What do we know about the dynamics of the coaching staff?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: What do we know about the dynamics of the coaching staff?

No I don't mean if Jason Kidd is gunning for Vogel's job.

I am just wondering how the coaches are working together and what each of them brings. Lionel Hollins, Handy, Jason Kidd and some of the others. The results have been great.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
If I had to guess, it would be something like this

Jason Kidd - interim head coach
Lionel Hollins - defense
Phil Handy - development
Miles Simon - hold over from Luke’s staff, idk (conditioning?)
Mike Penberthy - shooting
Quinton Crawford - video coordinator

Our staff is very awesome, I would love to know who is bringing the biggest Impact on our coaching staff.

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What do we know about the dynamics of the coaching staff?

Scherm wrote:
No I don't mean if Jason Kidd is gunning for Vogel's job.

I am just wondering how the coaches are working together and what each of them brings. Lionel Hollins, Handy, Jason Kidd and some of the others. The results have been great.

I doubt anyone outside the coaching staff itself could answer that.

It can be hard enough to figure out what the head coach brings exactly to a winning team, let alone the assistant coaches.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Phil is quite Handy
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Phil is quite Handy

Jason's such a Kidd.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:13 am    Post subject:

This article link was posted in another thread. Looks really interesting and discusses how the coaches are working together. I wish I didn't need to sign up for a trial to read it.

LuciusAllen wrote:
Has this article been discussed yet?

https://theathletic.com/1407719/2019/11/25/a-family-approach-the-lakers-are-rolling-and-to-the-surprise-of-many-their-coaching-staff-is-making-it-all-work/

Great read if you can access it. Vogel seems to have buy-in from all the vets, and the coaches are all working well together (even if they do all want to be head coaches again soon).

Some snippets:

Quote:
Rajon Rondo ... who has had his share of run-ins with coaches in the past and who – as it turns out – wants to be a head coach someday…

“The biggest thing is that we’re all bought in. You get the team to that, and that’s over half the battle. …I’m always trying to (absorb) and learn. I always have an open mind, just to figure out people’s different philosophies. ... I came in with an open mind listening to what he has to say and his philosophies, and I couldn’t agree with him more – 100 percent. What I love most about him is how he teaches in the film room.

“He calls guys out. He teaches the right way, with constructive criticism. And like I said, the guys are so receptive...

“If you can talk to (LeBron as the coach), you can talk to anybody. (Vogel’s) delivery, his communication, is great...

Quote:
Avery Bradley, the Lakers’ 28-year-old guard who has been a member of the NBA’s all-defense teams twice ...

"I've never had a coach teach (like this) and feel comfortable enough to teach guys stuff they can improve on the defensive end. Like (Lakers center) Dwight (Howard at a recent practice), he’s showing how he can help our team by not fouling as much on certain plays. And he’s been doing that for everybody...

We’re doing the same thing on the offensive end. We have a great coach in Frank and Jason Kidd. Those guys are talking to us all the time, so we’re improving every single day. When our offense catches up? It’ll be scary."

Quote:
Jared Dudley, the 34-year-old forward who is playing in his 13th season...

"Some people might be saying (Kidd) is gunning for his job, (but) I see a family approach. I see them laughing. I see Vogel laughing with Kidd and Lionel Hollins. You see how they all have their own role... Obviously Vogel’s a big defensive guy, (so) you have (him) breaking down the opponents. Phil Handy (who is very popular among NBA stars and who took part in the last five Finals), going over certain personnel...

“I think that (Kidd) is more keen to listen (in this role compared to the Bucks). The first thing he ever told me was like, man, ‘Phil Handy’s really good.’ That was the first thing he even told me...
lounger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:53 am    Post subject:

Lakers coaching staff:

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
This article link was posted in another thread. Looks really interesting and discusses how the coaches are working together. I wish I didn't need to sign up for a trial to read it.

LuciusAllen wrote:
Has this article been discussed yet?

https://theathletic.com/1407719/2019/11/25/a-family-approach-the-lakers-are-rolling-and-to-the-surprise-of-many-their-coaching-staff-is-making-it-all-work/

Great read if you can access it. Vogel seems to have buy-in from all the vets, and the coaches are all working well together (even if they do all want to be head coaches again soon).

Some snippets:

Quote:
Rajon Rondo ... who has had his share of run-ins with coaches in the past and who – as it turns out – wants to be a head coach someday…

“The biggest thing is that we’re all bought in. You get the team to that, and that’s over half the battle. …I’m always trying to (absorb) and learn. I always have an open mind, just to figure out people’s different philosophies. ... I came in with an open mind listening to what he has to say and his philosophies, and I couldn’t agree with him more – 100 percent. What I love most about him is how he teaches in the film room.

“He calls guys out. He teaches the right way, with constructive criticism. And like I said, the guys are so receptive...

“If you can talk to (LeBron as the coach), you can talk to anybody. (Vogel’s) delivery, his communication, is great...

Quote:
Avery Bradley, the Lakers’ 28-year-old guard who has been a member of the NBA’s all-defense teams twice ...

"I've never had a coach teach (like this) and feel comfortable enough to teach guys stuff they can improve on the defensive end. Like (Lakers center) Dwight (Howard at a recent practice), he’s showing how he can help our team by not fouling as much on certain plays. And he’s been doing that for everybody...

We’re doing the same thing on the offensive end. We have a great coach in Frank and Jason Kidd. Those guys are talking to us all the time, so we’re improving every single day. When our offense catches up? It’ll be scary."

Quote:
Jared Dudley, the 34-year-old forward who is playing in his 13th season...

"Some people might be saying (Kidd) is gunning for his job, (but) I see a family approach. I see them laughing. I see Vogel laughing with Kidd and Lionel Hollins. You see how they all have their own role... Obviously Vogel’s a big defensive guy, (so) you have (him) breaking down the opponents. Phil Handy (who is very popular among NBA stars and who took part in the last five Finals), going over certain personnel...

“I think that (Kidd) is more keen to listen (in this role compared to the Bucks). The first thing he ever told me was like, man, ‘Phil Handy’s really good.’ That was the first thing he even told me...

refs been calling touchy bullcrap fouls on Dwight lately
jmnluvr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject:

This is a great staff. I liked Luke, but watching Sacramento last night I saw again so many of the little things that plagued us last year. Coaches are often not given enough credit in the NBA, but if you pay attention you can really see the difference.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject:

Not sure where else to put this, and the staff is doing awesome. But, can they tell the guys not to make full court passes unless the guy is wide open?

I don’t get the point of throwing it full court to a double teamed AD who is falling out of bounds for example.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject:

I'm all for keeping Vogel right now. I'd not consider Kidd for the job
if Vogel slipped up.

There's a reason everyone was speculating Kidd would undermine
Vogel...if it were up to me, I'd want no part of that type of head coach.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Not sure where else to put this, and the staff is doing awesome. But, can they tell the guys not to make full court passes unless the guy is wide open?

I don’t get the point of throwing it full court to a double teamed AD who is falling out of bounds for example.

If he's double-teamed then no don't make the pass but those passes will often give an advantage to the offense because the defense is not set.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
Phil is quite Handy

Jason's such a Kidd.

But luckily, Frank is vocal.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
epak wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
Phil is quite Handy

Jason's such a Kidd.

While Lionel gets things Hollins.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
epak wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
Phil is quite Handy

Jason's such a Kidd.

While Lionel gets things Hollins.

And Miles is like “Sí mon”
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: