NBA Season COVID-19 Thread (**No politics or racial/ethnic remarks or personal insults**)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100 ... 128, 129, 130  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
safari_in_cali
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject:

I wonder how the NBA will determine who plays who in the last 8 games of the regular season. Also, what are they going to do about the fact that the teams played different number of games, for example, Portland (sitting at #9) played 66 games, while New Orleans (#10) and Sacramento (#11) only played 64 games each.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
King Randle wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1268197012329181184?s=21

Bundesliga has done pretty well without fans imo.

Crowd noise for the “home team” should be part of the advantage.

Also if you are allowing a play-in style tournament for the 8 seed, the top seed should get some sort of advantage. It wouldn’t be fair to have the 8 seed playing in rhythm at an intense level and with momentum and costs a cold top seed a series. Bucks and Lakers should be fighting this one.

LakersSD....That's always been my concern..so the 8th seed gets in by playing a few games...we're starting off cold...huge disadvantage for the higher seed. IMO it should be the play-off teams only...but a lot of this is about the $ so we'll see...There was talk about the higher seed having more possessions i.e. higher seed starts the game and every quarter with the ball etc.

If every team plays 8 games how can a team start off cold?

After the 8 games, the Lakers and the Bucks will be waiting to see who they draw.

Unless the play-in tournament is part of the 8 games.

The 8 seed is likely to have at least 3 win or go home games. That’s an advantage that shouldn’t happen while the team that was top dog all season is basically in preseason mode.

It’s not the same as traditional playoff race with the grind. It’s more March madness like.

It is no different than the top seed sweeping and the 4-5 series going 7. I could see if they didn’t play at all. Injuries will likely determine the winner so some time to get those initial bumps and bruises healed might actually help.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject:

Shams has tweeted a couple days ago that one of the proposals was to expand the playoff roster when it comes back. If the goes through up to how many players do you see teams being able to get?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
dcastillo wrote:
nutella wrote:
So... do I get this right?

All 22 games will play 8 games, which will still impact playoff seeding.

At the end of 8 games, and before the normal Playoff starts, if there are 8th and 9th seeds that are separated by 4 or fewer games, they will enter into a play-in tournament.

No detail on the play-in tournament, but I guess it can potentially be just one game between two teams if there are only two teams that meet the play-in criteria.

That’s what it seems like to me

Yes....there are talks on how to give the better teams a home court advantage like having more possessions etc. I will say, I can't wait for this to get started...but it will be somewhat anticlimactic if say the Lakers win it and there are no fans to celebrate. I wonder if by October things will be better regarding fans...even in a limited basis.

Those home court changes would take it from a semi-legit playoffs to a farce.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
King Randle wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1268197012329181184?s=21

Bundesliga has done pretty well without fans imo.

Crowd noise for the “home team” should be part of the advantage.

Also if you are allowing a play-in style tournament for the 8 seed, the top seed should get some sort of advantage. It wouldn’t be fair to have the 8 seed playing in rhythm at an intense level and with momentum and costs a cold top seed a series. Bucks and Lakers should be fighting this one.

LakersSD....That's always been my concern..so the 8th seed gets in by playing a few games...we're starting off cold...huge disadvantage for the higher seed. IMO it should be the play-off teams only...but a lot of this is about the $ so we'll see...There was talk about the higher seed having more possessions i.e. higher seed starts the game and every quarter with the ball etc.

If every team plays 8 games how can a team start off cold?

After the 8 games, the Lakers and the Bucks will be waiting to see who they draw.

Unless the play-in tournament is part of the 8 games.

The 8 seed is likely to have at least 3 win or go home games. That’s an advantage that shouldn’t happen while the team that was top dog all season is basically in preseason mode.

It’s not the same as traditional playoff race with the grind. It’s more March madness like.

It is no different than the top seed sweeping and the 4-5 series going 7. I could see if they didn’t play at all. Injuries will likely determine the winner so some time to get those initial bumps and bruises healed might actually help.

We will find out the details tomorrow or later this week.

The reason why I feel it’s different is because all teams have had what would be something like 4 months break. Part of the advantage in a traditional season is the fatigue the teams fighting for those final playoff spots.

It is what it is. I just think a team “fighting” to make the top 8 in this scenario is going to reap some advantages of gaining momentum while still being fresh from the 4 month layoff.

Basically if you are a top seed and you aren’t in rhythm it’s very likely you could be facing an early 2-0 series deficit and then the pressure is on.

If you can’t overcome it, you don’t deserve to win. At the same time this is a bit of a break for the lower seeds.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject:

dcastillo wrote:
Shams has tweeted a couple days ago that one of the proposals was to expand the playoff roster when it comes back. If the goes through up to how many players do you see teams being able to get?

I hope that's true. Bring Boogie back in case Javale has any issues playing since he has asthma.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject:

the fewer gimmicks the better IMO re: HCA
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

Yes....there are talks on how to give the better teams a home court advantage like having more possessions etc. I will say, I can't wait for this to get started...but it will be somewhat anticlimactic if say the Lakers win it and there are no fans to celebrate. I wonder if by October things will be better regarding fans...even in a limited basis.

I don't think it will be anticlimactic. For me, the playoffs has always been a TV event. If there are no fans, that's OK. By the finals, we will all be used to watching the games without a laugh track.

Ultimately, I predict the NBA won't give any artificial home court advantage. Teams will just have to go out and play. Such is life.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject:

If a player tests positive for the virus, the league's intent would be to remove that player from the team to quarantine and treat individually -- and continue to test other team members as they play on, sources said.

hopefully lebron and AD already had covid and recovered and have antibodies so that they can play entire playoffs!!!!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
dcastillo wrote:

I hope that's true. Bring Boogie back in case Javale has any issues playing since he has asthma.

First, you'd have to ascertain that Boogie was even in a condition to play. You wouldn't add him to the roster just for his name value.
safari_in_cali
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:

I got an idea on how to implement the HCA without any gimmicks. Make the playoff series the best of 5 for the team with HCA, and the best of 7 for the other team. In other words, the team with HCA only has to win 3 games to win the series, while the opponent has to win 4 games to win the series. Maybe not for the conference finals and NBA finals, but at least for the first playoff round.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject:

So rumors are the the schedules will go by where it was left off...if it’s not one of the 22 teams you move on to the next scheduled game vs. one of the 22 participants.

https://twitter.com/tomerazarly/status/1268251050445664256?s=21

Lakers 8 games would be pretty rough:

Quote:
The Clippers (44-20) currently sit in the second seed behind the Lakers (49-14). This is what the Lakers' schedule would be:

vs. Houston Rockets
vs. Denver Nuggets
vs. Utah Jazz
vs. Utah Jazz
vs. Toronto Raptors
vs. Washinton Wizards
vs. Indiana Pacers
vs. Sacramento Kings
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
So rumors are the the schedules will go by where it was left off...if it’s not one of the 22 teams you move on to the next scheduled game vs. one of the 22 participants.

Quote:
The Clippers (44-20) currently sit in the second seed behind the Lakers (49-14). This is what the Lakers' schedule would be:

vs. Houston Rockets
vs. Denver Nuggets
vs. Utah Jazz
vs. Utah Jazz
vs. Toronto Raptors
vs. Washinton Wizards
vs. Indiana Pacers
vs. Sacramento Kings

I get the logic if the other 8 teams just fell off, but since this is virus centric wouldn't it be better to not dive right into mingling players more than needed? They could do 4 sets of two at least. I understand that we're learning more but even testing before every game if something leaks through it would be easier to try and contain. Are whole coaching staffs as well?
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject:

Are they seeding postseason 1-16 or maintaining conference playoffs?

I was a big fan of trying the 1-16 seeding this year. Felt like the perfect time to see how it performed in the market.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Quote:

vs. Houston Rockets
vs. Denver Nuggets
vs. Utah Jazz
vs. Utah Jazz
vs. Toronto Raptors
vs. Washinton Wizards
vs. Indiana Pacers
vs. Sacramento Kings

I guess schedules should be rougher in general since the bottom teams are removed. Probably a good thing to have some competition before the playoffs. Lakers aren't in major risk of dropping from the top seed. And it's pretty irrelevant who has the best record between the Bucks/Lakers since there is no home court advantage.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject:

safari_in_cali wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

I got an idea on how to implement the HCA without any gimmicks. Make the playoff series the best of 5 for the team with HCA, and the best of 7 for the other team. In other words, the team with HCA only has to win 3 games to win the series, while the opponent has to win 4 games to win the series. Maybe not for the conference finals and NBA finals, but at least for the first playoff round.

Basically, what you're saying is play a 7 game series, but give the team with the HCA an automatic win in game #1.

That's way too much.

The advantage the team gets in the first round is they get to play the worse team in the playoffs. That's enough to me. If the Bucks or Lakers need a HCA to win, they don't deserve to be champions.
safari_in_cali
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
safari_in_cali wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

Basically, what you're saying is play a 7 game series, but give the team with the HCA an automatic win in game #1.

That's way too much.

The advantage the team gets in the first round is they get to play the worse team in the playoffs. That's enough to me. If the Bucks or Lakers need a HCA to win, they don't deserve to be champions.

No, that's not what I was saying. What I meant is that if the team with HCA first reaches 3 wins, the series ends, but if the opponent first reaches 3 wins, the series continues until someone wins 4 games. Does it make sense?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject:

Since we were a pretty good road team this year, I actually like this. I do not think the Lakers played particularly better at home than road. In fact, opposite. I thought they were more focused on the road.

This is all about us peaking at the right time now. Whichever team is at its peak will make a run.

But the pandemic is the real wild card. Someone gets sick on your team, you are without a player for at least 2 weeks of the playoffs and many more on the team could be ruled out.

It will certainly be an * season similar to the Spurs 99 run, but I am fine with this. Just watching UFC is not enough. We need sports.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
nutella
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject:

safari_in_cali wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

HCA for a win seems a bit much. Maybe one extra timeout per half (per game seems too little)?
nutella
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Since we were a pretty good road team this year, I actually like this. I do not think the Lakers played particularly better at home than road. In fact, opposite. I thought they were more focused on the road.

This is all about us peaking at the right time now. Whichever team is at its peak will make a run.

But the pandemic is the real wild card. Someone gets sick on your team, you are without a player for at least 2 weeks of the playoffs and many more on the team could be ruled out.

It will certainly be an * season similar to the Spurs 99 run, but I am fine with this. Just watching UFC is not enough. We need sports.

With the way it spreads, if a person gets it, doesn't that potentially wipe out the rest of team (and the opponent he played against) too?
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject:

I knew they'd be back. Never lost faith.

Now go win another ring.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject:

nutella wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

With the way it spreads, if a person gets it, doesn't that potentially wipe out the rest of team (and the opponent he played against) too?

They're going to have to be millitant with who can be there. If guys gotta be away from their families and even elderly coaches and at risk players told they can't be there then so be it. I'm not hip enough to incubation time, but in theory I'd assume if one tests positive it may take a few games for other players to get it. Imagine what that's going to look like wondering if your team with a 2-0 lead will keep enough players to go on or if it passes to a star after one guy tests positive after game one.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject:

safari_in_cali wrote:
I wonder how the NBA will determine who plays who in the last 8 games of the regular season. Also, what are they going to do about the fact that the teams played different number of games, for example, Portland (sitting at #9) played 66 games, while New Orleans (#10) and Sacramento (#11) only played 64 games each.

There are random schedule programs that the league can use. I guess teams will just have to live with some playing more games than others.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject:

safari_in_cali wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

That is a gimmick. If the higher seed can’t beat a lower seed without gimmicks then they don’t deserve to win. But based on your idea, has there been mention of how long series will go? I would guess 7 games so that TV money is maximized.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject:

safari_in_cali wrote:
activeverb wrote:
safari_in_cali wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

That's way too much.

No, that's not what I was saying. What I meant is that if the team with HCA first reaches 3 wins, the series ends, but if the opponent first reaches 3 wins, the series continues until someone wins 4 games. Does it make sense?

it does make sense but I think verb is right in that it is, practically speaking, a free win for the HCA win

now simply making the first round a best of five is something I'd be on board with, but that's different

I agree that getting to play the lowest possible seed in the first round is sufficient – obviously unfortunate but still preferable to gimmicks that might diminish the championship
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100 ... 128, 129, 130  Next
Page 99 of 130
Jump to: