anyone else losing interest in this team?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
My enthusiasm is down a bit, but not gone, and I'll be back.

Agreed, will be back full time for the playoffs for sure
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
I will admit to being slightly less excited, just because this is basically a team of mercenaries. I love LeBron, but no matter what he does he’ll always mean way more to Cleveland than LA. And with AD, who knows how long he’ll end up being here. None of the role guys have any kind of equity either — there’s no one like Fish or LO or Bynum who’s been around for a while other than maybe Kuz.

That said, I’ll be watching every game on the edge of my seat and screaming at the TV come playoff time.

You've echoed my sentiments. I have been pretty much a life-long Laker fan, approaching 25 years of support but this team just doesn't give me the natural joy that the other teams did. By nature, I am perhaps the type of fan that likes to see a team evolve from inception so I might be a bit different in that regard.

I have never really been a Lebron fan, I take solace in the fact that he chose to come here when many did not but its still hard for me to fully be in support of him. I've tried and its not as fun as I thought. To me, he will always be more Cavalier than Laker.

Don't get me wrong, if we win, I will be happy for the Lakers as a franchise. I don't really like our chances nor how we match up against teams with athletic wings. Like the OP said, AD has not been quite the player I thought he would be and it would be really painful to not win a chip after mortgaging our future.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject:

Kobe and GiGi's deaths have sapped my passion.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject:

I think we are all just waiting for the playoffs after a disappointing trade deadline.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject:

The Kobe tragedy has made it tough but I’m excited... it’s exciting that we are a title contender again after being so bad for the last 6 years...
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
I will admit to being slightly less excited, just because this is basically a team of mercenaries. I love LeBron, but no matter what he does he’ll always mean way more to Cleveland than LA. And with AD, who knows how long he’ll end up being here. None of the role guys have any kind of equity either — there’s no one like Fish or LO or Bynum who’s been around for a while other than maybe Kuz.

That said, I’ll be watching every game on the edge of my seat and screaming at the TV come playoff time.

You've echoed my sentiments. I have been pretty much a life-long Laker fan, approaching 25 years of support but this team just doesn't give me the natural joy that the other teams did. By nature, I am perhaps the type of fan that likes to see a team evolve from inception so I might be a bit different in that regard.

I have never really been a Lebron fan, I take solace in the fact that he chose to come here when many did not but its still hard for me to fully be in support of him. I've tried and its not as fun as I thought. To me, he will always be more Cavalier than Laker.

Don't get me wrong, if we win, I will be happy for the Lakers as a franchise. I don't really like our chances nor how we match up against teams with athletic wings. Like the OP said, AD has not been quite the player I thought he would be and it would be really painful to not win a chip after mortgaging our future.

Keep this group together for a few years and revisit this topic.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Burner Account wrote:
kikanga wrote:
C M B wrote:
Tony Almeida wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
GTL wrote:
I’ve lost interest in the NBA as a whole. That includes this team.

Ja Morant is a fun watch, maybe check out some Grizzly games. We could run into them 1st round of the playoffs.

I know this scenario was never really ever in play for us given that we ended up with the 4th pick in the last draft, but just imagine if instead we ended up getting the 2nd pick with the opportunity to draft Morant and seeing what he's putting out there now, would you guys have still made the trade while including our draft pick to get AD?

4 was a gift for sure as we projected 10-13.

But 4 was also a dud in a really a 2 man draft.

I do wonder if we got Zion (and Ja) whether we move it. I'd think we would for Ja but not Zion and take our chances getting AD as a FA (though we would have salary issues and have to move pieces for depressed prices).

I think they still move the pick for AD if it's #2, but we'd need to give away less future picks or maybe Josh Hart stays.

It it's #1, howver, they definitely don't move it. Zion is the new hype train, no owner is going to pass on that during his/her lifetime. Zion + LeBron would be the ultimate media thing. If we got him the probable path would've been keeping Lonzo and trading Ingram/Kuz (or both) for shooting in the backcourt. I also wonder wheter Kawhi or another one of those max players signs with us in this scenario? Probably not as well, but just food for thought, I love playing "what if" scenarios.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject:

If you’re less excited, maybe its because all most fans care about is rings and so everything else feels unimportant.

I’ve always been more of a journey guy myself and so for me, the excitement is tempered right now because they don’t seem to be gelling more or getting better at the moment.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
kikanga wrote:
C M B wrote:
Tony Almeida wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
GTL wrote:
I’ve lost interest in the NBA as a whole. That includes this team.

Ja Morant is a fun watch, maybe check out some Grizzly games. We could run into them 1st round of the playoffs.

Giannis is my guy right now. I hope he can find a way to get to the west coast after winning a couple in MIL so I can watch him play.

Who do you take in a game of one on one for your life? Pre-achilles Durant or Giannis?

Giannis is undoubtedly the best player in the world. He has a chance to win a chip pretty much on his own. Even Jordan had Pippen. Middleton/Bledsoe is no Pippen. I'm saying all this just to point out how high I am on Giannis.

But a little voice in my head keeps telling me. Part of Giannis's untouchable-ness is related to GS killing some of Durant's prime years by letting him play in the finals. Let's not forget, this was supposed to be Durant's time as greatest player on the planet.

Not saying Giannis still wouldn't have been better than pre-Achilles Durant. But MAYBE not. Maybe BRK is the best team in the East right now if the achilles injury doesn't happen. Maybe if GS wasn't so selfish. Durant makes Giannis look the same way Kobe made TMac look. All-time Special, but still not the best at the position at the time.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject:

I've seen all the LA championships and had multiple favorite players on each squad. I always search box scores to see my favorite player's stats. I impatiently anticipated the championship runs.

I have almost no emotional connection with this team of mercenaries. Lebron is a good player to have on my side but he's definitely seen better days and I already know what his max potential looks like in the box score. Even AD seems to have reached his peak at a time when the team needs more.

At the end of the day, Green, Cook, Daniels, Rondo, Dudley, Howard, and Bradley are never going to be someone whose departure I'd be upset about. I enjoyed what was home grown like Coop, Magic, Worthy, Byron, Eddie, Kobe, Fish, and even Bynum. Also long term quality transplants like Kareem, Wilkes, Horry, Odom, and Pau.

We were starting to head that direction before Magic impatiently rushed the process and decided we only need stars and the rest doesn't matter. Now it doesn't appear our stars can/will win it all, and I'm not emotionally invested in any non Lakers draft pick on the squad.

All that said, I try to watch the games, but if I miss it, it's not a big deal, unlike anytime in the past.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject:

It loses excitement because there are so many bad teams out there that they easily beat up yet they consistently struggle against good teams. It can make it hard to feel optimism about the playoffs that they have seemingly already clinched HCA throughout most of.

Against bad teams, this team has extended periods of looking unstoppable. Full court alley oops, 3 point shooting you only see in video games, dancing on the sidelines, long scoreless droughts by the opposition, and erasing 15-20 point deficits without breaking a sweat.

Against good teams, they look like a completely different team.
cencio_999
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
I've seen all the LA championships and had multiple favorite players on each squad. I always search box scores to see my favorite player's stats. I impatiently anticipated the championship runs.

I have almost no emotional connection with this team of mercenaries. Lebron is a good player to have on my side but he's definitely seen better days and I already know what his max potential looks like on the court. Even AD seems to have reached his peak at a time when the team needs more.

At the end of the day, Green, Cook, Daniels, Rondo, Dudley, Howard, and Bradley are never going to be someone whose departure I'd be upset about. I enjoyed what was home grown like Coop, Magic, Worthy, Byron, Eddie, Kobe, Fish, and even Bynum. Also long term quality transplants like Kareem, Wilkes, Horry, Odom, and Pau.

We were starting to head that direction before Magic impatiently rushed the process and decided we only need stars and the rest doesn't matter. Now it doesn't appear our stars can/will win it all, and I'm not emotionally invested in any non Lakers draft pick on the squad.

All that said, I try to watch the games, but if I miss it, it's not a big deal, unlike anytime in the past.

I can identify with, and not a team full of

I'm with you.

Consider I'm from Italy and basically I root lakers alone, as soccer is the real thing here.

What I'm saying is that when lakers win the title I don't go to the parade or to celebrate downtown.

So it really comes to be emotionally invested in players in order to feel real joy in winning.

I was invested with lakers players winning in the past, since the late showtime era.
I have been invested even with the former young core, especially Dlo, Julius and BI.

But I'm not invested with this team.
I haven't been since training camp, so it's not Kobe related.
I do hope thing will change when the playoff start
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Part of it is that there is no home grown talent on our team. These guys are all from other teams and we have no connection to them. That's why I am against trading Kuzma, because he's the only guy on the team that feels like a Laker. AD needs to sign a long-term contract before we can mentally invest in him.

The other part of it is that the our team is boring to watch. All lebron teams are boring IMO. That's why I'm hoping Zion can have a long career, because at least he's exiting to watch play.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Part of it is that there is no home grown talent on our team. These guys are all from other teams and we have no connection to them. That's why I am against trading Kuzma, because he's the only guy on the team that feels like a Laker. AD needs to sign a long-term contract before we can mentally invest in him.

The other part of it is that the our team is boring to watch. All lebron teams are boring IMO. That's why I'm hoping Zion can have a long career, because at least he's exiting to watch play.

ZION? so basically you're now a Pel's fan.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think we are all just waiting for the playoffs after a disappointing trade deadline.

Same.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Same.

Reality is — Most people need the ring winning to be the byproduct of something else. (And thats the way it should be).

People talk it tough online “all about da ringz!” or “all about winning”’ but it’s not. Kobe hated this mentality, fwiw.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Part of it is that there is no home grown talent on our team. These guys are all from other teams and we have no connection to them.

I can’t say that I have a greater connection to guys we drafted compared to guys we acquired through free agency or trades.

Think about the Lakers who played with other teams first: Wilt, Happy Hairston, Kareem, Wilkes, Shaq, Gasol, Horry, Ron Harper, Rick Fox, Lamar Odom.

I enjoyed all of them as much as the guys we drafted.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Also it's the first time we're going to the playoffs after what, 6 years? I'm definitely excited.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Same.

This!

Just start playoff basketball already. The regular season is just way too (bleep) long.

But it’s all about the cash grab, so if anything they’ll just add more games to the schedule or do that in-season tourney idea that’s been floated around by Silver.

Quote:
Most of the headline news for the NBA has not been flattering the past few months. Television ratings are down, with injured stars sidelined; business with China is in jeopardy over a tweet from Houston Rockets GM Daryl Morey; and in New York, the league’s biggest market, the Knicks are going through a seventh consecutive losing season while their owner feuds with fans. But our research shows the business of basketball is still red hot. NBA franchise values continue to soar, up 14% in the past year to an average of $2.12 billion. Compare that with an 11% annual increase for NFL teams and 8% in Major League Baseball, with average values of $2.86 billion and $1.78 billion, respectively. NBA values are up nearly sixfold over the past decade.

The NBA’s 30 teams generated a record $8.8 billion in revenue last season, up 10% over the previous year. It will be up again this season, with gate receipts projected to rise 8% overall. Revenue will also be helped by a new arena for Golden State and renovations to existing arenas in Boston, Cleveland, Philadelphia and Washington.

By our scorecard, the moribund New York Knicks grab the top spot ($4.6 billion) for the fifth straight year, up 15%, followed by the Los Angeles Lakers ($4.4 billion) and the Golden State Warriors ($4.3 billion). These three teams have by far the highest revenue in the NBA. Only the Dallas Cowboys ($5.5 billion) are worth more than the Knicks among North American sports franchises, with the New York Yankees ($4.6 billion) the only other team ahead of the Lakers and the Warriors.

“This season’s NBA ratings story is silly. It is a small sample size. This is a year-round league with year-round stories,” says sports media consultant Lee Berke of LHB Sports. “The next NBA media agreements will be a substantially evolved set of deals because of streaming. There will be an increasing range of media companies that want the NBA for the U.S. and worldwide.” The current $2.7 billion per year NBA deal with ESPN and TNT runs through the 2024-25 season, and Berke expects the next deal to roughly double in value.

– via Kurt Badenhausen @ Forbes.com
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject:

We were spoiled guys. We saw the '09-'10 Championship Lakers from near infancy.

We saw Kobe dropping 40, 50, 60 point games just cause it's a random Tuesday and he felt like it. To Kobe winning chips by any means necessary. We watched Kobe and Phil develop Ariza. We saw Odom struggle as the #2 guy and succeed as the #3 (George Karl still has nightmares thinking about the Lakers/Nuggets series). We saw Sasha's redemption song against the Celtics from getting burned in '08 to hitting clutch FTs cold coming off the bench in '10. Luke telling Phil to start Ariza over him. Pau and Metta tipping in series clinching Kobe game winners after struggling themselves. And Metta's game 7 shot.

The mid 2000s leading up to two chips at the end of the decade was like watching Band of Brothers. It's why I have my avatar. But nowadays it's modern warfare. We're trying to win a war with mercenaries. It would be weird if we had the same attachment.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
I always enjoy seeing the Lakers back to winning.

I think we have to be realistic at the same time, that we may not be good enough in the roster 3-12 to win it all.

And with the horrible tragedy that befell our organization, I think it puts life in perspective. It's a game, we are back to winning but we are not the best team on any given night.

But I love my Lakers, I'll enjoy the ride. Hopefully we finish 55-60 wins.

PASTOR RILEY
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject:

I lost hope, not because of the death of Kobe and the others, but because they are not going to win it all
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
We were spoiled guys. We saw the '09-'10 Championship Lakers from near infancy.

We saw Kobe dropping 40, 50, 60 point games just cause it's a random Tuesday and he felt like it. To Kobe winning chips by any means necessary. We watched Kobe and Phil develop Ariza. We saw Odom struggle as the #2 guy and succeed as the #3 (George Karl still has nightmares thinking about the Lakers/Nuggets series). We saw Sasha's redemption song against the Celtics from getting burned in '08 to hitting clutch FTs cold coming off the bench in '10. Luke telling Phil to start Ariza over him. Pau and Metta tipping in series clinching Kobe game winners after struggling themselves. And Metta's game 7 shot.

The mid 2000s leading up to two chips at the end of the decade was like watching Band of Brothers. It's why I have my avatar. But nowadays it's modern warfare. We're trying to win a war with mercenaries. It would be weird if we had the same attachment.

Some reason I thought 2004 felt much more mercenary than this team, which at least does show evidence of camaraderie whereas that team was a hot mess from training camp on, but in the end, I don't think it's good enough. We're the 3rd best team in the NBA, records notwithstanding. I will be surprised if we topple both LAC and MIL, but will watch the remainder. They've been slumping for awhile tho, and that began before Kobe's death, but I also understand how draining that must've been to most of them, especially Brawn. I felt sick the first day and dazed for a week. Didn't even want to talk about it. I think they've been looking forward to the ASB and they'll hopefully recommit to better effort on team D for the next month or so.

This part of the season is doldrums and monotony in a GOOD year, much less after what happened on the 26th -- and there's still the memorial which will take place after they return to play. Just hoping for no major injuries to one of the big 2 and that they've still got a level of play above what they've done thus far. I know the Clippers do. Fact that it was them that got postponed didn't help because a lot of us were waiting for their first win against LAC to be a barometer of what they might be as a playoff team.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject:

for me, yes

combination of Kobe's death + waiting for the playoffs as others have stated
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Same.

Reality is — Most people need the ring winning to be the byproduct of something else. (And thats the way it should be).

People talk it tough online “all about da ringz!” or “all about winning”’ but it’s not. Kobe hated this mentality, fwiw.

Not for me. The NVE/Nick/Cedric teams have a HUGE spot in my heart even though they were never really expected to go all the way. For me, attachment to the players plays a major part in how I enjoy games. Lebron is awesome and how he conducts himself these days is unassailable but the team still feels a bit mercenary. Maybe a deep playoff run will get me pumped again. Right now, the teams construction and more importantly, Kobe's passing has made caring about some random matchup in January difficult.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: