2021 free agency... not all that its hyped up to be?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: 2021 free agency... not all that its hyped up to be?

I keep hearing about the 2021 free agency and how important it is to have max cap space but what player can the Lakers realistically get really??

the obvious headliner for this draft is Giannis but it doesnt look like we have a chance at him. He clearly is not buddies with Lebron and AD, heck he dont even want to do scrims over the summer with them. It wouldnt surprise me if he doesnt even accept a meeting with the Lakers.
Kawhi and PG13 have opt outs but even snakes like them have enough self-pride to not jump battle lines in the LA rivalry like that.
After that who is left??
Jrue Holiday? Oladipo? Not the level of players that I'd say are worthy of freezing cap space just to get a meeting in the room during free agency.

From this I believe the Lakers priority in moves should be to maximize the talent we have in this 2-3 year window with Lebron over just trying to hold onto cap space. Im not saying run out and fill it up recklessly but they definitely should not be afraid to sign the right player who's contract may extend into 2021.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject:

We need the space to max Kuzma
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

I assume you are joking but I'll just throw out there that Kuzma's cap hold will be pretty small allowing us to make whatever moves we need before resigning him above the cap... if he's still here
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject:

If Bron opts into his 41m player option and AD’s 37.6m (2nd year max of contract he signs this summer) are the only players on the books, then along with Deng and incomplete roster charge cap hits, we will have roughly 30m in cap space.

The only way a maxed out Giannis to LA happens where Bron and AD are also making max dollar is via S&t so that the Bucks ain’t stuck with their thumbs up their bums .#buckshots

Only way to do that is to bring salary on board to trade to the Bucks with and even if we absorb Giannis’s deal into some of our own cap space that summer, we can’t go over the cap by more than 100k once the deal is done.

Giannis’s max on a projected 125m salary cap is 37.5m in year 1 of his deal. So let’s say we have 20m in cap space, we can absorb most of Giannis’s deal into that space and only need to send out 17.4m in salary.

So load up the salary sheet with contracts (which we didn’t this past summer since they all expire 2yrs from now for...cap space).

Anyways, that’s the only way we can catch any of that smoke. Now who’s next in the rotation?

https://media2.giphy.com/media/8fMM2xHRQG0qA/giphy.gif
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
If Bron opts into his 41m player option and AD’s 37.6m (2nd year max of contract he signs this summer) are the only players on the books, then along with Deng and incomplete roster charge cap hits, we will have roughly 30m in cap space.

The only way a maxed out Giannis to LA happens where Bron and AD are also making max dollar is via S&t so that the Bucks ain’t stuck with their thumbs up their bums .#buckshots

Only way to do that is to bring salary on board to trade to the Bucks with and even if we absorb Giannis’s deal into some of our own cap space that summer, we can’t go over the cap by more than 100k once the deal is done.

Giannis’s max on a projected 125m salary cap is 37.5m in year 1 of his deal. So let’s say we have 20m in cap space, we can absorb most of Giannis’s deal into that space and only need to send out 17.4m in salary.

So load up the salary sheet with contracts (which we didn’t this past summer since they all expire 2yrs from now for...cap space).

Anyways, that’s the only way we can catch any of that smoke. Now who’s next in the rotation?

https://media2.giphy.com/media/8fMM2xHRQG0qA/giphy.gif

yep totally forgot to mention that whatever Lebron decides to do can throw a wrench in our 2021 free agent plans regardless. Even if he opts out his cap hold will cripple what we can do.

Plus he has always preached to other players to not take discounts so we cant expect him to do something crazy like let us resign him to a budget contract
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Dang, this thread came early.
Lets do this!!!

Lebron for Siakam + VanVleet + 2022 1st

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 free agency... not all that its hyped up to be?

audioaxes wrote:
I keep hearing about the 2021 free agency and how important it is to have max cap space but what player can the Lakers realistically get really??

the obvious headliner for this draft is Giannis but it doesnt look like we have a chance at him. He clearly is not buddies with Lebron and AD, heck he dont even want to do scrims over the summer with them. It wouldnt surprise me if he doesnt even accept a meeting with the Lakers.
Kawhi and PG13 have opt outs but even snakes like them have enough self-pride to not jump battle lines in the LA rivalry like that.
After that who is left??
Jrue Holiday? Oladipo? Not the level of players that I'd say are worthy of freezing cap space just to get a meeting in the room during free agency.

From this I believe the Lakers priority in moves should be to maximize the talent we have in this 2-3 year window with Lebron over just trying to hold onto cap space. Im not saying run out and fill it up recklessly but they definitely should not be afraid to sign the right player who's contract may extend into 2021.

I never understood the Lakers two year focus.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Based on current way the below talent is playing, and our roster being built around AD-Lebron.

Max deals
1) Giannis
2) Rudy Gobert
3) Oladipo

Talent is talent. Gobert is Dwight and McGee into one. It would be like having the two of them, taking their skills and what they bring, and combining it into one player. You would still (at current roster situation) have Kuzma to re-sign using his bird rights. Gobert, AD, Kuzma, Lebron as point. That is incredible talent there IMO.

Right now Id go plan A Giannis, Plan B Rudy Plan C Oladipo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Sign Caruso to the lifetime Max
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:29 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Thank you this made my day
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Based on current way the below talent is playing, and our roster being built around AD-Lebron.

Max deals
1) Giannis
2) Rudy Gobert
3) Oladipo

Talent is talent. Gobert is Dwight and McGee into one. It would be like having the two of them, taking their skills and what they bring, and combining it into one player. You would still (at current roster situation) have Kuzma to re-sign using his bird rights. Gobert, AD, Kuzma, Lebron as point. That is incredible talent there IMO.

Dwight and McGee are proving exactly why you DONT need to sign a player like Gobert. He doesnt nearly justify signing him at a max when two near min players in Dwight and McGee are handling the center position just fine on the best team in the West. Plus Gobert and AD is a bad combo.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject:

I think AD is a full time Center by then..like Aldridge, KG, Timmy D evolved
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 free agency... not all that its hyped up to be?

activeverb wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

After that who is left??

That’s because there is no understanding. Like many of their recent moves, it is reactionary.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 free agency... not all that its hyped up to be?

activeverb wrote:

1 - Having flexibility is always good. As has been said many times, signing players isn't the only way to add talent. Cap space allows us to have more trade options, as well.

2 - What if LBJ decides to hang 'em up after the 20-21 season? Danny Green? JaVale McGee? You don't want to have mid-tier talent blocking the ability to add another mega-star with AD.

3 - KCP, Green, McGee, Rondo Caruso, Cook and Bradley are all expiring in June 2021. That means that from July 1, 2020 until the February 2021 trade deadline, we have $42.5 million in tradeable contracts to use to improve the team. Every season there are disgruntled stars who want to be traded. We will be a player because of the 2021 flexibility.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Max deals
1) Giannis
2) Rudy Gobert
3) Oladipo

That only happens if Lebron opts out and resigns for less. Otherwise we don't have cap space for a third max guy, let alone a third max guy plus Kuz.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 free agency... not all that its hyped up to be?

venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

After that who is left??

That’s because there is no understanding. Like many of their recent moves, it is reactionary.

Clueless as always
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
I think AD is a full time Center by then..like Aldridge, KG, Timmy D evolved

Funny how teams put those guys at PF early in their career to save their legs/maximize them, and then shift them late in their career to C to . . . save their legs/maximize them.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Max deals
1) Giannis
2) Rudy Gobert
3) Oladipo

That only happens if Lebron opts out and resigns for less. Otherwise we don't have cap space for a third max guy, let alone a third max guy plus Kuz.

That is the crucial point, we won’t have cap space for a max, just as we didn’t this past offseason. We need to do better filling around Lebron and AD in 2021. Especially since Lebron will be 2 years older.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Max deals
1) Giannis
2) Rudy Gobert
3) Oladipo

That is the crucial point, we won’t have cap space for a max, just as we didn’t this past offseason. We need to do better filling around Lebron and AD in 2021. Especially since Lebron will be 2 years older.

It will be interesting to see what happens. For all I know, Lebron and the Lakers might work out a deal where he opts out, sacrifices money for one year to sign a top free agent, and then resigns for a max extension. Could be that Lebron would sacrifice money for certain players, but not for others. Knowing Lebron, he'll probably be talking to a lot of free agents himself.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: