Alex Caruso #4 in All Star West Guard voting with over 800K voters! Updated!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:

Let's get him into 3rd

That is exactly what I was hoping for. I just know how pissed people will be. Everyone gets the double the votes from now until voting ends on the 20th. Get him to a million votes.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject:

AD getting more votes than KL and PG combined

Welcome to the Lakers, baby.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
I've not in favor of a fans of a particular team stuffing the ballot box. The NBA agrees, which is why they added the media and players vote. This eliminates embarrassments like AC Green being voted in over Karl Malone.

Why is it an embarrassment. Why even use that word. If votes say one player is who fans want to watch, then that is who fans want to watch. And being who fans want to watch = being an all star.

Whether you judge one player to be better than another is not what it's about. That's what all nba is for. All star is all players people want to watch. If the majority wants to watch alex caruso but you don't, that doesn't suddenly make it so he shouldn't be an all star. And saying stuff like 'it's an embarrassment' really doesn't add anything to this discussion
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Fans pay the bills
Hype pays the fans
Caursavich he might become
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
I've not in favor of a fans of a particular team stuffing the ballot box. The NBA agrees, which is why they added the media and players vote. This eliminates embarrassments like AC Green being voted in over Karl Malone.

Why is it an embarrassment. Why even use that word. If votes say one player is who fans want to watch, then that is who fans want to watch. And being who fans want to watch = being an all star.

Whether you judge one player to be better than another is not what it's about. That's what all nba is for. All star is all players people want to watch. If the majority wants to watch alex caruso but you don't, that doesn't suddenly make it so he shouldn't be an all star. And saying stuff like 'it's an embarrassment' really doesn't add anything to this discussion

It is an embarrassment. You not agreeing doesn't make it not so.. I'm an NBA fan, and I don't want to see AC in an all-star game. With that being said he's doing a good job in his role here.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
AD getting more votes than KL and PG combined

Welcome to the Lakers, baby.

He's earned them..
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject:

I hope we have some F-15 Eagles do a flyover for him

Haters would (bleep) lose it
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Come on guys!
If we focus, we can get him #2 and into the game!
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
activeverb wrote:

If you don’t mind that being an all-star means nothing then I guess it’s no big deal. But it should be a showcasing of the top talents.

Not an instance where a “vote for the worst” can get an inferior player in. I’m with activeverb on this one.

This happened 4 years ago in the NHL. They gave fans the vote and they voted in a guy who had 11 games to his career as a troll job which is what is happening here too.

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/nhl-all-star-game-john-scott-gary-bettman-fans-best-prank-ever-013116
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Do fans vote in the coach?

On the upside.. to have AC mingle with the greats in the league. His learning experience could become invaluable to him and the Lakers.

Kobe picked Duncans ear and learned a ton on the mechanics of left handed shooting. Then he asked Gary Payton for any help he could give him on defense.. and the game overall...

When Kobes right shoulder was injured he used the knowledge gleaned from Duncan to help him use his left side and even left handed shots
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Just got another credit in for The Accountant!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Just got another credit in for The Accountant!
Yep. His intangibles and goodwill are through the roof!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Come on guys!
If we focus, we can get him #2 and into the game!

That's right. He already soared past Westbrook, now Dame's looking over his shoulder at a charging Accountant!
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
activeverb wrote:

If you don’t mind that being an all-star means nothing then I guess it’s no big deal. But it should be a showcasing of the top talents.

Not an instance where a “vote for the worst” can get an inferior player in. I’m with activeverb on this one.

This happened 4 years ago in the NHL. They gave fans the vote and they voted in a guy who had 11 games to his career as a troll job which is what is happening here too.

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/nhl-all-star-game-john-scott-gary-bettman-fans-best-prank-ever-013116

Love it
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Love it

It was funny, but also shows you can’t give too much power to the fans because they’ll likely end up doing dumb things with it.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Love it

It was funny, but also shows you can’t give too much power to the fans because they’ll likely end up doing dumb things with it.

Couldn’t care less. Fans make the league possible
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

It isn't a showcase of top talents. It's a party weekend where all the players spend the long weekend getting trashed and then play a garbage game on Sunday. In between you have garbage dunk contests, garbage 3 point contests, a garbage rookie-sophmore game and a garbage skills contest. Does anyone actually watch this crap anymore? The game is going to be a 176-164 no defense fest with a billion turnovers. AC being on the court for 5 minutes of a 48 minute long garbage time game will have no net effect on the garbage nature of the game. The only difference is that I would probably subject myself to watching the horror show of a basketball game to see AC.

Also, it is important to stick it to the fans of the other 29 teams. This should be a priority of any true Lakers fan. That means you always vote a straight Lakers ticket, you stuff the ballot box and you live on the salty tears of your enemies when they cry because you got your 3rd string PG in the all-star game over their "star." This is the only thing that matters. Lets not pretend that this game means anything.

If we want to acknowledge who the best actual players are, fans, media and no one else have no business being in that business. Use an algo like every other modern field of human endeavor. Crunch the numbers and determine whoever the top 20/30/40 whatever players are, no emotions in it. If you want them to have a competitive game, then go with some modification of Silver's mid-season tournament, and make up teams of actual stars and have them play a tournament with some sort of big stakes monetary prize. Want to see an even better game? Have another tournament with relatively low paid guys like AC and have them play for big dollars. Do you something to make the game matter.

At the end of the day no one cares if the East or West won, and no one remembers who was an all-star MVP. But again, at the end of the day, we will all remember the salty tears of the fans of the other teams if we get AC into the otherwise meaningless game. Stop taking your eye off the prize. That prize is worth so much more than anything else--especially if AC gets more votes than that walking referee whistle Harden or one of those Clipper guys. So cut the nonsense about the sanctity of this trash game and meaningless all-star label and just stuff the proverbial ballot box. It is our duty as Lakers fans.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

It isn't a showcase of top talents. It's a party weekend where all the players spend the long weekend getting trashed and then play a garbage game on Sunday. In between you have garbage dunk contests, garbage 3 point contests, a garbage rookie-sophmore game and a garbage skills contest. Does anyone actually watch this crap anymore? The game is going to be a 176-164 no defense fest with a billion turnovers. AC being on the court for 5 minutes of a 48 minute long garbage time game will have no net effect on the garbage nature of the game. The only difference is that I would probably subject myself to watching the horror show of a basketball game to see AC.

Also, it is important to stick it to the fans of the other 29 teams. This should be a priority of any true Lakers fan. That means you always vote a straight Lakers ticket, you stuff the ballot box and you live on the salty tears of your enemies when they cry because you got your 3rd string PG in the all-star game over their "star." This is the only thing that matters. Lets not pretend that this game means anything.

If we want to acknowledge who the best actual players are, fans, media and no one else have no business being in that business. Use an algo like every other modern field of human endeavor. Crunch the numbers and determine whoever the top 20/30/40 whatever players are, no emotions in it. If you want them to have a competitive game, then go with some modification of Silver's mid-season tournament, and make up teams of actual stars and have them play a tournament with some sort of big stakes monetary prize. Want to see an even better game? Have another tournament with relatively low paid guys like AC and have them play for big dollars. Do you something to make the game matter.

At the end of the day no one cares if the East or West won, and no one remembers who was an all-star MVP. But again, at the end of the day, we will all remember the salty tears of the fans of the other teams if we get AC into the otherwise meaningless game. Stop taking your eye off the prize. That prize is worth so much more than anything else--especially if AC gets more votes than that walking referee whistle Harden or one of those Clipper guys. So cut the nonsense about the sanctity of this trash game and meaningless all-star label and just stuff the proverbial ballot box. It is our duty as Lakers fans.

👍 Lol
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:04 pm    Post subject:

Got my 3 votes in today.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:18 am    Post subject:

^^ I gotta say RG73 - you nailed it.

As for the idea we should be worried about the fairness and 'integrity' because some ordinary looking guy who doesn't score a lot but plays ultra hard defense night in and night out gets some all-star attention? Yeah, screw that.

The All Star Game is a popularity contest for who gets to be Harlem Globetrotters for a day. If Caruso were to somehow land a spot I might actually watch it.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:28 am    Post subject:

How many of you stuffing the ballot box every chance you get are really interested in seeing Caruso play? Or is it the “screw you “ factor.

Caruso even being listed in the voting just shows how much of a clown show the ASG is. When will the players follow the NFL players example of simply appreciating the honor but beg off. And they don’t play a mid-season exhibition game like the NBA.

James, Davis and any other player interested in competing for a championship in a couple months should take the time to rest their bodies and re-energize their minds (or get another cycle of the secret sauce) for the stretch run into June.

At worst, how about a trade off of Caruso can play but James and Davis take week off to rest?
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject:

Another way of asking that question is, how many people actually like seeing good, solid defense, hustle, intangibles that help win games, and how many people just want to see offensive fireworks, screw the rest? Is Caruso popular because he looks like a middle aged accountant? Or does his game actually merit respect and win him fans from the biggest fan base in the NBA? LeBron James has had plenty to say about AC lately, but what would he know?

The All-Star game IS a one dimensional clown show. Caruso being listed and getting votes from fans makes it a tiny bit less so. Is anyone really pissed at the remote possibility of seeing 4 minutes of Caruso in an All Star game, taking that valuable time away from Westbrook?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Actually, fans have very little impact on who becomes an All-Star.

The 14 reserves are chosen by the coaches. So the fans have absolutely no say in them.

For the 10 starters, fan voting represents 50%. So if the fans make a silly choice like Caruso, the media and players vote basically keeps the fans in check, and gives the spot to someone who's worthy. If there are three deserving guards, fan voting can determine which of the two start, but fans can't push in a weak choice because the media and players wont let them.

Thats the reason the voting system was changed. The NBA didnt want to risk the enbarrassment of fans choosing someone like caruso or zazu.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject:

I think it's funny as hell, and the ASG is a meaningless game anyway. If you have guys like Steph Curry being voted in after playing 4 games, there's nothing wrong with AC getting votes. An added bonus is screwing over the other teams
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject:

This kind of (bleep) is important to show that the Lakers fanbase/spotlight/market is the best. Some players care about it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: