Markieff Morris (to Miami)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 38, 39, 40  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Markieff Morris continues to adapt to his ever-evolving role
"The Lakers have needed Morris to take on more scoring and defensive responsibilities with their superstars out, and he’s delivered."

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2021/4/10/22313779/lakers-analysis-markieff-morris-role-professional-veteran
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject:

To have this guy for the minimum is an absolute steal. They should be able to pay him a little more next season.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Perfect playoff player. Can defend multiple positions, catch and shoot, and finish on the break.
He, his brother, and Jae Crowder are the type of guys you want in the postseason.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
To have this guy for the minimum is an absolute steal. They should be able to pay him a little more next season.

I have absolutely 0 doubt that Pelinka will offer him full Early Bird this off-season. That's the best the Lakers can do and they will absolutely do that for a player that sacrificed to stay with the team.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Kieff has become the ultimate professional. Dude has stepped up huge in absence of Bron and AD.
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Do we have his early bird rights this summer?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject:

At 1 time he was considered better then his brother, that was when he was with the Wizards/Suns the only difference right now in terms of Kieff and Marcus is that 1 isn’t asked to do much while Marcus Morris has the pressure to deliver every night while getting 60M.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Lakersfan1211 wrote:

Yeah they should. Since he will have been with the team for two years. Which I think means they can give him a raise from $2.33M to $4.08M.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Lakersfan1211 wrote:

Yeah they should. Since he will have been with the team for two years. Which I think means they can give him a raise from $2.33M to $4.08M.

He can get up to league average salary actually which is about 10 mill
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Lakersfan1211 wrote:

He can be re-signed up to the league average salary actually which is about 10 mill
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:03 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Lakersfan1211 wrote:

Thanks for answering! Damn hope he returns again next summer.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:49 am    Post subject:

Give the man his money!!!!!
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:02 am    Post subject:

Kieff has been an absolutely unsung hero on this team.

I'd even argue that he's the 3rd most important player out there at the moment behind Drum and DS.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject:

Came in here to say thank you Markieff for being consistently above average for our team. I am very pleased he is a Laker.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject:

He's helped the team win a ring, he's helping us in AD's absence. He's got to have a wink wink deal with the Lakers. I was perplexed when he took the minimum deal.

Rob sees that there are two free agency periods. One traditionally in the offseason, and one during buyout season. He's crushed buyout FA season twice now and got the 2 best buyouts in 2 seasons.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
He's helped the team win a ring, he's helping us in AD's absence. He's got to have a wink wink deal with the Lakers. I was perplexed when he took the minimum deal.

Rob sees that there are two free agency periods. One traditionally in the offseason, and one during buyout season. He's crushed buyout FA season twice now and got the 2 best buyouts in 2 seasons.

Perhaps, but don't sell short these other facts which may have played a part:

1. Playing/Living in LA
2. He's really close to Marcus - they've expressed their desire to play together in the past, so if they can't be on the same team, playing in the same city would logically be a very close second.
3. He and Marcus supposedly "share" their money based on what they said on twitter when Marcus signed his $64M deal with the Clippers. So if Marcus got overpaid(?) by the Clippers, couldn't Markieff settle for a less-than-market contract so he can stay in close proximity to his brother?
4. Playing for a contender and going for another championship after playing for so many disappointing teams earlier in his career.

Rob committed Rob-bery by keeping Markieff for a minimum deal, but at this point in his career, perhaps everything mentioned above was more important to him than a few extra million.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject:

If anything, I also want to thank Steve Ballmer for subsidizing Markieff's presence on the Laker roster, without whom our recent championship would've been less possible.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject:

I love having Kief and Trez on the team. It brings a nice level of toughness to the team. Opponents know better than to try and punk AD or LBJ. If they do our enforcers have no issues laying the wood on the other stars.
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Kief gets it.

Quote:
https://www.ocregister.com/2021/04/18/markieff-morris-has-been-unsung-hero-as-lakers-battle-without-injured-stars/

Markieff Morris has been ‘unsung hero’ as Lakers battle without injured stars
Without LeBron and A.D., Morris has been one of the most consistent, most steadying presences on the team on both ends.
PUBLISHED: April 18, 2021 at 2:21 p.m. | UPDATED: April 19, 2021 at 2:57 p.m.

No less a basketball pundit than ESPN’s Zach Lowe offered a mea culpa on Friday in his weekly column of ten NBA observations. The sentiment could not have been more direct.
“Boy was I wrong about Markieff Morris”.

For those paying attention during the Lakers’ 7-8 stretch with neither LeBron James nor Anthony Davis, it’s been clear that Morris has been one of the most consistent, most steadying presences on the team on both ends of the court. In the last 15 games, he’s been the team’s fifth-leading scorer (11.8 ppg), the third-best rebounder (6.5 rpg) and a steady spacing big (37.7 % from 3-point range). Coach Frank Vogel recently said Morris is not being talked about enough: “He’s been like the unsung hero of this stretch.”

To which Morris himself says: Well, of course. What did you expect?

“I mean, (expletive), look at my production throughout my career,” he said in an interview with Southern California News Group this week. “I would think they would know I could be this consistent. Everybody’s trying to judge you off of how the season starts, but the tide always turns.”

The gruff-voiced Philadelphia native is characteristically self-confident, which is a necessary trait to survive a decade in the NBA. But even though he was a key role player during the 2020 title run, knocking down 3-pointers as a pick-and-pop big especially in series against Houston and Miami, Morris’ return to the Lakers was one of the least heralded moves of a busy offseason. He signed a veteran’s minimum deal for one season, and quickly found his minutes squeezed in the rotation.

During one early-season stretch, Morris racked up six DNPs in 11 games. At the time, Morris said his conversations with Vogel were “tough,” and that he and veteran guard Wesley Matthews (who was also missing games) were good enough to play for almost any other NBA team. That seems all the more true now, as both he and Matthews have been key components of gritty, defense-driven wins.
While Morris didn’t expect the Lakers would be as riddled with injuries as they are, he anticipated that the deeper he got into the season, the better he would play when the games matter more.

“I know how this works, and for me personally it was definitely a blessing that helped me get into shape and helped me get my legs under me,” Morris said. “Without having an offseason like I’m normally used to having, I thought I would start slow. … I’m not panicking over the preseason or first quarter of the season. I done got to the top of the mountain; none of this counts.”

Given minutes, Morris has been consistent: He’s scored in double figures and made at least four field goals in 10 of his last 13 games. He’s good for about two 3-pointers per game on a team that often is hunting for a consistent outside attack, including timely shots like the one that broke a fourth-quarter cold streak against the Utah Jazz on Saturday. While he’s often played more of a spot-up role alongside James and Davis, coaches trust Morris to shoot when he sees an opening: “The coaches have never told me not to shoot this shot; my role offensively is to just do whatever I want to do basically based on the matchup but look for good shots.”
When his shot isn’t falling, he can rack up rebounds, as he did with a season-best 12 against the Jazz. And he rarely makes defensive mistakes in Vogel’s scheme.

“He gotta get paid,” starting point guard Dennis Schröder said. “He’s tough.”
It’s an interesting comment, especially since Morris was under the impression this offseason that he would get a bigger offer from the Lakers than a veteran’s minimum. He called it “unfortunate” that the Lakers, who are just barely under the hard salary cap this season, could not offer more and acknowledged that other teams were. But when he weighed the pros and cons, he couldn’t justify going anywhere else.

“I would rather come back home (to L.A.) where they know me,” he said. “We talked about getting more money, and it was supposed to be that way, but even so, the Lakers just fit me best. It’s just a perfect fit for me.”

What drew Morris back might be best described as championship fever: that sense of intoxication that comes from winning a title, then finding it difficult to be motivated by anything else. Other Lakers, including reserve guard Alex Caruso and forward Kyle Kuzma, have described how sometimes the regular season pales in comparison to the intensity of playoff basketball; Morris seems wired the same way.
But the Lakers have needed him to win now, too, and he’s obliged. And for those who haven’t been to the top of the mountain, he’s in their ears, reminding them why tough games or the occasional night on the bench will be worth it in the end. One of the players he’s talked to the most is Matthews, who has become a bench player for the first time in his career.

Our time will come, Morris told him. He will see.

“It’s my competitive nature to play, and same with guys like Wes – when he wasn’t playing; emotional, just like me,” Morris said. “At those times, you just have to work on your mind and remember there’s a bigger picture at the end of the tunnel, just like it was last year. It might not make sense now. But when we’re holding up the trophy at the end, it will all make sense.”
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject:

lurklurk wrote:
Kief gets it.

Quote:
https://www.ocregister.com/2021/04/18/markieff-morris-has-been-unsung-hero-as-lakers-battle-without-injured-stars/

Markieff Morris has been ‘unsung hero’ as Lakers battle without injured stars
Without LeBron and A.D., Morris has been one of the most consistent, most steadying presences on the team on both ends.
PUBLISHED: April 18, 2021 at 2:21 p.m. | UPDATED: April 19, 2021 at 2:57 p.m.

No less a basketball pundit than ESPN’s Zach Lowe offered a mea culpa on Friday in his weekly column of ten NBA observations. The sentiment could not have been more direct.
“Boy was I wrong about Markieff Morris”.

For those paying attention during the Lakers’ 7-8 stretch with neither LeBron James nor Anthony Davis, it’s been clear that Morris has been one of the most consistent, most steadying presences on the team on both ends of the court. In the last 15 games, he’s been the team’s fifth-leading scorer (11.8 ppg), the third-best rebounder (6.5 rpg) and a steady spacing big (37.7 % from 3-point range). Coach Frank Vogel recently said Morris is not being talked about enough: “He’s been like the unsung hero of this stretch.”

To which Morris himself says: Well, of course. What did you expect?

“I mean, (expletive), look at my production throughout my career,” he said in an interview with Southern California News Group this week. “I would think they would know I could be this consistent. Everybody’s trying to judge you off of how the season starts, but the tide always turns.”

The gruff-voiced Philadelphia native is characteristically self-confident, which is a necessary trait to survive a decade in the NBA. But even though he was a key role player during the 2020 title run, knocking down 3-pointers as a pick-and-pop big especially in series against Houston and Miami, Morris’ return to the Lakers was one of the least heralded moves of a busy offseason. He signed a veteran’s minimum deal for one season, and quickly found his minutes squeezed in the rotation.

During one early-season stretch, Morris racked up six DNPs in 11 games. At the time, Morris said his conversations with Vogel were “tough,” and that he and veteran guard Wesley Matthews (who was also missing games) were good enough to play for almost any other NBA team. That seems all the more true now, as both he and Matthews have been key components of gritty, defense-driven wins.
While Morris didn’t expect the Lakers would be as riddled with injuries as they are, he anticipated that the deeper he got into the season, the better he would play when the games matter more.

“I know how this works, and for me personally it was definitely a blessing that helped me get into shape and helped me get my legs under me,” Morris said. “Without having an offseason like I’m normally used to having, I thought I would start slow. … I’m not panicking over the preseason or first quarter of the season. I done got to the top of the mountain; none of this counts.”

Given minutes, Morris has been consistent: He’s scored in double figures and made at least four field goals in 10 of his last 13 games. He’s good for about two 3-pointers per game on a team that often is hunting for a consistent outside attack, including timely shots like the one that broke a fourth-quarter cold streak against the Utah Jazz on Saturday. While he’s often played more of a spot-up role alongside James and Davis, coaches trust Morris to shoot when he sees an opening: “The coaches have never told me not to shoot this shot; my role offensively is to just do whatever I want to do basically based on the matchup but look for good shots.”
When his shot isn’t falling, he can rack up rebounds, as he did with a season-best 12 against the Jazz. And he rarely makes defensive mistakes in Vogel’s scheme.

“He gotta get paid,” starting point guard Dennis Schröder said. “He’s tough.”
It’s an interesting comment, especially since Morris was under the impression this offseason that he would get a bigger offer from the Lakers than a veteran’s minimum. He called it “unfortunate” that the Lakers, who are just barely under the hard salary cap this season, could not offer more and acknowledged that other teams were. But when he weighed the pros and cons, he couldn’t justify going anywhere else.

“I would rather come back home (to L.A.) where they know me,” he said. “We talked about getting more money, and it was supposed to be that way, but even so, the Lakers just fit me best. It’s just a perfect fit for me.”

What drew Morris back might be best described as championship fever: that sense of intoxication that comes from winning a title, then finding it difficult to be motivated by anything else. Other Lakers, including reserve guard Alex Caruso and forward Kyle Kuzma, have described how sometimes the regular season pales in comparison to the intensity of playoff basketball; Morris seems wired the same way.
But the Lakers have needed him to win now, too, and he’s obliged. And for those who haven’t been to the top of the mountain, he’s in their ears, reminding them why tough games or the occasional night on the bench will be worth it in the end. One of the players he’s talked to the most is Matthews, who has become a bench player for the first time in his career.

Our time will come, Morris told him. He will see.

“It’s my competitive nature to play, and same with guys like Wes – when he wasn’t playing; emotional, just like me,” Morris said. “At those times, you just have to work on your mind and remember there’s a bigger picture at the end of the tunnel, just like it was last year. It might not make sense now. But when we’re holding up the trophy at the end, it will all make sense.”

Great article.

Kieff might go down as one of my favorite Lakers role-players ever.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Morris seems to only enjoy playing when he gets the start and PT, he’s been horrid ever since AD came back.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Morris seems to only enjoy playing when he gets the start and PT, he’s been horrid ever since AD came back.

After going 2-8 on 3's against Utah he's followed that up with 21 straight misses from deep now.. I'm sure he'll climb out of the slump but it's been absolutely brutal especially since he's far from a defensive force so when the offense is horrific it really stands out.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject:

He’s sucked since tweaking his ankle. It’s obviously affected his legs.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject:

Kieff will be fine come playoff time, I trust him after last years run and I'm sure that's why Vogel is giving him such a long leash.

Come money time he'll be ready.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Markieff last 7 games:

4 points, 1-4 FG%, 0-3 3P%
4 points, 2-8 FG%, 0-5 3P%
4 points, 2-11 FG%, 0-6 3P%
2 points, 1-6 FG%, 0-4 3P%
2 points, 1-7 FG%, 0-3 3P%
3 points, 1-3 FG%, 0-1 3P%
0 points, 0-0 FG%, 0-0 3P%

Average:

2.7 points, 20.5 FG%, 0 3P%

Last edited by Lonzo-Lite on Mon May 03, 2021 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 39 of 40
Jump to: