How good would this team have been if we had gotten Kawhi Leonard instead of depth?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How good would this team have been if we had gotten Kawhi Leonard instead of depth?
Much better than we are now.
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
Significantly better
16%
 16%  [ 8 ]
Slightly better
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
Around the same
18%
 18%  [ 9 ]
Slightly worse
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
Somewhat worse
24%
 24%  [ 12 ]
Significantly worse
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 50

LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Laker4lifer4real wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
I would've signed Kawhi . . . but his health was always a concern for me.

We may have dodged a bullet.

The Clippers are the Angels of LA. Free agent signings have hype, but never pan out, like Langston to Pujols, etc. Even with Chris Paul, Griffin, and Deandre Jordan Just hype, no postseason success. Can’t wait to change the narrative Christmas Day.

The Angels have also won the most recent World Series for the LA area. In the past 32 seasons, neither the Dodgers can claim that. So comparing them to the Clippers would be wrong. It’s also wrong that the Angels have the greatest baseball player to have ever lived and they can’t market him at all. The Clippers are way better in that Dept.

You think Trout is better than Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez, Hank Aaron, Lou Gehrig, Babe Ruth, etc.?

If he played for the Dodgers, Yankees, or Red Sox Trout would be considered a living GOAT.

I don’t think you can honestly pick just one player to put above all others, regardless of Trout’s merits. Too much variance in the game.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
drae wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
Would you trade Green + KCP + McGee for this year's Kawhi?

Our team is definitely a better regular season team, but it all comes down to health in May/June. Going the Kawhi route looks like a pretty big gamble at the moment. We'll never know how that would work out.

The question which needs to be asked is … can Kawhi survive the physical rigors of the Playoffs?

Current evidence suggests no

Playoffs in December?

He has a spare leg he can magically attach in April?
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Harrell is better

Defensive liability
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
How are the Clippers this good if Kawhi is performing at a near career worst? How did they beat us on opening night without Paul George? (I didn't watch.) Is he really no longer an elite defender?

This good? In 2018-19 after 23 games the Clippers were 16-7
In 2019-20 after 23 games the Clippers are 16-7

Yes, definitely so very good
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
How are the Clippers this good if Kawhi is performing at a near career worst? How did they beat us on opening night without Paul George? (I didn't watch.) Is he really no longer an elite defender?

Where are all the wins coming from if not Kawhi? (And PG last year.)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
drae wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

There are 5 teams in the league that should molly whop the bottom 20 teams in the league almost every night, home or away.
Us, Clippers, Bucks, Sixers, and Rockets. Clippers have for the most part taken care of the bottom 20 teams when they run into them. They barely beat HOU without Eric Gordon and House. That and their opening night win against us were their best wins of the season.
People keep saying, "they have the same team as last year + PG13 and Kawhi". Which actually isn't accurate.
Last year they had SGA and Gallo. Both are gone now.
Last year they had no true all star on the team. Which suited Doc's coaching IMO. Low pressure, barely a player hierarchy, players bought into the coach's vision. Now it's the opposite. Coach is catering to the players' (Kawhi/PG13) vision. This team is a different beast. Their offense looks 10x more predictable than last year. And there's less ball to go around for the players who were there last year.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject:

F* that Kawhi Coulda/Shoulda/Woulda
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
drae wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

There are 5 teams in the league that should molly whop the bottom 20 teams in the league almost every night, home or away.
Us, Clippers, Bucks, Sixers, and Rockets. Clippers have for the most part taken care of the bottom 20 teams when they run into them. They barely beat HOU without Eric Gordon and House. That and their opening night win against us were their best wins of the season.
People keep saying, "they have the same team as last year + PG13 and Kawhi". Which actually isn't accurate.
Last year they had SGA and Gallo. Both are gone now.
Last year they had no true all star on the team. Which suited Doc's coaching IMO. Low pressure, barely a player hierarchy, players bought into the coach's vision. Now it's the opposite. Coach is catering to the players' (Kawhi/PG13) vision. This team is a different beast. Their offense looks 10x more predictable than last year. And there's less ball to go around for the players who were there last year.

So why all this talk about LAC being the best team in the Western Conference? Sounds like they've just had an easy schedule and have great depth rather than PG13 and Kawhi being the unstoppable duo that was predicted.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

So why all this talk about LAC being the best team in the Western Conference? Sounds like they've just had an easy schedule and have great depth rather than PG13 and Kawhi being the unstoppable duo that was predicted.

Heh, Ballmer paying off the media gets results
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Kawhi will regret not signing the supermax if his knee gets worse. Two year contract is very risky for his condition.

Ironically playing against Lebron just puts the Clips in his shadow again. He would have increased his brand and national exposure by playing with the Lakers like whats happening with AD right now.

Fun man makes unfun mistakes.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like a coping thread because most people here are predetermining the grapes are sour . Reserved my judgment until when it really matters and the revenge is sweeter than whatever that grapes can bear.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
Sounds like a coping thread because most people here are predetermining the grapes are sour . Reserved my judgment until when it really matters and the revenge is sweeter than whatever that grapes can bear.

Hence my comment about worrying about the playoffs in December. For all we know, it’s possible that neither the Lakers or Clippers make the playoffs.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
CRoost wrote:

Hence my comment about worrying about the playoffs in December. For all we know, it’s possible that neither the Lakers or Clippers make the playoffs.

It seems like because we have not been to the playoff for a long time that we get too excited in December. The regular season is meant for developing the team to get ready and hopefully healthy by playoff.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:
Kawhi will regret not signing the supermax if his knee gets worse. Two year contract is very risky for his condition.

Ironically playing against Lebron just puts the Clips in his shadow again. He would have increased his brand and national exposure by playing with the Lakers like whats happening with AD right now.

Fun man makes unfun mistakes.

Without looking it up for certainty i'm pretty sure he has a third year player option which I have no doubt he'd pick up if he was really hurt. That's why if I was a Clippers fan i'd be sweating a bit since George can be a free agent after next season and if they fold both years due to health I see him leaving asap along with all those draft picks the Clippers gave up. They would pretty much be in ruins for awhile. Obviously that's worst case scenario and being this early in the season the exact opposite could also happen.

You have to also believe a lot of those role players putting it all on the line nightly while watching the Lakers demolish everyone across the hall and move up in the standings is only going to grow more possible friction as the season goes on until they make a big turn around which I do not see happening until 2020 at least with the brutal upcoming road trip schedule they have which started with a game they were down 30-40 for most of it while having pretty much the full roster playing

I still see people everywhere bringing up that 1st game but the Lakers are a completely different team through and through since then.

Kawhi was getting wrecked by Giannis in that last game (along with anyone else that tried to guard him) because he didn't have that elite defense surrounding him with a sound gameplan which worked incredibly well by both the Raptors and Utah Jazz now. George has also looked underwhelming defensively for much of the games i've seen as well. Not saying they are horrible but def. not "one of the greatest perimeter defenses we will ever see" as we were hearing so much about.

Lastly, it's getting borderline ridiculous how much of a pass Kawhi is getting. I see people that still have him as a top 5 mvp candidate while missing a ton of games and putting up pretty awful numbers (percentage wise especially) and mediocre defense for a super star caliber player. He could very well turn it around but up to this point he should not be getting any positive hype imo. He does look legitimately hurt and 2-3 steps slower like he has damn near no athleticism left. I'm not sure if it's mostly due to an injury on top of his ongoing issues or what but im guessing it's a combo of both. How much better is he going to get as the season goes on, or is he just going to continue to get worse?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Laker4lifer4real wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

The Clippers are the Angels of LA. Free agent signings have hype, but never pan out, like Langston to Pujols, etc. Even with Chris Paul, Griffin, and Deandre Jordan Just hype, no postseason success. Can’t wait to change the narrative Christmas Day.

The Angels have also won the most recent World Series for the LA area. In the past 32 seasons, neither the Dodgers can claim that. So comparing them to the Clippers would be wrong. It’s also wrong that the Angels have the greatest baseball player to have ever lived and they can’t market him at all. The Clippers are way better in that Dept.

You think Trout is better than Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez, Hank Aaron, Lou Gehrig, Babe Ruth, etc.?

If he played for the Dodgers, Yankees, or Red Sox Trout would be considered a living GOAT.

I don’t think you can honestly pick just one player to put above all others, regardless of Trout’s merits. Too much variance in the game.

As with the NBA and NFL, I try to compare players within eras as much as I can.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject:

record likely wouldnt be as good with his load management but we'd definitely would be a better team

we have a ton of depth now but come playoffs you condense to a 8 man rotation:

Lebron
AD
Kawhi
Bradley
Caruso
Dwight
Cook (he's such a Laker fan he'd probably still sign... vet min is only like 1 mill less than what he's at now)
Daniels

Im sure we could have found a few more solid vet min level players to round this team up
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Less wins regular season.

Higher outcome playoffs.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Laker4lifer4real wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

As with the NBA and NFL, I try to compare players within eras as much as I can.

That’s a start, at least
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject:

PostMalone24 wrote:
Yeah I saw a report as well from a DR the same one that predicted if KD came back and played in the finals he would end up tearing his achiles which he did.

He said that Kawhis knees are only going to get worse, and it's definitely a degenerative knee issue he assumed he has no more than 2-4 years to play max and will probably retire to it.

I mean look at him now it does really seem its just getting worse & worse.

Good info. I have heard similar regarding Kawhi. The muscles are overworked to compensate for different areas. The load management becomes a crutch.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: