LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Muncy:

0-4
1 bb
1 error

Dude’s been playing bad. Only thing he’s done well this year is draw walks.

Muncy, Bellinger and Pederson have gotten a pass all year because we’ve won in spite of them.

Roberts says we can’t win a WS if they don’t produce in the playoffs.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject:

If Pollock isn't in the lineup every day in the playoffs, it's a joke.

If Smith isn't in the lineup every day in the playoffs (can DH when Kershaw pitches), it's a joke.

Taylor needs to be the starter at second base. He's been one of our better postseason performers and the fact is that Lux just hasn't gotten it done, both at the plate and even in the field.

I'm glad that we have moved Smith up to 5th in the order, at least. It's too bad that Bellinger and Muncy have been complete dog doodoo in the cleanup spot.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:36 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Taylor's been killing it too. And after warming up, Belli went into a bit of a cold spell . . . but i'd say he's busting out after the last three games. When Belli starts getting slap singles into the gap and into oppo field, plus drawing walks, it means he's turning it around. I think he'll probably get into another warm spell over these final few games. Hopefully this time he carries it into the playoffs.

I heard the other day where Bellinger is getting killed on the up and in pitches.

I think he’s hitting 0.75 this year vs .300+ last year. So it’s more than just getting hot. There’s a hole in his swing and he’s being attacked at the same location by every pitcher.

I don’t know how he fixes that in 9 games but he’s going to be facing the best pitchers in the playoffs.

I think they mentioned that he made an adjustment by backing off the plate to handle that inside pitch.

I don’t know if that’s going to fix it. We’ll see. If he can’t fix this issue, he’s going to get pounded in the same exact spot throughout the playoffs.

Pitchers are firing high strikes for a reason: Bellinger swings from the heels. There's an inherent danger with upper-cut hitters. When the going is good they'll hit homers or display ample power. When things aren't working out, they'll strike out or make weak contact. Hitters with that profile thrive on pitches between the knees and waist. It's the nature of how they attack the ball.

Most good hitters (ballplayers with higher BAs) don't mind high strikes as they have level, compact swings. Bellinger hasn't adjusted his swing to handle the high ones. Worse, you'll see that he's lost confidence and now chases more pitches outside of the strike zone because he's tempted to drive something closer to where he feasts. If I was setting him up behind the plate, I'd set low targets outside of the strike zone to make him chase, and follow up high inside in the zone to jam him as he doesn't shorten his stroke by pulling his arms in and lean back as he attacks the ball.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Time Running Out for Dodgers' Struggling Lefty Sluggers to Fix What Ails Them

Ian Casselberry

Sep 15, 2020

No batter in the Dodgers' lineup stood out in Monday's 7-2 loss to the Padres. An offense that scored the third-most runs in baseball going into the game was held to two runs and four hits by San Diego's Dinelson Lamet and two relievers.

Perhaps it shouldn't be a surprise that Lamet handcuffed the Dodgers so effectively. In his third season, he has been outstanding. In 10 starts, Lamet has compiled 79 strikeouts in 59 1/3 innings, with a 2.12 ERA.and 0.893 WHIP.

Yet Monday's performance included some more futility from the Dodgers' left-handed hitters, which has become an ongoing problem.

Gavin Lux hit 0-for-2, dropping his slash line to .163/.250/.349 in what's increasingly appearing to be a lost season.

Joc Pederson went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts, leaving him with a .178/.273/.383 mark.

Max Muncy whiffed twice in going 1-for-3 Monday, giving him two hits in his past two games. That nudged him up to .198/.337/.395. Maybe his ejection from last Thursday's game and getting in a good dig at umpire Doug Eddings sharpened his focus. He's fanned a whopping 52 times in 167 at bats this season, however.

Cody Bellinger, pushed down to sixth in the lineup because of his difficulties, batted 0-for-3. That dropped the reigning NL MVP's triple slash numbers to .214/.294/.412 for the season.

Whatever changes Bellinger made to his batting stance in the offseason (with even more time to tinker due to MLB's COVID-19 shutdown) clearly scrambled his approach. There's no coil to his swing, which seems to prevent him from doing anything with inside pitches. Trying to adjust for that has also apparently rendered him helpless against high fastballs as well.

Only Corey Seager is hitting well from the left side. And he's been one of the team's best this season, compiling a .315/.363/.607 average with 12 home runs, 11 doubles, and 34 RBI. Mookie Betts, batting from the right, is the only Dodgers position player who's been better.

What's especially concerning as the calendar moves closer to the playoffs is that Muncy and Pederson have typically been among the Dodgers' most reliable postseason hitters.

In last year's National League Division Series versus the Nationals, for example, Pederson hit.267 with a .953 OPS, while Muncy posted a .263/.391/.737 line. (Meanwhile, Bellinger struggled with a .211/.286/.253 average and Seager batted .150/.190/.200.)

The larger concern is that Bellinger, Muncy, and Pederson have 12 games left to fix what ails them prior to the postseason. Is that enough time? Perhaps not when the previous 48 games have provided no answers.

With seven of L.A.'s remaining games against the Rockies and Angels, it's possible that the Dodgers' struggling lefties could improve their numbers against inferior pitching. And maybe that would help their approach mentally. But would that improvement be deceiving? That's not the kind of pitching they'll see in the postseason, especially in the later rounds.

And these are not the kinds of questions any team, let alone one with World Series title aspirations, wants to carry into what was already going to be an unusual October.

https://www.si.com/mlb/dodgers/news/time-running-out-for-dodgers-struggling-lefty-sluggers-to-fix-what-ails-them

What do you know. As soon as I post this, 2 of our struggling lefties (Lux and Bellinger) have each hit 2 run bombs.

4-0 Dodgers.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
9/17 - Urias
9/18 - undecided
9/19 - Kershaw
9/20 - Gonsolin

9/21 - off day

9/22 - May
9/23 - Urias
9/24 - undecided
9/25 - Kershaw
9/26 - Gonsolin
9/27 - May??

9/28 - off day
9/29 - off day

9/30 - game 1
10/1 - game 2
10/3 - game 3

Some notes:

1) It looks like there’s a spot in the schedule for Buehler to come back on 9/24

2) I don’t think May pitches on 9/27. We’ll probably call up a couple players from the alternate site. I think they’ll give him some relief innings before 9/27 to keep him tuned up.

3) Does Gonsolin pitch on 9/26? If we’re adamant that he starts game 3, then I think he pitches on 9/26 to avoid a long layoff.

4) Who starts game 1, Buehler or Kershaw? Buehler’s battling blister problems and would only have 1 tuneup start. Kershaw’s been the ace all year.

5) If they decide Kershaw starts game 1, they could shuffle the rotation using the off day on 9/21. Let Kershaw start on the undecided day (9/24). This gives him 5 days of rest before game 1 on 9/30.

Then, if they want Buehler starting game 2, they can slot him into the 9/25 game and he’ll also have 5 full days of rest. Gonsolin pitching on 9/26 would also have 5 full rest days before game 3.

6) Yup, my prediction is, whoever starts on 9/24; 9/25; and 9/26 are our games 1, 2, and 3 pitchers.

Yup, just like I predicted, they have reshuffled the rotation using the off day on 9/21.

The rotation right now (as is listed on ESPN) is:

Quote:

9/19 - Kershaw
9/20 - Gonsolin

9/21 - off day

9/22 - May
9/23 - Urias

9/24 - Kershaw
9/25 - Gonsolin
9/26 - undecided --> (Buehler???)
9/27 - May??

9/28 - off day
9/29 - off day

9/30 - game 1 --> (Kershaw???)
10/1 - game 2 --> (Gonsolin???)
10/3 - game 3 --> (Buehler???)

1) So, Kershaw and Gonsolin got moved up to 9/24 and 9/25

2) I'm pretty sure Buehler comes back 9/26

3) That really sets us up for: Kershaw (Gm 1), Gonsolin (Gm 2), Buehler (Gm 3)

4) That means Urias and May go into the bullpen for the first rd.

5) I just read a story where Urias has really struggled all year in the first inning and have been lights out after that. They asked Dave Roberts if they want to have a starter for Urias in the first inning then bring him in after that. Roberts said it's an option but Urias needs to learn how to be sharp from the get go. Let me find the article:

Quote:
Dodgers: Dave Roberts Stresses the Need for Julio Urías to Pitch Well From the Start

But the issue of the 1st inning just highlights what has been a major issue for Julio in 2020. In his first inning of work this year, Urías owns a 9.00 ERA. After the first inning, that drops all the way off to just a 2.38 ERA. The Dodgers’ southpaw falling behind in the count and throwing a lot of pitches has been a big part of that.

But for Dodgers’ manager Dave Roberts, he sees a little bit more to the equation.

We’ve gotta continue to talk through it and make adjustments. You saw the velocity sitting at 93 early and as he got into the game, the velocity started to tik up and the breaking ball had more depth to it. So we gotta keep working and Julio understands that too…like all of our pithers, he’s gotta be ready from the first pitch…I think it’s still the warmup or ramp up it whatever that is.

Quote:
It just takes an inning for Julio Urías to get there.
If not for the first inning of games this year, Urías’ 3.49 ERA would instead be 2.08. Again, the opening frame was a battle for him Thursday. And, again, every inning afterward looked spectacular during the Dodgers’ 9–3 win to start the series.

“That’s a credit to him and the adjustments he made,” said manager Dave Roberts. “Even talking to him on the bench after, it’s more of getting that mindset when it gets to the fifth or sixth inning in the first inning.”

“Once he kind of got loose and got that adrenaline, or whatever you call it, it was a lot more crisp,” Roberts said.

Urías threw 26 pitches in the first inning and a combined 27 in his next three innings. By the time Urías left the game with two outs in the sixth inning, holding Colorado scoreless after the first, he’d only thrown 77 pitches.

The left-hander said he was able to remain focused after the rocky start, which he’s continuing to work on. In his last two starts, Urías has allowed just three runs — all of which have come in the first inning.

“I’m just trying to make the adjustment in the first inning,” Urías said through a translator. “You can’t let that beat you. You have to understand that that inning has passed.”

Quote:
Dodgers News: Julio Urias Searching For Solution To First-Inning Struggles

Julio Urias has struggled in the first inning of most, if not all his starts for the Los Angeles Dodgers this season. He’s posted a 9.00 ERA in 10 games compared to a 1.85 ERA in the rest of his innings (39 total).

That includes his outing against the Colorado Rockies on Thursday night when Urias gave up a pair of runs in the first inning before settling in and retiring 13 straight. Overall in 5.2 innings, he gave up three hits and two runs, all in the first inning.

“I continue working on that,” Urias said after the Dodgers’ comeback win at Coors Field. “I work with Mark and the rest of the coaches. They’ve really helped, and I’m just trying to make the adjustment for the first inning.

“Sometimes it’s just the circumstances of the game, but you can’t let that beat you. You have to understand that inning has passed, continue working and hopefully get into the sixth or seventh inning. That’s the mentality. I’ll continue working.”

There’s no doubt that Urias possesses a ton of talent, but if he is going to be a reliable arm for the Dodgers in the postseason, he will have to find a way to be solid from the first pitch to avoid putting the team in an early hole.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject:

If they are lining Buehler up for a potential Game 3, that is very interesting. I wonder if that means they would consider using Buehler out of the bullpen in Game 2 if we can win the series 2-0. If he didn't have a long relief stint, he could still be ready for his first start in the next series with no problem. I'd imagine May will be a possibility in Games 1 and 2, and perhaps even Buehler to close out a Game 2 win? If they are that worried about Jansen, we could go with an end-game bullpen of power arms like Graterol, May, and Buehler. Just something to think about.

Anything to get Jansen out of a high-leverage role lol.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
If they are lining Buehler up for a potential Game 3, that is very interesting. I wonder if that means they would consider using Buehler out of the bullpen in Game 2 if we can win the series 2-0. If he didn't have a long relief stint, he could still be ready for his first start in the next series with no problem. I'd imagine May will be a possibility in Games 1 and 2, and perhaps even Buehler to close out a Game 2 win? If they are that worried about Jansen, we could go with an end-game bullpen of power arms like Graterol, May, and Buehler. Just something to think about.

Here's my take:

Buehler has only 1 start before the playoffs. They don't know how his blister will heal. They know Gonsolin is ready to go.

Whoever starts on 9/25 has 5 full days of rest for game 2. Whoever starts on 9/26 has 4 full days of rest for game 2.

So, they start Gonsolin on 9/25 so that he'll have 5 full days of rest. They'll wait until 9/26 to see how Buehler does. If he still has some discomfort with the blisters, they'll probably go with Gonsolin for game 2. If Buehler looks great, then they can always pitch him in game 2 on 4 days of rest. (That means Buehler probably only goes max 5ip on 9/26).

It also depends on how Kershaw does in game 1 of the playoffs. If Kershaw loses, I think they'll go with Buehler in game 2. If Kershaw wins, they might go with Gonsolin and then save Buehler for game 3 or game 1 of the NLDS.

I think that's their plan. I don't think Gonsolin is the game 2 starter for sure. I think he's just the tentative starter until they see how Buehler's blister responds on 9/26.

Buehler has another throwing simulation before his next start. If his blisters look really good by then, maybe they can even reshuffle the rotation again.

They can have Buehler pitching on 9/25 and Gonsolin on 9/26. I think it all depends on how confident they are in his blister being fully healed by the playoffs.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Taylor's killing it now. Our right handers are killing it this year. It's such a role reversal for us:

Turner: .305/ .399/ .427/ .826
Pollock: .278/ .315/ .544/ .859
Taylor: .285/ .379/ .497 / .876
Betts: .303/ .377/ .601/ .978
Smith: .303/ .417/ .596/ 1.012

Plus, our 1 left hander that's producing (Corey Seager).

Seager: .312/ .361/ .597/ .958

***Only weird thing is, our right handers aren't really crushing left handed pitching:

Betts: .208/ .321/ .229 / .551
Turner: .211/ .367/ .237 /.604
Taylor: .196/ .315/ .370/ .684

Only these (2) are crushing left handed pitching:
Smith: .333/ .467/ .500/ .967
Pollock: 340/ .340/ .702/ 1.042

----------------------------------------

Note:

Kershaw came into the game with 47.1 ip. He needs 12.2 ip in his last 2 starts to qualify for stats leaderboard.

I'm guessing he only goes 5ip his last start so he'll need to go 7.2ip tonight. Right now, he's gone 5ip at a very efficient 63 pitches.

Kershaw has a chance to break Pedro's single season Whip record (0.7373)

Right now, Kershaw's whip is (0.7452)

His line tonight so far:

5ip
2 hits
0 runs
0 walks
5 k

Let's say he goes another 2.2ip w/o a walk or a hit. This is what his whip would be:

Kershaw could inch ahead of Pedro tonight!

Plus, as of right now, Kershaw is a qualified pitcher. That means for the first time, we can see his name on the leaderboard tomorrow!

----------------------------

Update. Kershaw gave up 2 more hits. He went a total of 7ip.

His numbers on the season now:

54.1 ip
2.15 ERA
0.7546 Whip

So, in his last start, he'll need 5.2ip to qualify for the stats leaderboard (60ip). I doubt that happens.

If he does go 5.2ip, then he can only give up 3 (hits + walks) to end up with a whip of (0.7333) which would be ahead of Pedro's (0.7373)
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Scrap everything I said. ESPN’s lineup isn’t up to date anymore.

According to Gurnick, Buehler starts on Thu, 9/24. Sounds like the simulated game went well.

Quote:
Dodgers' Walker Buehler: Will start Thursday

Buehler (finger) will return from the injured list Thursday against Oakland, Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports.

Buehler dealt with a blister during his last start on Sept. 8 and will wind up missing a little over two weeks. He threw a 90-pitch simulated game Saturday and is now ready to go. Thursday's start should function as a tuneup for Buehler as he's likely to be a part of the Dodgers' rotation in the postseason.

So I guess that means:

9/24 - Buehler
9/25 - Kershaw
9/26 - Gonsolin
9/27 - ??

9/28 - day off
9/29 - day off

9/30 - gm 1 - Buehler
10/1 - gm 2 - Kershaw
10/2 - gm 3 - Gonsolin
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Break out the brooms 🧹

Magic No. Down to 2

Lakers and Dodgers on too of the sports world best time to be an LA sports fan!
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:10 am    Post subject:

So I guess that means:

9/24 - Buehler
9/25 - Kershaw
9/26 - Gonsolin
9/27 - ??

9/28 - day off
9/29 - day off

9/30 - gm 1 - Buehler
10/1 - gm 2 - Kershaw
10/2 - gm 3 - Gonsolin[/quote]

You don't Urias starts? He is probably more ready than Buehler at this point.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:

Quote:
So I guess that means:

9/24 - Buehler
9/25 - Kershaw
9/26 - Gonsolin
9/27 - ??

9/28 - day off
9/29 - day off

9/30 - gm 1 - Buehler
10/1 - gm 2 - Kershaw
10/2 - gm 3 - Gonsolin

You don't Urias starts? He is probably more ready than Buehler at this point.

Yeah, it would be shocking if Urias starts (over Buehler). It just doesn’t line up that way.

He might start over Gonsolin, but the way they’ve set up the rotation going into the last week, it doesn’t look like Urias is in the running to start a game.

Of course , this is all guessing until they actually announce the rotation.

As for the NLDS, they’ll either go to a 4-man or 5-man rotation.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject:

Damn, Gonsolin so far today:

3ip
0 runs
0 hits
7 k
0 bb

41-29 (pitches/strikes)

9 batters faced, 7 strikeouts.

Could be a special day.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Oh crap a jam now for Gonsolin.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Appreciate the stats breakdown for Kershaw, LBP. You have me very excited for his next start, I hope if he’s having a good game that Dave lets him go 6 innings.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:06 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Appreciate the stats breakdown for Kershaw, LBP. You have me very excited for his next start, I hope if he’s having a good game that Dave lets him go 6 innings.

If the pitch count is fine, I think he will go 6.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject:

We’re about to clinch the NL WEST tonight!

7-2 (Dodgers, 8th inning)

Padres lost to the Angels

Magic number: 1
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject:

After the recent postseason disappointments, winning the NL West almost sounds like an insult.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
After the recent postseason disappointments, winning the NL West almost sounds like an insult.

We just need to win 1 title and people will start appreciating these consecutive NL West titles.

We’ll be remembered like the Braves instead of the Buffalo Bills.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject:

I have seen the many mentions of the pitchers that no longer are Dodgers, but don't recall any mention of Verdugo. He is hitting .330, slashing .383/.508/.891.

I'd say, as of now, this is a trade that worked for both teams.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject:

still don't trust Kershaw and Jensen in postseason. but with Roberts at the helm we have no choice.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
I have seen the many mentions of the pitchers that no longer are Dodgers, but don't recall any mention of Verdugo. He is hitting .330, slashing .383/.508/.891.

I’ve mentioned him.

I keep track of him daily. I didn’t think it was necessary to give up Verdugo in the trade. Red Sox couldn’t have gotten a better package from any other team than what they got from us. (I think signing Pollock forced us to trade Verdugo.)

Clevinger has more value than Betts (due to his contract) and yet the Padres got him for much less.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ribeye wrote:

I’ve mentioned him.

I keep track of him daily. I didn’t think it was necessary to give up Verdugo in the trade. Red Sox couldn’t have gotten a better package from any other team than what they got from us. (I think signing Pollock forced us to trade Verdugo.)

Clevinger has more value than Betts (due to his contract) and yet the Padres got him for much less.

Well Clevinger just left after 1 inning, and this after he hurt his biceps previously. Could be a very bad development for the Padres for the playoffs.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ribeye wrote:

I’ve mentioned him.

Well Clevinger just left after 1 inning, and this after he hurt his biceps previously. Could be a very bad development for the Padres for the playoffs.

Wow.

Quote:
On the one hand, this could just be a precaution from Clevinger and the Padres in the event he felt some discomfort.

But bicep tightness can sometimes be suggestive of elbow issues, which would be far more concerning. The Padres cannot afford Clevinger to hit the injured list.

They entered Wednesday’a matchup with the Angels 5.0 games back of the Los Angeles Dodgers in the National League West, and it was unlikely they were going to catch the Dodgers.

https://clutchpoints.com/padres-ace-mike-clevinger-pulled-after-just-one-inning-in-start-against-angels/

Yeah, considering we clinched the NL West past night, I would also agree that it’s unlikely the Padres would catch us.

Quote:
The Padres fear they have lost starting pitcher Mike Clevinger for the postseason.

There is no official word yet from the team after Clevinger departed Wednesday’s start against the Angels after pitching a perfect first inning.
While there was initial concern within the organization of an elbow injury, two sources said that did not seem to be the fear. A muscle strain or tendonitis are the primary preliminary suspicions, both of which could still sideline Clevinger too long to be available in October.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/story/2020-09-23/padres-mike-clevinger-injury-biceps-angels

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject:

^
Aaaaaand now we know why the Indians were willing to deal him, and why the return may have been a little light at first glance.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 298, 299, 300  Next
Page 45 of 300
Jump to: