Worldwide Coronavirus Thread (US death toll passes 1 Million - that's right, 1 Million dead)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 248, 249, 250 ... 316, 317, 318  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
32 wrote:
California is now allowing workers to not wear masks. I just went to Ralph's and there were several employees in the store without masks on. There were more employees without masks than shoppers.

It'll put that vaccination rate to the test. If the vaccine is as effective as they say it is, we won't see a major spike in infections.

Well, the vaccine won’t be effective if unvaccinated spreaders wander around each other unmasked.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject:

Workers have to be fully vaccinated in order to not wear a mask. Unvaccinated workers still have to wear a mask.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject:

That's the thing though... are employers requiring their employees to show proof of Vaccination? Isn't that a bit of a slippery slope?

I know there are a few business owners in here.... how are you handling this moving forward??
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Employers will need to document who is vaccinated in their workplaces, but they are not required to retain copies of vaccination cards. Instead, they can allow employees to self-attest to full inoculation.

LINK
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject:

This is the abstract of a short paper submitted to Nature Medicine by an Israeli group link

Quote:
Mass vaccination has the potential to curb the current COVID-19 pandemic by protecting individuals who have been vaccinated against the disease and possibly lowering the likelihood of transmission to individuals who have not been vaccinated. The high effectiveness of the widely administered BNT162b vaccine from Pfizer–BioNTech in preventing not only the disease but also infection with SARS-CoV-2 suggests a potential for a population-level effect, which is critical for disease eradication. However, this putative effect is difficult to observe, especially in light of highly fluctuating spatiotemporal epidemic dynamics. Here, by analyzing vaccination records and test results collected during the rapid vaccine rollout in a large population from 177 geographically defined communities, we find that the rates of vaccination in each community are associated with a substantial later decline in infections among a cohort of individuals aged under 16 years, who are unvaccinated. On average, for each 20 percentage points of individuals who are vaccinated in a given population, the positive test fraction for the unvaccinated population decreased approximately twofold. These results provide observational evidence that vaccination not only protects individuals who have been vaccinated but also provides cross-protection to unvaccinated individuals in the community.

Basically, as they vaccinated people over 16 with Pfizer vaccine, for every 20% increase in vaccinations, they saw a 2-fold drop in cases in the under 16 age group (who could not yet be vaccinated). The kids benefited by the adults getting vaccinated.

So the non-vaxers in areas where there are high vaccination levels (e.g. CA and North-East Coast) should get some benefit from the vaccinated folks not transmitting the virus. Not as much as if they actually got vaccinated themselves but some benefit. Which makes sense but this actually documents and quantifies it.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject:

I went to a museum with a friend today. First time in a year and a half. We both wore our masks the whole time. Most employees were masked but almost none of the other museum goers wore masks. There were some children too young to be vax'd and they did wear masks.

Fine. I can socially distance and wear my mask. I can walk away from a crowded exhibit and wait for it to clear out.

But here is where my head almost exploded. Several middle-aged white men, unmasked, felt free to cough and/or sneeze with NO ATTEMPT WHATSOEVER TO COVER THEIR MOUTHS AND NOSES. Even without COVID, this annoyed me and grossed me out. Now it makes me want to punch their lights out.

Finally with one dude I just said, "YOU COULD AT LEAST COVER YOUR FACE WHEN YOU COUGH," as I demonstrated covering my face with my inner elbow. I said, "It's the polite thing to do and the smart thing to do."

He didn't respond at all. I'm not even sure what I said penetrated his dense skull.

But this is why I will continue to wear a mask in crowded public places -- even perhaps beyond COVID. I cook for people for a living and I don't need cold and flu bugs spewed my way either, let alone covid.

WTF is it with these people? 600,000 deaths and 18 months of life disrupted wasn't enough to get your attention on the basics of appropriate hygiene?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject:

I read an article yesterday that even if you're vax'd and somehow get a mild case of COVID anyway, and even though you are protected from hospitalization and death, you are still susceptible to other COVID side effects that haven't been thoroughly documented yet. There can be permanent changes to brain chemistry, memory, sense of taste and smell. While these may be relatively "minor" in the big picture, losing one's sense of taste or smell is no minor thing -- especially if you are a chef and taste and smell things for a living.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
I went to a museum with a friend today. First time in a year and a half. We both wore our masks the whole time. Most employees were masked but almost none of the other museum goers wore masks. There were some children too young to be vax'd and they did wear masks.

Fine. I can socially distance and wear my mask. I can walk away from a crowded exhibit and wait for it to clear out.

But here is where my head almost exploded. Several middle-aged white men, unmasked, felt free to cough and/or sneeze with NO ATTEMPT WHATSOEVER TO COVER THEIR MOUTHS AND NOSES. Even without COVID, this annoyed me and grossed me out. Now it makes me want to punch their lights out.

Finally with one dude I just said, "YOU COULD AT LEAST COVER YOUR FACE WHEN YOU COUGH," as I demonstrated covering my face with my inner elbow. I said, "It's the polite thing to do and the smart thing to do."

He didn't respond at all. I'm not even sure what I said penetrated his dense skull.

But this is why I will continue to wear a mask in crowded public places -- even perhaps beyond COVID. I cook for people for a living and I don't need cold and flu bugs spewed my way either, let alone covid.

WTF is it with these people? 600,000 deaths and 18 months of life disrupted wasn't enough to get your attention on the basics of appropriate hygiene?

You’re bold. I feel like the most likely reaction from that type of person would be some form of non-compliance if not outright aggression.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
I read an article yesterday that even if you're vax'd and somehow get a mild case of COVID anyway, and even though you are protected from hospitalization and death, you are still susceptible to other COVID side effects that haven't been thoroughly documented yet. There can be permanent changes to brain chemistry, memory, sense of taste and smell. While these may be relatively "minor" in the big picture, losing one's sense of taste or smell is no minor thing -- especially if you are a chef and taste and smell things for a living.
Tell my girlfriend about it. A lot of the things she eats taste like garlic. We had covid in december and she still can't taste right.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
32 wrote:
California is now allowing workers to not wear masks. I just went to Ralph's and there were several employees in the store without masks on. There were more employees without masks than shoppers.

It'll put that vaccination rate to the test. If the vaccine is as effective as they say it is, we won't see a major spike in infections.

There is a correlation between vaccine rate and infection spikes, but it takes herd immunity to actually make it sputter and die. Last I read the estimate for C19 herd immunity was 94%, and we're nowhere near that. We can easily continue to see spikes as a result. In addition to that, 1) The varying vaccination rates in different areas mean that compliance is much lower in some areas than in others, making those areas more fertile ground for spikes; and 2) the longer the virus sticks around, the greater the opportunity for mutation, and the vaccines could potentially have low efficacy against a new variant.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Over 70% of Californians 12 and older have now received at least one shot of the COVID-19 vaccine.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GavinNewsom/status/1407383357189619714
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject:

This is pretty cool.

Quote:
Starting today, you'll be able to get a COVID-19 vaccine and some free food at nearly 50 Southern California McDonald's locations.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ABC7/status/1407181875123167237
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Israel Prepares To Reinstate Mask Mandate As Delta Variant Drives New Covid Surge

Israel is set to reinstate an indoor mask mandate in a bid to contain outbreaks of Covid-19, the latest setback for one of the world’s most vaccinated countries as the infectious Delta variant drives a surge of cases in children and vaccinated people.
TOPSHOT-ISRAEL-HEALTH-VIRUS
Israel is likely to reinstate an indoor mask [+]
AFP VIA GETTY IMAGES
KEY FACTS

The mandate will be restored when the average number of daily Covid-19 cases over the course of a week exceeds 100, Israel’s health ministry said Thursday, a threshold its public health director Dr. Sharon Alroy-Preis believes will be met Sunday.

At the time of writing, there are already more than 100 cases reported for Thursday, which is the fourth consecutive day where Israel has registered over 100 new cases.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart/2021/06/24/israel-prepares-to-reinstate-mask-mandate-as-delta-variant-drives-new-covid-surge/?sh=22ee8d626d09

LA County’s population is about a million higher and new cases have been ranging from 120 to 314* since around the start of June. LA county updated the mask mandate on June 15th with the re-opening (apparently Israel relaxed their mask mandate on the same day).

Edit: *Update 6/24. LA County just broke 300+ new cases in today’s report, highest in a while. It won’t be a surprise if there’s another mask mandate again.
https://twitter.com/lapublichealth/status/1408236012371906566?s=20
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject:

XTC wrote:
Quote:

Israel Prepares To Reinstate Mask Mandate As Delta Variant Drives New Covid Surge

Israel is set to reinstate an indoor mask mandate in a bid to contain outbreaks of Covid-19, the latest setback for one of the world’s most vaccinated countries as the infectious Delta variant drives a surge of cases in children and vaccinated people.
AFP VIA GETTY IMAGES
KEY FACTS

The mandate will be restored when the average number of daily Covid-19 cases over the course of a week exceeds 100, Israel’s health ministry said Thursday, a threshold its public health director Dr. Sharon Alroy-Preis believes will be met Sunday.

At the time of writing, there are already more than 100 cases reported for Thursday, which is the fourth consecutive day where Israel has registered over 100 new cases.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart/2021/06/24/israel-prepares-to-reinstate-mask-mandate-as-delta-variant-drives-new-covid-surge/?sh=22ee8d626d09

LA County’s population is about a million higher and new cases have been ranging from 120 to 314* since around the start of June. LA county updated the mask mandate on June 15th with the re-opening (apparently Israel relaxed their mask mandate on the same day).

Edit: *Update 6/24. LA County just broke 300+ new cases in today’s report, highest in a while. It won’t be a surprise if there’s another mask mandate again.

The key finding here is that it is spreading among those ALREADY VACCINATED.

WSJ: Delta Variant Outbreak in Israel Infects Vaccinated Adults

Quote:
About half of adults infected in an outbreak of the Delta variant of Covid-19 in Israel were fully inoculated with the Pfizer Inc. vaccine, prompting the government to reimpose an indoor mask requirement and other measures to contain the highly transmissible strain.

Preliminary findings by Israeli health officials suggest about 90% of the new infections were caused by the Delta variant, according to Ran Balicer, who leads an expert advisory panel on Covid-19 for the government. Around half of the adults who were infected were fully vaccinated, he said. Israel is now reassessing its Covid-19 regulations after moving to open up its society and economy after multiple lockdowns last year.

I never stopped wearing my mask and social distancing. This is why.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Yep.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject:

More bad news from UK (comparing UK track to US track as Delta variant spreads):

Quote:
Ashish K. Jha, MD, MPH @ashishkjha

US has done well on vaccinations

Will it be enough to ward off spike from Delta variant?

Let's look to UK for to peek into our future

A month ago, UK had half the cases (per capita) as the US

Delta was starting to take hold in UK

See graph (US in blue, UK in red)

Then, over past month, Delta became dominant in UK

So what happened?

See graph

UK's infections increased nearly 6X in the past month or so

And UK cases now 5X that of the US!!

Ah you say -- that's infections. But surely no impact on hospitalizations!

Actually, hospitalization in the UK are also up

Up nearly 80% from a month ago

With no signs of slowing down

So that's not great

But surely given that UK has vaccinated all of its high risk folks, deaths are falling?

Here, there is good news

Deaths are low (largely because almost all older folks are vaccinated)

But even here, there are preliminary signs that deaths are rising

So not great.

But may be its because UK hasn't been doing a great job fully vaccinating people?

Actually, that's not right

UK has fully vaccinated (2 shots) a higher portion of its population than the US has

So what does this mean?

In UK, Delta became dominant and

Cases spiked 5X

Hospitalizations up 90%

Deaths rising albeit slowly so far

Despite having vaccinated more folks than US

The UK experience suggests US vaccination level will not be enough to ward of Delta spike

Infection rises likely to become apparent over next few weeks as Delta becomes dominant

The spike won't be uniform across nation

Indeed, low vax communities are particularly at risk

Link to twitter thread with graphs and charts
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
XTC wrote:
Quote:

AFP VIA GETTY IMAGES
KEY FACTS

The key finding here is that it is spreading among those ALREADY VACCINATED.

WSJ: Delta Variant Outbreak in Israel Infects Vaccinated Adults

Quote:
About half of adults infected in an outbreak of the Delta variant of Covid-19 in Israel were fully inoculated with the Pfizer Inc. vaccine, prompting the government to reimpose an indoor mask requirement and other measures to contain the highly transmissible strain.

Preliminary findings by Israeli health officials suggest about 90% of the new infections were caused by the Delta variant, according to Ran Balicer, who leads an expert advisory panel on Covid-19 for the government. Around half of the adults who were infected were fully vaccinated, he said. Israel is now reassessing its Covid-19 regulations after moving to open up its society and economy after multiple lockdowns last year.

Key data point I’m looking for is spreading to or spreading among vaccinated population. Thus far it looks like vaccinated people are getting it but not spreading it themselves.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Delta variant is spreading in California as COVID-19 battle enters an uncertain phase

The Delta variant of the coronavirus is beginning to spread in California, offering a preview of how the battle of the pandemic is going to change as officials move to protect a shrinking minority who remain at risk because they have not been vaccinated.

The Delta variant may be twice as transmissible as the conventional strain. But California and the rest of the nation are far more protected against COVID-19 than ever before. California has one of the highest vaccination rates in the nation, and the U.S. has one of the highest per capita rates of inoculation in the world.

And vaccines available in the U.S. are believed to be effective against the Delta variant, as they have been for all known variants. But that still leaves tens of millions of unvaccinated people still potentially vulnerable.

“If you’re vaccinated, it’s nothing,” UC San Francisco epidemiologist Dr. George Rutherford said of the Delta variant. “If you’re not vaccinated, you’re hosed.”

Officials don’t expect another deadly COVID-19 surge on the order of those that walloped the nation three times in the past 15 months. Rather, the risk is more that the Delta variant will take root in pockets of unimmunized communities that haven’t previously been infected with the coronavirus.

This is the kind of future experts expect: one in which most of the population, who are vaccinated, are well protected against the world’s worst pandemic in the last century, while risks remain for those who aren’t vaccinated.

[...]

But the U.K.'s recent uptick in cases and hospitalizations is still very mild compared with its winter surge. Daily coronavirus cases in the U.K. are down more than 80% from the winter peak, while the number of people in the hospital with COVID-19 is still down by about 97%.

The U.K. is still reporting fewer than 15 COVID-19 deaths a day since the beginning of May, down from about 1,300 deaths a day at the peak of the pandemic.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-06-24/covid-19-delta-variant-spread-california-how-bad-is-it
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject:

I'm not going to panic here. If you're vaccinated, you're going to be fine. The UK percentages look scary at first but it's a percentage of an extremely tiny number compared to even 4 months ago.

Quite frankly, if the unvaccinated people at this point choose to kill themselves off, I won't be shedding any tears.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
I'm not going to panic here. If you're vaccinated, you're going to be fine. The UK percentages look scary at first but it's a percentage of an extremely tiny number compared to even 4 months ago.

Quite frankly, if the unvaccinated people at this point choose to kill themselves off, I won't be shedding any tears.

The key is that they don’t cause breakouts.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

The key is that they don’t cause breakouts.

Yep.

Quote:
Nearly all COVID deaths in US are now among unvaccinated

Nearly all COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. now are in people who weren’t vaccinated, a staggering demonstration of how effective the shots have been and an indication that deaths per day — now down to under 300 — could be practically zero if everyone eligible got the vaccine.

An Associated Press analysis of available government data from May shows that “breakthrough” infections in fully vaccinated people accounted for fewer than 1,200 of more than 853,000 COVID-19 hospitalizations. That’s about 0.1%.

And only about 150 of the more than 18,000 COVID-19 deaths in May were in fully vaccinated people. That translates to about 0.8%, or five deaths per day on average.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-health-941fcf43d9731c76c16e7354f5d5e187

5 deaths per day in a population of 330 million. Get your shots people!!
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:34 am    Post subject:

Griffith Observatory just reopened after 15 months!

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Griffith Observatory just reopened after 15 months!

My high school (AP English) teacher took us there, on a class field trip, in 1987 or so.

That place is great.

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject:

Quote:
According to new data from the CDC, a little more than three in four fully vaccinated people who end up getting severe COVID are 65 years or older. The CDC says that more than 4,100 individuals have been hospitalized or died with COVID in the U.S. as of June 21, despite being fully vaccinated. There were 3,907 hospitalizations and 750 deaths in people who were two weeks or more out from the final dose of their COVID vaccine. The CDC's data shows that 76 percent of these severe breakthrough cases were in individuals 65 years or older.

Yahoo link

[Link added by CL. Please include links when posting. Thanks. -CL]
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:
According to new data from the CDC, a little more than three in four fully vaccinated people who end up getting severe COVID are 65 years or older. The CDC says that more than 4,100 individuals have been hospitalized or died with COVID in the U.S. as of June 21, despite being fully vaccinated. There were 3,907 hospitalizations and 750 deaths in people who were two weeks or more out from the final dose of their COVID vaccine. The CDC's data shows that 76 percent of these severe breakthrough cases were in individuals 65 years or older.
Yeah bro and in a small study of people that died in the UK from the Delta mutation, more vaccinated people died than unvaccinated. Clown world.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 248, 249, 250 ... 316, 317, 318  Next
Page 249 of 318
Jump to: