Season is over (personal opinion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
GTL wrote:
Simply put, I think the season is over. It's been too much. From Kobe's passing to this.

I think the opposite. I think they will wait a bit, test all the players, and play the playoff games in empty arenas. As long as they feel they can do that with minimal risk, they're going to take the TV money

Staging some kind of bastardized playoffs just for a payday would be pathetic. The league might get some revenue but for all intents, the season is over.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
GTL wrote:
Simply put, I think the season is over. It's been too much. From Kobe's passing to this.

I think the opposite. I think they will wait a bit, test all the players, and play the playoff games in empty arenas. As long as they feel they can do that with minimal risk, they're going to take the TV money

Staging some kind of bastardized playoffs just for a payday would be pathetic. The league might get some revenue but for all intents, the season is over.

I have no idea what you mean by bastardized playoffs. There been Seasons where they shortened the regular season and had a regular playoffs, which is what I would expect to happen
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject:

They weren’t regular playoffs if there was no regular season. They were amended to fit the circumstances in order to make a profit. I have no problem with owners wanting to profit but I don’t have to support it. We will see but there is already talk of shortening the season, shortening early playoff rounds. Not at all normal.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
GTL wrote:

I have no idea what you mean by bastardized playoffs. There been Seasons where they shortened the regular season and had a regular playoffs, which is what I would expect to happen

Depending on who wins, he will be either in support or against the playoffs. TBD. #goalposts
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
GTL wrote:

Agreed..happened during the work stoppage....it was actually exciting going through the stretch drive. There maybe an asterisk attached to the season but if they resume in April like Cuban thinks it should still be fun.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject:

XTC wrote:
China’s league will re-start on April 2nd after they suspended it back in early February. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the NBA start up again in June or July with a play-in for some bubble teams and an abbreviated playoff /championship schedule.

I think this will be the case. Have the 8th and 9th seeds as they currently stand hold a 5-game play-in round and maybe scale the first round back to 5 games, as well.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/1238108361301860353?s=21
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
They weren’t regular playoffs if there was no regular season. They were amended to fit the circumstances in order to make a profit. I have no problem with owners wanting to profit but I don’t have to support it. We will see but there is already talk of shortening the season, shortening early playoff rounds. Not at all normal.

LOL how dramatic.

There's absolutely no problem in playing like 66 or 70 games in the regular season and then proceeding to the playoffs
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject:

Nothing is going to stop LeBron's chance at bringing a chip back to LA. Not even a global pandemic. In the fine words of Mortimer Duke... Turn those machines back on!
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject:

BruceLeroy1985 wrote:
methdxman wrote:
Tried to stay positive once the news came out, but sadly, the season is likely over.

I still don't think most Americans know how serious this is, because everything in America is only seen through the lens of politics or race. Sorry, guys, we (I'm an American who lives abroad) only see (bleep) through race and politics.

So for Sars-Cov-2 the country will once again be divided when what's really needed is unity and a sense of community at a time like this. We know that won't happen. Trump is only trying to protect his re-election and if things go sour Dems will blame Trump for not taking care of things. So this outbreak in the US won't be contained like it was in China, S. Korea. Granted, the US has the best doctors and scientists in the world, but that's not the major factor in controlling this thing. It's about COORDINATION.

Average people all over the country should be staying at home. We can't be living our normal lives.

Everyone in Asia and even Europe now are sacrificing EVERYTHING to make sure a significant proportion of their population don't die. It's not even about Covid not being serious, if you're a young person out and about you will risk infecting others.

Another thing is most people don't realize how at-risk they are. It's in the raw data. Overweight people, people with chronic conditions, and older people are at serious risk of complications due to this virus. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of FACT and DATA from multiple countries that have more experience with this.

43% of Americans are obese. In terms of chronic disease, hypertension, diabetes, etc... don't get me started. The US is in for a rude awakening.

NBA season is over guys. Too much brand damage having games played with empty stadiums.

The ONLY hope they have is to delay until this blows over and re-set the starting date of the nba season to beginning part of the year from now on. The problem is, in the US this is gonna last a long, long time, and by October we'll have cold weather again. And by then, how much change will we have seen in terms of behavior? Not much.
((LET'S KEEP THIS FREE FROM POLITICS, PLEASE - JMK))

Wow, are you serious? What is closing the borders going to do? The virus is already here. It's not being brought in by other people. Stop trying to pin this on minorities when the virus does not care what race or ethnicity you are. Again, it's already here and closing the borders does nothing.

And Trump has not been that responsive. Where are all the test kits? Why can't normal people get tested to see if they have the virus. We had months of China trying to contain the virus and the Trump administration sat back and did nothing. The US should have been better prepared and good leadership makes sure that happens. You can try to argue that this is not all his fault, but a competent leader would have done more than he has done.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
BruceLeroy1985 wrote:
methdxman wrote:
Tried to stay positive once the news came out, but sadly, the season is likely over.

I still don't think most Americans know how serious this is, because everything in America is only seen through the lens of politics or race. Sorry, guys, we (I'm an American who lives abroad) only see (bleep) through race and politics.

So for Sars-Cov-2 the country will once again be divided when what's really needed is unity and a sense of community at a time like this. We know that won't happen. Trump is only trying to protect his re-election and if things go sour Dems will blame Trump for not taking care of things. So this outbreak in the US won't be contained like it was in China, S. Korea. Granted, the US has the best doctors and scientists in the world, but that's not the major factor in controlling this thing. It's about COORDINATION.

Average people all over the country should be staying at home. We can't be living our normal lives.

Everyone in Asia and even Europe now are sacrificing EVERYTHING to make sure a significant proportion of their population don't die. It's not even about Covid not being serious, if you're a young person out and about you will risk infecting others.

Another thing is most people don't realize how at-risk they are. It's in the raw data. Overweight people, people with chronic conditions, and older people are at serious risk of complications due to this virus. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of FACT and DATA from multiple countries that have more experience with this.

43% of Americans are obese. In terms of chronic disease, hypertension, diabetes, etc... don't get me started. The US is in for a rude awakening.

NBA season is over guys. Too much brand damage having games played with empty stadiums.

The ONLY hope they have is to delay until this blows over and re-set the starting date of the nba season to beginning part of the year from now on. The problem is, in the US this is gonna last a long, long time, and by October we'll have cold weather again. And by then, how much change will we have seen in terms of behavior? Not much.

Wow, are you serious? What is closing the borders going to do? The virus is already here. It's not being brought in by other people. Stop trying to pin this on minorities when the virus does not care what race or ethnicity you are. Again, it's already here and closing the borders does nothing.

And Trump has not been that responsive. Where are all the test kits? Why can't normal people get tested to see if they have the virus. We had months of China trying to contain the virus and the Trump administration sat back and did nothing. The US should have been better prepared and good leadership makes sure that happens. You can try to argue that this is not all his fault, but a competent leader would have done more than he has done.

Don't make this political...Fact..This started in China...they lied about it...underestimated it and here were are....that's it....there's no vaccine...that's the problem....please stop being irresponsible and look for blame. Started in China...they should have put a stop on all out of the country travel..period.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject:

People without any medical or public health training should refrain from commenting much on this topic, what I've already seen posted here is not helpful and is generally pretty uninformed
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Zhengi wrote:
BruceLeroy1985 wrote:
methdxman wrote:

Don't make this political...Fact..This started in China...they lied about it...underestimated it and here were are....that's it....there's no vaccine...that's the problem....please stop being irresponsible and look for blame. Started in China...they should have put a stop on all out of the country travel..period.

Here are other facts. The virus is already here. Americans are already infected. What is closing the border going to do? People are only promoting hatred by continuing to put this on minorities. Real people in society get hurt by this ignorance and hatred.

The US response was botched. Who is the leader of the country? Trump. Competent leadership matters.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Zhengi wrote:
BruceLeroy1985 wrote:
methdxman wrote:

Here are other facts. The virus is already here. Americans are already infected. What is closing the border going to do? People are only promoting hatred by continuing to put this on minorities. Real people in society get hurt by this ignorance and hatred.

The US response was botched. Who is the leader of the country? Trump. Competent leadership matters.

Closing the border is smart...takes away more infected people coming in and infecting others...its a precaution just like not going to events. Let's hope and advocate for solutions not casting blame. Absolutely leadership matters...closing the borders and not allowing any international flights coming in from infected countries any beyond is smart as well. This is not about minorities. It's about protecting the people of the US and finding a damn vaccine.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject:

It took China 2 months to be back in normal, so since we are the more advanced country, we should contain this sooner than that. I think the season will resume in May
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject:

China isn’t back to normal
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
It took China 2 months to be back in normal, so since we are the more advanced country, we should contain this sooner than that. I think the season will resume in May

It took China 2 months because their government exercised absolute power, which basically meant internment for millions and millions of their citizens with full control over their: location, housing, meals, communication, interaction (physical and electronic), healthcare.
The "Advanced" part had less to do with it.
LakersARETheGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject:

l4kerz wrote:
it'll be an asterisk year

Pretty much, lowkey starting to get pissed
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Zhengi wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Zhengi wrote:
BruceLeroy1985 wrote:
methdxman wrote:

Closing the border is smart...takes away more infected people coming in and infecting others...its a precaution just like not going to events. Let's hope and advocate for solutions not casting blame. Absolutely leadership matters...closing the borders and not allowing any international flights coming in from infected countries any beyond is smart as well. This is not about minorities. It's about protecting the people of the US and finding a damn vaccine.

Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Trump’s 30-day ban on European visitors is a terrible strategy for fighting the COVID-19 pandemic, health experts said, because it ignores the simple fact that the virus is already spreading through American communities.

“I do not anticipate this will be effective in the least,” Harvard epidemiologist Dr. Michael Mina told VICE News shortly after Trump’s surprise Wednesday night announcement. “Ultimately, this ban demonstrates his continued cognitive dissonance about the reality that coronavirus is along a trajectory of exponential growth in the United States.”

Trump's Travel Ban Is ‘Completely Incoherent,’ Health Experts Say

Quote:
The problem, experts say, is that the virus has already entered America’s shores, and we’re already seeing “community spreading” of the virus — that is, people with no international travel and no links to known cases are now getting the virus, implying they were exposed locally by an unknown source.

Altogether, this was an extraordinary move, but one that may do little to stop or mitigate the spread of coronavirus — while potentially damaging the US’s already somewhat strained relationship with its European allies.

“Germs don’t respect borders, and you can’t wall off every place in the world,” Lawrence Gostin, director of the O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law at Georgetown University Law School, told me.

“There’s a fine line between the president’s pro-US, anti-internationalist position where he thinks that he can restrict his borders on things like trade or immigration,” he added. “That doesn’t work with a germ — particularly with a germ that’s already here.”

Trump’s Europe travel ban might not do much to stop the coronavirus’s spread in the US

Quote:
Thomas Bossert, a former Trump Homeland Security adviser, also questioned the value of the travel restrictions. Bossert tweeted that it was a "poor use of time & energy. Earlier, yes. Now, travel restrictions/screening are less useful. We have nearly as much disease here in the US as the countries in Europe. We MUST focus on layered community mitigation measures-Now!"

USA Today Coronavirus Updates

Anything else you say is really just promoting fear mongering and hatred of minorities. Like I said, the virus is already here. We have high profile people like Gobert and Marshall who have been infected and possibly spread the virus even further through their contact with hundreds if not thousands of people. Containment of the virus by keeping people out is useless.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject:

l4kerz wrote:
it'll be an asterisk year

Maybe, but this was out of the league's hands.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject:

In my opinion the American government should start implementing a public healthcare system to fight this virus like in other countries. But well, this is my view as a non-American.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject:

Let's all take a deep breath here. I was in China a month ago and I didn't catch it. You can't just shut down a country like China for something like this. You think the economy is taking a hit now, shut down all travel to/from China and watch it nosedive. We'll get in under control, no need to panic.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:

This thread isn't about when the USA can get back to "normal" which will take a long time.

It's about the likelihood of the NBA being able to conduct a televised playoff in empty arenas. That's primarily a matter of risk assessment of this one specific situation.

I have no guess when the season will resume because there are still too many unknowns.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject:

National leadership in this crisis is sorely lacking. Stocks are crashing today due to a lack of credibility in the US's ability to prioritize this pandemic. And there's a reason for the public to be concerned about our response that goes far beyond political posturing.

Closing incoming flights from mainland Europe may be a step, but the problem is, this virus is already here. And we have no idea how widespread it is. Testing kits are still not available for nearly the number of people who want to or need to be tested. The 1,300 figure being thrown out there as infected right now is based on people tested in a situation where most people can't get tested. A lot of people who have this bug therefore are not being tracked or quarantined.

Insurance companies hold the purse strings for treatment, and until yesterday, even getting tested. As it stands, the uninsured can't afford treatment and there are a lot of uninsured/underinsured Americans.

Many companies don't accommodate paid leave for more than a few days. This puts a lot of people into the unfortunate choice - do I self quarantine so I don't spread this virus, or do I keep my job?

A vaccine to treat this in time? That's a pipe dream. 2021 is likely if testing goes extremely well, but by then many of us will have already had this bug if we don't take serious preventive measures.

The US isn't taking anywhere close to the kind of actions Asian countries have taken to contain this virus, which is much more like pneumonia than 'just a flu.' So don't get complacent because China plateaued. They took drastic measures to get there. Italy didn't early on, until they realized how badly this thing could spread, then their hospitals were overrun and they pretty much had to shut the whole country down. Are we doing any better in prevention than Italy? How do we know we don't have the same situation in store for us if we're not testing? Think about it.

The CDC has declared this a global pandemic, it's contagious enough that, if not contained, 60% of the population could get this bug, and it appears that, where testing is adequate, the fatality rate might be as low as 1%, with a big margin for error, and highly skewed towards older people and people with any complicating medical conditions. If you do the math, that's a million if not several million Americans potentially dying from this bug, based on their guidance. That's where comments from posters trying to downplay this get very annoying.

The best prevention is to take this seriously and expect all of the steps above to get some serious attention, and not be satisfied by token gestures like closing incoming flights from Europe.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Zhengi wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Zhengi wrote:
BruceLeroy1985 wrote:
methdxman wrote:

Yeah, it is ridiculous. Democrats and the media are seriously acting like this is all the fault of Trump. It really is a sad and pathetic thing to witness. You want to see how serious Democrats really are about protecting people from the virus? Have Trump announce he will close the borders and put troops on the borders to stop people from crossing. We will see really fast how Democrats don't really care about what they claim to care about.

Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Trump’s 30-day ban on European visitors is a terrible strategy for fighting the COVID-19 pandemic, health experts said, because it ignores the simple fact that the virus is already spreading through American communities.

“I do not anticipate this will be effective in the least,” Harvard epidemiologist Dr. Michael Mina told VICE News shortly after Trump’s surprise Wednesday night announcement. “Ultimately, this ban demonstrates his continued cognitive dissonance about the reality that coronavirus is along a trajectory of exponential growth in the United States.”

Trump's Travel Ban Is ‘Completely Incoherent,’ Health Experts Say

Quote:
The problem, experts say, is that the virus has already entered America’s shores, and we’re already seeing “community spreading” of the virus — that is, people with no international travel and no links to known cases are now getting the virus, implying they were exposed locally by an unknown source.

Altogether, this was an extraordinary move, but one that may do little to stop or mitigate the spread of coronavirus — while potentially damaging the US’s already somewhat strained relationship with its European allies.

“Germs don’t respect borders, and you can’t wall off every place in the world,” Lawrence Gostin, director of the O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law at Georgetown University Law School, told me.

“There’s a fine line between the president’s pro-US, anti-internationalist position where he thinks that he can restrict his borders on things like trade or immigration,” he added. “That doesn’t work with a germ — particularly with a germ that’s already here.”

Trump’s Europe travel ban might not do much to stop the coronavirus’s spread in the US

Quote:
Thomas Bossert, a former Trump Homeland Security adviser, also questioned the value of the travel restrictions. Bossert tweeted that it was a "poor use of time & energy. Earlier, yes. Now, travel restrictions/screening are less useful. We have nearly as much disease here in the US as the countries in Europe. We MUST focus on layered community mitigation measures-Now!"

USA Today Coronavirus Updates

Anything else you say is really just promoting fear mongering and hatred of minorities. Like I said, the virus is already here. We have high profile people like Gobert and Marshall who have been infected and possibly spread the virus even further through their contact with hundreds if not thousands of people. Containment of the virus by keeping people out is useless.

Useless...how shallow minded you are....your theory is we're all getting it too late...wow...and hatred of minorities...I'm Hispanic....but sure I hate minorities. ignorance at it's best.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 2 of 22
Jump to: