Season is over (personal opinion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

The no fans approach with testing is really the only way to resume before next spring/summer and even that’s optimistic for a true vaccine imo.

This virus isn’t going anywhere. Just have to get back to living but in the new normal of social distancing and taking precautions. It’s impossible to quarantine for 2 years.

Sure, but it's going to take different amounts of time to figure out how to open different industries in a way that make people comfortable with the risks. You can declare movie theatre are open, but that doesn't mean people will go to the movies.

As far as the NBA, they aren't opening until they come up with a plan that make the players comfortable stepping onto the court.

The NBA may figure that out in time to have a playoffs this year; they may not.

For sure it’s all about player safety. I think they are already thinking potentially no fans at the beginning of next season or very limited attendance like the Asian baseball leagues.

https://twitter.com/jareddudley619/status/1259003364613910528?s=21

Silver told the players they could play into October for this season.

He also said it’s looking like at least a one year timeline for a vaccine, so they either work around it or no basketball until next spring/summer at earliest.

I thought I heard Trump say that they can have the vaccine ready by September.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject:

Maybe not September but the end of the year at the earliest

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.economictimes.com/news/international/world-news/donald-trump-says-us-to-have-coronavirus-vaccine-by-year-end/amp_articleshow/75526907.cms
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.economictimes.com/news/international/world-news/donald-trump-says-us-to-have-coronavirus-vaccine-by-year-end/amp_articleshow/75526907.cms

Trump makes stuff up left and right. He's not a reliable source of information.

There are hundreds of possible vaccines under consideration and 8 now going through medical trials. However, developing a vaccine is a complex and lengthy process.

The consensus among scientists seems to be that the earliest date we might see a vaccine will be 12-18 months from now, so it might not be til the end of next year.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

The no fans approach with testing is really the only way to resume before next spring/summer and even that’s optimistic for a true vaccine imo.

This virus isn’t going anywhere. Just have to get back to living but in the new normal of social distancing and taking precautions. It’s impossible to quarantine for 2 years.

Sure, but it's going to take different amounts of time to figure out how to open different industries in a way that make people comfortable with the risks. You can declare movie theatre are open, but that doesn't mean people will go to the movies.

As far as the NBA, they aren't opening until they come up with a plan that make the players comfortable stepping onto the court.

For sure it’s all about player safety. I think they are already thinking potentially no fans at the beginning of next season or very limited attendance like the Asian baseball leagues.

He also said it’s looking like at least a one year timeline for a vaccine, so they either work around it or no basketball until next spring/summer at earliest.

The league, the owners, and the players will all have to reach an acceptable comfort level with reopening. And it may take some time for that to happen. Even if the risk is no different next year than now, the acceptance and comfort level might be greater by then. We'll see.

But there are a lot of interesting factors. If you are Stephen Curry and Draymond Greene and you literally have no chance of making the playoffs, would you take the risk of coming back this year if the league reopens? I'm not sure I would. And I can't see any way that the league could require them to, or find them or punish them for not playing.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

The league, the owners, and the players will all have to reach an acceptable comfort level with reopening. And it may take some time for that to happen. Even if the risk is no different next year than now, the acceptance and comfort level might be greater by then. We'll see.

But there are a lot of interesting factors. If you are Stephen Curry and Draymond Greene and you literally have no chance of making the playoffs, would you take the risk of coming back this year if the league reopens? I'm not sure I would. And I can't see any way that the league could require them to, or find them or punish them for not playing.

Yup all valid points. I think for the players it’s just like tanking and that’s fine.

They can come to an agreement that anyone outside the top 8 is done for the season. Silver mentioned this possibility.

Also, if the season is completely off, then every team should have an equal chance at the lottery. No chance in hell you reward the tanking teams and punish the playoff teams. Just a bad precedent.

Warriors twitter wants to so badly end the season. Fine, but they shouldn’t get rewarded with a top 3 pick. Don’t reward a tanking G league team.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject:

The league has a draft process and unless the Player’s Union wants to challenge it ( and I can think of no reason that they would) the league will stick with their written process. Though there could be some alterations due to a difference in games played.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Yup all valid points. I think for the players it’s just like tanking and that’s fine.

They can come to an agreement that anyone outside the top 8 is done for the season. Silver mentioned this possibility.

Also, if the season is completely off, then every team should have an equal chance at the lottery. No chance in hell you reward the tanking teams and punish the playoff teams. Just a bad precedent.

Warriors twitter wants to so badly end the season. Fine, but they shouldn’t get rewarded with a top 3 pick. Don’t reward a tanking G league team.

You bring up an interesting question. The current system gives every non-playoff team a shot at one of the top four picks. If they don't have a playoffs, should that be extended to all teams? If so, I imagine they do a variation of what they do now. Each team would get a shot at one of the top four picks, with their odds dependent on their record. The 5 pick on would then be chosen by record.

I haven't actually heard anyone discuss this, though. I have no reason to think the league s giving any thought to changing their draft system
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The league has a draft process and unless the Player’s Union wants to challenge it ( and I can think of no reason that they would) the league will stick with their written process. Though there could be some alterations due to a difference in games played.

The owners aren’t going to allow tanking teams to get higher lottery odds if the season doesn’t return with no playoffs.

There will be changes to lottery odds.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The owners aren’t going to allow tanking teams to get higher lottery odds if the season doesn’t return with no playoffs.

I'm sure no matter what teams with the worst records are going to have the best chance of winning the lottery. The only question is whether you extend the lottery to every team in the league rather than half the teams. But if they do that, I'm sure we'd have a lot less ping pong balls than the Warriors would
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/jareddudley619/status/1259551059376107520?s=21

“Players don’t understand the ramifications if we don’t play this year.. It effects next season as well. No games, no tv money , billions lost in revenue.. There will be no vaccine coming next year also so IF we can be Safe which I have faith in the NBA we can l, we should play.“

A lot of money and NBA jobs at stake here. The effect on the cap would really hit those 10-15th men. As long as it’s safe, the players and owners both have a bit extra motivation to get a deal done (as long as it’s deemed safe).
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject:

NBALakerLegends wrote:
https://twitter.com/jareddudley619/status/1259551059376107520?s=21

“Players don’t understand the ramifications if we don’t play this year.. It effects next season as well. No games, no tv money , billions lost in revenue.. There will be no vaccine coming next year also so IF we can be Safe which I have faith in the NBA we can l, we should play.“

A lot of money and NBA jobs at stake here. The effect on the cap would really hit those 10-15th men. As long as it’s safe, the players and owners both have a bit extra motivation to get a deal done (as long as it’s deemed safe).

Jared Dudley with common sense. the vaccine magic pill will not be here for a while.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I'm sure no matter what teams with the worst records are going to have the best chance of winning the lottery. The only question is whether you extend the lottery to every team in the league rather than half the teams. But if they do that, I'm sure we'd have a lot less ping pong balls than the Warriors would

Yeah all I’m saying is should the season get cancelled, I see all teams participating in the lottery with new odds.

For example, Warriors 15%

Lakers 2%
Bucks 1%

Just random numbers, but that’s the idea.

Anyway, premier league is re-opening June 1. They got the green light from UK government. So imo it’s looking likely that NBA is back in July but with no fans, closed doors like premier league.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yeah all I’m saying is should the season get cancelled, I see all teams participating in the lottery with new odds.

For example, Warriors 15%

Lakers 2%
Bucks 1%

Just random numbers, but that’s the idea.

Anyway, premier league is re-opening June 1. They got the green light from UK government. So imo it’s looking likely that NBA is back in July but with no fans, closed doors like premier league.

I'll take that....I don't know about you guys, but I enjoy watching the practices on "The Last Dance." I could definitely watch real games with no fans.
Laker Hefe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Might not want to put much stock in the words that come from his mouth. Remember, this was supposed to "disappear" in April.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject:

NBALakerLegends wrote:
As long as it’s safe, the players and owners both have a bit extra motivation to get a deal done (as long as it’s deemed safe).

The safe part is the big issue. First, that depends on testing. If they manage to get that into place, they can probably figure everything else out.

But there's a lot of details and negotiation. The leagues people keep bringing up -- MLB, soccer -- are a little further along, but they haven't worked out everything yet either.

This is a deadly disease, so I don't expect the players to just rush away on this season.

All the wrinkles will be interesting. If you are, oh, Stephen Curry, and you have $150 million in the bank and no hopes of making the playoffs, why would you come back for 20 meaningless games? I wouldn't.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/getupespn/status/1259866710326292481?s=21

Let’s see if the “asterisk” narrative stays depending on who wins. I’m thinking the narrative will not be the same for all contending teams.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/getupespn/status/1259866710326292481?s=21

Let’s see if the “asterisk” narrative stays depending on who wins. I’m thinking the narrative will not be the same for all contending teams.

If your suggestion is that there be an asterisks if the Lakers win, but not if the Bucks win, I don't agree with that.

No matter who wins, everyone will know this has been a highly unusual season, and the delay caused by the pandemic could have possibly affected the outcome.

But sure there will always be a disproportionate number of people on social media who are looking to tweak the noses of Lakers fans compared to the fans of other teams.

Last edited by activeverb on Tue May 12, 2020 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
NBALakerLegends wrote:
As long as it’s safe, the players and owners both have a bit extra motivation to get a deal done (as long as it’s deemed safe).

The safe part is the big issue. First, that depends on testing. If they manage to get that into place, they can probably figure everything else out.

But there's a lot of details and negotiation. The leagues people keep bringing up -- MLB, soccer -- are a little further along, but they haven't worked out everything yet either.

This is a deadly disease, so I don't expect the players to just rush away on this season.

All the wrinkles will be interesting. If you are, oh, Stephen Curry, and you have $150 million in the bank and no hopes of making the playoffs, why would you come back for 20 meaningless games? I wouldn't.

Testing shouldn’t be an issue next month. Actually, it’s fine now with 300k tests a day. 9M a month expected.

Per Bloomberg News,

Asked later about his remark that the U.S. had “prevailed,” Trump said he was only talking about testing for the virus. The U.S. didn’t exceed 100,000 coronavirus tests performed until March 19, according to data compiled by the Covid Tracking Project, but more than 300,000 tests were conducted daily on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

“We’ve prevailed on testing,” Trump said. “You never prevail when you have 90,000 people, 100,000, when you have 80,000 people as of today. What I’m talking about is we have a great testing capacity now.”

There have been more than 1.3 million cases of Covid-19 in the U.S., according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The growth of the outbreak has slowed, as cases increased by about 20,000 on Sunday and there were 733 deaths nationwide.

Admiral Brett Giroir, the assistant secretary for health, said that the U.S. should shortly be on a pace to conduct 9 million tests per month.

If you’re a team like the Warriors who essentially tanked the year away, you keep doing that. In a regular season, he probably would have sat the rest of the year due to the injury. It’s the same here. Just sit for the remaining 5-7 regular season games and let the guys that are fighting for contracts play. Not a big deal.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 5:23 am    Post subject:

NBALakerLegends wrote:
activeverb wrote:
NBALakerLegends wrote:

Testing shouldn’t be an issue next month. Actually, it’s fine now with 300k tests a day. 9M a month expected.

Per Bloomberg News,

Asked later about his remark that the U.S. had “prevailed,” Trump said he was only talking about testing for the virus. The U.S. didn’t exceed 100,000 coronavirus tests performed until March 19, according to data compiled by the Covid Tracking Project, but more than 300,000 tests were conducted daily on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

“We’ve prevailed on testing,” Trump said. “You never prevail when you have 90,000 people, 100,000, when you have 80,000 people as of today. What I’m talking about is we have a great testing capacity now.”

There have been more than 1.3 million cases of Covid-19 in the U.S., according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The growth of the outbreak has slowed, as cases increased by about 20,000 on Sunday and there were 733 deaths nationwide.

Admiral Brett Giroir, the assistant secretary for health, said that the U.S. should shortly be on a pace to conduct 9 million tests per month.

If you’re a team like the Warriors who essentially tanked the year away, you keep doing that. In a regular season, he probably would have sat the rest of the year due to the injury. It’s the same here. Just sit for the remaining 5-7 regular season games and let the guys that are fighting for contracts play. Not a big deal.

Does anyone have a clue what this idiot (tRump) is trying to say? To me it just looks like incoherent rambling.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
NBALakerLegends wrote:
activeverb wrote:
NBALakerLegends wrote:

Per Bloomberg News,

Does anyone have a clue what this idiot (tRump) is trying to say? To me it just looks like incoherent rambling.

It's a standard Trump technique. No matter how many people get sick or die he's going to say that number is a success and a higher number would have been a failure. When the higher number comes, he'll just change the numbers to define whatever happens a success for him
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
NBALakerLegends wrote:
activeverb wrote:
NBALakerLegends wrote:

Per Bloomberg News,

It's a standard Trump technique. No matter how many people get sick or die he's going to say that number is a success and a higher number would have been a failure. When the higher number comes, he'll just change the numbers to define whatever happens a success for him

Not going to get political but it's been reported that if the flights from China would not have been banned the number of deaths would have been approx 2.2 million. Who knows what the numbers would have been...point is testing is a big deal for the season to start and it appears testing is easily accessible now. MLB will probably agree on a deal in the next 2 weeks and my hope is the NBA will follow. We're talking 6-8 weeks of play-off basketball with 16 teams. That appears doable but who knows.
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject:

Yeah, definitely wasn’t trying to make this political but the point is that testing production has ramped up tremendously. Bloomberg news reported yesterday China plans on testing all 11M of their residents after a handful or people came down with the the virus in the city.

Anyways, we’ll have to see what the MLB and their Union come up with and if money becomes an issue. I do like how the NBA and their Union have had a much better relationship (at least in the eyes of the public). NHL and their owners have a meeting today to discuss restarting timelines as well. Good traction for sports returning with this week’s news.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject:

The kind of tests available for the NBA maybe matter too in addition to widespread testing.

The Abbott rapid tests is the fastest delivering results in 15 minutes..but requires a trained person to use and are very expensive. These aren't widely available yet (only to people with moderate symptoms) But if they do (due to increased production) and costs drop, it could change the game.

For instance, I was hearing Carnival cruise lines discuss about ways to do cruises again and one of the possibilities is to do a rapid tests on each passenger and only those who test negative go on the Cruise.

If the NBA was able to get these rapid tests, they could do the same with players.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

Not going to get political but it's been reported that if the flights from China would not have been banned the number of deaths would have been approx 2.2 million.

That's not correct. A statistical model developed by Imperial College in the U.K. hypothesis that coronavirus deaths in the United States could have reached 2.2 million if no steps were taken to combat the virus at all, such as stay at home orders and social distancing. It wasn't a model about the ban on flights to China.

The statistical model received a good bit of criticism, so the 2.2 million is not exactly carved in stone.

People disagree if the flight ban to China had any effect. Some believe it was a good tactic to delay the spread of the virus, but that benefit was cancelled out because we didn't use the delay to implement any measures against the virus.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

He also said we should inject Clorox into our bodies to get rid of the virus.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 17 of 22
Jump to: