Rockets are messing with my mind.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:56 am    Post subject: Rockets are messing with my mind.

You can say whatever you want about MDA but he sure as hell isnt conventional. He changed and revolutionized the game with that Suns team but hey that wasn't enough, he had more in mind.

So if I'm getting it right, the change with this Rockets team is that Capella didn't really work with Westbrook as well as he did with Paul because Westbrook doesn't shoot as well meaning, PR isnt as important as it was with Paul. What they want is to have the lane wide open for Westbrook to drive and they need 4 shooters on the floor at all times. That's all cool, except well their biggest guy is 6'5"

However here is where it gets crazy for me. Their defense. Their defense is now about giving up the post and defending the 3pt shot. They dont care if you score on them on the inside, in fact they will bait you to post up as long as you dont shoot or score 3's. Now that's where its just too wacky to be true. I can't imagine what will happen to the game of basketball if other teams start implementing this. They are essentially traiding 2's for 3's. They will and rightly so that if they hit 10 to 20 3's more than the other team that they will win.

It's insane but is it the next evolution of basketball? Sure hope not.
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:30 am    Post subject:

This is nothing new, he tried to instil this when he was with us, but we ran him out of town unfortunately
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:34 am    Post subject:

DP

Last edited by BigBoi on Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject:

We’ll see if they actually win something in the Playoffs this season, or fold like a deck of cards as usual.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Teams get up for the Lakers!

plain and simple

the day after they beat the Lakers, Westbrook rests and they get blown out by the Suns...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockets are messing with my mind.

LakersNewEra wrote:
You can say whatever you want about MDA but he sure as hell isnt conventional. He changed and revolutionized the game with that Suns team but hey that wasn't enough, he had more in mind.

So if I'm getting it right, the change with this Rockets team is that Capella didn't really work with Westbrook as well as he did with Paul because Westbrook doesn't shoot as well meaning, PR isnt as important as it was with Paul. What they want is to have the lane wide open for Westbrook to drive and they need 4 shooters on the floor at all times. That's all cool, except well their biggest guy is 6'5"

However here is where it gets crazy for me. Their defense. Their defense is now about giving up the post and defending the 3pt shot. They dont care if you score on them on the inside, in fact they will bait you to post up as long as you dont shoot or score 3's. Now that's where its just too wacky to be true. I can't imagine what will happen to the game of basketball if other teams start implementing this. They are essentially traiding 2's for 3's. They will and rightly so that if they hit 10 to 20 3's more than the other team that they will win.

It's insane but is it the next evolution of basketball? Sure hope not.

This was what the Warriors were doing when they won those championships. Lebron was going for easy 2's while the Warriors were going for 3's. They didn't need to make as many buckets to win. I remember Steve Kerr said he dedicated the championship to MDA because he was the architect of that type of basketball.

Last edited by lakersken80 on Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject:

BigBoi wrote:
This is nothing new, he tried to instil this when he was with us, but we ran him out of town unfortunately

The problem was we didn't have the team to implement that kind of strategy.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
BigBoi wrote:

That team ended the season 28-12. Pau was a shell of himself, Dwight wasn't the same after back surgery, and Nash/MWP were done. That team had a bunch of big name has-beens and wasn't anywhere near the superteam it was hyped to be.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject:

D'Antoni revolutionized the game but we fired him for Byron Scott and Luke Walton. Imagine if D'Antoni had coached/developed Russell, Randle, Ball, and Ingram.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject:

MDA definitely deserves credit for his offensive creativity and the changes that "his systems" brought to the NBA. I still think though that he is too much in his systems and doesn't adapt enough to the personnel he is given. Like Pau at the time. Vogel to me looks way better at being able to adapt to the roster he has and not just running his system.
MDA seems to be at bit too loose and unprofessional handling players, interviews, egos compared as well.

Russel and Ball would have been a blast to see with him coaching though. Actually Ball instead of Kuzma would be great to see with Vogel as well...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
BigBoi wrote:

That team ended the season 28-12. Pau was a shell of himself, Dwight wasn't the same after back surgery, and Nash/MWP were done. That team had a bunch of big name has-beens and wasn't anywhere near the superteam it was hyped to be.

The roster wasn't constructed for what MDA wanted to do. Pau and D12 (2013 version) were not the right players to play small ball. MDA could've worked during our rebuild because our roster fit the type of basketball he was trying to execute.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
D'Antoni revolutionized the game but we fired him for Byron Scott and Luke Walton. Imagine if D'Antoni had coached/developed Russell, Randle, Ball, and Ingram.

Who has he really developed though? You could say Amare and Capela but that wasn’t much. Had he developed the YUTED they would have had some very bad habits instilled early. But I suppose perhaps Russell would have had higher trade value early on when we let him go.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject:

I think their current roster construction makes them tougher to beat in the regular season and easier in a playoff series. They will be tough to prep for when you’re only playing them once and only have one day to scheme. They are so unique they will catch many teams off guard. During the playoffs, teams will figure out how to take advantage of their lack of size. Especially a team like the Lakers. They will end up giving up too many easy points in the paint and second chance points while being forced into taking contested jumpshots on the offensive end. We’ve seen the MDA gimmick in the playoffs many times. Maybe doubling down on it works but I think we’ll see more of what we’ve seen over the course of Dantonis career. Good regular season teams who’s weaknesses are amplified in the playoffs.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject:

You need to make them pay for their size. Using AD as your 5 and have him camp out on the perimeter like we did is throwing gasoline on their fire.

You need to be hitting 60%+ in the paint to counter their 40%+ from 3. Not trying to play the same game as Houston with your 7 footers.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

that's why this ownership is a joke. they only recognize big names. MDA was a big name so they hired him, Kobe, Gasol are big names, so they forced MDA's system to fit those two half-court players, which would never worked. i'm not saying get rid of Kobe and Gasol just because we hired MDA, far from that. what i'm saying is our front office/ownership doesn't know a thing about compatibility.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject:

His players have learned how to milk officials for all the calls in the world, too. They're like masters at that stuff. They will go from playing strong to flopping over, and its maddening because the rhythm isn't there.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject:

Robert Covington is a great addition for them and D'Antoni realized he can effectively use Westbrook as a de facto big man. It's one of the more brilliant in-season personnel adjustments I can think of. I still think it can be exploited by the Lakers (or even Denver) in a 7-game series, but it's tough to adjust to during the regular season.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Worry not, the rockets will come crashing down at some point...
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:18 am    Post subject:

Capela was just a final casualty of overpaying for Westbrook. The two didn’t fit together since they both can’t shoot. Look at Westbrook’s numbers without Capela, with the paint open. They are crazy good. I’m sure if Morey could’ve acquired a big that can stretch the floor then small ball wouldn’t be going on, but those players are hard to find and cost $$ (owner is cheap). So they pivoted. Not a favorite to win but definitely better pre trade since one stars game has been unlocked.

As far as height, all of the players in the rotation besides House and McLemore have very long reach/wingspans. Even Gordon and Westbrook for their sizes. So do Green and Carroll (if one gets in the rotation). Combine that with the thick bases that most of them have and post ups won’t be “as” easy as one would think. Still at a disadvantage, but they are posting up shorter players who are thick and can reach.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject:

If the Lakers don't win it this year I am rooting for Harden and Westbrick.
Pau Gasol's Beard
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:

I despise both players the most in the NBA. From Harden's flopping and Westbrook's temper tantrums to Morey's whining about the refs. If it ain't the Lakers I'm rooting for the Bucks.
ibij
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Houston got Jeff Green for remaining season
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:29 am    Post subject:

Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:
ksmgf wrote:

I despise both players the most in the NBA. From Harden's flopping and Westbrook's temper tantrums to Morey's whining about the refs. If it ain't the Lakers I'm rooting for the Bucks.

Utah. Not this stupid small ball Rockets (MDA should never be allowed success in the playoffs) or some eastern conference team...
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:15 am    Post subject:

OKC and CP3 just pass Rox in the playoff standing lol
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
OKC and CP3 just pass Rox in the playoff standing lol

I called before the season that I thought OKC was way better than most people thought and that they’d be competing for the playoffs, and that I wouldn’t be completely shocked if they were actually better than the Rockets. I thought I was an idiot after the season first started, but now I’m feeling like a genius.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: