Season is over (personal opinion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The owners are in good financial shape, they are smart businessmen. That is why they are currently trying to reduce the payments they make to players. And to the people who rely on extra income working at the arenas. Many have donated to fighting the virus and will get a tax write off as a result. Who hasn’t? The Buss kids. You obviously aren’t paying attention to the financial struggles going on with the NBA. The owners could invoke the clause that invalidates the CBA. That could threaten future seasons as well.

This is all irrelevant because your idea doesn’t do (bleep) to fix any of this stuff. Nice attempt to try and change the subject though.

You don’t think more fans would watch if every team participated? Of course they would.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
KOBE WAN wrote:
Since the situation looks dire and difficult from a logistics standpoint to accommodate many teams in a playoff., just go straight to the finals since we have few options? Lakers be Bucks since these are desperate times

That would be hilarious because all that “load management” from Kawhi Leanard would backfire and blow up in his face.

Yeah but that's not a real championship. At least in 1999 they had a real playoff schedule. If they have to do that then they should just cancel the season, which is what I think they're going to do because this thing could easily go 2-4 months more with quarantining.

If things aren’t cleared until August that would be 5 months since the last game, it would be difficult to feel like it is the same season. And that would be assuming that the Player’s Union and owners could come to an agreement on changing the 2019-2020 calendar and what concessions that might include. Assuming that the NHL and MLB don’t have playoffs, the current champs would be the Chiefs, Raptors, Nationals and Blues.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The owners are in good financial shape, they are smart businessmen. That is why they are currently trying to reduce the payments they make to players. And to the people who rely on extra income working at the arenas. Many have donated to fighting the virus and will get a tax write off as a result. Who hasn’t? The Buss kids. You obviously aren’t paying attention to the financial struggles going on with the NBA. The owners could invoke the clause that invalidates the CBA. That could threaten future seasons as well.

This is all irrelevant because your idea doesn’t do (bleep) to fix any of this stuff. Nice attempt to try and change the subject though.

You don’t think more fans would watch if every team participated? Of course they would.

Of course they wouldn’t because a lot of fans don’t want to watch garbage teams play. If people loved watching garbage teams then the Clippers would have been more popular when Donald Sterling owned them.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:32 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
KOBE WAN wrote:
Since the situation looks dire and difficult from a logistics standpoint to accommodate many teams in a playoff., just go straight to the finals since we have few options? Lakers be Bucks since these are desperate times

That would be hilarious because all that “load management” from Kawhi Leanard would backfire and blow up in his face.

Yeah but that's not a real championship. At least in 1999 they had a real playoff schedule. If they have to do that then they should just cancel the season, which is what I think they're going to do because this thing could easily go 2-4 months more with quarantining.

Personally I think the playoffs are too long and I wouldn’t mind a shorter postseason. It makes the regular season more important and often the first round tends to be a mismatch anyway. The 7 and 8 seeds rarely win a round.

One obvious problem though is the teams didn’t know they had to finish first in the conference. So this would be unfair to several teams.

Having no champion is a complete disaster.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:
The better not cancel it. The hell with next seasons schedule FFS. Do whatever it takes and wait it out however long it takes and finish THIS season.

Build a f*cking stadium and a hotel in the middle of nowhere and have daily testing. Isolate the healthy players and staff until this is over and finish out the damn season!!!!

I can’t believe this (bleep) is happening FML

Pretty similar to how I feel.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:33 am    Post subject:

I don't care how "weird" it would feel once the games are back. Finish this season once it's possible to play again. You can't just throw one whole season down the drain with no conclusion. I'm open to any and all options. Just finish this season.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject:

No one can know for sure but in my mind the season is done. If it resumes I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I've accepted the fact that the Lakers playoff drought will not end until 2021 at the earliest
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject:

2020 as a year has been complete garbage. Just one tragedy after another. At this rate, I'm too scared to predict how it will somehow top COVID.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject:

What do you guys think the deadline is for the NBA to make a decision?

I am thinking they have to decide one way or the other by April 30 or maybe May 15 at the latest just for logistical reasons.

If they do re-start this season at some point, it would seem certain that next season would have a delayed start.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
I don't care how "weird" it would feel once the games are back. Finish this season once it's possible to play again. You can't just throw one whole season down the drain with no conclusion. I'm open to any and all options. Just finish this season.

This season ends June 30, unless you want to negatively affect this season and next season. If there is a 5-6 month gap between the last game and the next do you really feel like it would be the same season?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

I am thinking they have to decide one way or the other by April 30 or maybe May 15 at the latest just for logistical reasons.

If they do re-start this season at some point, it would seem certain that next season would have a delayed start.

Dudley thinks the cutoff for a decision is June 1st. Makes sense if they are willing to play into August.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Guessing they can probably play until August, they will need at least one month break for players to rest up for next season. Training camps begin in late September, early October.
KOBE WAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

you know Silver would love to get a championship for Lebron or Giannis so just go straight to Finals. Robert Horry jumped on that train. honestly if they did a conference finals then finals playoff, that would be awesome. But if anyone contracts the virus and then they cancel the rest of the series, it'd be a nightmare. I don't think they can risk not having a Finals. So just go straight there. this is an abnormal year.
KOBE WAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Guessing they can probably play until August, they will need at least one month break for players to rest up for next season. Training camps begin in late September, early October.

Next year fall will likely have this same Coronavirus problem. Its a seasonal disease most likely and we won't have a vaccine by then. Next year is in limbo as well. Look a the NFL and MLB their whole season is in Limbo at this point in time. Who cares about next year, when we're so close to the end of this NBA season.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
1918 - Toronto wins Stanley Cup
1919 - Stanley Cup canceled

1993 - Toronto wins World Series
1994 - World Series canceled

2019 - Toronto wins NBA Finals
2020 - ...

good thing that Toronto doesn't have an NFL franchise...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject:

KOBE WAN wrote:
Judah wrote:

you know Silver would love to get a championship for Lebron or Giannis so just go straight to Finals. Robert Horry jumped on that train. honestly if they did a conference finals then finals playoff, that would be awesome. But if anyone contracts the virus and then they cancel the rest of the series, it'd be a nightmare. I don't think they can risk not having a Finals. So just go straight there. this is an abnormal year.

What makes you think that Silver wants a title for Lebron and Giannis and not any other player? If the season were to resume it would require every potential player, coach, medical staff, refs, TV and radio personnel and any other person potentially at the facility to be quarantined for 3-4 weeks prior to it resuming. Would the various Unions that would have to be involved sign off on potential dangers? Would the NBA survive if someone involved caught the virus and died? Would other team owners sign off on those potential dangers because Stern (supposedly) wants Lebron and Giannis to win a title?

There are so many things involved with staging a Finals series and that is without this awful virus. The season still officially ends June 30, that hasn’t changed, and it will take negotiations between the owners and player’s union to change dates. I think that at this point we need to hope for a full 2020-2021 season.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject:

I don’t believe Windhorst’s report about the NBA canceling the season, Mark Cuban and the rest who are close with the NBA league will fight the cause to have the season resumed, I don’t care if we have to see teams play in an empty arena, we have to have a champion this year and I know health is a 1st priority but we gotta have a season... do whatever it takes.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I would be fine with significantly shortening next season (if there even is a next season). The 1999 season started in February, only lasted 50 games and it worked out. I don’t care if it has to be a 40 game season. We also saw a 66 game season a few years ago. 82 games is way too long anyway.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Judah wrote:

This season ends June 30, unless you want to negatively affect this season and next season. If there is a 5-6 month gap between the last game and the next do you really feel like it would be the same season?

Yes. NBA teams in October, November and December are not always the same teams we see in May and June. The Golden State Warriors weren’t even the same team throughout the playoffs with KD getting injured (and later Klay).
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject:

KOBE WAN wrote:
Judah wrote:

I don't see why is Silver would care if LeBron or Giannis get the championship over any other player
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
KOBE WAN wrote:
Judah wrote:

I don't see why is Silver would care if LeBron or Giannis get the championship over any other player

The media wants lebron to win, but Silver doesn't care. Silver works for all the owners, not just the Lakers or lebron. That's why I don't believe anything coming out of the media right now, because I know most of them are just thinking about lebron and not the safety and well being of fans, workers or the league. It's a hard pill to swallow, but I'm about 80% sure that they're going to have to cancel the season. This thing could easily go another 3-4 months before people are able to gather in large groups.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:32 am    Post subject:

quite the prescient thread this appears to be
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject:

Quote:
South Korea has done as good a job as any country of containing coronavirus -- and now, baseball is being played there, with opening day slated for late April. At ESPN, a look inside how Korea is doing it, through the eyes of Americans playing ball there: es.pn/34d3B4F

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1247150341126328321?s=21
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
South Korea has done as good a job as any country of containing coronavirus -- and now, baseball is being played there, with opening day slated for late April. At ESPN, a look inside how Korea is doing it, through the eyes of Americans playing ball there: es.pn/34d3B4F

Is this good news for those who want to see the NBA resume? Maybe we are waiting for China to resume sports before we do the same thing.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

Is this good news for those who want to see the NBA resume? Maybe we are waiting for China to resume sports before we do the same thing.

They are wearing masks and baseball is more stationary, but I still think they could resume basketball too but logistically they need agreement on 1 place and for sure no fans. Also have to be willing to play into August, if not September. By the time decision is made, you need to give a 2 week minimum ramp up. That’s already sometime mid June to late June.

Playoffs probably start mid July-ish and you need a month or maybe 1.5 months from start to finish.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 8 of 22
Jump to: