Shout out to JW
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject: Shout out to JW

Another guy who isn't doing well right now is my main man The Logo.

He's manning up and giving interviews to discuss Kobe, and West was the guy who believed in Kobe and knew the Lakers had to land him right from the jump. But this is clearly very hard for him and I hope he will be able to step back a little bit after the funeral and take some time for himself. This is rough for everyone but for an 81-year old man it's just too much.

Love ya Jerry!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:01 am    Post subject:

He's breaking my heart after every interview.

Jerry West is a true Laker. He bleeds purple & gold.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

i'm not sure if a person can be loyal to a brand if he holds grudges with that brand's ownership for a long time. West is still bitter of how he left the Lakers, been pushed out by Phil Jackson with Jerry Buss' blessing. this thread is not to debate the history, i'm merely to state the fact, jerry west may say whatever in front of the camera, but deep down i don't think he's that loyal to the Lakers.

Last edited by SGV-Laker fan on Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject:

Jerry saved us from having Kobe on the Clips...a team he now consults for.

Kudos JW.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
danzag wrote:

i'm not sure if a person can be loyal to a brand if he holds grudges with that brand's ownership for a long time. West is still bitter of how he left the Lakers, been pushed out by Phil Jackson with Jerry West's blessing. this thread is not to debate the history, i'm merely to state the fact, jerry west may say whatever in front of the camera, but deep down i don't think he's that loyal to the Lakers.

I don’t want to derail this, but I think it should be pointed out that it was Jerry West who wanted to come back after Golden State contract was up and Jeanie (and maybe Magic from a who gets credit perspective) was the one who declined.

I think it’s pretty clear he loves the Lakers and he’s the type of man who lets bygones be bygones. It’s Jeanie who can’t get over the whole Phil thing imo.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
danzag wrote:

i'm not sure if a person can be loyal to a brand if he holds grudges with that brand's ownership for a long time. West is still bitter of how he left the Lakers, been pushed out by Phil Jackson with Jerry West's blessing. this thread is not to debate the history, i'm merely to state the fact, jerry west may say whatever in front of the camera, but deep down i don't think he's that loyal to the Lakers.

I don’t want to derail this, but I think it should be pointed out that it was Jerry West who wanted to come back after Golden State contract was up and Jeanie (and maybe Magic from a who gets credit perspective) was the one who declined.

I think it’s pretty clear he loves the Lakers and he’s the type of man who lets bygones be bygones. It’s Jeanie who can’t get over the whole Phil thing imo.

I hope Jerry West signs with the Lakers when he finishes the Clippers' contract. He is already very old, and it would be great if he retires as a Laker
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject:

His emotion is real, heartbreaking.

Love you Jerry.....
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject:

One Lakers family love JW

by the way, he looks sharp (physically and mentally), he needs to come home
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject:

How he feels/doesn’t feel about the Lakers is irrelevant. It’s clear he loves Kobe very much and the pain in his interviews is palpable. 💔
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject:

To see Laker greats like Elgin Baylor and Jerry West finish out their days on the Clippers, just breaks my heart.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject:

Jerry West was shown the door long ago because of Phil Jackson, who despite being the greatest coach ever, is a miserable executive. Jerry West is one of the greatest players ever and it's greatest executive.

Lakers could have brought Jerry West back recently as a consultant and foolishly declined.

Talking about his loyalty to the organization is absurd.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
Jerry West was shown the door long ago because of Phil Jackson, who despite being the greatest coach ever, is a miserable executive. Jerry West is one of the greatest players ever and it's greatest executive.

Lakers could have brought Jerry West back recently as a consultant and foolishly declined.

Was it Magic who didn't want him here?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:

Jerry wasn't shown the door, he left because he wasn't getting the money he felt he deserved and he felt he wasn't getting the respect he deserved.

Jerry Buss doggone near worshipped Jerry West and all but forced him to take over as GM in 1982.

FWIW, I rank West as the 3rd best GM:

1 - Red Auerbach - built dynasties in the 50s, 60s, 70s & 80s
2 - Bill Sharman - built Showtime
3 - Jerry West - constructing the 3-peat Lakers was masterful
4 - Jerry Krause - universally panned, but look at the guy's trade/FA record
5 - Gregg Popovich - milked every ounce out of Tim Duncan
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject:

I really wish Jeannie would be nice enough to contact JW and ask him for a role in the Lakers organization... she could do it and I bet West will say yes.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject:

agreed. Time to come home Jerry.

Magic is no longer there to fear you undermining him. Rob is a "young upstart" at running a team, i'm sure he's selfless enough to value your input.

i can't help but think Jeannie left the president of BB ops open because in her heart, she dreamed of Rob and Kobe running the Lakers at some point in the future.

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I really wish Jeannie would be nice enough to contact JW and ask him for a role in the Lakers organization... she could do it and I bet West will say yes.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
danzag wrote:

i'm not sure if a person can be loyal to a brand if he holds grudges with that brand's ownership for a long time. West is still bitter of how he left the Lakers, been pushed out by Phil Jackson with Jerry Buss' blessing. this thread is not to debate the history, i'm merely to state the fact, jerry west may say whatever in front of the camera, but deep down i don't think he's that loyal to the Lakers.

You can be loyal to a group but have issues with it's members. Anyone in large family can attest to that. It's not black and white.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Shout out to JW

CabinCreek44 wrote:
Another guy who isn't doing well right now is my main man The Logo.

He's manning up and giving interviews to discuss Kobe, and West was the guy who believed in Kobe and knew the Lakers had to land him right from the jump. But this is clearly very hard for him and I hope he will be able to step back a little bit after the funeral and take some time for himself. This is rough for everyone but for an 81-year old man it's just too much.

Love ya Jerry!

I think Jerry is doing these interviews as a form of therapy, the same way I post here on LG. It seems he does have a lot of people who are reaching out to him, so I'm glad he has some support. This isn't something he can get away from or bury himself in work to get through it. As he said, Kobe was like a son to him. Doing interviews will I think help him.

One thing I'm taking from this experience is to make an effort to heal an old petty squabble with someone I once considered a little brother. I hope Jeannie can find it in her to do the same with Jerry. Even if she doesn't re-hire him, just let go of the past and start over. JW will always be a Laker legend and the fans love him dearly. Just let go of the pettiness before it's too late.

We lost someone who I considered to be an immortal giant. It's made me look at my own life and how fragile it is.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject:

The kinds words of Charles Barkley to Jerry West at the end of their tribute to Kobe was one of the sweetest things I've seen.

You could see how touched Jerry was to hear those and props to Barkley for taking the time to let him know how he feels about him
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject:

I just don't want to see another Lakers great end his basketball life on the Clippers. Watching Elgin get killed year after year as the Clips GM was brutal.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
The kinds words of Charles Barkley to Jerry West at the end of their tribute to Kobe was one of the sweetest things I've seen.

You could see how touched Jerry was to hear those and props to Barkley for taking the time to let him know how he feels about him

I really loved that too. I'm trying to be more like Chuck in that regard but man can it be hard to do.
al.jr.320824
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Seeing Jerry speak about Kobe is beyond devastating. I wish I could give him a hug. He will always be a Laker to me no matter what.
Islandboy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject:

If Jeannie publically admitted that is was a mistake to NOT bring back Jerry a few years ago then I think Jerry makes a move back home.

Jeannie, time for some humility, admit the wrongs of the past and bring the Logo back home.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
danzag wrote:

Especially since he went to the Clippers after Jeanie blew him off. He is loyal to Ballmer now. No West, no Kobe as a Laker.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Wish him well.
Without him, no 5 more rings for Lakers.
He saved Lakers almost 3 more rings by persuading Kobe not to join Clippers.
Thank you, Sir.
My deepest prayer for your loss too.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Most of you guys know West's past and hard childhood. He is as mentally strong as anyone. Not suggesting this has not been hard on him, but even at 81 I think is capable of getting through the hardship.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: