Worldwide Coronavirus Thread (US death toll passes 1 Million - that's right, 1 Million dead)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 104, 105, 106 ... 316, 317, 318  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject:

One of the problems with the shut downs is that when they work, the people who resisted them think they were right.
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject:

China's wet markets are back on.

Quote:
Cars lined up this week at the main entrance to the Baishazhou wet market, one of the biggest in Wuhan, which is buzzing again. The Chinese city where the coronavirus first emerged has stirred back to life following a lockdown lasting for months.

A sign hovers overhead: “No slaughtering and selling live animals.”

Baishazhou and other wet markets are at the center of an intensifying global debate about whether they should be allowed to operate, given another market in Wuhan was one of the first places where the virus was detected. U.S. officials, in particular, are ramping up pressure to shut them down. Yet such markets in China and elsewhere in Asia are as essential a part of everyday life as bodegas in the New York City or boulangeries in Paris.

The challenge facing Beijing’s central government as Wuhan and the rest of the country seeks to return to normal life will be how to keep open such markets -- which function like a farmers’ market in Western countries -- while enforcing rules against the live slaughter of animals or sale of wildlife on site.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-08/wuhan-is-returning-to-life-so-are-its-disputed-wet-markets
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:00 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1248465227399618566
Quote:
Belarus' FC Dynamo Brest, one of the many soccer clubs still playing in Europe during the coronavirus pandemic, fitted their empty stands with mannequin dolls and cut-out faces during a recent match

Future looks great..lol
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject:

This site that shows the projections that's been posted here several times has not updated the daily numbers or projections since 4/7

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

Anyone know how often they update?

---George Carlin
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject:

Moved post

Last edited by ContagiousInspiration on Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject:

Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
This site that shows the projections that's been posted here several times has not updated the daily numbers or projections since 4/7

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

Anyone know how often they update?

The time prior to the 4/7 update was 4/5, and I don't recall any press about other updates before the 4/5 besides the initially analysis.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject:

4stargeneralbulldog wrote:
China's wet markets are back on.

Quote:
Cars lined up this week at the main entrance to the Baishazhou wet market, one of the biggest in Wuhan, which is buzzing again. The Chinese city where the coronavirus first emerged has stirred back to life following a lockdown lasting for months.

A sign hovers overhead: “No slaughtering and selling live animals.”

Baishazhou and other wet markets are at the center of an intensifying global debate about whether they should be allowed to operate, given another market in Wuhan was one of the first places where the virus was detected. U.S. officials, in particular, are ramping up pressure to shut them down. Yet such markets in China and elsewhere in Asia are as essential a part of everyday life as bodegas in the New York City or boulangeries in Paris.

The challenge facing Beijing’s central government as Wuhan and the rest of the country seeks to return to normal life will be how to keep open such markets -- which function like a farmers’ market in Western countries -- while enforcing rules against the live slaughter of animals or sale of wildlife on site.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-08/wuhan-is-returning-to-life-so-are-its-disputed-wet-markets

Maybe they will have to play PE coach and make everyone suffer by shutting down the the market if they find any violations. Oh, and of course, police the (bleep) out of it.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
This post could seem more political than virus related but what do you do when your Politicians are intentionally breaking CDC Recommendations to try and infect their citizens?

There is going to be an ongoing issue about the use of the shutdown orders and Covid-19 to manipulate voting and elections. This may become a significant issue in November. But, as you foreshadow, this really belongs in The Political Thread.
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject:

nvm

---George Carlin
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:
This post could seem more political than virus related but what do you do when your Politicians are intentionally breaking CDC Recommendations to try and infect their citizens?

There is going to be an ongoing issue about the use of the shutdown orders and Covid-19 to manipulate voting and elections. This may become a significant issue in November. But, as you foreshadow, this really belongs in The Political Thread.

I moved the post.
It does seem as though. Coronavirus is getting weaponized in many ways
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject:

https://i.imgur.com/6C2b4r3.png

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

Literally had a Karen in my store on Monday ask for the manager. (me)

---George Carlin
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject:

Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
C M B wrote:

Literally had a Karen in my store on Monday ask for the manager. (me)

lol

sorry to hear you have to be at work to deal with these people. stay healthy, King

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-filers-enter-payment-info-here

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/10/irs-stimulus-relief-check-portal-launches-how-to-get-stimulus-check.html
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
One of the problems with the shut downs is that when they work, the people who resisted them think they were right.

We also won’t know if we locked down for too long and caused unnecessary damage to the economy that didn’t save lives. I’m hopeful that the doctors and economists are working together to figure out when and how we should reopen the country and various businesses. Im not as confident that politicians will listen if it proves whatever strategy they’ve been supporting wrong. We must be cautious but shouldn’t hesitate when the data suggests it’s safe to reopen. Very important decisions will be made in the near future.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:

I’m hopeful that the doctors and economists are working together

roflmao because physicians would divert their precious time and training away from patient care and public health to advance your tribe's political choreography? Jesus, you people. There is nothing in the hippocratic oath about small businesses or some dumb rube's portfolio.

BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

roflmao why the (bleep) would physicians waste their valuable time and talents to advance your tribe's political choreography? Jesus, you people.

If we were only worried about the medical issues we’d be staying home until a vaccine is available. That’s obviously not realistic or smart for many reasons including the economic impact. I’m not saying economists should be valued over doctors but it’s common sense to hear their input in a situation like this. Economists don’t know anything about the virus and doctors don’t know nearly enough about the economic impact to make the call on their own. It seems obvious that both sides should be heard in order to come to a reasonable date and strategy for reopening the country.

After reading your edit I think you misunderstood who I was referring to. I’m not talking about doctors working in ICU departments, I’m referring to Fauci and other doctors like him who have been integral in the widespread decision making.

No need to be so combative, we can have a reasonable discussion. I didn’t mean to say anything controversial just wanted to acknowledge we can’t just bar the doors till 2021 and not consider the ramifications of doing that.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
C M B wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

roflmao why the (bleep) would physicians waste their valuable time and talents to advance your tribe's political choreography? Jesus, you people.

If we were only worried about the medical issues we’d be staying home until a vaccine is available. That’s obviously not realistic or smart for many reasons including the economic impact. I’m not saying economists should be valued over doctors but it’s common sense to hear their input in a situation like this. Economists don’t know anything about the virus and doctors don’t know nearly enough about the economic impact to make the call on their own. It seems obvious that both sides should be heard in order to come to a reasonable date and strategy for reopening the country.

After reading your edit I think you misunderstood who I was referring to. I’m not talking about doctors working in ICU departments, I’m referring to Fauci and other doctors like him who have been integral in the widespread decision making.

No need to be so combative, we can have a reasonable discussion. I didn’t mean to say anything controversial just wanted to acknowledge we can’t just bar the doors till 2021 and not consider the ramifications of doing that.

I understood you quite clearly. the two belligerent "sides" in this conflict are human and virus, not public health experts and wall street, and the former will not, and should not take the latter into account whatsoever.

BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
C M B wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

I understood you quite clearly. the two belligerent "sides" in this conflict are human and virus, not public health experts and wall street, and the former will not, and should not take the latter into account whatsoever.

When did I mention Wall Street? You clearly have no interest in a reasonable discussion, have no idea what you’re talking about, and would rather convince yourself I’m something that I’m not opposed to giving my statement any kind of objective consideration. So for those reasons, this exchange can end here.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:

Yes, this is one of the places where it gets complex. Unemployment and poverty kill people, too. There is a limit to how long we can forestall a collapse with government subsidies.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject:

It’s not just Wall Street that people are talking about. A huge number of Americans live paycheck to paycheck, didn’t have enough money to even handle a $400 emergency BEFORE this happened and now they are facing a serious problem.

This is a really stressful time for a lot of people. I’ve seen reports of calls to suicide hotlines being increased significantly.

Quote:
“We've seen a 40% increase in calls to the suicide prevention line just in the last month,” said Dr. Jonathan Porteus, chief executive officer for WellSpace.

Quote:
“People are talking about the economic consequences of the coronavirus,” Porteus said.

“People are watching their savings whittle away,” he added. “They just lost their jobs. They're not sure even when there will be jobs in their industry to go back to. Yes, it seems to be causally connected to COVID-19."

Suicide hotlines report surge in calls after coronavirus outbreak

Quote:
In the last two weeks, more than 50 percent of the calls to the crisis hotline have been about the coronavirus, with an uptick in calls about financial problems, alcohol use and thoughts of suicide compared to the preceding two weeks, Walsh said.

Quote:
But there have been obstacles. A lot of the tips that crisis counselors around the country normally offer — such as leaving the house if you feel suicidal to go to a safer environment or meeting up with friends to combat feelings of loneliness — are not possible while social distancing.

'Hard for helpers, too': Faced with their own coronavirus fears, crisis hotline counselors answer surge in calls

Last edited by Steve007 on Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject:

After a month or two of social isolation they are going to have no choice but to open up the country. If the virus doesn't kill people, the economic ramifications will do it for them.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject:

These numbers are much worse:

Quote:
many more Americans will find themselves in “dire straits” over the coming weeks, and that U.S. agencies have yet to properly prepare for the unfolding “mental health crisis

Last month the “Disaster Distress Helpline” at the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) saw an 891% increase in call volume compared with March 2019

this March – ending little more than a week ago – saw 338% more calls to the helpline than in the month before, when the deadly virus began to take hold inside the U.S. homeland

Calls to US helpline jump 891%, as White House is warned of mental health crisis
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Reopening too soon and having a second wave is worst case scenario. Then we're back to square 1. Tough to make an economic argument for that.

So medical considerations have to be first and foremost.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
The PPP that rolled out on Friday is designed to mitigate that by essentially providing money to cover the payroll of employees and contractors long enough to whether this storm.

Unfortunately, this is already showing signs of becoming a fiasco.

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/7/21209584/paycheck-protection-program-banks-access

https://www.ibtimes.com/us-set-pump-more-funds-small-business-loans-2954436

Hopefully, we can get it worked out.

They will. You can imagine the logistics involved in having very limited time to invent and implement a system to assist hundreds of thousands of small business owners desperate to preserve their livelihood by applying for a brand new federal program all at the same time.

Interest article regarding the rise in cases in rural areas:
NY TIMES, April 6th

Quote:
A new wave of coronavirus cases is spreading deep into rural corners of the country where people once hoped their communities might be shielded because of their isolation from hard-hit urban centers and the natural social distancing of life in the countryside.

Quote:
Rural nurses and doctors, scarce in normal times, are already calling out sick and being quarantined. Clinics are scrambling to find couriers who can speed their coronavirus tests to labs hundreds of miles away. The loss of 120 rural hospitals over the past decade has left many towns defenseless, and more hospitals are closing even as the pandemic spreads.

Coronavirus illnesses and deaths are still overwhelmingly concentrated in cities and suburbs, and new rural cases have not exploded at the same rate as in some cities. But they are growing fast. This week, the case rate in rural areas was more than double what it was six days earlier.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 104, 105, 106 ... 316, 317, 318  Next
Page 105 of 318
Jump to: