Petition to Change NBA Logo to Kobe; NBA Won't Do It (Update Pg. 3)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Change the name of the Championship Trophy from Larry Obrien.

That would be awesome. It was changed in 1984 already. He was the commissioner for 10 years. The Kobe Bryant Championship Trophy.
KB824MJ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Wished this would have happened. I mean this stuff doesn't happen much in the NBA. I just can't believe it had to happen to the 9 people on that helicopter. It's so sad and it just pains me as I grew up watching Kobe Bean Bryant. And, I was wondering how Gianna Bryant would do in the WNBA cause she seemed to have that same mamba mentality.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
kikanga wrote:
The excuses for not even trying to change the logo all seem pretty lame.

Yeah but what is the reason to change it right now?

Changing the logo has been discussed prior to Kobe's death. Changing it to Kobe specifically is new. And considering what he's done for the NBA, what he meant to generations of players and fans worldwide, and he literally died heading to a camp he was running to help create the next generation of WNBA players. Just seems appropriate.

Saying it would be too tough to even try seems so lame. Especially since that's the polar opposite attitude of what Kobe stood for.

And all the arguments against it could pretty much be used to explain why no other team in the league should retire his jersey numbers. Or why they shouldn't change an award to his name. Or why during the all star game the players shouldn't wear 8 and 24.

Those aren’t the same things just as changing the name of the sport to Kobesketball isn’t the same or eliminating trading the rest of this season isn’t the season.

A logo is a manifestation of a brand. If the league is going to rebrand, then sure, change it along with the rest of the brand.

I just don’t this major or foundational things such be done in times of tragedy.

You also have a significant section of a political spectrum to be concerned with.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
kikanga wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Changing the logo has been discussed prior to Kobe's death. Changing it to Kobe specifically is new. And considering what he's done for the NBA, what he meant to generations of players and fans worldwide, and he literally died heading to a camp he was running to help create the next generation of WNBA players. Just seems appropriate.

Saying it would be too tough to even try seems so lame. Especially since that's the polar opposite attitude of what Kobe stood for.

And all the arguments against it could pretty much be used to explain why no other team in the league should retire his jersey numbers. Or why they shouldn't change an award to his name. Or why during the all star game the players shouldn't wear 8 and 24.

Those aren’t the same things just as changing the name of the sport to Kobesketball isn’t the same or eliminating trading the rest of this season isn’t the season.

A logo is a manifestation of a brand. If the league is going to rebrand, then sure, change it along with the rest of the brand.

I just don’t this major or foundational things such be done in times of tragedy.

You also have a significant section of a political spectrum to be concerned with.

Rebranding is such a vague distinction when it comes to the NBA. You could argue the league has already been rebranded several times since West was made the logo.

I don't think tragedy should restrict change. I'm having trouble following the logic behind that. Are you saying the league at a later date would somehow regret making the only MVP to spend literally 1/2 his life in the NBA the logo?

And what are you talking about politically?
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject:

All the successful companies in the world has changed their logos, apple, Microsoft, Starbucks, google, just to name a few.
Not changing the logo because of financial reasons is lame and shortsighted. Changing logo to Kobe may bring even more profit to NBA because how popular was.
Please don’t argue with me on this, it is all personal opinion. I am 1 of the 2.85 million who signed that petition
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The logo is to identify the NBA, not any particular player. I’m not sure why this is even an issue, Kobe was one of the greats in the NBA but he wasn’t the NBA.

Neither was West.

And the logo isn’t abut West, he was just a photo that the artist used. It is the NBA symbol.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The logo is to identify the NBA, not any particular player. I’m not sure why this is even an issue, Kobe was one of the greats in the NBA but he wasn’t the NBA.

Neither was West.

And the logo isn’t abut West, he was just a photo that the artist used. It is the NBA symbol.

So just do the same exact thing with Kobe that they did with West's photo.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
All the successful companies in the world has changed their logos, apple, Microsoft, Starbucks, google, just to name a few.
Not changing the logo because of financial reasons is lame and shortsighted. Changing logo to Kobe may bring even more profit to NBA because how popular was.
Please don’t argue with me on this, it is all personal opinion. I am 1 of the 2.85 million who signed that petition

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Neither was West.

The point is the nba doesnt want the logo associated with one specific player. That happened to West by accident and they don't want to repeat it. For that reason they rejected the idea of revising the logo with jordan years ago. So I doubt they'll change it but who knows.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Neither was West.

The point is the nba doesnt want the logo associated with one specific player. That happened to West by accident and they don't want to repeat it. For that reason they rejected the idea of revising the logo with jordan years ago. So I doubt they'll change it but who knows.

Not making it a player because it's already a player... What a strange bit of logic that would be to use. Especially considering the current logo (West) strongly wishes they'd change the logo and remove his likeness from it.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Neither was West.

Not making it a player because it's already a player... What a strange bit of logic that would be to use. Especially considering the current logo (West) strongly wishes they'd change the logo and remove his likeness from it.

I guess I'm not explaining it well. The guy who did the original graphic just grabbed a photo to create a silhouette and it happened to be West.

He and the NBA never intended anyone to know it was West's photo, and the NBA wasn't happy when people figured that out. So that was simply a mistake. If they had it to do over again they would have altered the silhouette so you didn't know it was West. They don't want to repeat that mistake.

So if they ever change the logo, they will likely just make it a silhouette of an unrecognizable guy playing basketball, which is what they intended in the first place.

T
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Neither was West.

I guess I'm not explaining it well. The guy who did the original graphic just grabbed a photo to create a silhouette and it happened to be West.

He and the NBA never intended anyone to know it was West's photo, and the NBA wasn't happy when people figured that out. So that was simply a mistake. If they had it to do over again they would have altered the silhouette so you didn't know it was West. They don't want to repeat that mistake.

So if they ever change the logo, they will likely just make it a silhouette of an unrecognizable guy playing basketball, which is what they intended in the first place.

T

No I understand that, but the fact is they used West for the logo. So not to continue that forward by using Kobe seems strange. You can't erase the fact that it currently is West. You can't change the fact West wants it changed from his likeness. With him considering Kobe to be like a son, seems like a perfect way to turn the logo over to the modern era, while paying tribute to a legend taken way too soon.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Money wise, makes sense.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:12 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Money wise, makes sense.

Unless his likeness is given for free. Then you have millions wanting merchandise with Kobe's logo on it.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:14 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Money wise, makes sense.

You might get some short-term bump in merchandise sales, but I think the amount would be negligible in the context of a logo that you plan to keep for decades and decades and decades
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Neither was West.

T

No I understand that, but the fact is they used West for the logo. So not to continue that forward by using Kobe seems strange. You can't erase the fact that it currently is West. You can't change the fact West wants it changed from his likeness. With him considering Kobe to be like a son, seems like a perfect way to turn the logo over to the modern era, while paying tribute to a legend taken way too soon.

Well, the NBA doesn't really want their logo to be a memorial to one specific player, and I can't blame them for that. Anyways, the NBA has an endless number of ways to honor Kobe, I just don't think putting him on the logo will be one that they will choose
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:21 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Money wise, makes sense.

You might get some short-term bump in merchandise sales, but I think the amount would be negligible in the context of a logo that you plan to keep for decades and decades and decades

I think short term bump would be an understatement. And when it comes to money, a short bump is better than no bump.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Neither was West.

T

Well, the NBA doesn't really want their logo to be a memorial to one specific player, and I can't blame them for that. Anyways, the NBA has an endless number of ways to honor Kobe, I just don't think putting him on the logo will be one that they will choose

But it already is honoring one specific player, West. And West wants it changed from his likeness. So why not honor West's wishes, while also keeping tradition of it being a player?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:27 pm    Post subject:

^
We're going around in circles. The logo isn't honoring West. If you don't understand that, I don't think there's anything more I can say on the topic.

Anyways, I completely understand that you would like the logo to be a Kobe to honor him. And that's cool
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
^
We're going around in circles. The logo isn't honoring West. If you don't understand that, I don't think there's anything more I can say on the topic.

Anyways, I completely understand that you would like the logo to be a Kobe to honor him. And that's cool

I more so don't understand the logic behind being against it. It's too late for not wanting it to be a single player. It happend, the logo is West and it can't be undone. Given Kobe's relationship with West, and West wishing for the logo to be changed (even to another player) it just seems like a logical choice.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:45 pm    Post subject:

^
I think I understand your point of view. Even though the NBA never intended people to know the logo was a silhouette of Jerry West, you believe that the fact they figured that out creates precedence that any future NBA logo must have a recognizable player on it.

I don't think the NBA looks at it that way. Where you see a precedence that must be followed, they see a mistake that must not be repeated
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:48 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
^
I think I understand your point of view. Even though the NBA never intended people to know the logo was a silhouette of Jerry West, you believe that the fact they figured that out creates precedence that any future NBA logo must have a recognizable player on it.

I don't think the NBA looks at it that way. Where you see a precedence that must be followed, they see a mistake that must not be repeated

Yeah that pretty much sums it up. I don't think it has to be followed, but I think given the situation... It'd be an amazing time to do so. Do I expect it? Absolutely not. But with West really hating being the logo, it just seems like it'd be all upside to make Kobe the logo. If his likeness was released of course.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
kikanga wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Rebranding is such a vague distinction when it comes to the NBA. You could argue the league has already been rebranded several times since West was made the logo.

I don't think tragedy should restrict change. I'm having trouble following the logic behind that. Are you saying the league at a later date would somehow regret making the only MVP to spend literally 1/2 his life in the NBA the logo?

And what are you talking about politically?

Yeah I suppose you could argue that. But my point is that in the marketing world, you don’t change your logo unless you’re rebranding yourself. The logo being the manifestation of something else, like a personality shift or an overhaul in your business model.

I don’t think tragedy should restrict change necessarily either. But we have seen ideas such as eliminating trading this season as well as cancelling the rest of this season in honor. Should we do all ideas so as to not restrict change in a tragedy? The only things I think we should hold off on, as a general rule, are fundamental or broadly impacting changes during times of tragedy. There’s no reason something like this could be looked at in the offseason or at some other future date if and when it makes sense in the broader context of the business.

On your last point, I’m specifically referring to the wokesters. I know you know who they are!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
activeverb wrote:
^

Yeah that pretty much sums it up. I don't think it has to be followed, but I think given the situation... It'd be an amazing time to do so. Do I expect it? Absolutely not. But with West really hating being the logo, it just seems like it'd be all upside to make Kobe the logo. If his likeness was released of course.

I think it'd be a terrible time to do it myself. If you're a organization, you don't change a forty-year-old logo that you intend to keep for another 40 years based on the immediate emotional reaction to a tradegy while people are still in shock.

Millions of people would have signed a petition to put Magic on the logo after he announced he had HIV. Millions would have supported the idea of putting MJ on the logo when he announced his retirement. And on and on and on.

Getting millions of people to support an idea like this, at an emotional moment, is pretty easy to do.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject:

They're not changing anything for Kobe... they may create a new award but that's it. And neither should they. Let's get real.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: