less Mcgee more Howard = more wins
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: less Mcgee more Howard = more wins

i had no idea why last couple weeks Howard wasn't getting the normal playing time he was supposed to get, especially toward end of games. McGee is as useless as they come beside the ability to jump high. Howard plays great man on man defense and can switch on to the perimeter when needed to.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject:

Dwight Howard and Alex Caruso are the most impactful players after Lebron and AD.

Winning basketball happens when those guys are on the floor.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Dwight Howard and Alex Caruso are the most impactful players after Lebron and AD.

Winning basketball happens when those guys are on the floor.

Agree 10000%
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject:

Gotta be a little careful with this. More Howard might mean more McGee.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject:

Love watching Howard and Caruso step up.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject:

Cousins will eventually take McGee's spot, D39 is our muscle
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject:

I don’t think that it really makes a difference
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject:

Any evidence?

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject:

diando wrote:
Any evidence?

Looks pretty clear to me. If people use any type of stat as evidence, others will spend all day nitpicking why every single stat mentioned is not appropriate or too simplistic.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject:

It's all about matchups and situations. Howard was the perfect call to matchup with Jokic. He wasn't the perfect call e.g. against Milwaukee when he was Hack-a-Howard'ed.
And yes it does make a difference on a situation-by-situation basis.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject:

I'm surprised why Howard wasn't a starter already. I guess Vogel has his own reasons. Just like how he has his reasons for playing Rondo. I've liked Howard ever since his name came up along with Noah as potential signing and never cared about his past with the Lakers. Only thing I don't like about his game is his FT shooting which could really become an issue in a tight game. Even shooting 50% from the line, he still contributes overall more to the team than McGee does. Just like the Kobe/Shaq era, we were able to weather the poor Shaq FT shooting. I believe we could do it again by being good enough that the missed FT should not impact the outcome of a game.

If it were up to me, I would have started him 5 games into the regular season. Aside from his athletic abilities, we're getting a rested Howard that didn't even play last season. That's why he has the energy of a 20 year old whenever he's on the floor.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
I'm surprised why Howard wasn't a starter already. I guess Vogel has his own reasons. Just like how he has his reasons for playing Rondo. I've liked Howard ever since his name came up along with Noah as potential signing and never cared about his past with the Lakers. Only thing I don't like about his game is his FT shooting which could really become an issue in a tight game. Even shooting 50% from the line, he still contributes overall more to the team than McGee does. Just like the Kobe/Shaq era, we were able to weather the poor Shaq FT shooting. I believe we could do it again by being good enough that the missed FT should not impact the outcome of a game.

If it were up to me, I would have started him 5 games into the regular season. Aside from his athletic abilities, we're getting a rested Howard that didn't even play last season. That's why he has the energy of a 20 year old whenever he's on the floor.

although i prefer Howard over McGee, but i'm perfectly fine with him coming off the bench. i love the energy he brings off the bench. when he becomes a starter, i don't know, maybe he would become complacent and loses that edge a bit.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject:

If we bring back Cousins next year I can see McGee getting traded this summer... It will be interesting to see how a front court of Howard/Cousins does.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject:

Less Rondo, more Caruso = more wins
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject:

As is, my playoff roster if Boog shows promise in his rehab down the stretch.

1) Bron
2) AD
3) Dwight
4) Green
5) Av
6) AC
7) Kcp
8) Kuz
9) McGee
10) Rondo
11) Cook
12) Boog

If we can bring in a worthy buyout candidate, Cook gets the cut. If you bring in a 2nd then you gotta now look at Boog, Rondo or even McGee to cut.

I understand the Rondo angst (not all of it, but some)...but outside Bron in perimeter playmaking, we have no one else other than Rondo who can do it consistently. So unless we bring in a legit option via the buyout market, you need to look elsewhere for players on the playoff bubble.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
If we bring back Cousins next year I can see McGee getting traded this summer... It will be interesting to see how a front court of Howard/Cousins does.

Actually, it will be interesting to see what happens with Howard next year.

Will he resign for the veteran's minimum or would be require the MLE or something? Will other teams be impressed by him and make offers?

I wouldn't pencil Dwight as a sure bet to return for the minimum.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject:

Howard can't play 48 minutes. I know it's frustrating, but McGee, Rondo, et al serve a crucial purpose: getting this team through 82 games without completely running down our top guys. It's like baseball. You give your top players a lot of work early, and a lot of work late, and you try not to use them during the dog days: so (bleep) relievers get a lot of use in June and July, while your 1.0 ERA ace reliever barely pitches. And then rotations tighten. Same is true in the NBA. If McGee and Rondo are getting big minutes in the playoffs, off with his head. But until then, I am okay with their minutes - we need to keep Howard fresh and not overuse Caruso (never been in the playoffs, never played this many minutes at this level).

(I am Jack's optimism.)
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject:

Been preaching this since the first week.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

although i prefer Howard over McGee, but i'm perfectly fine with him coming off the bench. i love the energy he brings off the bench. when he becomes a starter, i don't know, maybe he would become complacent and loses that edge a bit.

As long as he's getting like 30 minutes a game like he did against Denver, then I guess I'm perfectly fine with him coming off the bench.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject:

The thread is a trap.
Why? Because Dwight Howard already players more minutes than McGee.

OP are you saying McGee shouldn't play at all? Or do you want the disparity in MPG to grow even more?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Cyberfreak444
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject:

I think McGee should play less in the playoffs but it’s AD who should get the additional center minutes. This is no knock on Dwight who has been excellent. It’s just that using AD at the five maximizes his ability to roll to the hoop, as well as attack on the dribble against slower opponents. The Lakers are totally wasting one of the greatest roll men in the history of the NBA with his combination of elite athleticism, length, touch, and hands. When he’s at the four, he has no choice but to either post a smaller defender or stand at the three point line as a spacing threat. While he can do those things, it’s not maximizing his potential. This is even more true when he’s playing with LeBron, whose best position has been the four for the last decade. Teams can switch those pick and rolls between them when forwards are guarding both of them. They can’t as easily when LeBron gets to take on a center after the switch. With McGee or Dwight in there, there is no space for either LeBron to drive or Davis to roll.

The other thing is, AD is such a an incredible defender that he can check basically any traditional big as well as Dwight, but he can also switch to the perimeter against wings and even guards if needed. This is going to be especially important against playoff teams that have lots of outside shooting. As good as Dwight is, he has a tendency to sink into the paint, making him more vulnerable against stretch fives or guards/wings that can really shoot.

So with AD in at the five, and an actual competent non-Rondo lineup around him, the Lakers lose basically nothing defensively and if anything gain more versatility. And they approach another level altogether offensively. In games that matter against good opponents, AD needs to play at least 70 percent of his minutes at the center position.
Great One
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Gotta be a little careful with this. More Howard might mean more McGee.

This

Howard can be a foul magnet at times.....

Center rotation is perfect the way it is, focus on other positions
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject:

A couple of games ago I thought I saw Howard with a lot of tape on his shoulder, so he might not have been 100%
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject:

You guys just can't seem to accept that we are best when both Mcgee and Howard are playing well defensively. We need both in there combining for almost all the center minutes.

It's not green against kcp. We need both.
It's not Caruso against Bradley. We need both.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Unless AD is paired with a legit (good defensive) stretch 5 ..

Cyberfreak444 wrote:
I think McGee should play less in the playoffs but it’s AD who should get the additional center minutes. This is no knock on Dwight who has been excellent. It’s just that using AD at the five maximizes his ability to roll to the hoop, as well as attack on the dribble against slower opponents. The Lakers are totally wasting one of the greatest roll men in the history of the NBA with his combination of elite athleticism, length, touch, and hands. When he’s at the four, he has no choice but to either post a smaller defender or stand at the three point line as a spacing threat. While he can do those things, it’s not maximizing his potential. This is even more true when he’s playing with LeBron, whose best position has been the four for the last decade. Teams can switch those pick and rolls between them when forwards are guarding both of them. They can’t as easily when LeBron gets to take on a center after the switch. With McGee or Dwight in there, there is no space for either LeBron to drive or Davis to roll.

The other thing is, AD is such a an incredible defender that he can check basically any traditional big as well as Dwight, but he can also switch to the perimeter against wings and even guards if needed. This is going to be especially important against playoff teams that have lots of outside shooting. As good as Dwight is, he has a tendency to sink into the paint, making him more vulnerable against stretch fives or guards/wings that can really shoot.

So with AD in at the five, and an actual competent non-Rondo lineup around him, the Lakers lose basically nothing defensively and if anything gain more versatility. And they approach another level altogether offensively. In games that matter against good opponents, AD needs to play at least 70 percent of his minutes at the center position.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: