Lonzo vs. Luka -- So Glad Lakers Dumped 'Zo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
D-Shiznit wrote:
Can you imagine in NOLA called us and said we'll give you Zo, BI, Hart and few picks in a trade for AD?

Rob would laugh for a good hour in their face before hanging up. We fleeced those Cajuns bad.

Just a few? We basically mortgaged our future for AD.

Our future is now. Pining for the future was the past 7 yrs. The thread re: Luka vs Lonzo shouldn't be about those two compared to each other, but should be a reminder that high picks or any picks are pie in the sky. We can even have the 2nd pick and it won't matter if we have it in the Lonzo draft instead of the Luka draft and still don't screw that up by passing on Luka. We have a better shot now at winning a title than we do turning future projects into a superstar or two. This franchise is better at taking other teams' already developed superstars and going from there. I don't even wanna think about another future of bad seasons and project draftees yet, cus we're probably talking about another 7 years or more of what we just went thru. Cherish these days, mang. The last 6/7 years were our first real foray into high draft picks and it turned out a disappointing affair. If anything I learned why the FO was happier to get #4 to trade it rather than to see who was out there. Drafts these days typically suck year after year. You not only have to get a 1-3 pick to nab a great player, but those great players are few and far between. Some drafts lack one entirely.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject:

a broken jump shot isn't Zo's biggest weakness. the biggest problem with Zo is his desire to fully concentrate on basketball, none of those off court rap battle sh*t
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
What makes it even funnier is that we had the option of trading them Kuzma instead of Ingram.

Ainge met with Griffin just before we made our trade. Tatum wasn't on the table, but Baynes/Smart/Brown plus several 2019 1st rounders and Memphis' 2020 or 2021 pick would've been a far better offer than Kuzma/Hart/Ball + picks. Not to mention they'd be sending him out of the Western Conference.

The picks we traded would likely be mediocre at best had the Pels offered to let us keep Ingram, making the Celtics' offer even stronger relative to ours.

So you don't think that we ever really had the option of keeping Ingram? What about the story that said we did?

Nope. They were chasing Kawhi and needed to get off of BI/Zo/4th pick’s salary. And that Deng stretch injected 5m plus into the cap deficit too. So if you keep BI you’d be missing a chance for a max FA. And Pels wanted BI and not Kuz it seems. I would have insisted the same.

I am sure that Ingram was a Pelican requirement to conclude the trade. Losing him because they didn’t know how to read Kawhi would have been a fireable offense.

That's a bit extreme, but we would have wasted an asset, if AD could've been had for Kuzma instead. Though chances are we'd miss out on one of KCP/Bradley, with Ingram's salary and one extra cap hold I think that's about $6M less to spend.

But if it were possible to have kept BI, who knows what Ingram/Green could've fetched together in a trade (assuming BI wasn't fitting in), Beal maybe? He's shown the ability to play with another ball-dominant player, especially in 2017.
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Even if Luka was available in 2017, more than likely the Lakers front office and fans would object to using the no. 2 pick on him. The hype on Lonzo from the media and his dad was out of this world that year, not to mentioned Lonzo was the hometown kid. There would be no way that we would have drafted Luka.

Lonzo can still have a long career in the NBA, but for the hype he received after completing his 1st college season and entering the draft, he's been a major disappointment.

Lavar is going around hyping up Lamelo as this generational and transcendent talent, and many basketball fans are being hoodwinked again. Some idiot GM will fall for it and draft Lamelo high and will get fired.
D-Shiznit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Look at even Ja Morant or Trae Young, you can just tell by watching them for 30 minutes that they have all star talent.

Lonzo on the other hand has yet to prove he's even a starting calibre PG. He's a bust, no 2 ways about it.
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject:

D-Shiznit wrote:
Look at even Ja Morant or Trae Young, you can just tell by watching them for 30 minutes that they have all star talent.

Lonzo on the other hand has yet to prove he's even a starting calibre PG. He's a bust, no 2 ways about it.

I think someone here said it best that he could be a taller version of Patrick Beverly, that's probably what he will be in this league. I don't even think he can get to be what Rubio is currently right now, hell a poor man's Rubio is what he is currently.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject:

I'm so glad that we got rid of Ball. He's not a bust, but he's way overhyped, injury prone and too passive and nonchalant.

Obviously he brings really good defense, passing and pace to the table (when he decides to be aggressive), but at best he's a borderline starter on a good team. A couple mentioned that he could be a taller version of Pat Beverly, but Beverly is a really good 3-point shooter, plus he's super aggressive and fiesty. Beverly is at the other end of the energy and passion spectrum than Ball.

I don't know what those on this board who thought (or still think) Ball will be an All-Star or a superstar saw in him. He has very little ability to score, other than than occasional pull-up 3-pointer.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
a broken jump shot isn't Zo's biggest weakness. the biggest problem with Zo is his desire to fully concentrate on basketball, none of those off court rap battle sh*t

I agree!

And would like to add that Ball is now coming off the bench and has scored a combined 8 points (in 2 games), while doing so: https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/pelicans-lonzo-ball-moves-to-bench/

And a quote from a recent ESPN article about Ball: "No other guard in NBA history has multiple seasons shooting under 46% from the free throw line with at least 40 attempts."

But we should not be so hard on him, after all, he is helping his current teams' chances of getting the number one draft pick next season as well!

Last edited by unleasHell on Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject:

His shooting is improved, but he still isn't much of a scorer. He is now making free throws at a non-embarrassing rate, but he doesn't draw fouls. His playmaking has not really developed from where he was as a rookie. His defense has fallen off a cliff this year.

I wouldn't write off a guy who just turned 22, but it would appear that his ceiling is a lot lower than people wanted to think.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject:

theres a big difference between being a good and willing passer and a playmaker. And to be a good playmaker you have to have the ability to break down a defense and draw help defenders to open up other players. I dont see this in Lonzo at all.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
His shooting is improved, but he still isn't much of a scorer. He is now making free throws at a non-embarrassing rate, but he doesn't draw fouls. His playmaking has not really developed from where he was as a rookie. His defense has fallen off a cliff this year.

I wouldn't write off a guy who just turned 22, but it would appear that his ceiling is a lot lower than people wanted to think.

Yeah. And I don't think the Pels is a good team for him either.
Zillethai
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject:

But but but he is such a good defender!
Zillethai
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject:

D-Shiznit wrote:
Yeah I was so all in for Zo, thought he would be an All-Star PG for us. But no, dude is a straight up bust, might not even be a starting calibre PG at this point.

Thank God we dumped the young "Core" for AD when we did.

I liked the "young core". They were so lovable and cuddly
Zillethai
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject:

D-Shiznit wrote:

I see what you did there
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Looking back at highlights of his "elite defense", seems the Lakers played a lot of box-and-one zone with Lonzo as the "one", when he was guarding Wall and Harden. I still think he plays passing lanes well, but he's not a lead guard defender.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Looking back at highlights of his "elite defense", seems the Lakers played a lot of box-and-one zone with Lonzo as the "one", when he was guarding Wall and Harden. I still think he plays passing lanes well, but he's not a lead guard defender.

That may be right. Still, he has the tools to be a much better defender than what he is showing this year. I think Yinoma is onto something when he says that the Pelicans are a bad fit for him. But then, we won't really know how things are going to play out until Zion gets back.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject:

His lack of handles and creativity in the half-court have always been his major weakness.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Zillethai wrote:
D-Shiznit wrote:

I see what you did there

He's looking like average to below average marginal NBA talent, way below the ceiling of what people were expecting when he was the #2 pick in the draft. Unfortunately, him and his dad tricked a lot of people, getting them to buy his shoes and was able to trick Magic into drafting a hometown boy.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
D-Shiznit wrote:
Can you imagine in NOLA called us and said we'll give you Zo, BI, Hart and few picks in a trade for AD?

Rob would laugh for a good hour in their face before hanging up. We fleeced those Cajuns bad.

Just a few? We basically mortgaged our future for AD.

So far it looks like we cashed in to get AD, hope the future shows that we actually bought low
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: