KG Reveals He Wanted to Team Up with Kobe
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: KG Reveals He Wanted to Team Up with Kobe

Quote:
“I’m just being honest with everybody, I wanted to link with Kob (Kobe Bryant),” Garnett said. “Kob’ and I had a different connect. When Kob’ and Shaq went on their little thing, a lot of people went with Shaq. I’m one of the very few that just stayed with him (Bryant).

https://www.essentiallysports.com/nba-kevin-garnett-reveals-the-time-when-he-wanted-to-team-up-with-kobe-bryant/
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject:

2007 Kobe + 2007 KG ... whoa...
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject:

What could have been...
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Instead

Celtic
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Always wondered what if KG woulda got here. But than again no way we don’t give up Odom or Bynum. Probably would have been both. With the Gasol trade it was big that we were able to keep the main pieces
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject:

dcastillo wrote:
Always wondered what if KG woulda got here. But than again no way we don’t give up Odom or Bynum. Probably would have been both. With the Gasol trade it was big that we were able to keep the main pieces

Who’d Boston give up? Gerald Green and some tic tacs?
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject:

He had an opportunity but that was during Kobe's Pluto episode and he publicly stated that he looked at our front office situation and thought he'd be leaving one bad situation for another. So he didn't push for it.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
dcastillo wrote:

Al Jefferson.

Lakers were willing to do Bynum + Odom.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject:

He got the antithesis of Kobe... walking off with torn achilles versus wheel-chaired off with minor sprain.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:32 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
He got the antithesis of Kobe... walking off with torn achilles versus wheel-chaired off with minor sprain.

Pierce literally crapped his shorts. He recently admitted he called for the wheelchair to hide his embarrassment.

The Timberwolves GM was Kevin McHale. This is the deal he made for KG:

Quote:
July 31, 2007: Traded Kevin Garnett to the Boston Celtics for Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Al Jefferson, Theo Ratliff, Sebastian Telfair, a 2009 1st round draft pick (Wayne Ellington was later selected) and a 2009 1st round draft pick (Jonny Flynn was later selected).

Gomes was a below average NBA starting forward.
    Green was an LG-projected HOF/real life career journeyman
    Al Jefferson was a solid NBA starting big.
    Theo Ratliffe was done. Well done. Fell through the grate and onto the hot coals done.
    Sebastian Telfair was a borderline NBA player
    Wayne Ellington has played on 9 teams in 10 seasons
    Jonny Flynn was a lottery pick bust.

The owner liked and trusted McHale, but McHale had shut down MIN-Laker trades his entire 13 year tenure running the T-Wolves (Gugliotta being the most famous, pre-KG) and he basically gifted the Celtics the 2008 ring through the KG trade and an earlier trade for Szczerbiak that gave them the pieces to move for Ray Allen.

McHale was ultimately fired at the end of the season after the KG trade.
x75274
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:44 am    Post subject:

Had this deal happened, it would have certainly led to some uncertainties.
1. Do we still get Pau? (Does Kupchak make the same initiative to find Pau even though in real life, it was Bynum's injury that motivated Kupchak to find the Pau deal. We almost certainly would have had the same trade pieces)
2. If we do get Pau (Gasol-Garnett frontcourt), chances are we beat Detroit in the finals. (Don't forget this was Chauncey Billups near his absolute peak regular season-wise but got injured against Orlando in the playoffs this year and was clearly not at his best)
3. 2009 would have been much harder as Garnett's knee injury was not a fluke incident but wear and tear. With no Garnett and Odom, can we still beat Orlando? I think yes because I think without Odom, we would have resigned Turiaf. The starting lineup would have been Fisher-Bryant-Ariza-Turiaf-Gasol. That lineup should be enough for Orlando although I am curious to see how Rashard Lewis would have done with that Laker lineup. Denver series would have been much tougher. Turiaf would need to play at least decently (aka. sticking his mid range jumpers) and without getting himself into foul trouble
4. 2010 is a wild card with no Boston to take out Cleveland. Had Cleveland made it to the finals, they had the pieces to beat us. With Lebron's mental state however, I think our 3 headed trio could have still beaten Cleveland. Orlando even with a 85-90% Garnett is not really a threat as Garnett always seemed to handle Lewis well.

In other words, had things broken exactly as they could have, the Garnett trade could have led to a 3 peat. If we do not make the subsequent Gasol deal however, there is a chance we could have come out with 0 titles with the Pistons being too tough for just Garnett inside, 2009 being Garnett's injury year and 2010 not having enough firepower with just Kobe and a 85-90% Garnett.
Artest4Three
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:47 am    Post subject:

Wooof
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:12 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
dcastillo wrote:

Trust me to deal with the Lakers, we would have to give up a lot more to make that deal happen
x75274
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Pierce literally crapped his shorts. He recently admitted he called for the wheelchair to hide his embarrassment.

Quote:
July 31, 2007: Traded Kevin Garnett to the Boston Celtics for Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Al Jefferson, Theo Ratliff, Sebastian Telfair, a 2009 1st round draft pick (Wayne Ellington was later selected) and a 2009 1st round draft pick (Jonny Flynn was later selected).

Theo Ratliffe was done. Well done. Fell through the grate and onto the hot coals done.

The owner liked and trusted McHale, but McHale had shut down MIN-Laker trades his entire 13 year tenure running the T-Wolves (Gugliotta being the most famous, pre-KG) and he basically gifted the Celtics the 2008 ring through the KG trade and an earlier trade for Szczerbiak that gave them the pieces to move for Ray Allen.

I remember that Gugliotta incident well....but knowing what we know now, it was a true blessing in disguise considering Googs future injury woes. Their excuse for not wanting Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell always seemed like bogus to me because yes Campbell had the bad 7 year 49 million contract but the one weakness the Timberwolves ALWAYS seemed to have was at center where they eventually had to spend to acquire Michael Olowokandi. For perspective, I think their BEST centers during this decade or so time period was Dean Garrett and Rasho Nesterovic. Hell the Hornets who acquired Campbell thought they got great value from him playing him at Center. No need to talk on Eddie Jones since anyone with eyes knew he was a top 20 player in the league at the time
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject:

Keep in mind that Gugliotta walked so they lost him for nothing.
McHale's public argument was that they didn't like/need the Laker pieces. Really he should have been fired for gross mis-management as the Laker pieces were assets that could've been parlayed into other assets.

x75274 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Quote:

I remember that Gugliotta incident well....but knowing what we know now, it was a true blessing in disguise considering Googs future injury woes. Their excuse for not wanting Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell always seemed like bogus to me because yes Campbell had the bad 7 year 49 million contract but the one weakness the Timberwolves ALWAYS seemed to have was at center where they eventually had to spend to acquire Michael Olowokandi. For perspective, I think their BEST centers during this decade or so time period was Dean Garrett and Rasho Nesterovic. Hell the Hornets who acquired Campbell thought they got great value from him playing him at Center. No need to talk on Eddie Jones since anyone with eyes knew he was a top 20 player in the league at the time
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject:

KG/Kobe would have been a beast.

However, I wonder if that duo would be too much for teammates. Imagine poor softies trying to exist with those two guys.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject:

You would of had more than 1 ring
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject:

I remember the huge KG thread prior to McHale rigging it for his Celtics. Netted Boston one title, at the Lakers' expense. So glad we won the rematch. Kobe and KG on one team - that would have been a sight.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject:

if Kobe and KG teamed up, history will change. we would not have Bynum, and since we need to trade for KD, likely no LO etc.
one thing for certain is that no 17th ring for the Celtics.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject:

What would have happen if Kobe picked up his phone?
Either way, it turned out OK for us with back 2 back chips with Pau.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject:

I'll never forget the KG thread when I was still a lurker here (I was a ClubLakers poster, but always ended up here first despite not being a registered member lol), the fans for the most part we're willing to give up anybody outside of Kobe for him, as was I!
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
I remember the huge KG thread prior to McHale rigging it for his Celtics. Netted Boston one title, at the Lakers' expense. So glad we won the rematch. Kobe and KG on one team - that would have been a sight.

Yeah. He was the first FA rumor I recall that started because an NBA player on another team bought a house in SoCal. Now, so many of them own second homes here.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject:

x75274 wrote:
Had this deal happened, it would have certainly led to some uncertainties.
1. Do we still get Pau? (Does Kupchak make the same initiative to find Pau even though in real life, it was Bynum's injury that motivated Kupchak to find the Pau deal. We almost certainly would have had the same trade pieces)
2. If we do get Pau (Gasol-Garnett frontcourt), chances are we beat Detroit in the finals. (Don't forget this was Chauncey Billups near his absolute peak regular season-wise but got injured against Orlando in the playoffs this year and was clearly not at his best)
3. 2009 would have been much harder as Garnett's knee injury was not a fluke incident but wear and tear. With no Garnett and Odom, can we still beat Orlando? I think yes because I think without Odom, we would have resigned Turiaf. The starting lineup would have been Fisher-Bryant-Ariza-Turiaf-Gasol. That lineup should be enough for Orlando although I am curious to see how Rashard Lewis would have done with that Laker lineup. Denver series would have been much tougher. Turiaf would need to play at least decently (aka. sticking his mid range jumpers) and without getting himself into foul trouble
4. 2010 is a wild card with no Boston to take out Cleveland. Had Cleveland made it to the finals, they had the pieces to beat us. With Lebron's mental state however, I think our 3 headed trio could have still beaten Cleveland. Orlando even with a 85-90% Garnett is not really a threat as Garnett always seemed to handle Lewis well.

In other words, had things broken exactly as they could have, the Garnett trade could have led to a 3 peat. If we do not make the subsequent Gasol deal however, there is a chance we could have come out with 0 titles with the Pistons being too tough for just Garnett inside, 2009 being Garnett's injury year and 2010 not having enough firepower with just Kobe and a 85-90% Garnett.

Solid breakdown here. Most would just say "Kobe would have another ring" without going through each year and seeing how it may have happened. I appreciate the year by year breakdown on how things could have turned out.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject:

So did lots of Laker fans....anybody remember GetGarnett.com
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
So did lots of Laker fans....anybody remember GetGarnett.com

Didn't it turn into another site? Please tell me what that was!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: