Alex Caruso #4 in All Star West Guard voting with over 800K voters! Updated!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject:

1) Lakers fans are showing up. The league needed a reminder after the last few years.
2) Maybe Vogel will catch a clue an increase Caruso's minutes
3) If Caruso passes PG, everything will be right in the world (....sort of)!
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
I've not in favor of a fans of a particular team stuffing the ballot box. The NBA agrees, which is why they added the media and players vote. This eliminates embarrassments like AC Green being voted in over Karl Malone.

Why is it an embarrassment. Why even use that word. If votes say one player is who fans want to watch, then that is who fans want to watch. And being who fans want to watch = being an all star.

Whether you judge one player to be better than another is not what it's about. That's what all nba is for. All star is all players people want to watch. If the majority wants to watch alex caruso but you don't, that doesn't suddenly make it so he shouldn't be an all star. And saying stuff like 'it's an embarrassment' really doesn't add anything to this discussion

If you don’t mind that being an all-star means nothing then I guess it’s no big deal. But it should be a showcasing of the top talents.

Not an instance where a “vote for the worst” can get an inferior player in. I’m with activeverb on this one.

This happened 4 years ago in the NHL. They gave fans the vote and they voted in a guy who had 11 games to his career as a troll job which is what is happening here too.

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/nhl-all-star-game-john-scott-gary-bettman-fans-best-prank-ever-013116

Vote for whoever you want. It's not about best talent, it's about whoever the fans want to watch. Do you actually sit through an entire all-star game? I can't remember the last time I did and I've been watching since the 80's. The players look like they don't care. Voting is open to the fans for a reason. We are the ones who have to watch that abomination. If all you care about is watching the best players actually give a crap then forward to the last 5 minutes of the game.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
I've not in favor of a fans of a particular team stuffing the ballot box. The NBA agrees, which is why they added the media and players vote. This eliminates embarrassments like AC Green being voted in over Karl Malone.

Why is it an embarrassment. Why even use that word. If votes say one player is who fans want to watch, then that is who fans want to watch. And being who fans want to watch = being an all star.

Whether you judge one player to be better than another is not what it's about. That's what all nba is for. All star is all players people want to watch. If the majority wants to watch alex caruso but you don't, that doesn't suddenly make it so he shouldn't be an all star. And saying stuff like 'it's an embarrassment' really doesn't add anything to this discussion

If you don’t mind that being an all-star means nothing then I guess it’s no big deal. But it should be a showcasing of the top talents.

Not an instance where a “vote for the worst” can get an inferior player in. I’m with activeverb on this one.

This happened 4 years ago in the NHL. They gave fans the vote and they voted in a guy who had 11 games to his career as a troll job which is what is happening here too.

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/nhl-all-star-game-john-scott-gary-bettman-fans-best-prank-ever-013116

Vote for whoever you want. It's not about best talent, it's about whoever the fans want to watch. Do you actually sit through an entire all-star game? I can't remember the last time I did and I've been watching since the 80's. The players look like they don't care. Voting is open to the fans for a reason. We are the ones who have to watch that abomination. If all you care about is watching the best players actually give a crap then forward to the last 5 minutes of the game.

Hey, if you want to vote for Troy Daniels because your name is Troy that's your business. Like I said, I'm just glad the system has checks to prevent players who get votes for reasons like that from actually becoming all-stars.

As far as Caruso, he's just the Jeremy Lin/Zazu Pachulia/Yi Jianlian of 2020 all-star voting. Ironically, all the guys who got a large number of undeserved all-votes were gone from their teams a year or two later.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject:

Monday's the last day to vote?
Let's do this Lakers fans!!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject:

This thread made me go back and look at fan voting in recent years.

If they hadn't change the system, the fans would have put in Rose, Wade and Luka as starters last year; in the new system, they didn't even make the team as reserves by the coaches, though the commissioner added him as a symbolic gesture.

The previous year, the fans would have started Manu and Draymond Green. The coaches added Green but not Manu.

The year before that the fans would have started Wade and Zazu Pachulia. Neither made the team.

So since the change 5 of the 7 guys the fans would named starters didn't even make the team as reserves.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Not top 15 in jersey sales? What’s up LG?

Last edited by AFireInside619 on Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
samnizam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Is this a joke...All star .... the guy is nobody.... poor version on Steve Blake....

Lol
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
This thread made me go back and look at fan voting in recent years.

If they hadn't change the system, the fans would have put in Rose, Wade and Luka as starters last year; in the new system, they didn't even make the team as reserves by the coaches, though the commissioner added him as a symbolic gesture.

The previous year, the fans would have started Manu and Draymond Green. The coaches added Green but not Manu.

The year before that the fans would have started Wade and Zazu Pachulia. Neither made the team.

So since the change 5 of the 7 guys the fans would named starters didn't even make the team as reserves.

Not sure if you're making our case of actually returning the power back to the fans, but from your post, the power of voting in the starters should definitely go back to the fans.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject:

samnizam wrote:
Is this a joke...All star .... the guy is nobody.... poor version on Steve Blake....

Lol

STFU
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
samnizam wrote:

Lol

STFU

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject:

If he gets in I am calling for F15 Eagle Flyover
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
If he gets in I am calling for F15 Eagle Flyover

Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Is there any vote this year that is more important than this? The fate of the free world is at stake here.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
Not sure if you're making our case of actually returning the power back to the fans, but from your post, the power of voting in the starters should definitely go back to the fans.

I like the new system. I don't think the all-star game would be improved by letting a block of fans push Zazu Pachulia in over Anthony Davis.

And that to me is the point. When a ridiculous choice gets in, it usually doesn't reflect the desires of most NBA fans. It's usually the result of a block from one popular NBA team, a block from a country like China, or automated voting.

Last edited by activeverb on Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject:

samnizam wrote:

Lol

You glad you got that out of your system?
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject:

samnizam wrote:

Lol

The surest sign of his greatness is the quality of haters he gets.
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject:

I've been doing my part.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject:

He's not a nobody.. and he's certainly not an all-star. He'd never get my vote. You guys have at it though.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Caruso's 3% is creeping up to 37%. I'd say he finishes the season at his career average atleast
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Should we include Dwight in the 3pt contest too?

I get that the AS is a joke. The fact that Caruso is 4th or whatever in voting reflects that. What I am saying is that I wish it wasn’t. I would prefer if it meant something when we say “all we need is another all-star” because why would we say that if we aren’t talking about the best of the best?
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Alex Caruso to all the haters
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
Alex Caruso to all the haters

Amazing and sad how casually people throw around the word "hater" these days.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Zhengi wrote:

I like the new system. I don't think the all-star game would be improved by letting a block of fans push Zazu Pachulia in over Anthony Davis.

Who cares? The game is absolute garbage
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Zhengi wrote:

I don't watch the game, but being name an all-star is an important honor, and I don't like to see that honor go to undeserving guys. If you don't care, that's cool.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Zhengi wrote:

I don't watch the game, but being name an all-star is an important honor, and I don't like to see that honor go to undeserving guys. If you don't care, that's cool.

These cats are raking in the cash...yeah, I don’t care
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7
Jump to: