In Memory of Kobe Bryant
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 126, 127, 128 ... 161, 162, 163  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:
i'll forever miss those kobe moments. when he gets scorching hot and the whole crowd starts going nuts, knowing its kobe time. during this time everyone in the building knows hes going up with it, and defenders still cant stop it . he had so many.

brief pivot: how about my two favorite Kobe defense videos?

Defensive Doberman Part 1
Defensive Doberman Part 2

Defense or offense, Kobe had the best footwork in the history of the Game, footwork applies to defense as well, and the way Kobe played defense was a Beauty, not gambling on anything.
He would’ve take any 1/2/3 if they are on for the night.

That second video (I can hardly make out anything on the first video's resolution) amazing 1:35-3:47 vs Dallas, Miami vs. Wade, and Irving. Fantastic. Van Gundy gets excited.
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject:

Lamar Odom wishes he could ask Kobe Bryant for advice on recent fan backlash

Quote:
“I miss him just for his advice,” Odom said. “The first advice I would ask him for is how do I get these fans to forgive me for pawning those rings — just for his brotherhood and leadership.”

https://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/lamar-odom-wishes-he-could-ask-kobe-bryant-advice-fan-backlash/539908
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:
most spectacular player ever. i watched jordan's top 50 plays and its just not as jaw dropping as kobe's.

I understand this perspective. Jordan was a bit more formulaic. However he was more creative in his younger years. If you watch MJ from 85-90, he was something else, had every move in the book.

He was gifted with amazing athleticism, extremely insane hand size and the ability to glide in the air unlike anybody I've ever seen. When Jordan shot a fade away, defenders were hard press to block him because he would either get too high up in the air, or he would hang for so long that the defender wasn't able to stay with him.

Kobe could do the same but not to the same extent. He was closer to getting blocked on his jumpers, and had to arc his shot higher then MJ to get over a defenders over stretched reach. Kobe naturally had to be more creative, and he brought more of that East Coast street ball style that was prevalent around that time to the NBA with his spectacular cross over moveset and footwork.

But what Kobe had that I believe MJ didn't was the ability to contort his body in mid air in ways I have never seen. Kobe also had that head/pump fake into the defender, that Jordan didn't quite utilize quite as often. The only problem with the pump was that it led to potential nagging shoulder injuries.

Both were similar, but at the same time, different in many ways. That's the beauty of both players, and why I believe we can appreciate both without putting down either.

Good analysis here. I agree. Jordan was bigger and seemed to be more resolute with each play, as if he knew where he wanted to go and did so. Kobe was more fluid in his form and taking what the defense gave him. It's why he was so exciting (and frustrating) to watch, because he could switch it up mid-play.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject:

So I was going through some old computer files and I found my LG write-up of Kobe's last game at Boston Garden in Dec. 2015. I barely remember writing it but I thought I'd share here once again:

Quote:
So I went to a basketball game last night and joy broke out.

As a Laker fan, you couldn’t have asked for more from Kobe’s final game at Boston Garden – a close game, a Laker road win, young guys stepping up and Kobe closing it out with dagger 3’s. And Laker fans were out in force! There were large pockets of gold throughout the stadium, mostly gold No. 24 but also lots of purple No. 24 and a fair amount of gold No. 32. There was even a guy near us in a Bynum jersey.

The first thing that struck me early in the game was the great camaraderie and body language of all the Lakers both on the floor and the bench. For a team with so few wins, it was great to see these guys really pull for one another and be so engaged.

Our young trio, Russell, Clarkson & Randle, really stood out and you could tell the locals were impressed. My brother hasn’t watched as many games the last couple of years and this game gave him reason to get excited about the Laker future again.

The crowd was both pulling for Kobe every time he touched the ball and yet booing him too because of pain he has inflicted on them over the years. He may be cold for quarters at a time, but the crowd knows he can turn into throwback Kobe with one swish. Kobe’s body has almost run out of gas and he’s working on fumes at this point. When he went out of the game towards the end of the third, they put the ice-pack on his shoulder and we thought, well that’s it for Kobe, he’s done for the night. When Scott brought him back in, I’m not gonna lie, I thought he was crazy. Clarkson and Russell were playing so well, I thought for sure he’d let the young guys finish. And then I thought, well it’s a sentimental move, part of the KFT. I prayed to the basketball gods that Kobe had one last little run in him. When he hit those dagger 3’s, it was like, “I don’t believe it!” and then you think, “Of course he hit them!” And one last time, he stuck it to the Celtics fans and gave cause for jubilation to the Laker road faithful. It was freaking awesome! By then end, the arena was about 40% Laker fans and they kept chanting his name even after the game as we were exiting through the bowels of the Garden. The Celtic fans had no fight in them at that point and were forced to play along and salute one of the best to ever lace them up.

Other random notes:

There was a father and son sitting behind us – I think the boy was about 9 or 10. They were Celtic fans, but this kid knew every player on both teams, 1 through 12, even every Laker. He was telling his dad all about Randle at Kentucky, and Larry Nance Jr being the son of the great Larry Nance, and rattling off stats. It was too cute.

MWP was in street clothes, but he was out there during shootaround and half-time working with the young guys. In particular, I saw him working with D-Lo on defense. He was either showing him a trick about how to escape a defender or showing him a trick on how to defend. Either way, I’m glad he’s around.

Roy Hibbert has Kwame Brown’s hands and touch around the basket. With another coach, we would be getting him easy lobs at the rim instead of asking him to create for himself in the post. But Hibbert is a great bench guy, very positive and encouraging of the young players. He made some nice passes too.

During warm-ups, Larry Nance Jr did a couple of monster dunks for fun and my brother almost had a heart attack seeing how high he got. LOL. Waiting to see more of that in-game. Again, next year with more experience and a different offense…

And speaking of offense, we did well last night so I’m not gonna criticize the coaching. But watching the young core, it is so obvious we should be playing up-tempo and getting out in transition at every possible opportunity. It was demoralizing to see a potential fast-break opportunity then watch D-Lo have to intentionally slow things down to comply with Byron’s half-court, plodding offense. Just not right.

Late in the game I noticed Kobe going over to the sidelines and talking to some young girls. I thought, oh isn’t that nice! I didn’t realize until later that it was Vanessa and his daughters. I loved the reaction shot of them after the last dagger three. So glad his daughters got to see that and hear the fans chanting his name.

Another weird road moment – there was huge section of Laker fans behind the Celtics basket and late in the fourth on some crucial free-throws, they did the usual fan thing of trying to distract the shooter. Except it’s a Celtic player and he’s being heckled in his own gym. Loved it.

As we were leaving, the chants continued. Ko-beee Bry-Ant. You could tell it meant a lot to him. All in all, it was perfect way to end Kobe’s last game in Boston. This was probably the last time I will ever watch him play in person and it was a great last memory.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject:

Hallelujah by Ben Hong with Kobe's Narration during during the 1st game back I think.

I hadn't seen this...damn it brought tears to my eyes all over again.

Showing this to my 8th grade team tonight.

One Love Nation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO6PraQgxAA

#BannersOverBillboards
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Since we're going retro, ChefLinda, BEHOLD my post from 2006.

Part 1
Quote:
THE GROWING LEGEND OF KOBE BRYANT

By Jay Yim

"We obviously think he's a wonderful prospect and hopefully he's going to be a player the fans will watch turn into a great player." These were Jerry West's words after signing Kobe Bryant to his first National BAsketball Association contract on July 12, 1996.

Let's all go back into time, our destination being the summer of 1996. The Chicago Bulls were coming off their record-breaking 72-win season and their fourth title of the decade--while the Los Angeles Lakers were a franchise n transition. Magic Johnson had just re-retired from his 32-game comeback after the team was taken-out in the first-round of the playoffs by the Houston Rockets.

Lakers General AMnager, Jerry West, wanting to turn a good squad into a legitimate championship contender, was in hot pursuit of free agent center Shaquille O'Neal. To open up salary cap room for Shaq, Mr. Clutch sent the team's starting center, Vlade Divac, to the Charlotte Hornets in exchange for the draft rights to a 6-foot-five 17-year-old hoops prodigy from Lower Merion High School in Ardmore, PA -- And the Purple and Gold, the city of Los Angeles, the NBA and the sport would never be quite the same again.

The youngster's name was Kobe Bean Bryant, son of former NBA player Joe "Jelly Bean" Bryant. And he had just finished his prep career in grand style by racking up 2,883 points, the most in southeaster Pennsylvania history. He was widely recognized as the national high school player of the year with scouting reports originally labeling him as "Grant Hill with a jumpshot."

West, who didn't like the idea of high school kids opting for the pros, did a sudden about face and became a believer after Kobe's jaw-dropping pre-draft workout at the Forum and gushed about it being the best workout he had ever seen. "We think this young man is really one of the most exciting young prospects we've seen in a long time," he said afterwards.

But there were also skeptics. This kid, who after all spent a good portion of his youth in Italy, had the grades and the SAT scores to go to Duke. Instead of choosing to ball for Coach K in Durham, NC, his heart was set heading straight to the NBA. It was only natural for people to scoff at the move since no high school guard had ever dared to make the jump.

"I think it's a total mistake," said Boston Celtics director of basketball development Jon Jennings. "Kevin Garnett was the best high school player I ever saw. And I wouldn't have advised him to make the jump to the NBA. And Kobe is no Keven Garnett." NBA scout Marty Blake chimed in by stating, "He's not ready."

Click the link for Parts 2 and 3

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=27212&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Okay I'll bite.

Wrote this for Chris Manning's (LD2K) then website back on May 15, 2007 during the height of the KG to LA talks:

Quote:
Five years ago this day was special to me. Not just me alone, but to many around the world. It was a time where people everywhere saw the birth of a dynasty, the birth of something bigger then a game, bigger then many expected. It was about a team that transcended a sport, not just figuratively, but literally. The feeling of excitement, mixed with passion and enthusiasm. Experiencing the nature of being a fan, an extraordinarily big fan whose hearts laid flat on the chest of a purple and gold jersey. The battles were ultimately won, with a dynamic duo that turned even the biggest doubters into believers.

The time has come folks, for the next superhero return of that very special duo that will shake the Nike shoes right off the feet of its opponents. The time for change has arose, because for the past couple years, two men have survived through the agony of defeat, constructive criticism, pain of losing to the highest degree, and kept their heads held high like a true warrior should. It’s time to combine the dual force into one, the KGB connection, the instincts of two souls bound for glory with one heart and one goal, to bring the NBA championship back to its rightful place, the city of Los Angeles, held high in the rafters of Staples Center.

The recent experiences of Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett have been nearly identical in any aspect of the game. Both have dealt with losing, have teammates that don’t share the same killer instinct, been questioned about their leadership, and have been shun by growth of the new NBA standard, be it the new sidekick in Miami or the phenom who self proclaims himself as the “King”. The only difference may be that Kobe has a hall of fame coach in Phil Jackson by his side, while many basketball enthusiast can’t even name the man whose running the show in Minnesota. The experiences of Kobe far surpass anywhere Kevin has been in his hall of fame like career, yet the thought of Bryant holding up that championship trophy in a parade of over 100,000 fans on Figueroa Ave. seems so long ago, a distant memory of sorts, even discredited by NBA fans as “fool’s gold”.

The fact remains, you can never change the heart of a champion. The criticism only excels him to reach far and beyond his capabilities, and push ever so harder to prove the world wrong once again, without an asterisk in its aura. The big ticket has been anything but that with the Timberwolves. He’s content with the status quo and seems too loyal to demand a trade. His intentions are great for the fans in Minnesota, because the last thing they want is to see KG go. I’ll make it simple so everyone can picture how hard it would be. Pretend for a second that Kobe left the Lakers, ok, get the picture? It isn’t easy for ticket buyers, but at this point in his career, maybe Kevin should reflect on himself, rather then worry about what everyone else is going to feel if he eventually asks to be moved. He took a pay cut to accommodate better teammates and that didn’t work out. He has quietly kept his mouth shut for the most part in regards to his displeasure with the organization. His demeanor on the court seems like one of an unhappy camper, you know, the man who’s forced to go watch a chick flick with his girlfriend, but is despising it for the entire two hours. You want to make the best of the situation, until the fire burns out and the situation eventually turns into a burden.

That’s where Kevin’s mind frame has been lately, bounced from top five player a couple years ago, to barely being mentioned in the same breath as the younger stars who have stumped him as if he’s nothing more than an aging veteran. As loyal as he might be, it may be the time for him to step outside of the box and put his destiny in place, while sacrificing that very loyalty that has left him in the limbo he is currently stuck in. Nothing would please David Stern more than seeing his rating faltered (thanks San Antonio!) NBA rise back to the top, and what other team, with any other superstars can get that done better then Kobe and KG?

I can’t begin to stress how hard it’s been for Lakers fans to stand by this team through the agony of defeat. It’s been a roller coaster ride, but nobody can deny that we are the most passionate fans in basketball. Ever since entering the league in 1995 and 96, these two men have been part of a lost generation of basketball, stuck in between the retirement of his Airness, and the revolution that is the 2003 Draft. With age, both men have become more wise in the sense that they will realize how much they really do need each other.

If we the fans are stressing this, how badly do you think they want it to happen? I guarantee you if there is a possibility, both will welcome each other with open arms. Kobe Bryant is and always will be a winner, Kevin Garnett is a winner. They may be two opposites on the basketball court, but their games intertwine perfectly with one another, as friends off the court and counterparts in the fraternity that is the NBA. Kevin, this is your destiny, and it’s time you asked, no, its time you DEMANDED to come to Los Angeles. Because when the Mamba and the Big Ticket come to town, there is nothing that will stop them from achieving what their lifelong dreams have destined them to achieve, win as many NBA Championships as humanly possible.

Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Love reading your throwback posts everyone! Thanks for sharing - please keep them coming.

I'll add in mine while we're at it - Kobe 60 - The Goodbye (my experience at the game)

I was trying to relive that last game and that last paragraph reminded me how much Kobe's passing just plain sucks - he didn't get to write his own ending in life, gone too too soon. The hardest working man was just getting started on his next chapter, and he had so many more to go. (bleep).

Quote:
So it wasn’t a dream. I didn’t imagine it. In the last game of his career Kobe really did score 60. Outscored the Jazz 23-21 in the 4th. 15 straight in the last 3 minutes. 5/5 shooting, 4/4 from the line, and splashed the game winning pull up jumper. Last play of his career was an assist. Just as 81, 62 in 3, 4 straight 50, entire month averaging 40, and oh yeah, 5 rings are etched in our memories, now we have the mindboggling finale of 60 on 50 shots at age 37. And I was fortunate enough to see the magic in person at Staples.

As some of you know, I’ve always been a Lakers fan from the Midwest/East Coast. Saw many Laker games at the Palace in Detroit and Phillips in Atlanta. Never made it to a game in Los Angeles, not once at Staples. Until 4/13/2016, Mamba Day. Pretty good decision to fly out and go to the Finale.

I said it that night and to anyone who has asked me since that game, but I truly don’t think I can do that game or experience justice with words. However, I always try to have a thread when I make it out to a game, so one last time, here was my game experience for what ended up living up to...hell exceeding, a truly once in a lifetime experience.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I went with LS, who I’ve known through LG for about 10 years. Where has the time went? AWESOME dude. Reminisced about the good ol’ days, and then before I knew it, we were walking through the chaos to Staples. I didn’t know if I had stepped into a time machine back to 2010 and was part of the championship parade on Figueroa. Time travel was a consistent theme throughout the night.

By the way: Seeing the Magic / West / Cap / Chick statues was so freaking cool. So much history, tradition, and greatness. That’s a big reason why I became a Laker fan. Well that and then some (bleep) 18 year old with an afro.

Indescribable atmosphere inside and out of Staples. A celebration of greatness. 20 years of one of the best to ever do it in the NBA and arguably the Greatest Laker of All-Time. A glamour franchise which has seen one iconic player after another. As much as this legend gave in the 20 years, the fans wanted to give it all back to him. Nothing but effusive adulation and sincere gratitude. It was beautiful.

I think that’s what makes that night so special, so unique, and something that I don’t think we ever see again. Longevity? 20 (!!!) years. Historical significance? If I start typing the accomplishments, records, breathtaking moments and virtuoso performances, I won’t finish this thread for a week. Entertainer? Even had the Greatest Basketball Showman of all out of his seat many of times and singing his praises. Highest of highs AND lowest of lows. Immaturity AND growth. We watched the kid grow into a man, and everything that comes with that. He was OUR dude, Must See TV for 20 years. He was the constant. No matter what was going on, we had Kobe. And with the story coming to a close, he wrote the ending in a way only he could.

Starting with the pregame, I took in every moment. Loved it. The last Kobe shootaround ever (is he hitting?! oh God please tell me he's hitting pregame...this is crucial), the tribute video right before Magic spoke may have been my favorite (I’ve seen the “With the 13th pick in the draft … Kobe Bryant from Lower Merion High School” a million times, but this time it just hit home. We’ve come full circle, the journey is...over), Magic’s intro, everything was just so on point. The buildup and anticipation was at a fever pitch, and I’m pretty sure I started losing rational thought and going straight into little kid fan mode around this time. Maybe Kobe really COULD go off! It felt like the old days ... when anything was possible because it's Kobe Bryant.

...and then he started 0/5 and I was reminded he’s 37, his body’s broken down, and hasn’t had a “KOOOOOBE” game from start to finish in years. But this is still Kobe (bleep) Bryant. He kept pushing through. He was taking this to empty. Got rolling and the crowd is delirious. The game is close and at this point I’m hoping and praying for 40 points and maybe a clutch shot. Hey, it could happen right?!

Side note: He starts the 2nd quarter on the bench, which is the only time I see that I’ll be able to get food. Starving is totally an option if needed. If Kobe went 48, then I’m right there the whole time. Others have the same mindset. We joke in the line they should stop the game and wait until everyone is back just in case Kobe comes back a little too early. It’s that serious.

LS says to me Kobe can do no wrong this game, at some time in the second half when Kobe gives up an easy layup. This could not be more true. Others shooting the ball? What the (bleep) are they thinking, game’s slipping away! It’s pressure packed! Kobe needs to put the team on the back and save the day! Is it 2006 again?! Sure feels like it. Great seeing Kobe go off, but so anxious like we’re about to lose a crucial playoff game. Kobe keeps plugging along, but it’s starting to look bad for the W. At some point he cleared 40, which seemed like a given and funny if you consider just how done Kobe’s been. But, when they were down 10 with 3 minutes to go, I told LS, “...it’s slipping away. I don’t know if Kobe can get that red hot anymore, and/or if we have the defense to make this happen.” What transpired after that is the stuff of legend that you tell your kids...and then their kids. And you tell their kid’s punk Lebron Jr. reppin’ friends right before telling them to get off your lawn.

Every one of those shots and points were needed, and the guy delivered on every single one. Electric. Surreal. Mesmerizing. Knowing every shot was going in and still being blown away that this was ACTUALLY happening. After what turned out to be the game winning shot, if Utah hypothetically scored to go up 1 and Laker ball, I’m 87% sure I was going to have a heart attack. Thankfully they bricked the three. Kobe got the two free throws to get to 60, of which there was ZERO doubt they were going in. NONE. This guy on this same net swished two free throws on a torn achilles. He wasn’t missing these. Looking at the replay, seeing him push through literal exhaustion, I was just so grateful. Easy to keep shouting “Come on Kobe!!! One more time!!! LET’S GO!!!”, but then seeing how dead tired he was, just how human he is, but still delivering one last time...man. Reminded me of this quote from after he passed MJ:

Quote:
"What a journey this has been. Setting this mark is a huge honor. I’m aware of Father Time’s curfew. He has sent me to my room to brush my teeth before he tucks me in, but I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t walk to the bathroom slowly. I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t act as if someone misplaced the toothpaste. I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t brush every tooth twice, brush my tongue three times, floss until my gums bleed and rinse with mouthwash until the inside of my mouth burns and then goes numb."

Well on this night he went all 12 rounds with Father Time, gave him everything and then some. Father Time may be undefeated, but Kobe put up the best fight I've ever seen.

We’ll look back on this night and say “Oh of course Kobe scored 60 in his last game! It’s Kobe!”, but I think even the staunchest of Kobe fans were surprised by the perfection of that plot twist. It was just so masterful. Anyone that knows Kobe figured he could probably get the shots up, but if you’ve seen the past 3 seasons, to convert at that rate/efficiency, nailing every clutch shot at the end, at his age, after being mummified just to make it to this game? Unreal … even for The Kobe Standard.

Earlier I said what made this so special was that he was OURS. As silly as it may sound about a sports athlete, he meant a lot to many of us for a myriad of reasons. At least that’s what it was for me. Where haters saw selfish, I saw unyielding confidence. Where haters saw poor shot selection, I saw repetition in every shot imaginable. Where haters saw a narcissistic (bleep), I saw someone who succeeded like few else … doing it HIS way. Magic said that Kobe never cheated the game or the fans. Perfectly stated. No one has ever put in the work Kobe has or squeezed every last bit of potential out of themselves the way he did. The injuries he played through, unbelievable stuff. He defied logic played through it all and eventually just broke himself. It was the only way his career of being "Kobe" the one we know and loved (or loved to hate) was going to end. And on this night, I just wanted to see him get rewarded for all of that. No, not even for my entertainment, but for the guy who watched more game film than imaginable, put in more work than anyone can fathom, dedicated themselves to the game, shed blood, sweat, and tears...I wanted to see it for him. Yes, he has the rings and countless accomplishments, but I, and Laker Nation, wanted to see him be able to write his own ending, walk out on his own terms. I wanted to see one last time Kobe being...Kobe. Vintage Kobe. Black Mamba Kobe. (bleep) everyone Kobe. Give me the ball and get the (bleep) outta the way we’re getting the W Kobe. I was beyond elated that the guy who gave basketball SO much was able to have the basketball Gods give him something back in his finale. No one deserved it more than our guy.
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Late in the game I noticed Kobe going over to the sidelines and talking to some young girls. I thought, oh isn’t that nice! I didn’t realize until later that it was Vanessa and his daughters. I loved the reaction shot of them after the last dagger three. So glad his daughters got to see that and hear the fans chanting his name.

Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Even before the game got underway, the arena was already filled to capacity with an estimated 5,000 fans jamming into every nook and cranny of the building, although not everyone was lucky enough to find a seat. It was standing room only that night with the corridors on the second deck filled with fans that went back three deep, while an estimated 2,000 fans had to be turned away. However, some of them who couldn't get tickets were not going away without a fight. Several fans tried to sneak into the building even going as far as opening fire doors to gain entrance into the arena.

Eric Hamasaki, who works in basketball operations for the Los Angeles Clippers, was an assistant director of operations for the Summer Pro League at the time and vividly remembers the sheer madness of the day. He and his fellow staffers knew the game would be hectic, but they weren't prepared for the game turning into a rock concert.

The dude was an absolute rockstar from the start. And he never shied away from the spotlight, quite the opposite, embraced it, sought it out. No moment was ever too big, no lights too bright. All starting from when he was a teenager. What a journey.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject:

One of my very first posts here. Defending our boy from the get go. Good times. Sincerely miss those. One month and it still doesn't feel real.

Nobody wrote:
I also find this reasoning completely laughable:
"(3) Kobe. It's become passe to say he's the best player in the league; certainly he's been on the short list for the past half-decade. He's also 30 and has more mileage on his legs than any other 30-year-old in history, which might not be a concern except that his numbers have dropped fairly sharply each of the past two seasons. The fact that he's trying to play out the entire season with a wounded finger makes me think this isn't the year he breaks the streak. My projection system has his PER at 23.83 -- that's without putting my thumb on the scale for the factors mentioned above -- and while that's still awesome, it also would continue the downward trend (28.11, 26.13, 24.31) since age 27."

He is basing his whole "Kobe is declining" argument on freaking PER?! Jesus. Yes, he might not be as efficient as Paul, James or Stoudamire offensively, but that doesn't negate the fact that he's had one of the most well-rounded seasons since probably 2002/03; the second best TS% of his career (1st eFG%), the most rebounds per game since 2002/03, the same goes for steals. So he scored less, big deal. When you have a deep team, you can afford to score less.

I also love the fact how he completely overlooks the monster playoffs (sans the 3 bad games he had against the Cs) he had in his "evaluation" of Kobe's supposed "decline". Bryant came into the Finals with averages of 32 ppg, 5.8 apg, 6.1 rpg, while shooting 53% from the field (TS% = 0.607). Those are freaking unreal numbers. Not to mention he's recorded the longest postseason streak of at least 30 points, 6 assists and 6 rebounds at that time. He managed to achieve this feat in 6 consecutive games (Michael Jordan (1993 to 1995) and Oscar Robertson (1963 to 1964) had four-game streaks which spanned playoff years). He actually fell 4 points shy (scored "only" 26 in Game 5 against Utah) of making it an 8 game streak. His PER was also only lower than Paul's (who played less games) at that time (just around 30). How's that for declining, eh Hollinger?

Meh, I know this whole rant was pointless, but the hate for Kobe (and the Lakers) is really so passe it's not even funny anymore.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:
Lamar Odom wishes he could ask Kobe Bryant for advice on recent fan backlash

Quote:
“I miss him just for his advice,” Odom said. “The first advice I would ask him for is how do I get these fans to forgive me for pawning those rings — just for his brotherhood and leadership.”

https://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/lamar-odom-wishes-he-could-ask-kobe-bryant-advice-fan-backlash/539908

Believe you are the man KOBE KNOWS YOU ARE
Read
Footprints In the Sand
One night a you had a dream. You dreamed
you were celebrating winning the NBA Finals winning the NBA Finals with KOBE and receiving your ring receiving your ring

Dwight who.. high flying Lamar

Lamar Odom #7 of the Los Angeles Lakers celebrates with the Larry O'Brien Championship trophy

Lamar Odom #7 of the Los Angeles Lakers celebrates with the Larry O'Brien Championship trophy

Across the sky flashed scenes from the seasons.
For each scene you noticed two sets of
footprints in the sand: one belonging
to you, and the other to KOBE.

When the last scene of the seasons flashed before you,
you looked back at the footprints in the sand.

You noticed that many times along the path of
the seasons there was only one set of footprints.

You also noticed that it happened at the very
lowest and saddest times.

This bothered you and you
questioned Kobe about it:

"KOBE, you said that once I decided to follow
you, you'd walk with me all the way.
But I have noticed that during the most
troublesome times in the season,
there is only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why when
I needed you most you would leave me."

KOBE replied:

"My son, my precious child,
I love you and I would never leave you.
During your times of trial and suffering,
when you see only one set of footprints,
it was then that I carried you."

GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Nobody wrote:
One of my very first posts here. Defending our boy from the get go. Good times. Sincerely miss those. One month and it still doesn't feel real.

Nobody wrote:
I also find this reasoning completely laughable:
"(3) Kobe. It's become passe to say he's the best player in the league; certainly he's been on the short list for the past half-decade. He's also 30 and has more mileage on his legs than any other 30-year-old in history, which might not be a concern except that his numbers have dropped fairly sharply each of the past two seasons. The fact that he's trying to play out the entire season with a wounded finger makes me think this isn't the year he breaks the streak. My projection system has his PER at 23.83 -- that's without putting my thumb on the scale for the factors mentioned above -- and while that's still awesome, it also would continue the downward trend (28.11, 26.13, 24.31) since age 27."

He is basing his whole "Kobe is declining" argument on freaking PER?! Jesus. Yes, he might not be as efficient as Paul, James or Stoudamire offensively, but that doesn't negate the fact that he's had one of the most well-rounded seasons since probably 2002/03; the second best TS% of his career (1st eFG%), the most rebounds per game since 2002/03, the same goes for steals. So he scored less, big deal. When you have a deep team, you can afford to score less.

I also love the fact how he completely overlooks the monster playoffs (sans the 3 bad games he had against the Cs) he had in his "evaluation" of Kobe's supposed "decline". Bryant came into the Finals with averages of 32 ppg, 5.8 apg, 6.1 rpg, while shooting 53% from the field (TS% = 0.607). Those are freaking unreal numbers. Not to mention he's recorded the longest postseason streak of at least 30 points, 6 assists and 6 rebounds at that time. He managed to achieve this feat in 6 consecutive games (Michael Jordan (1993 to 1995) and Oscar Robertson (1963 to 1964) had four-game streaks which spanned playoff years). He actually fell 4 points shy (scored "only" 26 in Game 5 against Utah) of making it an 8 game streak. His PER was also only lower than Paul's (who played less games) at that time (just around 30). How's that for declining, eh Hollinger?

Meh, I know this whole rant was pointless, but the hate for Kobe (and the Lakers) is really so passe it's not even funny anymore.

This is the unified love that Kobe brought to us all. The unwavering passion to defend him at all costs. During the lowest points and even at his highest. The haters never let up, and we kept bringing it right back. Thanks for sharing!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Man in the AD thread there was a topic on Pau and AD ... and my post just got me thinking back of the day when Kobe finally got his second star in Feb 2008. I will never forget that day or what Kobe said.

My reaction was just bananas dancing for like 10 min straight, sort of like when Horry hit the game winning 3 against Sacto. Then I saw the Kobe interview and him saying now its on him, he has what he needs to win (to that context). And then you see the team do so well, play so beautifully.

Those memories I have of the Triangle, Pau-Kobe-LO. The offense, the defense. The way they played together. I definitely had a preference for team ball over Kobe ball, but it was needed to win, you need both to win championships.

I will never accept or get over this, but I will forever be grateful that in my lifetime as a Laker fan, I got to witness the career of Kobe, and especially that time in 2008-2010. That era it was special, special time.

Thank you so much, Bean. You will never be forgotten, dude.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject:

I am happy to see old stories on Kobe before he was drafted and stories about many GMs, coaches and experts doubting on a high schooler's potentials. Those stories help me heal the wounds as the result of Kobe and Gigi's passing away. I thought I had overcome the grief of losing Kobe. But Vanessa's, Jordan's and Shaq's words brought my tears back.

I will slowly read the stories posted here to fully heal the wounds and let Kobe and Gigi go in peace. Thanks for all the stories.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1229263901273051141?s=20
Don’t know if anyone posted this, but this was an awesome tribute by lebron
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:

Break the triangle. Kobe iso.
Pureshot77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Break the triangle. Kobe iso.

styleripftw
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Damn today is one month..
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Heart is still broken. Shock is still there. I’m still wishing this nightmare to be over and I’ll wake up soon. Rest Easy GOAT
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
So I was going through some old computer files and I found my LG write-up of Kobe's last game at Boston Garden in Dec. 2015. I barely remember writing it but I thought I'd share here once again:

Quote:
So I went to a basketball game last night and joy broke out.

As a Laker fan, you couldn’t have asked for more from Kobe’s final game at Boston Garden – a close game, a Laker road win, young guys stepping up and Kobe closing it out with dagger 3’s. And Laker fans were out in force! There were large pockets of gold throughout the stadium, mostly gold No. 24 but also lots of purple No. 24 and a fair amount of gold No. 32. There was even a guy near us in a Bynum jersey.

The first thing that struck me early in the game was the great camaraderie and body language of all the Lakers both on the floor and the bench. For a team with so few wins, it was great to see these guys really pull for one another and be so engaged.

Our young trio, Russell, Clarkson & Randle, really stood out and you could tell the locals were impressed. My brother hasn’t watched as many games the last couple of years and this game gave him reason to get excited about the Laker future again.

The crowd was both pulling for Kobe every time he touched the ball and yet booing him too because of pain he has inflicted on them over the years. He may be cold for quarters at a time, but the crowd knows he can turn into throwback Kobe with one swish. Kobe’s body has almost run out of gas and he’s working on fumes at this point. When he went out of the game towards the end of the third, they put the ice-pack on his shoulder and we thought, well that’s it for Kobe, he’s done for the night. When Scott brought him back in, I’m not gonna lie, I thought he was crazy. Clarkson and Russell were playing so well, I thought for sure he’d let the young guys finish. And then I thought, well it’s a sentimental move, part of the KFT. I prayed to the basketball gods that Kobe had one last little run in him. When he hit those dagger 3’s, it was like, “I don’t believe it!” and then you think, “Of course he hit them!” And one last time, he stuck it to the Celtics fans and gave cause for jubilation to the Laker road faithful. It was freaking awesome! By then end, the arena was about 40% Laker fans and they kept chanting his name even after the game as we were exiting through the bowels of the Garden. The Celtic fans had no fight in them at that point and were forced to play along and salute one of the best to ever lace them up.

Other random notes:

There was a father and son sitting behind us – I think the boy was about 9 or 10. They were Celtic fans, but this kid knew every player on both teams, 1 through 12, even every Laker. He was telling his dad all about Randle at Kentucky, and Larry Nance Jr being the son of the great Larry Nance, and rattling off stats. It was too cute.

MWP was in street clothes, but he was out there during shootaround and half-time working with the young guys. In particular, I saw him working with D-Lo on defense. He was either showing him a trick about how to escape a defender or showing him a trick on how to defend. Either way, I’m glad he’s around.

Roy Hibbert has Kwame Brown’s hands and touch around the basket. With another coach, we would be getting him easy lobs at the rim instead of asking him to create for himself in the post. But Hibbert is a great bench guy, very positive and encouraging of the young players. He made some nice passes too.

During warm-ups, Larry Nance Jr did a couple of monster dunks for fun and my brother almost had a heart attack seeing how high he got. LOL. Waiting to see more of that in-game. Again, next year with more experience and a different offense…

And speaking of offense, we did well last night so I’m not gonna criticize the coaching. But watching the young core, it is so obvious we should be playing up-tempo and getting out in transition at every possible opportunity. It was demoralizing to see a potential fast-break opportunity then watch D-Lo have to intentionally slow things down to comply with Byron’s half-court, plodding offense. Just not right.

Another weird road moment – there was huge section of Laker fans behind the Celtics basket and late in the fourth on some crucial free-throws, they did the usual fan thing of trying to distract the shooter. Except it’s a Celtic player and he’s being heckled in his own gym. Loved it.

As we were leaving, the chants continued. Ko-beee Bry-Ant. You could tell it meant a lot to him. All in all, it was perfect way to end Kobe’s last game in Boston. This was probably the last time I will ever watch him play in person and it was a great last memory.

🙌💜🙌
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject:

I like to watch Kimmel's tribute once a week. Feels kind of calm watching KB joke and converse with Jimmy on every possible subject.
ViolaMB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject:

RestEasyBlackMamba wrote:
Heart is still broken. Shock is still there. I’m still wishing this nightmare to be over and I’ll wake up soon. Rest Easy GOAT

i don't fell any shock anymore at all. all i feel non stop is either deep sadness or anger, pissed that it could be prevented in hundreds of ways, and after this grueling anger i go back to sadness again and again...
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject:

There was a great LS09 mix posted in the 04-05 season with Lifehouse - Hanging by the Moment playing in the background and I searched through all my old hard drives and can't find it. It was a great time for me as a fan in the sense that I never felt closer to not just the man, but the Lakers franchise. I was so passionate about wanting to get back to the top of the mountain. All the BS and drama was over and done with, it was time to start over with the Lakers finally being Kobe's team. It was an obsession I couldn't get over. We we're there for the various down years that thankfully didn't last long because of number 8/24. Never forget those times. Miss those days.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Sort of an odd piece to add here.. but the poor fella stayed alive to witness his 60th Anniversary of helping save the Minneapolis Lakers in a plane crash on January 18th.. 8 days earlier + 60 years

https://twitter.com/tweetdavebenz/status/1218686960648278016
https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/head-coach-nick-nurse-of-the-toronto-raptors-meets-harold-news-photo/1194564614?adppopup=true
Quote:
The Miracle Cornfield Landing of 1960
https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=145234
January 18th, 1960

At 1:40 am during a blizzard on January 18th, 1960, a World War II and Korean War marine veteran conducted a successful emergency landing of a DC-3 airplane a few yards north of this spot.

Shortly after an 8:30pm takeoff from St. Louis, MO, the airplane experienced electrical failure. Without any guidance instruments, the crew maneuvered in the direction of Minneapolis, MN but drifted off course. Sighting the town's water tower and courthouse clock through the snowstorm the loud and low plane flew several times over Carroll trying to find a place to land. With his head sticking out the side window because the windshield was frosted over and low on fuel, the pilot landed the 95 foot wing span aircraft near this spot.

On board the plane were 23 people, including the professional basketball team, the Minneapolis Lakers, which moved to Los Angeles the following year. This area was a cornfield in 1960 with unpicked corn standing in January from a wet harvest season. The pilot later joked, "never try to pick corn with a DC-3."

According to Carroll historian James Kerwin, the pilot paid tribute to Carroll, "the peopleof Carroll were terrific. Within five minutes, two or three men came dashing up to offer help, and in another five minutes a whole fleet of cars was out in the road. In a half hour we had hot coffee and warm rooms. The worst ordeal of our lives was over. God must have been my co-pilot."

The cornfield landing in deep snow did not damage the sturdy DC-3. Within a few days, the planes electrical system was repaired and Carroll residents bulldozed a makeshift airstrip through the snow and corn stalks. With hundreds of spectators lining the nearby road, the plane soared northward and returned to Minnesota. The Lakers continued using the converted war cargo plane.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 126, 127, 128 ... 161, 162, 163  Next
Page 127 of 163
Jump to: