Pregnant woman saves husband, kills one of two home intruders with AR-15
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
If I were the woman (or her husband), I would've rather taken a baseball bat and struck the robbers in the head many times than simply kill him with one shot.

That would've been much more satisfying for me, and the robber would've had to feel massive, brutal pain rather than be put out of his misery by getting killed.

So bring a bat to a gun fight?
You realize the robbers were armed with handguns right?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
slavavov wrote:
If I were the woman (or her husband), I would've rather taken a baseball bat and struck the robbers in the head many times than simply kill him with one shot.

That would've been much more satisfying for me, and the robber would've had to feel massive, brutal pain rather than be put out of his misery by getting killed.

So bring a bat to a gun fight?
You realize the robbers were armed with handguns right?

Nah man, you just dodge the bullets or use the bat to ricochet them back towards the bad guys. I have seen it done in the movies. And if they have you trapped in a back room and you have no phone....just tap into the home electrical grid with a paper clip and rubber band to give Morris Code signal with the porch light....surely your neighbors will know Morris Code from their time in Special Forces.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:09 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/GrantB911/status/1211384089019858946

if there weren't good guys with guns.. this would have been a massacre.

you won't see this on main stream media.

Also.. the "weapons of war" talking point is nothing but anti 2A garbage.. you realize they carry pistols in war right?

I own an AR15.. its not a big scary military weapon of war. its the most popular rifle. mainly because its customizable. and it basically shoots a 22size round.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:

Also.. the "weapons of war" talking point is nothing but anti 2A garbage.. you realize they carry pistols in war right?

I own an AR15.. its not a big scary military weapon of war. its the most popular rifle. mainly because its customizable. and it basically shoots a 22size round.

Pistols are only carried in war as a secondary sidearm.

And that .22 round has a huge cartridge behind it that propels it at 3250 feet per second, which means a torso hit is almost certain death. Totally different than a handgun.

We can have differing opinions, but pedaling false facts is not the way to address them.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject:

false facts? you just affirmed everything I said..

pistol is a weapon of war..secondary or not..

and .223 is what an AR15 shoots..

tell me what's false??
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:44 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:

tell me what's false??

Come on man. A knife is a weapon of war too, but that’s not what’s being discussed. An ar-15 is a specialized killing weapon at a combination of distances and volumes you won’t get from a handgun, shotgun, or even a hunting rifle. When you say a pistol is a weapon of war as a way of diminishing the obvious difference between the two, that’s deliberately dishonest.

And .223 isn’t .22 in any but the most obtuse technicality. It’s a cartridge that mains and kills with almost any strike.

I carried one of these for years. I’ve used it. I know what it does. If you have a good argument you don’t need to mislead people.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject:

not trying to mislead people.

I agree with your logical conclusions.. which is where places like the UK eventually go.. outlaw rifles.. outlaw handguns.. outlaw knives.. its the natural logical progression..and I think all of it is wrong. there's far too much gov't control and that's why we have a 2A.

you want to talk about misleading?

https://me.me/i/this-is-the-size-of-a-hole-made-by-an-22691629

here you go.

I never said that an AR shoots a 22LR round.. that's misleading..

the whole point of my argument is that people consider the AR15 a big scary gun.. when in fact its the most popular rifle out there..
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:02 am    Post subject:

You said it shoots a 22 sized round, and equated it to a handgun. Both are meant to artificiality minimize its potency. Its velocity and agility allow you to achieve high powered results in the target acquisition ability of a handgun. It is a very lethal weapon.

And the whole “you have to be coming for all weapons it’s you’re coming for this one” is tired NRA propaganda. You’re not allowed a stinger missile. Why not? Isn’t coming for stinger missives just a prelude to coming for your handgun?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:05 am    Post subject:

Btw. Opiates are very popular. Doesn’t really address whether or not they are deadly.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:14 am    Post subject:

opiates? what on earth.. left field bro..
let's stay on topic.

what is a .223 if its not a 22 sized round? you're attributing ill intent when there was none.

do you not see the progression? or has living in LA blinded you..

they limit free speech in the name of safe spaces..
they take your weapons in the name of gun free zones
they take your property in the name of climate control
let's give cops and the gov't everything..
you must really trust the gov't.

I sure as hell don't.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
opiates? what on earth.. left field bro..
let's stay on topic.

what is a .223 if its not a 22 sized round? you're attributing ill intent when there was none.

do you not see the progression? or has living in LA blinded you..

they limit free speech in the name of safe spaces..
they take your weapons in the name of gun free zones
they take your property in the name of climate control
let's give cops and the gov't everything..
you must really trust the gov't.

I sure as hell don't.

Well you were the one who tried to relate popularity to not being all that dangerous. You told us it’s not any more a weapon of war than a handgun, that it only shoots a 22 projectile, and that it’s very popular, all in an admitted attempt to tell us it’s not as dangerous as it is made out to be. Which you know is false. And I know it. So stop doubling down on the bs.

And your little paragraph of paranoia is as with everything else not making your case. Not one rebuttal of the danger of the ar15. Oh, and I don’t live in LA. I’ve spent most of my personal and professional life in rural USA. And I’m not against gun ownership. Oops. But now we’re onto they are coming for you. You got any other crap arguments or can we get to the facts about the lethality of assault rifles like the ar15?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:59 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

Pistols are only carried in war as a secondary sidearm.

And that .22 round has a huge cartridge behind it that propels it at 3250 feet per second, which means a torso hit is almost certain death. Totally different than a handgun.

We can have differing opinions, but pedaling false facts is not the way to address them.

I've seen 2A/AR defenders try to deny the case made by someone who thought AR stood for Automatic Rifle (instead of Armalite). They've said, if you don't even know that (technicality), then you should have no voice regarding its legality. Or they'll use against a non-gun lover the trigger pull distinction and precise definitions of terms like semi-automatic and automatic and machine gun.

The real difference is the devastation caused by the round when it hits someone. One of the designers named Eugene Stoner said they heard tale of an enemy in the field who bled out from an ankle hit. You can see the difference between a handgun and an AR in military shows like the one R. Lee Ermey used to host (RIP). They'll often demonstrate the cavitation and the path of the shot from different weapons in ballistics jelly. A .38 handgun path is relatively small and straight like a straw. An AR15 round lifts the block off the table and a giant hole expands in the center of the block while its in air, nearly rips it in two. The AR round also tumbles inside the victim to increase lethality. Anyone shot in the torso by an AR who survives long enough to reach the OR is a mini-miracle. People hit in the torso by handguns, given prompt medical attention, often do survive.

A 20 year Navy SEAL who was shot in the leg by a similar AK47 round during a mission to find the defector Bowe Bergdahl lost his leg. I remember a released pic of him sitting in the helivac while sucking on a Fentanyl sucker and looking glum. Gunshots to limbs by "normal pistols" don't cause nearly as much destruction.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:

tell me what's false??

Let's put it this way.

A .22 is a Honda Civic

A .223 is a Honda Civic with a twin turbo big block V8.

Technically, yes, they're both Civics, but to say they're the same car means you are either being misleading or have no clue what you're talking about. There are no other explanations.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:

someone got away with this in Texas and killed a lot of people a few years ago....It likely will not happen in one of these rural churches in Texas again. I wish other common targets took more proactive measures like rural Texas churches.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject:

Worth noting that the 5.56 (ar15/m16) and 7.62x39 (aks/ak47) we’re developed coming out of ww2 to solve a specific problem:

The larger bore combat rifles were great at distance and stopping power, but their weight, length, and recoil made them very difficult to control in automatic fire and close quarter combat, where maneuverability to pick up multiple fast moving targets was beyond the big guns. This necessitated the use of machine pistols, chambered in handgun loads but with longer barrels to increase accuracy and range and killing velocity (because a handgun is a weapon of last resort on a battlefield, suitable only for emergency and/or extremely close action). Neither weapon was as good at the other in one end (stopping power vs maneuverable use at closer ranges) of the spectrum, and carrying two was cumbersome, both in terms of the weight and bulk of two weapons and the ammunition for both.

The 5.56 and 7.62x39 loads are “cut down” versions of rifle loads that functionally delivered a weapon that combined more stopping power and range than the machine pistols while giving better maneuverability and fire rates than the full size loads and guns. This allowed the carry of one gun that had acceptable range but was much more lethal in the shorter ranges that much of urban based combat took place at. You can basically cycle through targets with similar speed to a handgun while putting super lethal (5.56 is twice as fast and twice as heavy as the hottest 22lr loads for exponentially higher damage btw, so mentioning the fact that they are both the same effective width is only an indication of lack of knowledge or attempt to mislead, in the context of describing lethality) firepower into play. The best of both worlds so to speak.

Also, soldiers rarely use full auto in combat situations with assault weapons. The cyclic rate of these guns empties magazines too quickly to make it useful on multiple targets spread over more than a few feet, and even short bursts tend to blow through too much ammo. On semi auto, you can put out multiple rounds per second and cycle between more and wider targets while controlling the direction of each round better. With a 30 round mag you can put two rounds at fifteen different targets in a very short period of time at high levels of accuracy, where a hit from either round is highly likely to kill. With a longer rifle you’d be hitting way fewer targets in that time, and have trouble cycling between them, and with a handgun you could cycle as quickly but have limits on accuracy and stopping power (and rounds in all but a few large mag guns). So anyone trying to minimize the civilian ar-15 vs the military version is selling you a bill of goods. It is in almost all ways that matter the genuine article.

One guy with an assault weapon will likely have more kills over a given time period than 2-3 people with handguns at close ranges, even more at moderate range, and the results would be similar with rifles (fewer shots but higher kill ratio than a handgun for a rifle).

In terms of public safety, rifles present the largest threat of over penetration, resulting in potential innocent casualties with misses, and handguns are much more concealable resulting in higher chance to sneak one somewhere, but the assault rifle, when deployed, is the far more lethal danger to the broadest number of people.

What people should be allowed to carry where and when is a legit argument that has waged forever, and even gun enthusiasts are able to see the difference between being allowed to carry a firearm and a bazooka. So regardless of where you stand on the right to carry in principle, it is important to not revolve into nonsense tactics with regard to the factual differences in types of weapons.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

tell me what's false??

Let's put it this way.

A .22 is a Honda Civic

Technically, yes, they're both Civics, but to say they're the same car means you are either being misleading or have no clue what you're talking about. There are no other explanations.

no no.. you are actually saying what I'm talking about..

honda civic.. highly customizable.. therefore is super popular.. just like the AR15.

that's my entire point. Omar has me arguing semantics about cartridge which I don't disagree with. Clearly the .223 is not a .22LR

its just not the big scary gun the media has portrayed it to be.

if they're going to demonize a gun.. go after the lapua 308 or something.. not the honda civic of guns..

https://images.app.goo.gl/95GCbBHQo4ZGEf2e8
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

someone got away with this in Texas and killed a lot of people a few years ago....It likely will not happen in one of these rural churches in Texas again. I wish other common targets took more proactive measures like rural Texas churches.

The danger of the “good guy with a gun” is manifested in more bullets flying in multiple directions (imagine being in a mall and someone opens up with a gun and four more guys open up from other locations), where even highly trained police and military have a hard time avoiding friendly targets, and in the problem for police responders, both from the standpoint above, and identifying the “bad guys” from the “good guys”. Sad as it may be, a site that considers itself a vulnerable target is better off hiring security than relying on unorganized civilian response.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

tell me what's false??

Let's put it this way.

A .22 is a Honda Civic

no no.. you are actually saying what I'm talking about..

honda civic.. highly customizable.. therefore is super popular.. just like the AR15.

that's my entire point. Omar has me arguing semantics about cartridge which I don't disagree with. Clearly the .223 is not a .22LR

its just not the big scary gun the media has portrayed it to be.

if they're going to demonize a gun.. go after the lapua 308 or something.. not the honda civic of guns..

https://images.app.goo.gl/95GCbBHQo4ZGEf2e8

This is just absolutely false and you know it. I have spent an exhaustive post so other people will understand what you are trying to do (first trying to use the 22 angle to argue the gun isn’t a big bad gun, then denying that, while coming back to it again). The ar15 is a mass casualty high mortality rate weapon on a completely different plane than a handgun or hunting rifle. Period. Full stop.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject:

Fwiw, I think you meant the Lapua 338 magnum (the big shell on the right of your picture), which is a long range sniper weapon not real well suited to multiple close range targets. Similarly the 308 Winchester, pictured next to it, is a full rifle cartridge with huge stopping power but too much weight and barrel length and recoil for maximum combat efficiency (this is essentially identical for all but the most pedantic purposes to the ammo in the m14 that the m16 replacer for the purposes I illustrated above). Just throwing out fatter longer cartridges is not making your point any more than equating the ar15 to handguns and the 22 caliber.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject:

Oh, and the socom 458 (to the the immediate right of the .556 in your pic) is a heavier but slower round than the .556 (similar to the ak47 round in that regard) that can be retro fitted into, guess what? An ar 15! It is used where more penetration, pure stopping power via mass and energy, and subsonic (silencer friendly) use in clandestine ops.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The ar15 is a mass casualty high mortality rate weapon on a completely different plane than a handgun or hunting rifle. Period. Full stop.

Are you saying that the semi automatic AR15 using a .223 is on a different plane (I'm guessing you mean a deadlier plane) than another semi-automatic rifle using a .223? Also, when you say hunting rifle, are you excluding other larger caliber rifles such as the 30-6?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
The ar15 is a mass casualty high mortality rate weapon on a completely different plane than a handgun or hunting rifle. Period. Full stop.

Are you saying that the semi automatic AR15 using a .223 is on a different plane (I'm guessing you mean a deadlier plane) than another semi-automatic rifle using a .223? Also, when you say hunting rifle, are you excluding other larger caliber rifles such as the 30-6?

The ar15 ir similar is on a different plane than many other .223 rifles due to its characteristics of light weight, maneuverability, capacity. You can replicate it in other forms but what you’re really doing is creating another assault weapon. An assault weapon has high capacity, maneuverability/ease of use in multiple target acquisition, and significant lethality of projectile similar to that of a full on long rifle (it will generally lack the range of such weapons). Lack of recoil is a common feature which helps with rapid switching between targets with accuracy.

The ought six is a caliber, and generally only found in long rifles as its size and kick are not assault rifle friendly. The important thing to remember about weapons classes are portability, capacity, ease of use, rate of useful fire and target acquisition, range, and lethality of projectile. The assault rifle maximizes all of those except sacrificing range (and pure stopping power per projectile) to rifles, and pure portability to handguns. It combines their best features into the best multiple target combat weapon at close and mid range. That’s all it is. It can come in many forms.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

The danger of the “good guy with a gun” is manifested in more bullets flying in multiple directions (imagine being in a mall and someone opens up with a gun and four more guys open up from other locations), where even highly trained police and military have a hard time avoiding friendly targets, and in the problem for police responders, both from the standpoint above, and identifying the “bad guys” from the “good guys”. Sad as it may be, a site that considers itself a vulnerable target is better off hiring security than relying on unorganized civilian response.

And indeed the guy who shot the gunmen was hired by the church and a former Hood County reserve deputy and a firearms instructor.

The gunmen? A transient, with multiple arrests and warrants. So why do we protect this "bad guy's" 2A rights?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

The ar15 ir similar is on a different plane than many other .223 rifles due to its characteristics of light weight, maneuverability, capacity. You can replicate it in other forms but what you’re really doing is creating another assault weapon. An assault weapon has high capacity, maneuverability/ease of use in multiple target acquisition, and significant lethality of projectile similar to that of a full on long rifle (it will generally lack the range of such weapons). Lack of recoil is a common feature which helps with rapid switching between targets with accuracy.

The ought six is a caliber, and generally only found in long rifles as its size and kick are not assault rifle friendly. The important thing to remember about weapons classes are portability, capacity, ease of use, rate of useful fire and target acquisition, range, and lethality of projectile. The assault rifle maximizes all of those except sacrificing range (and pure stopping power per projectile) to rifles, and pure portability to handguns. It combines their best features into the best multiple target combat weapon at close and mid range. That’s all it is. It can come in many forms.

I'm glad you clarified your view. When you said "The ar15 is a mass casualty high mortality rate weapon on a completely different plane than a handgun or hunting rifle," one could get the impression that the rifle itself (not retrofitted and/or fitted with a large mag), was deadlier than nearly all other hunting rifles.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I'm glad you clarified your view. When you said "The ar15 is a mass casualty high mortality rate weapon on a completely different plane than a handgun or hunting rifle," one could get the impression that the rifle itself (not retrofitted and/or fitted with a large mag), was deadlier than nearly all other hunting rifles.

The ar15 is deadly because it is all of those things. That’s what makes it what it is. It is designed specifically for all the attributes that make up the wishlist of a mass shooter. Because a mass shooter and a combat infantryman have similar needs in a weapon.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: