The NBA Kobe Bryant Award
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject:

SpunkieLakerCat wrote:
activeverb wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:
Well I do not like the idea of the award. Looks not so important.

NBA should have each year TheBlackMamba day like they have MLK day or something like that. I think this would be a good approach to honor a legend. MLK meant to world like Kobe meant for NBA basketball.

What do you guys think about this idea?

I don't think there needs to be a rush to establish awards, holidays and such. I say let some time pass. MLK Day was established 15 years after King died, after all. If there is still a cry for a Kobe day a couple of years from now, consider it. But you don't need to make a bunch of grandiose gestures super quick while people are caught in their grief.

Something Mike Greenberg said today that made sense. Many are just now realizing the global Icon Kobe was. He suggested a award in Kobe's name for recognition of expanding the NBA globally.

I don't really get that as an ongoing award myself. I mean, what would you honor players for? Making promotional trips to Asia to try to sell more sneakers? Having a high Q rating in foreign countries? Having good TV ratings in Brazil?

If the NBA introduced an award like that, it would just seem self-serving to me, and I wouldn't give a crap about it.

Last edited by activeverb on Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
20,000 wrote:
It should go to the player that should have been MVP, but the actual MVP award went to someone else.

I think they should name that one after Steve Nash.

SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
SpunkieLakerCat wrote:
activeverb wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

NBA should have each year TheBlackMamba day like they have MLK day or something like that. I think this would be a good approach to honor a legend. MLK meant to world like Kobe meant for NBA basketball.

I don't think there needs to be a rush to establish awards, holidays and such. I say let some time pass. MLK Day was established 15 years after King died, after all. If there is still a cry for a Kobe day a couple of years from now, consider it. But you don't need to make a bunch of grandiose gestures super quick while people are caught in their grief.

Something Mike Greenberg said today that made sense. Many are just now realizing the global Icon Kobe was. He suggested a award in Kobe's name for recognition of expanding the NBA globally.

I don't really get that as an ongoing award myself. I mean, what would you honor players for? Making promotional trips to Asia to try to sell more sneakers? Having a high Q rating in foreign countries? Having good TV ratings in Brazil?

If the NBA introduced an award like that, it would just seem self-serving to me, and I wouldn't give a crap about it.

The way he framed it make it like the award for Roberto Clemente Global Ambassador

Coach Wooden
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:
True, but there is something fundamentally different about a great who dies from natural causes at age 90 versus someone who dies at 41 from an accident. It's the shock and surprise that is driving all the ideas for tributes about Kobe.

When (now 91) Bob Cousy dies, there won't be a huge public outcry for awards to be named after him. Same with the other all-time greats. There will be a few stories, short memorials, and people will quickly move on because there won't be the same level of surprise and grief.

So I don't believe if they name an award after Kobe it's going to set some precedent people will expect the NBA to follow when others die.

That said, I don't think there is a need to rush to establish a Kobe day or name awards after him. If I were at the NBA, I would let people grief and let some time pass before I created a day, an award or some such that is going to go on in perpetuity. Any idea that is good and that people really want will still be there in a year or two.

I picked the oldest guys just to make a point about how many of them were still around. I don't think that there will be a movement to honor Cousy or Pettit, though there are folks like that Wilt Chamberlain fanatic who may try to get a movement started for some of these guys. In chronological order of their playing careers, the important milestones will be the passing of Russell, West, Jabbar, Erving, Bird, and Magic.

Yeah, that reflects that the NBA is a pretty young league. Hardly anyone cares about the 1950s, so the league is less than 70 years old in most people's eyes (and for a lot of people the league didn't really start to matter until the 1980s).

In contrast, baseball fans are still nostalgic about players from the 20s and 30s who have been dead for half a century.

We are just entering the phrase that former NBA players who people care about are entering the end of normal mortality.
windycitycane
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
I like the All Star MVP idea.

I'd also like to change the court at Staples to the Kobe Bryant Court.

Shocking that just days ago this seemed so decades away to honor him
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject:

SpunkieLakerCat wrote:
activeverb wrote:
SpunkieLakerCat wrote:
activeverb wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

The way he framed it make it like the award for Roberto Clemente Global Ambassador

The Roberto Clemente Award is for sportsmanship and community involvement, and the NBA already has awards for that.

If you are talking about an award for international philanthropy, honestly, I don't think Kobe did a huge amount of that. He did stuff in the US, but not a lot outside the country as far as I know. He was just popular in other countries as a player.

I would name an award like that after Dikembe Mutumbo before Kobe.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject:

Larry O'Brien trophy to Kobe Bryant trophy. Kobe wanted championships. Not MVP or all star MVP.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Larry O'Brien trophy to Kobe Bryant trophy. Kobe wanted championships. Not MVP or all star MVP.

I wouldn't name the championship trophy after him myself. Other than the emotion of the moment, I don't see why you would name the trophy after him rather than MJ or Kareem (who won more rings) if you were going to name it after a player.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

I wouldn't name the championship trophy after him myself. Other than the emotion of the moment, I don't see why you would name the trophy after him rather than MJ or Kareem (who won more rings) if you were going to name it after a player.

If that mattered it would be called the Bill Russell award.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

They already named the finals MVP award after Russell so I took him out of the equation. If not for that, yeah, he would be the obvious choice
fubby1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Kobe would always do this thing with his jersey , pull it aside to expose the “Heart Area “...Im thinking it should go to player that shows the most heart. Doesn’t have to be the best player, but the most fearless, clutch player. (I would hope to see some one like AC get that type of recognition one day as he improves) he shows a lot of heart ..
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
SpunkieLakerCat wrote:
activeverb wrote:
SpunkieLakerCat wrote:
activeverb wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

The Roberto Clemente Award is for sportsmanship and community involvement, and the NBA already has awards for that.

If you are talking about an award for international philanthropy, honestly, I don't think Kobe did a huge amount of that. He did stuff in the US, but not a lot outside the country as far as I know. He was just popular in other countries as a player.

I would name an award like that after Dikembe Mutumbo before Kobe.

No they were talking about how Kobe involvement internationally helped expand the NBA world wide. I see what you are saying, right now we are prisoners of the moment.

Coach Wooden
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Where would that end? What tribute for Larry Bird? Magic? Shaq? All of those players plus many more contributed to the growth of the NBA, all deserve recognition. If anything the league itself should be renamed the Magic-Bird NBA. They were the ones who saved it.

As someone else pointed out, it's remarkable how few of the great legends of the NBA have passed away. Mikan, Havlicek, and Wilt are gone, but really that's about it when it comes to the really top tier legends from the distant past. Cousy, Oscar, Pettit, West, Baylor, and Russell are still with us. They were winning MVP awards as early as the mid-1950s. At some point, the dam is going to burst, and we're going to have a lot of NBA funerals.

So yeah, the NBA needs to be careful about tossing around tributes. I have no problem with naming something after Kobe, but there are going to be a lot of guys who merit tributes. Someone at the NBA needs to think this through.

I can't imagine how it couldn't be painfully obvious that there's a monumental difference here being that Kobe Bryant has died at 41, not even 4 years after his last game played, alongside his 13 year old daughter in a violent crash.

I'm sorry you can't see how this is different.

There are so many greats and death is always heartbreaking, but this is an unbelievable tragedy and there certainly isn't a question to Kobe's incalculable impact on the NBA, basketball, sports, and the world.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject:

SpunkieLakerCat wrote:

No they were talking about how Kobe involvement internationally helped expand the NBA world wide. I see what you are saying, right now we are prisoners of the moment.

Yeah, giving people awards for expanding the popularity of the NBA seems odd to me. It's like giving awards for increasing the NBA's profit margins.

The NBA is growing in popularity around the world and as a result NBA players are becoming more popular around the world. That began during the MJ era and has only increased in concert with the explosion of cable and other media, as well as more international players entering the league.

Beyond that, I don't know that anyone is really doing any significant to justify giving out awards. Are any players doing anything beyond holding some camps abroad and doing promotional tours? Not sure what you would honor anyone for.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

They already named the finals MVP award after Russell so I took him out of the equation. If not for that, yeah, he would be the obvious choice

Bill Russell didn't die prematurely in a tragic fashion like Kobe did. Come on, the circumstances are completely different. Again, this fact (likely) won't change by next year or the year after when many of our current legends are still around, and Kobe will still be gone.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Bill Russell didn't die prematurely in a tragic fashion like Kobe did. Come on, the circumstances are completely different. Again, this fact (likely) won't change by next year or the year after when many of our current legends are still around, and Kobe will still be gone.

I get it. Some people, understandably, want to honor Kobe anyway they can imagine -- name the championship trophy after him, make the logo after him, etc.

My point is if you were naming awards based on merit alone, the league probably wouldn't name it after Kobe because there are other guys who are at least equally deserving based on merit.

And, again, just based on merit, if you were going to name the championship trophy after a player it would probably be Russell, because he won way more rings than anyone else, except they already named the Finals MVP after him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: