Season is over (personal opinion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
activeverb wrote:
KOBE WAN wrote:
Judah wrote:
I don't care how "weird" it would feel once the games are back. Finish this season once it's possible to play again. You can't just throw one whole season down the drain with no conclusion. I'm open to any and all options. Just finish this season.

you know Silver would love to get a championship for Lebron or Giannis so just go straight to Finals. Robert Horry jumped on that train. honestly if they did a conference finals then finals playoff, that would be awesome. But if anyone contracts the virus and then they cancel the rest of the series, it'd be a nightmare. I don't think they can risk not having a Finals. So just go straight there. this is an abnormal year.

I don't see why is Silver would care if LeBron or Giannis get the championship over any other player

The media wants lebron to win, but Silver doesn't care. Silver works for all the owners, not just the Lakers or lebron. That's why I don't believe anything coming out of the media right now, because I know most of them are just thinking about lebron and not the safety and well being of fans, workers or the league. It's a hard pill to swallow, but I'm about 80% sure that they're going to have to cancel the season. This thing could easily go another 3-4 months before people are able to gather in large groups.

Media is diverse, and I am sure there are diverse opinions. I suspect reporters who cover individual teams hope the teams they cover get into the finals because that's better for them. I suspect many of the national media don't really care -- there is always a good story to tell. I'm sure the network who holds the TV rights would prefer Lebron to get in because he's a good draw.

I have no idea what will happen with the NBA season, and honestly I can't say I care very much. More important things to focus on.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
South Korea has done as good a job as any country of containing coronavirus -- and now, baseball is being played there, with opening day slated for late April. At ESPN, a look inside how Korea is doing it, through the eyes of Americans playing ball there: es.pn/34d3B4F

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1247150341126328321?s=21

Is this good news for those who want to see the NBA resume? Maybe we are waiting for China to resume sports before we do the same thing.

I can't imagine any of this will affect what we do.

Sports (and other large gatherings) will depend on the situation in this country.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
South Korea has done as good a job as any country of containing coronavirus -- and now, baseball is being played there, with opening day slated for late April. At ESPN, a look inside how Korea is doing it, through the eyes of Americans playing ball there: es.pn/34d3B4F

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1247150341126328321?s=21

Is this good news for those who want to see the NBA resume? Maybe we are waiting for China to resume sports before we do the same thing.

They are wearing masks and baseball is more stationary, but I still think they could resume basketball too but logistically they need agreement on 1 place and for sure no fans. Also have to be willing to play into August, if not September. By the time decision is made, you need to give a 2 week minimum ramp up. That’s already sometime mid June to late June.

Playoffs probably start mid July-ish and you need a month or maybe 1.5 months from start to finish.

We have to remember that unless the various stakeholders agree differently, this season ends June 30.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/greenroominside/status/1247226795323056137?s=21
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Let’s Gooooo!! I knew Windhorst was full of it, there is no way they were gonna cancel the season to much money on the line and people need to cheer for something to brighten the mood and sports is the only thing that brings us together especially in these tough times.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Let’s Gooooo!! I knew Windhorst was full of it, there is no way they were gonna cancel the season to much money on the line and people need to cheer for something to brighten the mood and sports is the only thing that brings us together especially in these tough times.

I don't see why its so farfetched they cancelled nearly every other sporting event that makes just as much if not more than the NBA does because of this. I'll believe it when I see it.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject:

[quote="kwase"]
activeverb wrote:
KOBE WAN wrote:
Judah wrote:
I don't care how "weird" it would feel once the games are back. Finish this season once it's possible to play again. You can't just throw one whole season down the drain with no conclusion. I'm open to any and all options. Just finish this season.

you know Silver would love to get a championship for Lebron or Giannis so just go straight to Finals. Robert Horry jumped on that train. honestly if they did a conference finals then finals playoff, that would be awesome. But if anyone contracts the virus and then they cancel the rest of the series, it'd be a nightmare. I don't think they can risk not having a Finals. So just go straight there. this is an abnormal year.

I don't see why is Silver would care if LeBron or Giannis get the championship over any other player

The media wants lebron to win, but Silver doesn't care. Silver works for all the owners, not just the Lakers or lebron. That's why I don't believe anything coming out of the media right now, because I know most of them are just thinking about lebron and not the safety and well being of fans, workers or the league. It's a hard pill to swallow, but I'm about 80% sure that they're going to have to cancel the season. This thing could easily go another 3-4 months before people are able to gather in large groups.[/quote

Silver wants the same thing don't get it twisted however I agree I don't believe most things coming from the media either...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

I don't see why its so farfetched they cancelled nearly every other sporting event that makes just as much if not more than the NBA does because of this. I'll believe it when I see it.

At this point its out of the sports leagues hands....it will be up to the government if its safe to gather large amounts of people in a small confined area without readily available treatment for this virus.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject:

BREAKING NEWS: The NBA and NBPA have been collaborating in assessing rapid-response testing devices that in theory could yield accurate results within minutes, a process that represents a critical step toward potentially resuming play

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29003625/nba-players-union-assessing-potential-covid-rapid-test-options?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

At this point its out of the sports leagues hands....it will be up to the government if its safe to gather large amounts of people in a small confined area without readily available treatment for this virus.

I give it a 0% chance with fans. It’s going to have to be with no fans just like wrestlemania this weekend.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Plus empty arenas don’t amount to much revenue
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Plus empty arenas don’t amount to much revenue

It’s actually predominantly in the TV deals and revenue sharing. The NHL is the only league that still relies heavily on gate revenue. Their TV deal is peanuts compared to NBA, MLB and NFL.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
<b>BREAKING NEWS</b>: The NBA and NBPA have been collaborating in assessing rapid-response testing devices that in theory could yield accurate results within minutes, a process that represents a critical step toward potentially resuming play

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29003625/nba-players-union-assessing-potential-covid-rapid-test-options?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Yet this is probably not something the public will ever get I'm sure. Regardless there are states with Stay at Home orders and players who have families etc that they won't want to be apart from.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
<b><b>BREAKING NEWS</b></b>: The NBA and NBPA have been collaborating in assessing rapid-response testing devices that in theory could yield accurate results within minutes, a process that represents a critical step toward potentially resuming play

Yet this is probably not something the public will ever get I'm sure. Regardless there are states with Stay at Home orders and players who have families etc that they won't want to be apart from.

Obviously, there would be much more important uses of a rapid test than the NBA.

Health care workers, people who work in supermarkets, and other essential services should get testing before NBA players.

In fact, would be offended if the NBA got access to this before other people who have more important jobs right now.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
<b><b><b>BREAKING NEWS</b></b></b>: The NBA and NBPA have been collaborating in assessing rapid-response testing devices that in theory could yield accurate results within minutes, a process that represents a critical step toward potentially resuming play

Obviously, there would be much more important uses of a rapid test than the NBA.

Health care workers, people who work in supermarkets, and other essential services should get testing before NBA players.

In fact, would be offended if the NBA got access to this before other people who have more important jobs right now.

Good point indeed as I would be offended too.

Right now Abbott labs (the company that makes the tests) claims they can make 5 million in the month of April. At that amount, they should in theory have enough for everyone..lets see.

https://abbott.mediaroom.com/2020-03-27-Abbott-Launches-Molecular-Point-of-Care-Test-to-Detect-Novel-Coronavirus-in-as-Little-as-Five-Minutes
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:26 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1247380341515530240?s=21

Some encouraging news.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Some encouraging news.

Yup...I'm of the opinion they're going to have a season...more than likely without fans, but i could be wrong...viewership would still be high so sponsors will fork up advertisements. There's a lot of BS info coming out that honestly is irresponsible. For example 240 million dead from this virus in the next 2 weeks in the US alone is a flat out lie....We're at 10,000 now after a month...so we're to assume 230 million more in 2 weeks...Okay
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Some encouraging news.

Yup...I'm of the opinion they're going to have a season...more than likely without fans, but i could be wrong...viewership would still be high so sponsors will fork up advertisements. There's a lot of BS info coming out that honestly is irresponsible. For example 240 million dead from this virus in the next 2 weeks in the US alone is a flat out lie....We're at 10,000 now after a month...so we're to assume 230 million more in 2 weeks...Okay

Sorry meant to say 240,000. Still flat out BS.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/getupespn/status/1247527789256830978?s=21
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
King Randle wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Some encouraging news.

Sorry meant to say 240,000. Still flat out BS.

You could be right King Randle and I am a bit upset on how the people putting out these projections aren't letting people know about what the underlying assumptions are. I discussed this in another trend, but the simulation and mathematical modeling using so-called sciences relies on 2 assumptions..which I copied and paste from the other trend below.

To explain further, the modeling is only as accurate as so far how closely it resembles these 2 assumptions. I am sure someone will argue with me (as some already have), that will the population is close enough to these assumptions that the projections should still be benefacial. These projections are only benefacial in the sense they bring seriousness to the situation and perhaps we need people to "overact" just in case.

The problem is this, lets say age distrubution is almost "normal" and lets say mixing is almost homogeneous within 1% error. So if you calculate your projection for the 1st day, you only have a 1% error. The second day you have a 2% error. 3rd 3% error. So as you project further and further out, your error rate can be >100%. That is the problem with these projections

The 2 assumptions are below with a link to modeling on wikipedia

1. Rectangular and stationary age distribution
2. Homogeneous mixing of the population, i.e., individuals of the population under scrutiny assort and make contact at random and do not mix mostly in a smaller subgroup. This assumption is rarely justified because social structure is widespread

Assumption 1. Hard to tell at least in Italy is thought to have a higher proportion of older people so the distribution of age isn't exactly even or following a so-called normal distribution

Assumption 2.

Also hard to tell. Here the the assumption for the virus is lets say at a certain point in time, the probability of encountering someone with the virus is 1/1000. So lets say everyone has 5 contacts in a given day..than after 200 days, that person on average would get the virus.

Will social structure aren't necessarily homogenous with people making contact at random. Some people and even groups have much higher points of contact than others. For example this could explain why a higher proportion of government, sports stars, actors have been reported to be positive. These people interact with a lot of different people and, thus, if the probability of encounter someone with a virus is 1/1000, they may have 100 contacts a day..meaning after 10 days, they get the virus (compare to above where it took 200 days on average). And this doesn't have to be stars..as any number of people can have a high number of social contacts that aren't stars or anyone famous.

This was explained by Malcolm Gladwell in "Tipping point"

So the issue with the simulation is the 2nd assumption may in fact not be true and, thus, making the numbers inaccurate.

However, the report does serve a purpose in emphasizing the seriousness of the situation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_modelling_of_infectious_disease
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/worldwidewob/status/1248652731004391426?s=21

How surreal would this be 👀
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject:

I’m not against testing NBA players before others get tested. It would be easier to carry out and the more testing we do, the better. This is a difficult, stressful time for a lot of people and professional sports does give people a distraction from all the negative stuff that has been going on.

People being able to watch sports can also increase the number of people that stay indoors.

Quote:
While Americans indicated they were in no rush to fill stadiums and arenas, they clearly miss their sports with 76 percent saying they would watch broadcasts of the games with the same interest as before, with only 16 percent saying they would be less interested.

LINK
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/worldwidewob/status/1248652731004391426?s=21

How surreal would this be 👀

With the way this year has gone not that surreal
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject:

I’m going to be a petty whiny Laker fan for a second
Kobe
Coronavirus

Yalll don’t realize how much the losing and suck age over the last 7 years got to me. To finally be back. To be a contender.

Only for first Bean to go. Was barely getting back on track.
Lake show beats Clippers Giannis. Yep we are legit ready now. Rondo and all.
Then Covid19 ending the season (won’t be back imo)

Of course just a sport ... but love I have for Lakers so strong. Was so excited to the franchise do well.

Who knows if LBJ, Dwight, etc all can stay healthy next season, or if AD can avoid a major injury. This was a great great shot we had. (bleep) 2020 been awful so far.

^
None of that is at all to say the real fight that is going on is anything at all to be taken lightly, just need to vent as a Laker fan.

Argh!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I’m going to be a petty whiny Laker fan for a second
Kobe
Coronavirus

Yalll don’t realize how much the losing and suck age over the last 7 years got to me. To finally be back. To be a contender.

Only for first Bean to go. Was barely getting back on track.
Lake show beats Clippers Giannis. Yep we are legit ready now. Rondo and all.
Then Covid19 ending the season (won’t be back imo)

Of course just a sport ... but love I have for Lakers so strong. Was so excited to the franchise do well.

Who knows if LBJ, Dwight, etc all can stay healthy next season, or if AD can avoid a major injury. This was a great great shot we had. (bleep) 2020 been awful so far.

^
None of that is at all to say the real fight that is going on is anything at all to be taken lightly, just need to vent as a Laker fan.

Argh!!!!!!

I agree 2020 has been a bad year but I don’t think the season is gonna get canceled there are to many people trying to salvage the season and it seems like the players and GMs all are on the same page in terms of wanting the season resumed.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 9 of 22
Jump to: