2020 Playoff Seeding Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
DrDent wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Obviously need to see Houston and Clips pair off in the second round for easiest path towards the WCF.

This is the dream scenario for the Lakers.

Rockets and Clippers the two least favorable matchups for the Lakers.

Rockets - Spread you out, small ball 3 point chucking team with now space for Harden and Russ to attack. If the Lakers can’t somewhat keep up with 3s and dominate offensive and defensive boards, could lose that series easy.

Clippers - Have the wing personnel to neutralize Lebron and AD and have the offensive firepower advantage.

Denver - Probably the next least favorable if they had someone to stop Lebron. Jokic struggles a bit with AD/Dwight.

Utah - Overrated, still ultra dependent on Mitchell against the elite.

The rest of West is not quite contender yet. Although Dallas could be scary if Porzingis plays to potential.

Re Denver - I find them very overrated, in part because I think Jokic is not a number 1 guy and honestly Im not sure murray is much better than say kuzma if you gave kuzma that many minutes and volume. They have some “nice” pieces but imo are just a hiccup for most championship caliber teams. If i was Denver id make a push for them to get a real no 1 option to play with Jokic then theyd be dangerous.

As we ramp up towards playoffs, I have noticed the gap growing. Initially, I liked that Denver had the #1 defense which indicates that they understand, but they seem to have reverted back to old Denver. Utah looked good getting a couple of good wins but now they look like frauds.

Lakers, Clippers, Rockets

Nuggets
Mavs, Jazz, OKC

Pelicans, Blazers, Grizzlies, Sac

Yep, agreed, and nice visual. Although - and i hate to say this - i wonder if that top grouping has clippers with the advantage. As i write that it aggravates me to no end😐
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately, Dr. Dent, if I had to rank them Clippers are 1. Until we prove we can beat them.

The small ball rockets concern me as well. I’m not confident in that one either until I see what adjustments the Lakers make. Obviously, the Rockets aren’t going to shoot 46% from 3 in a playoff series, but their small ball game plan and design gave the Lakers problems and yes we got a few dunks, but there wasn’t any big dominance and Covington/Tucker have done a good job at protecting the paint.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject:

I miss the championship teams where it didn’t matter who we played.
We enter the playoffs ready to destroy every team in the league.

Kobe
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject:

BTW I say I think Murray not much better than Kuz if Kuz got the same PT and shots...and tonight....
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
BTW I say I think Murray not much better than Kuz if Kuz got the same PT and shots...and tonight....

LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:34 am    Post subject:

Next 8 games will decide the #1 seed.

76ers
Bucks
Clippers
Nets
Rockets
Nuggets
Jazz
Jazz

Have to go 4-4 at worst in this stretch to keep the #1 seed.
El Seano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:36 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Next 8 games will decide the #1 seed.

76ers
Bucks
Clippers
Nets
Rockets
Nuggets
Jazz
Jazz

Have to go 4-4 at worst in this stretch to keep the #1 seed.

We have the advantage that 6 of those 8 are at home (Might as well be 7 because the Clippers is a "road" game) .Definitely the hardest stretch of games of the year. If we come out of this over .500 for the stretch I'll be thrilled. We barely see a playoff team the rest of the season after this stretch. Only Toronto, Indiana and OKC and those games are spread out too.

Pretty much everybody else we'll face is below .500 and a good handful of them will likely be outright tanking as it's quite close near the bottom. 3 losses is the difference between 2nd best odds and 7th best odds as things stand.

I think:

76ers: Should be a W. They're terrible on the road and I mean they've got the same road record as the Knicks... and won't have Simmons or Embiid.

Bucks: I want a W for confidences sake but likely an L, they're pretty unstoppable.

Clippers: W. I think they'll be determined to not go into the playoffs thinking they've got their number. Bron might go bonkers in this one.

Nets: Easy W. None of their stars, at home, days rest.

Rockets: L. They're a problem for us.

Nuggets: W. We seem to be a problem for them.

Jazz: W. Hearts says it's an L but we're unbeaten on the 2nd night of back to backs and seem to get up for these games.

Jazz: L. Just because I can't see us going 6-2 over this span however good we are.

I'd take 5-3 happily.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject:

It would take a collapse to blow a 6 loss lead over the final 23 games. Especially when 13/23 are at home. Clippers play 12/22 on road. Even if clippers go 19-3 to close out season, Lakers would have to lose at least 8 more games. They’ve lost 13 games all year.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject:

At this point with Lebron looking healthy and spry, we just want to get through these remaining games without him picking up any nagging injuries. We do that I like our chances against anyone.

We do need to get that Clips game though, the media will never let that go if we drop another one to them.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
DrDent wrote:

Murray the guy who makes bagels down at the deli?
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject:

The 8th seed race in the west is going to be fun.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
It would take a collapse to blow a 6 loss lead over the final 23 games. Especially when 13/23 are at home. Clippers play 12/22 on road. Even if clippers go 19-3 to close out season, Lakers would have to lose at least 8 more games. They’ve lost 13 games all year.

Lakers could easily go 3-5 in the next 8. That would mean for the final 15, we'd need to 12-3.

I can easily see the Clippers going 19-3 down the stretch. Even though they play a bunch on the road, they play bad teams. They essentially have 8 tough games left on their schedule and that is counting OKC tough team.

Really it comes down to the Clippers next 3 games - if they can go 3-0, it will apply a lot more pressure on the Lakers.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:

Lakers could easily go 3-5 in the next 8. That would mean for the final 15, we'd need to 12-3.

I can easily see the Clippers going 19-3 down the stretch. Even though they play a bunch on the road, they play bad teams. They essentially have 8 tough games left on their schedule and that is counting OKC tough team.

Really it comes down to the Clippers next 3 games - if they can go 3-0, it will apply a lot more pressure on the Lakers.

The Lakers remaining strength of schedule is about the same as the Clippers remaining strength of schedule (especially with Simmons and Embiid out for Philly)

The idea the Clippers have a much easier home run is a myth
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject:

I think our No1 seed is locked. No way we will lose more than 6 games until the end. Our schedule is hard in next two weeks but many games are at home.
The rest of the schedule is against teams below 50%. We are first for sure.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:43 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:

The Lakers remaining strength of schedule is about the same as the Clippers remaining strength of schedule (especially with Simmons and Embiid out for Philly)

The idea the Clippers have a much easier home run is a myth

Lakers remaining SOS is 16th. Clippers is 23rd.

That doesn’t tell the entire story though since SOS is just based on aggregate W-L of remaining opponents.

If Lakers played one team that was 99-1 and another 1-99, it would be the same SOS as playing 2 teams at 50-50. Even though the SOS is the same, the experts outcomes would be different.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:29 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
If Lakers played one team that was 99-1 and another 1-99, it would be the same SOS as playing 2 teams at 50-50. Even though the
SOS is the same, the experts outcomes would be different.

Which is why the Lakers, playing Philly, without Embiid and Simmons would increase their remaining strength of schedule on paper but in reality it's rather easier.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:06 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
If Lakers played one team that was 99-1 and another 1-99, it would be the same SOS as playing 2 teams at 50-50. Even though the

Which is why the Lakers, playing Philly, without Embiid and Simmons would increase their remaining strength of schedule on paper but in reality it's rather easier.

For the Lakers it's all about the next 8 games imo.. If we close it out with a winning record we got the 1 seed locked up (especially if that includes a win against the Clips).. It would take a monumental collapse at this point to lose it especially with how Lebron is currently playing.

Just doing the eye test and looking at both schedules i'd say it's close to even with the Clippers tough games more spread out and mostly on the road while the majority of our tough games are all clustered in the next couple weeks and at home. If we lose it we deserve to and there has to be some major problems going on.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:25 am    Post subject:

Just when I thought Memphis was about to slide out of the 8th seed, they get two back to back blowout wins without Clarke and JJJ.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:31 am    Post subject:

Just when I thought Memphis was about to slide out of the 8th seed, they get two back to back blowout wins without Clarke and JJJ.

Great wins for them.
4 losses ahead of the Blazers.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

Great wins for them.
4 losses ahead of the Blazers.

I would crack up if the Spurs took the 8th.

31 losses: Grizz
34 losses: Spurs, Kings, Pelicans
35 losses: Blazers
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject:

Go Memphis

Also, the Celtics get a worse pick if Memphis enters in the playoffs.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

also without Josh Richardson
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject:

For the 8th spot

31 losses: Grizz
34 losses: Spurs, Kings
35 losses: Blazers, Pelicans
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject:

I'd be happy with 4-3 in these next 7 with a win over the Clippers.

A loss by the Clippers on Thursday at Houston would be huge for the Lakers keeping a nice cushion down the stretch.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/ralph_masonjr/status/1235084099066294274?s=21

I don’t care if this is 3-4 if the 3 wins are against the Bucks, Clippers and Rockets.

It’s time to show. Obviously 4-3 or 5-2 is great but they really need to beat those 3 teams.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: