Worldwide Coronavirus Thread (US death toll passes 1 Million - that's right, 1 Million dead)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89 ... 316, 317, 318  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject:

So much blood on Trump's hands. Worst President ever.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
So much blood on Trump's hands. Worst President ever.

He takes no responsibility.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Losing an average of close to 1000 people in the USA the past couple of days...curve isn't flattening at all.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Listening to MSNBC the United States is the only country whose curve isn't flattening. Trumps not listening to his advisers. Trump's killing us.

No, a virus released to the world by the Chinese is killing people. We know what we have to do to attempt to protect ourselves, we need to do it. Where those measures have failed is where they weren’t followed.

Yes, we know that to do and I know we're not doing it. Trump is the one who has the authority to put the country on lock down. That's what is causing the curve to flatten in other countries. His advisers are asking him to do that and he's not doing it. Listen to him, he's the problem, he's still downplaying the seriousness of the virus. He's not a leader, he's a idiot. He's touting voluntary use of a face mask. He's saying he's not going to do it. He says cloth makes will do the job. Damn VLF what does he have to do to make you see him for what he is and what he's doing?

I'm working on a invention that will allow me to reach into my TV, extract a person and do away with him.

I would never defend Trump (nor vote for him). It doesn’t matter who is President or who is in Congress, COVID would be here and people would get sick and some die. The only place this could have been stopped was in that lab in China. We are both in California and Newsome reacted quickly and correctly and compared to other States we are in better shape. Governors like Cuomo and DeSantis didn’t and their States are suffering.

Speaking of Newsome I was not a fan but have been impressed with him during this crisis. I wouldn’t hesitate to vote for another term. My value of government is great at the local level, less value at the State level and even less at the Federal level. Kind of how our Founders framed the Constitution. Part of why I don’t want any part of Trump or Congress guiding us through this.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Losing an average of close to 1000 people in the USA the past couple of days...curve isn't flattening at all.

No one has the expectations now that the curves are flattening as some states are doing better than others --

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

My state CA seems to be tracking per the IHME models ... NY and Louisana are another story ...

NY spatial density, tourism and Cuomo's late quarantine start has contributed unfortunately to their high rate of infections and deaths.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Listening to MSNBC the United States is the only country whose curve isn't flattening. Trumps not listening to his advisers. Trump's killing us.

No, a virus released to the world by the Chinese is killing people. We know what we have to do to attempt to protect ourselves, we need to do it. Where those measures have failed is where they weren’t followed.

Yes, we know that to do and I know we're not doing it. Trump is the one who has the authority to put the country on lock down. That's what is causing the curve to flatten in other countries. His advisers are asking him to do that and he's not doing it. Listen to him, he's the problem, he's still downplaying the seriousness of the virus. He's not a leader, he's a idiot. He's touting voluntary use of a face mask. He's saying he's not going to do it. He says cloth makes will do the job. Damn VLF what does he have to do to make you see him for what he is and what he's doing?

I'm working on a invention that will allow me to reach into my TV, extract a person and do away with him.

I would never defend Trump (nor vote for him). It doesn’t matter who is President or who is in Congress, COVID would be here and people would get sick and some die. The only place this could have been stopped was in that lab in China. We are both in California and Newsome reacted quickly and correctly and compared to other States we are in better shape. Governors like Cuomo and DeSantis didn’t and their States are suffering.

Speaking of Newsome I was not a fan but have been impressed with him during this crisis. I wouldn’t hesitate to vote for another term. My value of government is great at the local level, less value at the State level and even less at the Federal level. Kind of how our Founders framed the Constitution. Part of why I don’t want any part of Trump or Congress guiding us through this.

Totally agree -- I have disagreed on Newsom on many fronts but his early quarantine when it wasn't popular at the time bought us valuable time. In fact, I wrote him a small thank you the other day for his foresight. If you haven't heard it already -- hear the Gavin interview Jake Tapper did a couple of days ago. Tapper tried his best to trap Gavin in blaming others for the infection and he was having none of it.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

There are about 20 things the current administration did in the last two years that hindered their ability to quickly respond to a pandemic. They wasted 2-3 months where they could have prevented the extreme escalation we are now facing. If you want to know more, I have posted dozens for articles going over the particulars in the politics thread. The virus came to the US and S. Korea at the same time. They were able to flatten the curve because they immediately reacted. Our administration didn't. It's math and science and geometric progression. It's not political.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

What president do you think would undermine CDC recommendations? Trump said it was only a CDC recommendation to wear masks and he wouldn't follow the recommendation. That's poor leadership. I'll ask you, do you think he should have ask citizens to follow CDC recommendations instead of saying he wouldn't wear a mask? . Why do you think our curb is not flattening? Putting Kushner in charge of distribution who has no experience for such a important position. Trump is a big part of the problem? People are dying because he doesn't know what he's doing. I don't understand why you don't see it.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

What president do you think would undermine CDC recommendations? Trump said it was only a CDC recommendation to wear masks and he wouldn't follow the recommendation. That's poor leadership. I'll ask you, do you think he should have ask citizens to follow CDC recommendations instead of saying he wouldn't? . Why do you think our curb is not flattening? Putting Kushner in charge of distribution who has no experience of such a important position. Trump is a big part of the problem? People are dying because he doesn't know what he's doing. I don't understand why you don't see it.

C'mon. Give the poor man some credit: We went from voluntary usage of masks, to Trump approved voluntary usage of masks.

(Here, Trump is not going to listen to his own policy. I wish this would become a trend for him and his flock)
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

What president do you think would undermine CDC recommendations? Trump said it was only a CDC recommendation to wear masks and he wouldn't follow the recommendation. That's poor leadership. I'll ask you, do you think he should have ask citizens to follow CDC recommendations instead of saying he wouldn't? . Why do you think our curb is not flattening? Putting Kushner in charge of distribution who has no experience of such a important position. Trump is a big part of the problem? People are dying because he doesn't know what he's doing. I don't understand why you don't see it.

C'mon. Give the poor man some credit: We went from voluntary usage of masks, to Trump approved voluntary usage of masks.

(Here, Trump is not going to listen to his own policy. I wish this would become a trend for him and his flock)

I think I'm reading a wish for the worse in the small print.

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Totally agree -- I have disagreed on Newsom on many fronts but his early quarantine when it wasn't popular at the time bought us valuable time. In fact, I wrote him a small thank you the other day for his foresight. If you haven't heard it already -- hear the Gavin interview Jake Tapper did a couple of days ago. Tapper tried his best to trap Gavin in blaming others for the infection and he was having none of it.

Even some of my friends that were his harshest critics at the time are begrudgingly admitting that he's done good work during this crisis.

On an unrelated note...could you guys imagine where we'd be if Gobert never tested positive? The chain of events that sparked was huge. The NBA immediately suspended the following season and the rest of hte leagues followed suit SFtook measures soon after and Newsome followed suit and the avalanche ensued. . In a roundabout way, Gobert did the world a solid.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I would never defend Trump (nor vote for him). It doesn’t matter who is President or who is in Congress, COVID would be here and people would get sick and some die.

This is huge fallacy and of course it defends Trump because it deflects from the undeniable culpability he has for his gross mishandling of the pandemic in this country. He's certainly not responsible for how China handled the initial outbreak, but he is irrefutably responsible for how he handled it in regards to this nation. Sure, once the pandemic started, it was inevitably to reach here and people would be affected and people would die. It's the extent of the virus's effect that he is responsible for. As you yourself point out, leaders like Newsome had assertive responses which have helped to battle the spread of the virus. So, for you to shrug your shoulders and say "it doesn't matter who the President is" contradicts yourself completely. It clearly does matter who is at the helm and the nation is worse for the fact that it is Trump.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Yes, part of the reason that I haven’t wasted my time on any of his daily campaign infomercials.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
I would never defend Trump (nor vote for him). It doesn’t matter who is President or who is in Congress, COVID would be here and people would get sick and some die.

This is huge fallacy and of course it defends Trump because it deflects from the undeniable culpability he has for his gross mishandling of the pandemic in this country. He's certainly not responsible for how China handled the initial outbreak, but he is irrefutably responsible for how he handled it in regards to this nation. Sure, once the pandemic started, it was inevitably to reach here and people would be affected and people would die. It's the extent of the virus's effect that he is responsible for. As you yourself point out, leaders like Newsome had assertive responses which have helped to battle the spread of the virus. So, for you to shrug your shoulders and say "it doesn't matter who the President is" contradicts yourself completely. It clearly does matter who is at the helm and the nation is worse for the fact that it is Trump.

No contradiction as I posted, I don’t look to the Federal government to solve local problems. It is beyond sad what is going on in NY but that shouldn’t affect what we do in CA. Their Governor misread things, ours didn’t. What Trump rattles on about didn’t change that.

Didn’t you go to UCSB? I just watched a report that the residents of Montecito have set up a personally financed fund to help out the minimum wage workers, most in the dining industry. It is the 93108 program, set up for the same reason after the mudslide. Local>State>Federal. I apologize if I have you mixed up with another poster.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

No contradiction as I posted, I don’t look to the Federal government to solve local problems. It is beyond sad what is going on in NY but that shouldn’t affect what we do in CA. Their Governor misread things, ours didn’t. What Trump rattles on about didn’t change that.

Didn’t you go to UCSB? I just watched a report that the residents of Montecito have set up a personally financed fund to help out the minimum wage workers, most in the dining industry. It is the 93108 program, set up for the same reason after the mudslide. Local>State>Federal. I apologize if I have you mixed up with another poster.

That's pretty incredible. I wish Newport Beach would do the same but I know my clientele and I'm 100% confident that they'd do no such thing.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Capt Crozier disembarking the Roosevelt. I said in his place I'd heave a sigh of relief. He's moving to a safer environment.

He's being replaced by his exec until his permanent replacement arrives.

He got one hellofa sendoff.

'Captain Crozier! Captain Crozier!': Videos show sailors sending off ousted USS Roosevelt commander with cheers

LINK

Quote:
Capt. Daniel Keeler, the ship’s executive officer, will serve as acting commander until Capt. Carlos Sardiello, from whom Crozier had assumed command of the aircraft carrier in November, arrives in Guam to take the helm again, Modly said.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

No, you have it right, I am a Gaucho. It's great to hear that the greater SB community has rallied to support their local community. One of the things I loved about living there was that very sense of pride in the community.

But back to the point. There is definitely a contradiction in what you posted. Regardless of how you feel about the relationship and level of responsibility between federal, state and local government, it doesn't change the fact there is leadership at each level and that leadership is critical. You can't commend Newsome (and rightly so BTW) for his handling of the pandemic while saying it doesn't matter who is in charge in the White House. . Especially when you compare Newsome's great handling of the situation versus other governors who didn't respond as well.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Are you implying this virus was created in a lab? I may have misinterpreted.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject:

This is a brilliant thread piecing together the Trump Administration/Coronavirus timeline from inauguration to present. Here's a link to the original Twitter thread with pictures, video and links to all the related articles: link

Quote:
Thread: A Timeline Showing Trump’s Disastrous Handling of the Coronavirus Pandemic

This thread shows clearly and definitively that Trump knew a pandemic was coming, knew the US was unprepared for it, and left the US helpless to contain or combat the virus.

January 11, 2017

“Anthony S. Fauci, MD, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said there is ‘no doubt’ Donald J. Trump will be confronted with a surprise infectious disease outbreak during his presidency.”

Fauci: ‘No doubt’ Trump will face surprise infectious disease outbreak
Anthony S. Fauci, MD, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said there is “no doubt” Donald J. Trump will be confronted with a surprise infectious disease…
https://www.healio.com/infectious-disease/emerging-diseases/news/online/%7B85a3f9c0-ed0a-4be8-9ca2-8854b2be7d13%7D/fauci-no-doubt-trump-will-face-surprise-infectious-disease-outbreak

January 13, 2017

Outgoing members of the Obama Administration walked Trump’s team through their pandemic playbook. Rather than following the playbook, the Trump Administration would wing it, fail miserably, and blame Obama.

Before Trump’s inauguration, a warning: ‘The worst influenza pandemic since 1918’
In a tabletop exercise days before an untested new president took power, officials briefed the incoming administration on a scenario remarkably like the one he faces now.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/16/trump-inauguration-warning-scenario-pandemic-132797

February 1, 2018

Trump’s CDC announced plans to cut its efforts to fight global pandemics by 80%, scaling back operations in the world’s hot spots for emerging infectious disease, including removing personnel from China.

washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-h…

February 13, 2018

The US Intelligence Community released its annual intelligence assessment identifying coronaviruses as “having pandemic potential if they were to acquire efficient human-to-human transmissibility.”

dni.gov/files/document…

May 2018

Trump’s National Security Advisor, John Bolton, guts the NSC’s pandemic unit and fires the NSC’s pandemic expert leaving the position vacant and never filling it.

Sudden Departure Of White House Global Health Security Head Has Experts Worried
Rear Adm. Tim Ziemer is among the departures since John Bolton became head of the National Security Council.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tim-ziemer-global-health-security-leaves_n_5af37dfbe4b0859d11d02290

August 2018

Trump is warned that his tariffs on Chinese goods will lead to a shortage in medical equipment due to most such equipment coming from China. Trump ignored the warning and imposed the tariffs, creating the exact shortage he was warned of.

Trump's trade policy is hampering the US fight against COVID-19
An alarming unintended consequence of President Donald Trump’s misguided trade war with China has suddenly threatened to cripple the US fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.
https://www.piie.com/blogs/trade-and-investment-policy-watch/trumps-trade-policy-hampering-us-fight-against-covid-19

January-August, 2019

The Trump Administration ran a pandemic simulation called Crimson Contagion, resulting in a report concluding that the Administration was woefully unprepared for a pandemic, including being short on PPE. Nothing was done to fix it.
Before Virus Outbreak, a Cascade of Warnings Went Unheeded
Government exercises, including one last year, made clear that the U.S. was not ready for a pandemic like the coronavirus. But little was done.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/us/politics/trump-coronavirus-outbreak.html

July 2019

Trump eliminated a key American public health position in Beijing intended to help detect disease outbreaks in China, leaving the US without an observer on the ground in the most likely spot in the world to spark a global pandemic.
Exclusive: U.S. axed CDC expert job in China months before virus outbreak
Several months before the coronavirus pandemic began, the Trump administration eliminated a key American public health position in Beijing intended to help detect disease outbreaks in China, Reuters …
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-china-cdc-exclusiv-idUSKBN21910S

October 2019

Trump shut down the US Agency for International Development’s “PREDICT” project to track and research potential pandemic diseases, a move widely panned as making the world more vulnerable to a pandemic.
A crucial federal program tracking dangerous diseases is shutting down
Predict, a pandemic preparedness program, thrived under Bush and Obama. Now it’s canceled.
https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019/10/29/20936921/usaid-predict-pandemic-preparedness

January-February 2020

Trump received intelligence briefings throughout January and February warning that coronavirus was likely to result in a global pandemic, but maintained publicly that the pandemic was completely contained.

washingtonpost.com/national-secur…

January 11, 2020

China published coronavirus genome allowing tests to be developed. While South Korea was able to roll out widespread testing in early February 2020, Trump’s CDC would be unable to produce a reliable test until late March.
Chinese researchers reveal draft genome of virus implicated in Wuhan pneumonia outbreak
Scientists praise decision to make date public; U.S. group sets out to produce live virus from the sequence
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/01/chinese-researchers-reveal-draft-genome-virus-implicated-wuhan-pneumonia-outbreak

January-February 2020

Trump’s CDC declined to copy the WHO coronavirus test and created its own faulty test, leaving the US without testing until late March and losing the chance of containment. Trump’s FDA also hampered private test development efforts.

The Lost Month: How a Failure to Test Blinded the U.S. to Covid-19
Aggressive screening might have helped contain the coronavirus in the United States. But technical flaws, regulatory hurdles and lapses in leadership let it spread undetected for weeks.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/us/testing-coronavirus-pandemic.html

January 22, 2020

Trump told a reporter he was not concerned about the coronavirus becoming a pandemic and said it was completely under control.
CNBC TRANSCRIPT: PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP SITS DOWN WITH CNBC'S JOE KERNEN AT THE WORLD ECONOMIC FORUM IN DAVOS, SWITZERLAND
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/01/22/cnbc-transcript-president-donald-trump-sits-down-with-cnbcs-joe-kernen-at-the-world-economic-forum-in-davos-switzerland.html#click=https://t.co/v40HWQ5iSu
January 22-March 10, 2020

Trump repeatedly downplayed the seriousness of the global pandemic in public statements, conditioning the US population not to take it seriously. To this day, large swaths of the public believe social distancing is unnecessary.

January 2020

Without wearing PPE, Trump’s HHS employees entered a hangar where coronavirus evacuees were being received at an Air Force base in California, and then moved freely on and off the base, likely sparking the spread of the virus in California.
U.S. Health Workers Responding to Coronavirus Lacked Training and Protective Gear, Whistle-Blower Says
Team members were not properly trained, lacked necessary gear and moved freely around and off military bases where Americans were quarantined, a complaint says.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/us/politics/coronavirus-us-whistleblower.html

January 31, 2020

Trump banned foreign nationals who had been to China from entering the US, but allowed US citizens to travel daily to and from China resulting in hundreds of people entering the US from China each day with no screening or testing.
Donald Trump never actually banned flights from China or Europe. Why?
On Saturday, Italy announced that 793 people had died that day from COVID-19, the coronavirus that originated in China that has rapidly spread across the world. That was up from 627 deaths that had o…
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/mar/22/trump-never-actually-banned-flights-from-china-or-/

February 5, 2020

Trump overrode the CDC and ordered that 14 passengers infected with the coronavirus be flown home in a plane full of uninfected people. washingtonpost.com/health/coronav…
February 5, 2020

Trump received a request from HHS Secretary Azar for $2 billion to buy respirator masks and other supplies for the national stockpile, but Trump supplied only 25% of the requested funds.
washingtonpost.com/national/healt…

February 7, 2020

While downplaying the seriousness of the pandemic and knowing the US’s strategic reserves were insufficient to combat a global pandemic, Trump facilitated the transportation of 17.8 tons of privately donated medical equipment to China.
The United States Announces Assistance To Combat the Novel Coronavirus - United States Department of State
The U.S. is prepared to spend up to $100 million in existing funds to assist China and other impacted countries to contain and combat the novel coronavirus.
https://www.state.gov/the-united-states-announces-assistance-to-combat-the-novel-coronavirus/

February 24, 2020

Trump attempted to manipulate the stock market stating that it is “starting to look very good,” despite later claiming to know at the time of his statement that the world faced a serious pandemic that would surely destroy the US economy.
markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/tr…

February 26, 2020

Despite being an antivaxxer and knowing that it would take over a year to develop a vaccine, Trump claimed the coronavirus was “a little like the regular flu...and we’ll essentially have a flu shot for this, in a fairly quick manner.”
Remarks by President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in Press Conference | The White House
James S. Brady Press Briefing Room February 26, 2020 6:37 P.M. EST THE PRESIDENT: Thank you very much, everybody. Thank you very much. Before I begin, I’d like to extend my deepest condolences to t…
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-vice-president-pence-members-coronavirus-task-force-press-conference/

February 28, 2020

Due to CDC and other agency pronouncements undermining Trump’s attempts to downplay the seriousness of the virus, Trump muzzled all federal agencies by requiring Pence to approve all coronavirus communications before dissemination.
Pence's office placed in charge of coronavirus messaging
Vice President Mike Pence's office is in charge of all novel coronavirus messaging after several aides blamed negative coverage about the response on too many mixed messages from senior members of th…
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/02/27/politics/pence-messaging-coronavirus/index.html#click=https://t.co/qLAcRnM5IG

March 4, 2020

Trump’s HHS admitted the US only had 1% of face masks needed for “full-blown” coronavirus pandemic.
HHS clarifies US has about 1% of face masks needed for 'full-blown' coronavirus pandemic
The Strategic National Stockpile currently holds approximately 12 million medical-grade N95 masks and 30 million surgical face masks.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/04/hhs-clarifies-us-has-about-1percent-of-face-masks-needed-for-full-blown-pandemic.html

March 7-8, 2020

Trump took a golf trip to Palm Beach and Mar-a-Lago, knowing that coronavirus was continuing to spread unchecked in the United States.
Trump in Palm Beach: Quiet day, festive night, then barbed tweets just before midnight
On Saturday night in Palm Beach, President Donald Trump talked about his administration’s handling of the coronavirus outbreak. Then he took aim at Joe Biden and the Democrats.
https://www.palmbeachdailynews.com/news/20200307/trump-in-palm-beach-quiet-day-festive-night-then-barbed-tweets-just-before-midnight

March 2020

Trump’s refusal to implement the Defense Production Act and coordinate procurement of medical equipment for states forced them to bid against each other, creating delays and price gouging that hampered attempts to contain and combat the virus.
States Are Being Forced Into Bidding Wars To Get Medical Equipment To Combat Coronavirus
Bidding wars for medical supplies are leaving states under equipped to tackle the Coronavirus COVID-19.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/claryestes/2020/03/28/states-have-are-being-forced-into-bidding-wars-to-get-medical-equipment-to-combat-coronavirus/

March 18, 2020

Trump finally signed executive order on the Defense Production Act to address massive shortages in PPE and ventilators across the US. Trump would spend the next 9 days saying he wouldn’t invoke the DPA and would only use it as “leverage.”
Executive Order on Prioritizing and Allocating Health and Medical Resources to Respond to the Spread of Covid-19 | The White House
By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including the Defense Production Act of 1950, as amended (50 U.S.C. 4501 et seq.) (the “Ac…
https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/executive-order-prioritizing-allocating-health-medical-resources-respond-spread-covid-19/

March 20, 2020

Trump promoted unproven drug treatments as if they were miracle cures.
Trump, promoting unproven drug treatments, insults NBC reporter at coronavirus briefing
NBC News' Peter Alexander asked Trump to respond to Americans who are scared by the pandemic, which triggered the president to reply with an insult.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1165031#click=https://t.co/Fr36MLUNMX

March 21, 2020

Despite having known about the pandemic for months and having already sent 17.8 tons of strategic pandemic reserves to China, Trump launched an orchestrated campaign to accuse China of covering up the global pandemic.
thedailybeast.com/white-house-pu…

March 24, 2020

Trump threatened to withhold federal funding from states that were critical of his handling of the pandemic.

March 24-25, 2020

Trump floated the idea of terminating all social distancing and allowing the coronavirus to ravage the country.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
The LameStream Media is the dominant force in trying to get me to keep our Country closed as long as possible in the hope that it will be detrimental to my election success. The real people want to get back to work ASAP. We will be stronger than ever before!

4:04 PM - Mar 25, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
138K people are talking about this

March 26, 2020

Trump Claimed U.S. States Don't Need the Amount of Ventilators They're Asking for: “I Don't Believe You Need 40,000 or 30,000”
Trump claims U.S. states don't need the amount of ventilators they're asking for: "I don't believe you need 40,000 or 30,000"
"You know, at a major hospital sometimes they'll have two ventilators," Trump said. "All of a sudden they're saying, 'Can we order 30,000 ventilators?'"
https://www.newsweek.com/trump-claims-us-states-dont-need-amount-ventilators-theyre-asking-i-dont-believe-you-need-1494599

March 28, 2020

Trump sent California 170 broken ventilators.
California governor: 170 ventilators sent from Trump administration were 'not working'
California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) said Saturday that 170 ventilators shipped by the federal government to help his state respond to the outbreak of the novel coronavirus were "not working" when they a…
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/490033-newsom-170-ventilators-sent-from-federal-government-arrived-not-working

March 28, 2020

Trump said he had a slush fund of $500 billion that he can dole out to himself and to corporations, and that he can simply ignore the limits placed by Congress on how he can spend the money.
Trump undercuts oversight for coronavirus bailouts with controversial signing statement
Trump says he has the power to block provision of stimulus that informs Congress where the corporate bailouts go
https://www.salon.com/2020/03/28/trump-undercuts-oversight-for-coronavirus-bailouts-with-controversial-signing-statement_partner/

March 29, 2020

Trump accuses hospitals of hoarding ventilators and accuses health care professionals of stealing PPE.
Trump accuses hospitals of hoarding ventilators and implies face masks are being stolen
President Trump claimed some hospitals are hoarding stashes of ventilators and insinuated that staff may be stealing face masks amid the coronavirus pandemic.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/trump-accuses-hospitals-of-hoarding-ventilators-and-implies-face-masks-are-being-stolen?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=msn_feed

March 30, 2020

Rural state governors inform Trump they still lack tests and medical supplies. Trump tells governors he has not heard about test shortages “in weeks,” despite non-stop press coverage of the lack of coronavirus tests in the US.
Rural-state governors tell Trump they need tests and medical supplies, too
The epicenter of the outbreak in the U.S. is in New York and other urban areas, and they're getting the bulk of the equipment.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rural-state-governors-tell-trump-they-need-tests-and-medical-supplies-too/

March 2020

Medical supply manufacturers say they cannot figure out how to prioritize the supply of medical equipment among the states. Trump steadfastly refuses to intervene and nationalize the medical supply chain, leading to inefficiency and shortages.

Manufacturers Seek U.S. Help in Deciding Where to Ship Scarce Medical Goods
Producers and distributors of medical supplies across the country are raising red flags about what they say is a lack of guidance from the federal government about where to send their products.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/manufacturers-seek-u-s-help-in-deciding-where-to-ship-scarce-medical-goods-11585474201

March 31, 2020

FEMA announced it “has not actively encouraged or discouraged U.S. companies from exporting [PPE] overseas,” with 280M masks purchased by foreign buyers from US companies in a single day on March 30, despite desperate shortages in the US.

Pence task force freezes coronavirus aid amid backlash
The review came after officials discovered that aid to foreign countries wasn't being coordinated with U.S. requests.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/31/pence-task-force-coronavirus-aid-157806

March 31, 2020

Trump’s US Agency for International Development is finally stopped from providing PPE to foreign countries after Trump’s coronavirus task force realizes it will look bad when the public finds out what it has been doing.
Pence task force freezes coronavirus aid amid backlash
The review came after officials discovered that aid to foreign countries wasn't being coordinated with U.S. requests.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/31/pence-task-force-coronavirus-aid-157806

April 1, 2020

After Trump depleted our strategic stockpile of PPE by *donating* tons of it to China and other countries around the world, Trump announces he had a call with Putin where he agreed to *purchase* PPE from Russia.

U.S. Purchase of Needed Supplies from Russia - United States Department of State
The United States is committed to the global fight against COVID-19. We are a generous and reliable contributor to crisis response and humanitarian action across the world, but we cannot do it alone…
https://www.state.gov/u-s-purchase-of-needed-supplies-from-russia/

April 1, 2020

Trump Administration admits that the national stockpile of PPE is almost completely empty.

washingtonpost.com/national/coron…

April 1, 2020

Thousands of ventilators in the US stockpile found to be broken after Trump Administration allowed the maintenance contract for the ventilators to expire in 2019.

A Ventilator Stockpile, With One Hitch: Thousands Do Not Work
While President Trump has assured states that thousands of ventilators remain at the ready, thousands more are in storage, unmaintained or otherwise unusable.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/us/politics/coronavirus-ventilato
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

There's an internet rumor (since debunked) that the virus was engineered as a bio-weapon by the Chinese.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
akk7 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

There's an internet rumor (since debunked) that the virus was engineered as a bio-weapon by the Chinese.

It was "engineered" inside of a pangolin.

Also, wtf?! Don't eat pangolins! They're sweetheart little animals.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Masks help with bacteria, not 100% with a virus. The biggest benefit is to stop you from touching your face but I noticed that I have to adjust mine throughout the day and end up touching my face regardless.
Masks in general are a big money maker today. The business behind the politics is dirtier than touching your face.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
My value of government is great at the local level, less value at the State level and even less at the Federal level. Kind of how our Founders framed the Constitution. Part of why I don’t want any part of Trump or Congress guiding us through this.

This is actually a scenario where you need top down guidance more than normal. That was actually a hurdle we faced when this pandemic hit. Trump dragged his feet on using the Defense Production Act. Which is where the federal government pays companies to produce things the public needs (masks, gloves, ventilators). Apparently Trump talked to some free-market loving CEO's and they hated the idea (Trump's words not mine). That act should've been used the day Trump declared COVID a national crisis. Chuck Schumer begged Trump to. Finally he did, weeks later than necessary.

Another issue for why you want top down leadership early is because states were competing for masks, gloves, ventilators. So price went up. Availability went down. And there was no federal guidance to fix the problem until weeks later.

Last edited by kikanga on Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

No, though I have read a few Doctors theorize that it was due to it not mutating. It I’m a rock guy, that is out of my field. It has been reported that the lab was experimenting with virus and horseshoe bats and that exposure was from eating that bat. We will probably never know because the Chinese doesn’t want anyone to know.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Taiwan and South Korea are very different countries from the U.S., but the coordinated, early aggressive intervention from federal authorities up to the leadership of Tsai and Moon, respectively, helped save thousands, if not tens of thousands of lives in those countries.

An outbreak in the US would always be more difficult to navigate than in those two countries due to larger population, larger geographic size, federal v. state bureaucracy, lack of experience with SARS, weaker social safety net, etc., but Donald Trump's "leadership" has been wrong, late, and self-interested, which will cost thoysands, if not tens of thousands of American lives that needn't have been lost. And that's not also accounting for the long-term physical damage for thousands and thousands of Americans who survive, and the pain to millions upon millions of Americans that the oncoming recession will bring.

To be honest, the economic fallout will be the worst aspect vis-a-vis Trump's presidency, because McConnell will greenlight stimulus spending if backed by Trump that no Democratic president would get from him in a similar situation. Trump has a narrow window to actually "outflank the Democrats from the left" with a populist respobse to the crisis and McConnell more focused on electoral victory than deficits, but he's too incompetent to even seize the moment (thankfully).

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89 ... 316, 317, 318  Next
Page 88 of 318
Jump to: