NBA Season COVID-19 Thread (**No politics or racial/ethnic remarks or personal insults**)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97 ... 128, 129, 130  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
For some, if the Clips win the championship, it will be legit. However, if the Lakers win it, it should not count and should have an asterisk attached.

I think that if the second season starts, how the NBA approaches it will define if it is a normal title or a tainted one. Do I think that the top 8 in each Conference when play halted would stay the same at the end of 82 games? No, I think that we would have seen movement in and out of the top 8. If the league has a 24-team playoffs with the bottom 4 playing in, that would make it more legit. If they go top 16 mixing Conferences, nothing else could be farther from a normal title.

No matter what the NBA does nobody will ever say this was a normal season. No matter what happens, people will always debate whether the covid19 delay/situation changed the outcome, especially if a star comes down sick. And who knows -- they may be right. Such is life.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
Because they projected millions would've died and it has barely cracked that.

There was one study out of the UK that projected that 2 million people would die in the US if we did absolutely nothing in response to covid19 -- no social distancing, no closing anything down, etc. That was the upper end if we had pretended covid19 didn't exist.

So if you believe that study, the steps we took saved millions of lives.

Perhaps but how long is this lockdown supposed to last? Forever? If it does why is the NBA returning but regular people can't go back to their lives? I mean the NBA keeps spewing we're all in this together and social distancing etc that's fine for us but the minute it affects their bottom line its suddenly a problem.
Laker Hefe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
For some, if the Clips win the championship, it will be legit. However, if the Lakers win it, it should not count and should have an asterisk attached.

This season will always have one for me, because it got interrupted in the middle of it. We were starting to go next year just in time, and this whole break could have killed all our momentum. Other teams that started slowing down could benefit more. Plus the format seems to be changing

This will always be a highly unusual season.

That said, ultimately, whoever wins wins. People who make a big deal discounting the win just have their own agenda that has nothing to do with the season.

Exactly - just start playing!!!! I'm over Lakers Compacto!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

There was one study out of the UK that projected that 2 million people would die in the US if we did absolutely nothing in response to covid19 -- no social distancing, no closing anything down, etc. That was the upper end if we had pretended covid19 didn't exist.

Perhaps but how long is this lockdown supposed to last? Forever? If it does why is the NBA returning but regular people can't go back to their lives? I mean the NBA keeps spewing we're all in this together and social distancing etc that's fine for us but the minute it affects their bottom line its suddenly a problem.

I really don't know what you're talking about. The NBA obviously has been affected financially by this. The NBA has not reopened, and has no firm plans to do so yet. Businesses of all sorts are re-opening. I really don't know what your complaint is right now.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Laker Hefe wrote:
activeverb wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

This season will always have one for me, because it got interrupted in the middle of it. We were starting to go next year just in time, and this whole break could have killed all our momentum. Other teams that started slowing down could benefit more. Plus the format seems to be changing

This will always be a highly unusual season.

That said, ultimately, whoever wins wins. People who make a big deal discounting the win just have their own agenda that has nothing to do with the season.

Exactly - just start playing!!!! I'm over Lakers Compacto!

If the NBA starts playing again, I don't expect it to happen for at least another five weeks. They still have a lot of stuff to work out, and they have to work out the agreement with the players union.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject:

PNWlakers wrote:
now there are talks of a group stage format, i.e. World Cup Soccer?

Could be interesting and might be the most fair way to start.

I read that and agree that it would be interesting. 4 groups, 6 teams in each, you play each team in your group twice. Treat it like the first round of the playoffs with the top 2 from each group advancing. And the league would get plenty of televised games. I still prefer East vs West, but this could be fun. I just hope that it wouldn’t turn out like that soccer league who had to cancel because everyone was getting hurt. If the NBA does get going in late July we will have had a typical 4 month offseason.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

I really don't know what you're talking about. The NBA obviously has been affected financially by this. The NBA has not reopened, and has no firm plans to do so yet. Businesses of all sorts are re-opening. I really don't know what your complaint is right now.

Its this: teams in certain states that have everyone else locked down but athletes who aren't that essential either can go work and resume their lives as before more or less. I think if you can do that you should re-open those states.

Not at once but in phases like what Indiana is doing now.

The issue is the hypocrisy of it all the NBA talks about being all in together etc telling people how to live their lives by staying in etc to stop the spread but those rules don't apply to them. .. I'd respect them more if they just owned that.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Its this: teams in certain states that have everyone else locked down but athletes who aren't that essential either can go work and resume their lives as before more or less. I think if you can do that you should re-open those states.

The issue is the hypocrisy of it all the NBA talks about being all in together etc telling people how to live their lives by staying in etc to stop the spread but those rules don't apply to them. .. I'd respect them more if they just owned that.

As far as I know, NBA players aren't back to normal. They're not playing games. They're not earning money. They're not conducting full practices.

In some cases, NBA players can go use practice facilities, with restrictions in place, such as having a limited number of people on site.

Is that what you are referring to? Or is something else happening in Indiana?
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject:

https://uproxx.com/sports/us-government-made-pro-athletes-essential-workers/

US Government pretty much green lighting sports to come back even though many won’t agree athletes are “essential workers”.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Just about every team (except Orlando and Miami) will have to travel out of state to play in a quarantined bubble with daily testing.

How is that resuming their normal lives?
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Am I late on the coaches and at risk player talk? Regardless of how much the league tests and controls the environment you're going to have players and coaches that the team may not want to risk even if they want to.

For instance, even if Javale believes data about asthma not being a significant risk and is bent on signing a waiver, does it even make sense for the team to take that risk? More significant, with so many coaches being elderly I'm assuming some of the head and assistant coaches will at least consider backing out even if they're saying the right things now. No matter how safe you try to make it, I think we underestimate what players and coaches will actually do even when this gets finalized.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

There is no way to extinguish perceived hypocrisy in this situation, only does the benefit outweigh the risk. The league can obey the rules and justify restarting, but consumers won't all think the same way about it. Some will just be happy they have something to watch. Some will resent that the players have testing and they don't, some won't even look into getting tested but still hold that grudge.

This is going to be messy and I don't know that we have anything close to a precedent for it. There was a 20% attendance drop in 95 after the MLB player strike, and no matter how many fans tried to reason with others that the players just wanted their share I remember a lot of fans that stopped going to or watching games that lost respect for the rich wanting more money. We're dealing with lives, businesses, beliefs and a ton of emotions. If the league could create a dome that sounded an alarm the moment the virus entered it, you still can't change how the league starting back up looks, right or wrong.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject:

NBALakerLegends wrote:
https://uproxx.com/sports/us-government-made-pro-athletes-essential-workers/

US Government pretty much green lighting sports to come back even though many won’t agree athletes are “essential workers”.

If you follow sports around the world, many governments are giving exemptions for sports to resume in front of empty crowds, but playing for a television audience. I can see their reasoning as resumption of sports will lift the spirits of the general public who are facing a terrible situation and need a distraction.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:

This is going to be messy and I don't know that we have anything close to a precedent for it. There was a 20% attendance drop in 95 after the MLB player strike, and no matter how many fans tried to reason with others that the players just wanted their share I remember a lot of fans that stopped going to or watching games that lost respect for the rich wanting more money. We're dealing with lives, businesses, beliefs and a ton of emotions. If the league could create a dome that sounded an alarm the moment the virus entered it, you still can't change how the league starting back up looks, right or wrong.

I don't think this is anything like the baseball strike. The players are victims of the virus like everyone else. If they restart, I think most people will be supportive. It's not like the shutdown is uniformly popular around the country anyway.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:31 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

I don't think this is anything like the baseball strike. The players are victims of the virus like everyone else. If they restart, I think most people will be supportive. It's not like the shutdown is uniformly popular around the country anyway.

You'r right it's nothing at all like the strike which was all about $. And when the NBA does come back IMO the fan support will be overwhelming. A lot of people can't wait to have some type of sports back...to look forward to watching games, competition etc. Why do you think the Last Dance had so much viewership as did the Tiger Woods /Phil match-up this weekend. Sports back is great for the psyche of this country. And like you mentioned not only is the shutdown "uniformly popular" it's becoming very unpopular...this is not sustainable and the quicker we get sports back a long with other non-essential businesses the better off we'll all be.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

You'r right it's nothing at all like the strike which was all about $. And when the NBA does come back IMO the fan support will be overwhelming. A lot of people can't wait to have some type of sports back...to look forward to watching games, competition etc. Why do you think the Last Dance had so much viewership as did the Tiger Woods /Phil match-up this weekend. Sports back is great for the psyche of this country. And like you mentioned not only is the shutdown "uniformly popular" it's becoming very unpopular...this is not sustainable and the quicker we get sports back a long with other non-essential businesses the better off we'll all be.

And the NBA resuming isn’t about $?
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

Yes it is as a whole....but MLB was more about dividing money...who's entitled to more, players or owners. the NBA coming back is about $ for both....not how it's divided. Which is what's happening right now with MLB again.
Chick-N-Stew
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject:

The way they are setting it up will place the league team employees in a bubble. They are only going to be a threat to themselves. Not the general public. That's a valid distinction between the 2.

Also as was mentioned above, sports on TV might be more essential to public happiness than some of the usual essential suspects.

What is amazing is that there is such division on simple things like wearing masks and distancing. Some believe in it and others don't.
Obviously the economic impact had to be considered and businesses reintegrated into society. As a result it's very possible more folks will becomw sick and some will die.

To err on the side of caution seems the wisest approach at this time. I believe the pro sports leagues believe this also. They will be doing everything they can to keep the health because if one player or coach gets it, it's over.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

That's not the point.

Baseball stopping was all about money. That's why fans were angry at the players.

Basketball stopping was about a worldwide virus that affected everyone. So no one was angry at the players because the NBA stopped.

Sure, there will be some people who are critical of the NBA restarting, just as there are people critical of restaurants opening, stores opening, or anything like that. But by and large, I think the resumption will be done in a way that seems logical, and most people will be happy it is happening.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

That's not the point.

Baseball stopping was all about money. That's why fans were angry at the players.

Basketball stopping was about a worldwide virus that affected everyone. So no one was angry at the players because the NBA stopped.

Sure, there will be some people who are critical of the NBA restarting, just as there are people critical of restaurants opening, stores opening, or anything like that. But by and large, I think the resumption will be done in a way that seems logical, and most people will be happy it is happening.

Well said.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

That's not the point.

Well said.

Thank you. Figuring out how to say things is how I make my living
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

Yes it is as a whole....but MLB was more about dividing money...who's entitled to more, players or owners. the NBA coming back is about $ for both....not how it's divided. Which is what's happening right now with MLB again.

I don’t want it to sound like I’m being critical that it is about money, I understand and have no problem at all with that. I have been voicing my opinion that all teams should get their 70 games in so that they don’t lose TV money. Ultimately it will affect BRI, the salary cap and the ability for the Lakers to improve after the season finally ends. I will probably watch but I am over it, bring on the NFL.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
King Randle wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

I don’t want it to sound like I’m being critical that it is about money, I understand and have no problem at all with that. I have been voicing my opinion that all teams should get their 70 games in so that they don’t lose TV money. Ultimately it will affect BRI, the salary cap and the ability for the Lakers to improve after the season finally ends. I will probably watch but I am over it, bring on the NFL.

If the NBA tried to have all teams play 70, it would be interesting to see how many guys on non-playoff teams declined to return for 4 or 5 meaningless games.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject:

I say just start the playoff teams only when the time is right.

The other players can pass out masks and cheerlead and stuff for playing so poorly during the majority of the regular season.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

There is no way to extinguish perceived hypocrisy in this situation, only does the benefit outweigh the risk. The league can obey the rules and justify restarting, but consumers won't all think the same way about it. Some will just be happy they have something to watch. Some will resent that the players have testing and they don't, some won't even look into getting tested but still hold that grudge.

Yes its a mess because it appears to be rather hypocritical especially when the NBA tries to be fake woke and they're anything but its about the $$$ I'd respect them more if they just owned it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97 ... 128, 129, 130  Next
Page 96 of 130
Jump to: