NBA Season COVID-19 Thread (**No politics or racial/ethnic remarks or personal insults**)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 128, 129, 130  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
Our lockdown is even weaker than Italy.

Their new cases seem to have plateaued after 2 weeks of restrictions (still about 5k a day). They have now brought in the military to enforce the lockdown even further.

Our lockdown is like a vacation compared to what other countries are resorting too.

You can say what we have in the US is not really considered a lockdown, at least not a real or full lockdown like what other countries are doing. The US has an order in place. But you’re right in the notion that other countries are dealing with this much more seriously than we are.

Italy is currently on their 3rd week of lockdown.

China was on full lockdown for 2 months.

Here in the US only been a week and a half of quarantine, not even a real lockdown, and Americans are already losing their minds.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Does the US have the highest case of “young adults” with Coronavirus to other countries? Saw on the news about 51% in CA alone are between 18-40, while the US as a whole was like 30% or something.

Guess there’s still lots of young adults in the US that are still not taking this seriously and they’re the ones now getting it.

They say Karma’s a bleep, but in this case, Karma’s a virus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:
i thought the title says no politics smh.. just shame everyone on this board who doesnt share the same opinions/views as you. makes sense.

Makes political comment about trump then cries no politics.......smh.

FYI Trump cannot "open" anything. It's up to the State Governers. I highly doubt Andrew Cuomo or Gavin Newsome are going to lift the shelter in place orders because Trump asks them to.

So your original sentiment is complete nonsense. Trump is not and never was in the driver seat.

Trump can say one thing, but I doubt opening in Easter will actually happen. It will be interesting to see if the big states like CA, NY, IL will follow through if it does. All depends on what will happen in these next couple weeks.

March 17, the US had just over 4,450 cases, that was just 1 week ago. But now this week it’s exponentially ballooned to over 60,000+ cases.

We’re only in the beginning of this Pandemic.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
there are wide areas of the country outside the top 20 metro areas where counts are very low. and 2 incubation periods is very significant. china only quarantined for 5 weeks though with a quarantine that we simply cannot emulate.

Just quoting this part of your post because the Trump stuff is what it is.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the two week incubation period is based on the appearance of symptoms right? But a significant portion of those with the virus don't have symptoms but can still pass it to others. Couple that with the limited testing. I think it's safe to say the virus has spread outside of the top 20 metro areas to a greater degree than those populations realize.

That's the thing with suppression. It works, the death counts are minimized. So people take it for granted.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
there are wide areas of the country outside the top 20 metro areas where counts are very low. and 2 incubation periods is very significant. china only quarantined for 5 weeks though with a quarantine that we simply cannot emulate.

Just quoting this part of your post because the Trump stuff is what it is.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the two week incubation period is based on the appearance of symptoms right? But a significant portion of those with the virus don't have symptoms but can still pass it to others. Couple that with the limited testing. I think it's safe to say the virus has spread outside of the top 20 metro areas to a greater degree than those populations realize.

That's the thing with suppression. It works, the death counts are minimized. So people take it for granted.

incubation period is 14 days. there are some asymptomatic cases. but there are asymptomatic cases everywhere.

in vast parts of the country, the case counts are very low. much lower than south korea when south korea went into quarantine etc. these areas went into social distancing at the same time as the hot spots in the metro areas. after 2 full incubation periods, those areas should be very very low. there will be exceptions, sure, but contact tracing should be able to manage those areas. of course, there will be exceptions due to incompetency. but i dont think the country can operate in a way that every area will be 100% safe. it will go broke long before that happens.

now the areas that need focus are the major metro areas. after 2 full incubation periods of social distancing, i highly doubt they will be fully controlled. especially nyc. and sf/la/seattle are in there also. what is troubling is cities like boston, philadephia, new orleans are starting to catch up to sf/la/seattle. in particular, new orleans sounds like it will be a big mess and someone posted that atlanta already out of icu beds.
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Anyone watch Game 7 of 2010 Finals last night? On the trophy presentation stage were.... Stuart Scott, David Stern, Kobe, Gigi and Dr Jerry Buss. That was a surreal moment.
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:
Anyone watch Game 7 of 2010 Finals last night? On the trophy presentation stage were.... Stuart Scott, David Stern, Kobe, Gigi and Dr Jerry Buss. That was a surreal moment.

yep it had me feeling many mixed emotions.
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject:

frank hamblen too i believe
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
A league source tells The Detroit News that #Pistons Christian Wood is almost cleared, after being one of the first NBA players to test positive for coronavirus.

The other 16 people (players and other staffers) who were tested all are negative and cleared quarantine today.

https://twitter.com/detnewsrodbeard/status/1242929182746836995?s=21
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
after 2 full incubation periods, those areas should be very very low. there will be exceptions, sure, but contact tracing should be able to manage those areas.

These shoulds have me worried. The virus can last 17 days on surfaces. Fauci seems hopeful we can find a treatment. And I think he's factoring that in to any timeline for stopping suppression.
Trump on the other hand ... not so much.
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
after 2 full incubation periods, those areas should be very very low. there will be exceptions, sure, but contact tracing should be able to manage those areas.

These shoulds have me worried. The virus can last 17 days on surfaces. Fauci seems hopeful we can find a treatment. And I think he's factoring that in to any timeline for stopping suppression.

where did you hear that?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Mamba81 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

where did you hear that?

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1242462822635798528?s=12
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

where did you hear that?

Does the cruise ship report imply that viruses survive up to 17 days on surfaces?

Dr Julia Marcus:
Quote:
A CDC investigation of the cruise ship found evidence of viral RNA in cabins that hadn’t yet been cleaned. But to be clear, that just means the virus was detectable – not that it was viable or that contact with those services would have been able to infect someone. (Editor’s note: RNA, or ribonucleic acid, carries the virus’s genetic information.)

https://tinyurl.com/wmbf5zn
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

where did you hear that?

That article is misleading, they should say that traces were found that cannot cause infection.
Quote:
Does the cruise ship report imply that viruses survive up to 17 days on surfaces?

Dr Julia Marcus: A CDC investigation of the cruise ship found evidence of viral RNA in cabins that hadn’t yet been cleaned. But to be clear, that just means the virus was detectable – not that it was viable or that contact with those services would have been able to infect someone. (Editor’s note: RNA, or ribonucleic acid, carries the virus’s genetic information.)

Dr Akiko Iwasaki: It just means that there are parts of the virus that still remain. The virus needs many other components to be intact. If you have bits and pieces of RNA, that’s not going to make a virus, you need an entire intact genome. Just because you had a little piece of RNA doesn’t mean that there’s an infection.

Source

Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject:

^^ i mean its typical of the media, misleading people
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

where did you hear that?

That article is misleading, they should say that traces were found that cannot cause infection.
Quote:

Dr Julia Marcus: A CDC investigation of the cruise ship found evidence of viral RNA in cabins that hadn’t yet been cleaned. But to be clear, that just means the virus was detectable – not that it was viable or that contact with those services would have been able to infect someone. (Editor’s note: RNA, or ribonucleic acid, carries the virus’s genetic information.)

Dr Akiko Iwasaki: It just means that there are parts of the virus that still remain. The virus needs many other components to be intact. If you have bits and pieces of RNA, that’s not going to make a virus, you need an entire intact genome. Just because you had a little piece of RNA doesn’t mean that there’s an infection.

Source

Thanks for clarifying. Looks like the max for infections from surfaces is 3 days.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

i actually dont believe fauci is factoring new drug treatments into the timeline. that is because nothing is proven.

everyone else including china and korea were able to deal with a good number of cases. so i think it is reasonable to believe that we can handle locations with far less infection numbers than those in korea and china with contact tracing.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
kikanga wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

i actually dont believe fauci is factoring new drug treatments into the timeline. that is because nothing is proven.

everyone else including china and korea were able to deal with a good number of cases. so i think it is reasonable to believe that we can handle locations with far less infection numbers than those in korea and china with contact tracing.

Both countries locked down provinces. In this scenario are you okay with restricting travel within the US. If it's even possible.

Last edited by kikanga on Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
kikanga wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

Both countries locked down provinces. In this scenario are you okay with restricting travel within the US. If it's even possible.

We could but we'd have to be prepared to see the streets full of humvees.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
kikanga wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

i was all for quarantining passengers from italy and korea in late february for 14 days. all you need to do is look back in the threads.

i am all for quarantining travelers from epicenters like nyc to other locations for 14 days.

and this has little effect on whether a farm town in nebraska can open up for business. and there are many states in the middle of the country that have a minimum numbers of cases. these states would have even much less issues after 4 weeks of social distancing by easter. contact tracing should be adequate for these states, assuming it is done diligently.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
kikanga wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
kikanga wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

We could but we'd have to be prepared to see the streets full of humvees.

Not to mention goods shipped from places. Low population areas like Shepherdsville, Ky. (under 15,000 population); Katy, Tx (under 20,000 population); Brownstown, Mich (around 30,000 population) have workers in Amazon facilities with COVID. And the workers who haven't been tested have expressed concerns Amazon isn't doing enough to protect them from the virus.
HermosaJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
If you want to jumpstart the economy get the president off his ass and force him to fire up the DPA Defense Production Act

Use prison labor for all I care.. just get (bleep) busy
Construct temporary Morgues and Crematoriums
Direct alllll cotton to Medical Supplies

Build temporary plants to produce Ventilators

Remove Trump from directing any of the funding or help.. he is a miserable representation of a fellow human being. He holds personal grudges and steals our tax dollars and denies Governors the help they need... NY and CO now.. CO.. my state so I have a right to be pissed off..

Stop with this fu-cking sh-it! Not the time for politics. We are all in this together.

Is even one thing I said untrue?

Change your name because you are FAR from an Inspiration.

So, I take that as a Nope. Everything I said was true.
When one cannot keep their cool because they cannot answer what do they do

Result to personal attacks..

Contagious........No, everything you said in NOT true, far from it.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:
i thought the title says no politics smh.. just shame everyone on this board who doesnt share the same opinions/views as you. makes sense.

Makes political comment about trump then cries no politics.......smh.

FYI Trump cannot "open" anything. It's up to the State Governers. I highly doubt Andrew Cuomo or Gavin Newsome are going to lift the shelter in place orders because Trump asks them to.

So your original sentiment is complete nonsense. Trump is not and never was in the driver seat.

Trump can say one thing, but I doubt opening in Easter will actually happen. It will be interesting to see if the big states like CA, NY, IL will follow through if it does. All depends on what will happen in these next couple weeks.

March 17, the US had just over 4,450 cases, that was just 1 week ago. But now this week it’s exponentially ballooned to over 60,000+ cases.

We’re only in the beginning of this Pandemic.

It’s grown exponentially that it looks like US will pass Italy by tomorrow or Friday for most confirmed cases
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:53 am    Post subject:

32,000 cases in New York alone. We are not 3 weeks away from this being over. I'm still in Thailand, but there are only 936 total cases here. My neighbor is from America also and we both agree it's better to stay here.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:58 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
32,000 cases in New York alone. We are not 3 weeks away from this being over. I'm still in Thailand, but there are only 936 total cases here. My neighbor is from America also and we both agree it's better to stay here.

Welcome to wherever you are
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 128, 129, 130  Next
Page 61 of 130
Jump to: