Silver Lining: The world is rooting for the Los Angeles Lakers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Silver Lining: The world is rooting for the Los Angeles Lakers

Perhaps “silver lining” is not the right term. But I just wanted to highlight that for every lakers game, even on road games, I think the crowd will cheer on the Lakers in a fashion that no sports team has ever witnessed before.

I expect the lakers to get a lot of love at every game until the end of the season. I expect FAs like Iggy or Collison will be inspired to help LeBron carry Kobe’s legacy into the future.

I expect NBA fans all around the world will embrace what Doc said: we are all Lakers fans today.

I expect the Lakers to win the 2020 Championship, exactly 10 years since our last title, exactly 24 years since #24 entered the league.

SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject:

There is a fervent hate and love for the Lakers in other states.. I'm thinking that dynamic will remain as is in spite of Kobe's passing.

I do agree that it might possibly sway FA's to give us a stronger consideration.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject:

24 years since Kobe entered the league. Dam didn’t even know and yes that be dope for sure.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject:

It would be the best sport story, but I don’t think any team will just hand the trophy to the lakers.
The whole world is rooting for Kobe,
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
It would be the best sport story, but I don’t think any team will just hand the trophy to the lakers.
The whole world is rooting for Kobe,

True the Lakers have to have the mamba mentality. They have to earn it.

At the same time if Memphis wants to stop being so stubborn and just buyout Iggys contract, that would be a kind gesture to start
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject:

The Yankees lost to the Diamondbacks in the World Series after 9/11. The World Series MVP also cheated to make things worse. Real life isn’t a fairy tale.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
The Yankees lost to the Diamondbacks in the World Series after 9/11. The World Series MVP also cheated to make things worse. Real life isn’t a fairy tale.

Iirc didn’t the Giants win the SB that year though. And the Saints the year of Katrina?

It would be a great story. But as was mentioned the other cities have a deep dislike for the Lakers and after a few weeks that will resurface for more then you think despite the current Kobe love.

It doesnt take much. I live in Denver and listened to a lot of sports radio today. Every so often a caller or host would bring up Kobe’s court issues in Colorado. Not in detail but more of how are we celebrating a “flawed personality “ context. Just a few infrequent mumblings but still there.

Definitely troubling when the wound is so fresh but made me realize there are opposing views even during this time of universal condolences and emotion.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Iirc didn’t the Giants win the SB that year though. And the Saints the year of Katrina?

It would be a great story. But as was mentioned the other cities have a deep dislike for the Lakers and after a few weeks that will resurface for more then you think despite the current Kobe love.

It doesnt take much. I live in Denver and listened to a lot of sports radio today. Every so often a caller or host would bring up Kobe’s court issues in Colorado. Not in detail but more of how are we celebrating a “flawed personality “ context. Just a few infrequent mumblings but still there.

Definitely troubling when the wound is so fresh but made me realize there are opposing views even during this time of universal condolences and emotion.

Right. I don’t think anyone is going to lose on purpose and give us the chip, nor do we want that. I don’t think the fan base will cheer us either, but the rest of the world will be rooting for us. ie if we play Bucks, obviously Milwaukee will root for the bucks but anyone else watching the series will likely be rooting for LA. It’s the same reason why we (non New Yorkers) were rooting for the Yankees in 2001
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:25 pm    Post subject:

Even if OP is right. I'm not ready to hear it. I know it's not an option. I know it's not how silver linings work. But I'd trade all the Laker hate in the world x10 to get Kobe and Gigi back.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:54 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Even if OP is right. I'm not ready to hear it. I know it's not an option. I know it's not how silver linings work. But I'd trade all the Laker hate in the world x10 to get Kobe and Gigi back.

I’d rather re-live the last 7 crappy seasons of the NBA and stay the laughing stock of the NBA forever than to have the helicopter go down.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:12 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I’d rather re-live the last 7 crappy seasons of the NBA and stay the laughing stock of the NBA forever than to have the helicopter go down.

Very well said. A lot of people are hurt right now. Kobe is more than just basketball. I am in so much pain as I type this. It feels like losing a part of the family. I became a lawyer because of him. But it hurts...
cganesh75
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject:

Thats not what Kobe would have wanted anyway. No freebies. We have to earn it. We can earn it by playing better, playing for each other, playing for Kobe.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject:

cganesh75 wrote:
Thats not what Kobe would have wanted anyway. No freebies. We have to earn it. We can earn it by playing better, playing for each other, playing for Kobe.

This.

Also, the hate is part of the Lakers DNA. If everyone likes you, chances are you aren’t winning.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject:

There is no silver lining. This was a terrible event.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject:

I don't like the idea of associating this tragedy with winning. The Lakers are still not favored to even come out of the West, and to correlate success with honoring Kobe is just setting everyone up for disappointment.

Let playing, and honoring Kobe, be two separate things.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject:

Agree, Kobe is Kobe and this season is this season. The two aren’t related. Fans of other teams might sympathize with losing Kobe but they will still want to beat the current Laker team.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject:

We shall see, but I don't think Kobe's passing will have much effect on how opposing fans react to the Lakers.
aFFie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
There is no silver lining. This was a terrible event.

this
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject:

There was already a HUGE following this year, even more than usual I think. Every road arena I can think of has had home Laker crowds, even for the lesser stars like Kuzma (KUUUUUUUZZZZ!) and the routine mvp chants for Caruso.

I have seen a lot of fans of other teams on social media saying they want the Lakers to win this for Kobe. I wouldn’t consider it a silver lining, however. No part of this tragedy is good for anyone. But the Lakers org clearly isn’t alone in all of this.
Team of the 80's
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject:

There is no silver lining for anyone right now. I could care less about sports. Kobe is freaking dead and so is Gigi and the other people on the chopper.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject:

It doesn't matter. I know I feel pretty indifferent if they win or lose. It is going to take a while for me to care about basketball again.

I am a 49ers fan and I'm not even into the superbowl at the moment and am not excited about it. Last week I was, now I don't care.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject:

I don't really care who roots for my Lakers
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject:

Team of the 80's wrote:
There is no silver lining for anyone right now. I could care less about sports. Kobe is freaking dead and so is Gigi and the other people on the chopper.

this ^
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Silver Lining: The world is rooting for the Los Angeles Lakers

BigBallerBrand wrote:
Perhaps “silver lining” is not the right term. But I just wanted to highlight that for every lakers game, even on road games, I think the crowd will cheer on the Lakers in a fashion that no sports team has ever witnessed before.

People are sympathetic right now. By the time the playoffs start in three months, this won't be such a raw thing for most people. They'll cheer when an image of Kobe goes on the big screen, and then they'll root for their team and against the Lakers.

My guess is the tragedy won't have much impact on how people react to the Lakers or what happens on the court, though it will be treated as a major storyline.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject:

No silver lining. This team could lose every single game left of the season and I wouldn't even care one bit
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: