Kwame's oop against Sac...

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Kwame's oop against Sac...

When I see Kwame make a play of the wing like that I just sit in amazement that he cannot get the NBA game down. It is such a shame because he is without a doubt one of the most awesome physical specimens in the league. On the dunk tip, the flying alley-oop from Kidd to VC two nights ago was just of the hook and one of the better in game dunks I have seen in a while.
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, man, that thing was so (bleep) sick. They need to run more alley-oop plays for him; he really seems to look very comfortable while catching lobs and putting them down.

^^ Farmar

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Kwame will only attempt to dunk it if he has a clear path to the basket (i.e. alley-oop, follow up, or nobody in front of him). If there is someone defending him, he tries to get around the player instead of going up strong or over the top (which I really think he can't do).

The guy needs to work on his agility. He shows flashes of what he could do, but he needs to work on his 2nd jump ability and getting off the floor quicker (ala Marion, KG, etc...). It takes him SO long to begin his jump that by the time he's in the air, the defender already catches up to him.

Unlike many, I think Kwame has good and solid defensive positioning. He uses his frame well, but without an ability to get off the ground quick and challenge shots, the defensive positioning and keeping solid grown does no good in the NBA.

He's got an NBA body, without the NBA agility. You can be strong in the NBA, but easily come out an average player.

When Kurt Rambis and Jeanie Buss were on the radio yesterday, Kurt made a point that was so frustrating to hear from a coach on the team, but at the same time very true. He said something to the effect of "Kwame physically has the tools to be a very good player. The problem with Kwame is that he thinks he can be an offensive player, but he's not. That's why we're trying to emphasize him being defensive minded and work for rebounds right now because his offensive game isn't what we need from him and it's not his strong point."

Maybe next year, Kwame will learn how to get his points and offensive production from lose balls, put-backs, etc... on a consistent basis. Right now, he's just barely showing slight improvement from the beginning of the year (not including pre-season).

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
un1bomber
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject:

kwame should just focus on getting easy buckets ... i think he doesnt want to be known as a player that does the "dirty work" ... but he should wake up and smell the coffee
703Soulja
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Kwame could be a good offensive player, his problem is that he's been funneled into being a 4/5. When he was drafted he thought he was gonna get to play 3/4, 5 only in small lineups. The Wizards instead wanted him to play big minutes at Center and thus Kwame's been bulking up. Now that its safe to say his back to the basket game shouldnt be his #1 option, you could see if he had worked out in a way to stay strong & lean, he'd be much better, closer to Odom. Instead he's bulked up but lost some quickness and agility and his ballhandling skills he possessed comin into the L...

how to fix this? idk im just rambling, just saying that kwame was a guard in a bigman's body and the wizards failed to capitalize on it and he's regressed past that option.
aFFie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject:

anyone have the video of the dunk? I want to show my boss, he missed the game.
sleepin4matty
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject:

703Soulja wrote:
Kwame could be a good offensive player, his problem is that he's been funneled into being a 4/5. When he was drafted he thought he was gonna get to play 3/4, 5 only in small lineups. The Wizards instead wanted him to play big minutes at Center and thus Kwame's been bulking up. Now that its safe to say his back to the basket game shouldnt be his #1 option, you could see if he had worked out in a way to stay strong & lean, he'd be much better, closer to Odom. Instead he's bulked up but lost some quickness and agility and his ballhandling skills he possessed comin into the L...

how to fix this? idk im just rambling, just saying that kwame was a guard in a bigman's body and the wizards failed to capitalize on it and he's regressed past that option.

That's really interesting. I never knew that about Kwame. But with everything else being said I think Kwame can be a monster on both ends of the court if he just had some dang confidence.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject:

aFFie wrote:
anyone have the video of the dunk? I want to show my boss, he missed the game.

Here ya go...

http://rapidshare.de/files/14005392/kwame_block_then_alley_oop.mpg.html
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject:

703Soulja wrote:

you need a jumpshot to be a 3/4, which Kwame clearly doesn't have.
703Soulja
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
703Soulja wrote:

you need a jumpshot to be a 3/4, which Kwame clearly doesn't have.

sigh.. what happens when you don't shoot the ball? You lose the jumper. If you knew anything about Kwame before the lakers you'd know that he was a perimeter player. Last year with the wizards his teammates one more than one occasion said he had a solid 15 foot jumpshot and encouraged him to take it. With everyone on the Lakers staff trying to drill into his head he's not an offensive player youre not going to get to see the jumper. Just look at the last two games on ESPN he's gotten all of 4 shots...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: