Worldwide Coronavirus Thread (US death toll passes 1 Million - that's right, 1 Million dead)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 214, 215, 216 ... 316, 317, 318  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Yes, I told him about the Lakers, and he smiled. He had difficulties speaking, so all he could say was "Yes" or "No" and "I know" in Bosnian. Most of his muscles are weak, including the ones used for speaking.

He will get a little stronger each day.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Yes, I told him about the Lakers, and he smiled. He had difficulties speaking, so all he could say was "Yes" and "No" and "I know" in Bosnian. Most of his muscles are weak, including the ones used for speaking.

You tell him we have no more need for him to lay around and be a statistic to hurt Trump’s greatness.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
My dad had his first sip of water and spoke his first words in a month.

Keep letting us know those milestones!
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Yes, I told him about the Lakers. . . .

Probably too soon to tell him about that last game.

With your good news, and that other thing that went on today, there sure has been some good news lately.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Got vaccinated this afternoon. My daughter won't get vaccinated. We're in an ongoing family text. Her uncles, aunts, cousins, all relatives are on her case since I put in the family text for them to talk to her. Relatives from NJ to Calif, North and South are flooding the text. Hope they get through to her. She inherited my hard ass head.

What was her rationale?

The usual stupidity. It's no worse than the flu. I've never had the flu and never taken a flu shot yada yada yada. She's a grown woman. I can't make her do anything anymore. It's disheartening and frustrating. She's being bombarded by family. I don't think they'll change her mind. She has too much of me in her dammit! 🤬

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Wilt, Glade to hear your father's update. Hang in there. It's going to get better. I'll keep sending them up. 🙏🏾

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Got vaccinated this afternoon. My daughter won't get vaccinated. We're in an ongoing family text. Her uncles, aunts, cousins, all relatives are on her case since I put in the family text for them to talk to her. Relatives from NJ to Calif, North and South are flooding the text. Hope they get through to her. She inherited my hard ass head.

What was her rationale?

The usual stupidity. It's no worse than the flu. I've never had the flu and never taken a flu shot yada yada yada. She's a grown woman. I can't make her do anything anymore. It's disheartening and frustrating. She's being bombarded by family. I don't think they'll change her mind. She has too much of me in her dammit! 🤬

Ask her when has the flu killed a half a million Americans (where we'll be in no time) in a year? Tell her, that if she wants to give you something for your birthday, to get two vaccinations instead of a couple hundred birthday cake candles.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Wilt, your dad is a stud! What a hopeful day.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
The usual stupidity. It's no worse than the flu.

More people died from COVID last week than died in the entire 2019-20 flu season. Hospitals are overwhelmed. The case fatality rate is 3%. It's WAY worse than the flu.

Quote:
I've never had the flu and never taken a flu shot yada yada yada.

She should. It's not just for her own protection. Even if she doesn't get symptomatic herself, or has mild symptoms, she can still spread it to others, and do so before she even knows she has it. Those others might not be so lucky. And if enough people get vaccinated, the virus fizzles out and dies rather than spreading uncontrollably -- this is the concept of "herd immunity." It's not just about her. The above is true for both the flu vaccine and the COVID vaccine.

Quote:
She's a grown woman. I can't make her do anything anymore.

True. No one can MAKE her get the vaccine. No one can MAKE her wear a mask. No one can MAKE her stop at red lights. No one can MAKE her drive sober. No one can MAKE her stop playing Russian roulette with her .38. But at some point it stops being about what other people can or can't MAKE her do, and her doing the right thing because it's the right thing to do, and because we all benefit from these individual, personal choices. The bottom line is that her not vaccinating isn't just a personal decision, because she can asymptomatically transmit it to others, and those people can die.

It's one thing to assert your rights. But to prioritize those rights over any consequences you cause to others isn't the mark of a "grown woman." We have a word for people who act like that: adolescent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject:

Quote:
BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell CNN's @mj_lee that @POTUS Joe Biden is inheriting a non-existent vaccination plan from the Trump administration. A source says that Biden's team is essentially starting from "square one" because there simply was no plan to the greatest crisis in U.S.

https://twitter.com/javimorgado/status/1352197268024266752?s=19
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
jodeke wrote:
The usual stupidity. It's no worse than the flu.

More people died from COVID last week than died in the entire 2019-20 flu season. Hospitals are overwhelmed. The case fatality rate is 3%. It's WAY worse than the flu.

Quote:
I've never had the flu and never taken a flu shot yada yada yada.

She should. It's not just for her own protection. Even if she doesn't get symptomatic herself, or has mild symptoms, she can still spread it to others, and do so before she even knows she has it. Those others might not be so lucky. And if enough people get vaccinated, the virus fizzles out and dies rather than spreading uncontrollably -- this is the concept of "herd immunity." It's not just about her. The above is true for both the flu vaccine and the COVID vaccine.

Quote:
She's a grown woman. I can't make her do anything anymore.

True. No one can MAKE her get the vaccine. No one can MAKE her wear a mask. No one can MAKE her stop at red lights. No one can MAKE her drive sober. No one can MAKE her stop playing Russian roulette with her .38. But at some point it stops being about what other people can or can't MAKE her do, and her doing the right thing because it's the right thing to do, and because we all benefit from these individual, personal choices. The bottom line is that her not vaccinating isn't just a personal decision, because she can asymptomatically transmit it to others, and those people can die.

It's one thing to assert your rights. But to prioritize those rights over any consequences you cause to others isn't the mark of a "grown woman." We have a word for people who act like that: adolescent.

All you mention is true. I'm frustrated but haven't given up. My niece is of the same school of thought. Our family is on both of them. Hopefully, we'll be able to get through to them. If we keep hammering maybe we can wear them down.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

What was her rationale?

Ask her when has the flu killed a half a million Americans (where we'll be in no time) in a year? Tell her, that if she wants to give you something for your birthday, to get two vaccinations instead of a couple hundred birthday cake candles.

I've tried just about everything. I'm on the guilt trip now. How her selfishness may hurt not only her but family and friends.

cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

What was her rationale?

I've tried just about everything. I'm on the guilt trip now. How her selfishness may hurt not only her but family and friends.

Stop trying to change her mind. This crisis has divided enough families and nations.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

What was her rationale?

Stop trying to change her mind. This crisis has divided enough families and nations.

The crisis had killed 400,000 Americans. Why wouldn't a parent want to protect their child from being the next victim?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

What was her rationale?

Really? If going outside would cause you to vaporize, would you worry about dividing families when it came to keeping your child from going outside? What if it caused someone else, like you to vaporize? Still cavalier? That’s the point. Nimrods think some stupid oppositional (bleep) opinion in the face of fact and death is somehow supposed to be respected because they’re family or friends. How about they respect your life before you worry about their feelings.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

What was her rationale?

As a parent, I won't stop trying to change her mind. Nothing has and I don't think will divide our family. If you'd seen some of our family squabs you'd say WOW, y'all still talking?

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject:

"Your house is on fire."

"Stop being divisive."

"Maybe you should call the fire department."

"Stop telling me what to do!"

"The fire is spreading. You should get everyone out!"

"Stop interfering with my family. Mind your own business."

"I'm dialing 911."

"Why are you turning this into a crisis?"
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Duhmerican Freedumb
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Anything oppositional, including guilt trips and even refuting incorrect facts, tends not to work all that well. The natural reaction is to dig in your heels.

Try starting with finding common ground. Basic stuff like, "we want what's best for each other, right?" "We'd care if the other one died, right?" Then once you've established some baseline agreement and are starting from a standpoint of what you agree on rather than what you don't agree on, move it slowly to the vaccines.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Did shutting down outdoor dining contribute to California's COVID-19 surge?

Quote:
Despite the ban, California has had one of the worst winter COVID-19 surges in the country, which begs the following question: Is it possible that shutting down outdoor dining made the state's surge even worse?

Dr. Monica Gandhi, an infectious disease expert at UCSF, believes it's highly likely.

"We won’t be able to know the exact percentage it drove, but I would say closing outdoor dining certainly did not help and likely hindered efforts to avoid a surge," she said. "It shut down in early December, and things did not get better from there; things actually got worse. Restrictions should be about understanding the human condition and keeping places that are safe open. Those of us who argue for a harm reduction approach have the same goal as the lockdownists: We want to reduce transmission, but we understand the human condition and the need to be with people."

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Quote:
Despite the ban, California has had one of the worst winter COVID-19 surges in the country, which begs the following question: Is it possible that shutting down outdoor dining made the state's surge even worse?

Dr. Monica Gandhi, an infectious disease expert at UCSF, believes it's highly likely.

"We won’t be able to know the exact percentage it drove, but I would say closing outdoor dining certainly did not help and likely hindered efforts to avoid a surge," she said. "It shut down in early December, and things did not get better from there; things actually got worse. Restrictions should be about understanding the human condition and keeping places that are safe open. Those of us who argue for a harm reduction approach have the same goal as the lockdownists: We want to reduce transmission, but we understand the human condition and the need to be with people."

There's no doubt that the complete shutdown on restaurants forced behavior that was more dangerous. I know for a fact that there were establishments that once their outdoor dining was shut down, they went into clandestine mode and did indoor dining while appearing to be "closed". Others found ways to appear like they weren't doing outdoor dining, but allowed patrons to linger while "waiting for their 'to go'" orders, but still being served alcohol and appetizers. And then there's obviously all the people that just held indoor private events because they couldn't go out.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Anything oppositional, including guilt trips and even refuting incorrect facts, tends not to work all that well. The natural reaction is to dig in your heels.

Try starting with finding common ground. Basic stuff like, "we want what's best for each other, right?" "We'd care if the other one died, right?" Then once you've established some baseline agreement and are starting from a standpoint of what you agree on rather than what you don't agree on, move it slowly to the vaccines.

Thanks for the advice LC. I'll give that approach a try.

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject:

More good news!

My dad was able to sit on a chair and move his arms and legs a little. He requires less oxygen each day. He even was able to communicate with the doctors and nurses in English. They feared that he wouldn't know what's going on, but he knows he has COVID and that he has been in the hospital for a month.

They are already thinking about a possible transfer to a different facility for rehab, including speech therapy.

The doctors are astounded by the progress, all of which happened in the last four days.

This is not the end of the process, as there will be setbacks. But my tough dad was on the ventilator for a whole month and somehow got off it.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
More good news!

My dad was able to sit on a chair and move his arms and legs a little. He requires less oxygen each day. He even was able to communicate with the doctors and nurses in English. They feared that he wouldn't know what's going on, but he knows he has COVID and that he has been in the hospital for a month.

They are already thinking about a possible transfer to a different facility for rehab, including speech therapy.

The doctors are astounded by the progress, all of which happened in the last four days.

This is not the end of the process, as there will be setbacks. But my tough dad was on the ventilator for a whole months and somehow got off it.

DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Quote:

All the places around me that were doing outdoor dining went ahead and continued to do outdoor dining. I didn't see a single difference in our area of OC.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 214, 215, 216 ... 316, 317, 318  Next
Page 215 of 318
Jump to: