In Memory of Kobe Bryant
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 116, 117, 118 ... 160, 161, 162  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject:

I have started at page 1 a couple times on accident
Trauma could've been an Ice-T song
If you ever feel you "need" to cry just open page one of this post and relive this hell
Every morning Vanessa wakes on page 1 - for now. It will get more tolerable.
Kobe taught us to use all the fuel you've got EVERY DAY you're alive
Thank you Kobe!
/Love
Arbitrary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject:

It's still surreal.

Bit by bit, I can watch some highlight clips (usually less than 3 minutes long) now. It's still jarring when I hear him speak or read things about him.

For everybody else here that listens to the Laker Film Room podcast, I always have a similar reaction to Pete as opposed to the calm demeanor of Darius.

The waves of grief aren't as strong as before, but it also doesn't help that my grandfather just passed away 5 days ago.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject:

Arbitrary wrote:
It's still surreal.

Bit by bit, I can watch some highlight clips (usually less than 3 minutes long) now. It's still jarring when I hear him speak or read things about him.

For everybody else here that listens to the Laker Film Room podcast, I always have a similar reaction to Pete as opposed to the calm demeanor of Darius.

The waves of grief aren't as strong as before, but it also doesn't help that my grandfather just passed away 5 days ago.

Sorry for your loss. I had to learn to consume all the Kobe news at my own pace. Watching videos for more than 30 seconds or a minute is too much for me. I have to step away. Seeing pictures and murals is more tolerable. I've kind of retreated to a dark place. I forced myself to spend time with family this last weekend. That definitely helps, even though I can't really open up to them. My family has kind of a blue collar work ethic, like Kobe. No matter how tough times are we just bury ourselves in work and try to stay positive when we're together. Getting back on a regular workout routine is next on my list. Stay strong bro.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/Technibility/status/1230577308622176256?s=20
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject:

Iverson talking about Kobe.

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1230579251491016704?s=20
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Last of their kind. There are and I believe never will be another Iverson/Kobe type player. The league currently has talent, but those guys transcended that. The players today all play similar basketball, and are more interested in stat padding then winning games. At least that's how I see it.

It's too bad AI never played for a legitimate contender when he was in his prime. The Sixers were good in the Leastern Conference, but he never had a true number 2 guy or another primary scorer until he got to Denver way past his prime.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Last of their kind. There are and I believe never will be another Iverson/Kobe type player. The league currently has talent, but those guys transcended that. The players today all play similar basketball, and are more interested in stat padding then winning games. At least that's how I see it.

It's too bad AI never played for a legitimate contender when he was in his prime. The Sixers were good in the Leastern Conference, but he never had a true number 2 guy or another primary scorer until he got to Denver way past his prime.

Real knows real.

However, as talented as AI was, his off court life and work ethic was the reason for the vast divergence between him and Kobe.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject:

First Take. Max Kellerman felt that Pelinka’s strength and power came from Kobe. He also felt that Kobe would have bought the Lakers some day.

https://youtu.be/-3DYQBBzzqY
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

the other thing is that iverson was just never really that good. he also pioneered a style of flopping that was repulsive to the human eye.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
GTL wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

the other thing is that iverson was just never really that good. he also pioneered a style of flopping that was repulsive to the human eye.

He had his frustrating moments that made me loathe the guy back in the day. I always respected his grit though. I still think that with a good enough sidekick, he could have contended for a longer period of time. Wouldn't have beaten us either way, but would have been right there for longer then just 2001.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
GTL wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Real knows real.

However, as talented as AI was, his off court life and work ethic was the reason for the vast divergence between him and Kobe.

I think Iverson should be credited with having the FIRST social media-esque (as it existed in the early 2000s) viral video/sound bite.

Quote:
I mean, listen, we're talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about practice. Not a game. Not, not … Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last. Not the game, but we're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? … And we talking about practice. I know I supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example... I know that... And I'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about practice man. What are we talking about? Practice? We're talking about practice, man.

All these years later...I still get a gooooooodddd chuckle out of that.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject:

I can finally read LG again without crying.

Baby steps.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
I can finally read LG again without crying.

Baby steps.

Lol.
Yeah. Like it or not, we must let it go. Bit by bit.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Following the draft for over 20 years now I remember when I was a kid and I saw Kobe and TMac enter the league in back to back seasons and how that normalized their archetype for me. Here were these elite, lithe, gumby-bodied athletes who could hang in the air for days and still had elite guard skills. Obviously Kobe was better and outperformed and outlasted TMac, but there were so many similarities and an overlapping beauty to their games.

Almost 25 years later and there hasn't been a single guy close to TMac let alone Kobe in terms of style let alone impact. Bean's game was beautiful and lethal. A true basketball poet. My kingdom for another gumby-bodied scoring assassin with PG skills and the will of a champion.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:58 am    Post subject:

Something I realized today
24 years ago (1996) Kobe came out of HS
Drafted to end up with Lakers

24 years.

Kobe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject:

Customer of mine comes in yesterday. Her young daughter is an usher at Staples. She was there for Kobe's retirement. She said both her son, who plays ball, and daughter, consider Kobe like a father to them. They tragically lost their dad when they were young, and he became that male role model figure in their life while being raised by a single mother. This woman was so passionate, and she showed me tons of great and rare photos of Kobe at staples that her daughter had sent her throughout the years. Great stuff you just love to hear and it brought back a wave of emotions as we spoke about how much he meant to so many different people across the planet.
ViolaMB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject:

i have a question. a lot of you have probably seen all these tribute magazines that are available everywhere in the U.S.? a couple of them i would gladly buy but the problem is that i'm from Europe and i highly doubt that any of the magazines will be for sale in any shops here. i see Amazon is selling basically fake replicas of 2 different magazines. i might have a way of getting 2 out of 3 that i would like to have, but even if i somehow get the third i would then have to pay the shipping costs for all 3 of them separately...

long story short is there any way any of you guys buy the 3 magazines i would like and ship them all together to me to Europe? is there any better idea that i'm not thinking of? anybody knows what would the shipping cost approximately be?
L.A.T.W
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Don't know how alot of yall will take this but just saw this article about the pilot.

https://ktla.com/2020/02/21/kobe-bryants-pilot-had-been-disciplined-by-faa-over-weather-related-flight-violation/amp/
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I posted this in the tribute thread after you already posted it here. I should have checked.

I’m still not ready to watch highlights knowing he’s not here anymore.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject:

L.A.T.W wrote:
Don't know how alot of yall will take this but just saw this article about the pilot.

https://ktla.com/2020/02/21/kobe-bryants-pilot-had-been-disciplined-by-faa-over-weather-related-flight-violation/amp/

Well thats not good....it says that this accident might have been carelessness after all. That being said I would probably wait until the final report is out.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject:

L.A.T.W wrote:

(bleep)

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
L.A.T.W wrote:

(bleep)

Seems like an overconfident cowboy pilot situation. As I called the day it happened due to the obvious foggy conditions in LA. Frustrating and honestly makes me angry as it seems to have been so avoidable.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:30 am    Post subject:

L.A.T.W wrote:

Not available in my region. Could you perhaps give a tl;dr? Much appreciated.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject:

Nobody wrote:
L.A.T.W wrote:

The pilot of a helicopter that crashed into a Southern California hillside, killing Kobe Bryant and eight others, was reprimanded five years ago for flying into airspace that had reduced visibility without permission, according to a Federal Aviation Administration enforcement record.

Ara Zobayan was counseled by an FAA investigator after he violated FAA rules by crossing into busy airspace near Los Angeles International Airport on May 11, 2015, according to the record, which was first reported Friday by the Los Angeles Times.

The record doesn’t indicate whether Zobayan was carrying any passengers at the time.

Zobayan, 50, died Jan. 26 when his helicopter plunged at high speed into a hillside in Calabasas, northwest of Los Angeles. Zobayan had been trying to climb above a cloud layer when the aircraft banked left and plunged 1,200 feet at high speed. There has been speculation that the pilot became disoriented in the foggy weather. The crash remains under investigation.

The crash also killed Bryant and his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, along with six others. The victims will be honored at a Feb. 24 public memorial at Staples Center in Los Angeles.

At the time, Zaboyan was chief pilot for the charter service Island Express Helicopters Inc.

He was flying for the same company during the 2015 incident.

According to the FAA report, Zobayan’s helicopter was near the Hawthorne, California, airport and heading north when he asked the LAX tower for permission to cross LAX airspace. Zobayan was told that weather conditions didn’t meet the minimum for pilots using visual flight rules — that is, flying by sight.

Zaboyan was asked whether he could maintain “VFR conditions.”

Zaboyan replied that he could “maintain special VFR” — meaning he sought permission to fly by sight in less-than-optimal visibility.

When air traffic control denied the request and told him to stay clear of the area, Zobayan replied that he could “maintain VRF” but during the conversation, the helicopter entered the airspace, according to the record.

Zobayan contacted authorities and his company after the incident and was cooperative. But an FAA investigator faulted him for failing to properly plan and review current weather at LAX, which would have allowed him time to communicate earlier with the tower in order to receive clearance, according to the record.

The report said Zobayan “admitted his error, took responsibility for his action, and was willing to take any other necessary steps toward compliance.”

“There are no indications that this is a repeated incident and there are no signs that this incident is a trend with Mr. Zobayan,” the report said.

Zobayan was counseled “on operating in Class B airspace, special VFR weather minimums, proper planning, reviewing weather, and anticipating required action,” the report said. “He was cooperative and receptive to the counseling.”

Island Express Helicopters Inc, reported that it conducted additional ground and flight training with Zaboyan.

Veteran helicopter pilots were divided over the severity of the FAA violation, the Times reported.

“I don’t know a single pilot out there who hasn’t violated a rule,” Shawn Coyle said. “If that’s the only violation he’s ever had then I would say he’s pretty safe.”

But former Island Express pilot Kurt Deetz said entering LAX airspace without approval can be dangerous because of the possible presence of commercial jets. He also questioned Zaboyan’s communication with air traffic controllers.

“You can’t request special VFR and then they deny you and you say, ‘Oh wait a minute, actually I’m VFR’, ” he told the Times. “That’s not how it works. It shows that perhaps his understanding of special VFR as opposed to VFR was cloudy.”

lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:13 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Nobody wrote:
L.A.T.W wrote:

The pilot of a helicopter that crashed into a Southern California hillside, killing Kobe Bryant and eight others, was reprimanded five years ago for flying into airspace that had reduced visibility without permission, according to a Federal Aviation Administration enforcement record.

Ara Zobayan was counseled by an FAA investigator after he violated FAA rules by crossing into busy airspace near Los Angeles International Airport on May 11, 2015, according to the record, which was first reported Friday by the Los Angeles Times.

The record doesn’t indicate whether Zobayan was carrying any passengers at the time.

Zobayan, 50, died Jan. 26 when his helicopter plunged at high speed into a hillside in Calabasas, northwest of Los Angeles. Zobayan had been trying to climb above a cloud layer when the aircraft banked left and plunged 1,200 feet at high speed. There has been speculation that the pilot became disoriented in the foggy weather. The crash remains under investigation.

The crash also killed Bryant and his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, along with six others. The victims will be honored at a Feb. 24 public memorial at Staples Center in Los Angeles.

At the time, Zaboyan was chief pilot for the charter service Island Express Helicopters Inc.

He was flying for the same company during the 2015 incident.

According to the FAA report, Zobayan’s helicopter was near the Hawthorne, California, airport and heading north when he asked the LAX tower for permission to cross LAX airspace. Zobayan was told that weather conditions didn’t meet the minimum for pilots using visual flight rules — that is, flying by sight.

Zaboyan was asked whether he could maintain “VFR conditions.”

Zaboyan replied that he could “maintain special VFR” — meaning he sought permission to fly by sight in less-than-optimal visibility.

When air traffic control denied the request and told him to stay clear of the area, Zobayan replied that he could “maintain VRF” but during the conversation, the helicopter entered the airspace, according to the record.

Zobayan contacted authorities and his company after the incident and was cooperative. But an FAA investigator faulted him for failing to properly plan and review current weather at LAX, which would have allowed him time to communicate earlier with the tower in order to receive clearance, according to the record.

The report said Zobayan “admitted his error, took responsibility for his action, and was willing to take any other necessary steps toward compliance.”

“There are no indications that this is a repeated incident and there are no signs that this incident is a trend with Mr. Zobayan,” the report said.

Zobayan was counseled “on operating in Class B airspace, special VFR weather minimums, proper planning, reviewing weather, and anticipating required action,” the report said. “He was cooperative and receptive to the counseling.”

Island Express Helicopters Inc, reported that it conducted additional ground and flight training with Zaboyan.

Veteran helicopter pilots were divided over the severity of the FAA violation, the Times reported.

“I don’t know a single pilot out there who hasn’t violated a rule,” Shawn Coyle said. “If that’s the only violation he’s ever had then I would say he’s pretty safe.”

But former Island Express pilot Kurt Deetz said entering LAX airspace without approval can be dangerous because of the possible presence of commercial jets. He also questioned Zaboyan’s communication with air traffic controllers.

“You can’t request special VFR and then they deny you and you say, ‘Oh wait a minute, actually I’m VFR’, ” he told the Times. “That’s not how it works. It shows that perhaps his understanding of special VFR as opposed to VFR was cloudy.”

So this guy had done this before. Knew it. The fact that he flew when other pilots didn't during that Sunday morning raised alarm. I assume Kobe knew about this. Such a tragedy that could have been easily prevented.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 116, 117, 118 ... 160, 161, 162  Next
Page 117 of 162
Jump to: