The NBA Kobe Bryant Award
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frostdude1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: The NBA Kobe Bryant Award

The NBA needs to create the Kobe Bryant Award and award it to the scoring champion of the regular season ❤️
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject:

Ditto, but I'd give it to the player who's done the most to help and inspire others off the court that year.
PNWlakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject:

I've also seen rumblings on Twitter of the logo change.

THAT would be special.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The NBA Kobe Bryant Award

frostdude1 wrote:
The NBA needs to create the Kobe Bryant Award and award it to the scoring champion of the regular season ❤️

Scoring champion? Nah, it should go to the most skilled, most relentless and hard working player.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Ditto, but I'd give it to the player who's done the most to help and inspire others off the court that year.

I like this.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject:

It should go to the player that should have been MVP, but the actual MVP award went to someone else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:

They kind of already have that, the NBA Cares Community Assist Award.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject:

20,000 wrote:
It should go to the player that should have been MVP, but the actual MVP award went to someone else.

I think they should name that one after Steve Nash.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Maybe the all-star mvp award. he has the most -- nothing more kobe than being the best player in a game played by the very, very best.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject:

I like the All Star MVP idea.

I'd also like to change the court at Staples to the Kobe Bryant Court.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

I like this.

Very similar to MLB's Roberto Clemente award -- I still remember his tragic accident.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

That's would be the Laker's tribute but how about an NBA tribute
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Definitely think it should be the All Star MVP award
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

Yeah I vote the NBA All Star MVP.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject:

All Star MVP is cool
skin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject:

statue needs to go up ASAP
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Change the logo.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Change the logo.

Jerry West would be the very first person to 2nd this motion.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject:

In this day of advanced stats, I say the award goes to the player who passed the rock, the LEAST!!!

Thank you Mamba!
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:33 am    Post subject:

Well I do not like the idea of the award. Looks not so important.

NBA should have each year TheBlackMamba day like they have MLK day or something like that. I think this would be a good approach to honor a legend. MLK meant to world like Kobe meant for NBA basketball.

What do you guys think about this idea?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
Wilt wrote:

That's would be the Laker's tribute but how about an NBA tribute

Where would that end? What tribute for Larry Bird? Magic? Shaq? All of those players plus many more contributed to the growth of the NBA, all deserve recognition. If anything the league itself should be renamed the Magic-Bird NBA. They were the ones who saved it.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Where would that end? What tribute for Larry Bird? Magic? Shaq? All of those players plus many more contributed to the growth of the NBA, all deserve recognition. If anything the league itself should be renamed the Magic-Bird NBA. They were the ones who saved it.

As someone else pointed out, it's remarkable how few of the great legends of the NBA have passed away. Mikan, Havlicek, and Wilt are gone, but really that's about it when it comes to the really top tier legends from the distant past. Cousy, Oscar, Pettit, West, Baylor, and Russell are still with us. They were winning MVP awards as early as the mid-1950s. At some point, the dam is going to burst, and we're going to have a lot of NBA funerals.

So yeah, the NBA needs to be careful about tossing around tributes. I have no problem with naming something after Kobe, but there are going to be a lot of guys who merit tributes. Someone at the NBA needs to think this through.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

As someone else pointed out, it's remarkable how few of the great legends of the NBA have passed away. Mikan, Havlicek, and Wilt are gone, but really that's about it when it comes to the really top tier legends from the distant past. Cousy, Oscar, Pettit, West, Baylor, and Russell are still with us. They were winning MVP awards as early as the mid-1950s. At some point, the dam is going to burst, and we're going to have a lot of NBA funerals.

So yeah, the NBA needs to be careful about tossing around tributes. I have no problem with naming something after Kobe, but there are going to be a lot of guys who merit tributes. Someone at the NBA needs to think this through.

True, but there is something fundamentally different about a great who dies from natural causes at age 90 versus someone who dies at 41 from an accident. It's the shock and surprise that is driving all the ideas for tributes about Kobe.

When (now 91) Bob Cousy dies, there won't be a huge public outcry for awards to be named after him. Same with the other all-time greats. There will be a few stories, short memorials, and people will quickly move on because there won't be the same level of surprise and grief.

So I don't believe if they name an award after Kobe it's going to set some precedent people will expect the NBA to follow when others die.

That said, I don't think there is a need to rush to establish a Kobe day or name awards after him. If I were at the NBA, I would let people grief and let some time pass before I created a day, an award or some such that is going to go on in perpetuity. Any idea that is good and that people really want will still be there in a year or two.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:
Well I do not like the idea of the award. Looks not so important.

NBA should have each year TheBlackMamba day like they have MLK day or something like that. I think this would be a good approach to honor a legend. MLK meant to world like Kobe meant for NBA basketball.

What do you guys think about this idea?

I don't think there needs to be a rush to establish awards, holidays and such. I say let some time pass. MLK Day was established 15 years after King died, after all. If there is still a cry for a Kobe day a couple of years from now, consider it. But you don't need to make a bunch of grandiose gestures super quick while people are caught in their grief.

Something Mike Greenberg said today that made sense. Many are just now realizing the global Icon Kobe was. He suggested a award in Kobe's name for recognition of expanding the NBA globally.

Coach Wooden
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
True, but there is something fundamentally different about a great who dies from natural causes at age 90 versus someone who dies at 41 from an accident. It's the shock and surprise that is driving all the ideas for tributes about Kobe.

When (now 91) Bob Cousy dies, there won't be a huge public outcry for awards to be named after him. Same with the other all-time greats. There will be a few stories, short memorials, and people will quickly move on because there won't be the same level of surprise and grief.

So I don't believe if they name an award after Kobe it's going to set some precedent people will expect the NBA to follow when others die.

That said, I don't think there is a need to rush to establish a Kobe day or name awards after him. If I were at the NBA, I would let people grief and let some time pass before I created a day, an award or some such that is going to go on in perpetuity. Any idea that is good and that people really want will still be there in a year or two.

I picked the oldest guys just to make a point about how many of them were still around. I don't think that there will be a movement to honor Cousy or Pettit, though there are folks like that Wilt Chamberlain fanatic who may try to get a movement started for some of these guys. In chronological order of their playing careers, the important milestones will be the passing of Russell, West, Jabbar, Erving, Bird, and Magic.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: