Season is over (personal opinion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 11032

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
Of course the NBA and players would like to crown a champion. Question is how realistic is it? The economy is tanking, people are dying, and the healthy ones are living in fear, no vaccine until maybe next year, virus can stay in air for 3 hours, etc...This is a total disaster and I don't see how the league can resume the season until this mess gets sorted out which I don't see happening anytime soon.


What exactly is standing in their way of it? They need to make sure their players are healthy first, and then they can play games behind closed doors with extra security. Yeah, maybe it stays closed but even in a doomsday scenario where people are sick or scared to leave their homes, do you think they would prefer no NBA games on TV?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 28981

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
BTW guys a short note on the incidence of the virus.

I am a doctor at a Health Center in LA and until last Monday, we couldn't do any testing on the virus because the lab couldn't handle the load due to lack of kits.

I believe they only allowed tests from hospitals. So since last Monday is when they allow testing from non-hospital facilities, we might continue to see a spike in cases.



There won't actually be a spike in cases, of course. There will be more accurate information about how many cases already exist.


Exactly..China had something similar which I added to my explanation above.


yeah, Trump has been a case study in how not to handle a crisis. In situations like this, you don't withhold information and try to sugarcoat everything, because people see the truth and know they can't trust or rely on you. He's just a man who is amazingly incompetent at his job
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Sep 2008
Posts: 19413
Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
BTW guys a short note on the incidence of the virus.

I am a doctor at a Health Center in LA and until last Monday, we couldn't do any testing on the virus because the lab couldn't handle the load due to lack of kits.

I believe they only allowed tests from hospitals. So since last Monday is when they allow testing from non-hospital facilities, we might continue to see a spike in cases.



There won't actually be a spike in cases, of course. There will be more accurate information about how many cases already exist.


Exactly..China had something similar which I added to my explanation above.


yeah, Trump has been a case study in how not to handle a crisis. In situations like this, you don't withhold information and try to sugarcoat everything, because people see the truth and know they can't trust or rely on you. He's just a man who is amazingly incompetent at his job


Today's near 10% plunge tells me investors agree with you, as do I. Also thanks lar9149 for that info. The clinic nearest where I live in Oregon has been turning people away as well, for the same reason. This is way overdue and I'm glad you're seeing more testing kits in California.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ThePageDude
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 25 Jul 2002
Posts: 487

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
It took China 2 months to be back in normal, so since we are the more advanced country, we should contain this sooner than that. I think the season will resume in May


It took China 2 months because their government exercised absolute power, which basically meant internment for millions and millions of their citizens with full control over their: location, housing, meals, communication, interaction (physical and electronic), healthcare.
The "Advanced" part had less to do with it.


Sorry, I should have been clearer. Advanced *could* and *should* have benefited us through:
* earlier availability of testing kits
* greater (FAR greater) volume of testing *and* data gathering (CDC tested a mere 1000 people from 18 Jan - 23 Feb)
* far earlier anticipation of spread based on data already available from Italy (even if one discounts the Chinese and Iranian data due to special circumstances)

But so far it has not, we are far from catching up with China's much more blunt response.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jul 2010
Posts: 1088

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
BTW guys a short note on the incidence of the virus.

I am a doctor at a Health Center in LA and until last Monday, we couldn't do any testing on the virus because the lab couldn't handle the load due to lack of kits.

I believe they only allowed tests from hospitals. So since last Monday is when they allow testing from non-hospital facilities, we might continue to see a spike in cases.



There won't actually be a spike in cases, of course. There will be more accurate information about how many cases already exist.


Exactly..China had something similar which I added to my explanation above.


yeah, Trump has been a case study in how not to handle a crisis. In situations like this, you don't withhold information and try to sugarcoat everything, because people see the truth and know they can't trust or rely on you. He's just a man who is amazingly incompetent at his job


Today's near 10% plunge tells me investors agree with you, as do I. Also thanks lar9149 for that info. The clinic nearest where I live in Oregon has been turning people away as well, for the same reason. This is way overdue and I'm glad you're seeing more testing kits in California.


Looks like there is hope. Trump today declared a national emergency today and is funding 50 billion lifting restriction on doctors and hospitals. So hopefully things you mentioned like being turned away won't happen.

Plus, free testing and I have they might do drive thru testing like South Korea did..plus they have 1 million test kits..plenty.

The initial market response is good reversing some of the 10% plunge you mentioned above. Lets cross our fingers and hope these measures show some results so in a month or so, we can start talking about basketball again and no more this political crap..although I don't mind it since there is no basketball to talk about.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Sep 2008
Posts: 19413
Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
BTW guys a short note on the incidence of the virus.

I am a doctor at a Health Center in LA and until last Monday, we couldn't do any testing on the virus because the lab couldn't handle the load due to lack of kits.

I believe they only allowed tests from hospitals. So since last Monday is when they allow testing from non-hospital facilities, we might continue to see a spike in cases.



There won't actually be a spike in cases, of course. There will be more accurate information about how many cases already exist.


Exactly..China had something similar which I added to my explanation above.


yeah, Trump has been a case study in how not to handle a crisis. In situations like this, you don't withhold information and try to sugarcoat everything, because people see the truth and know they can't trust or rely on you. He's just a man who is amazingly incompetent at his job


Today's near 10% plunge tells me investors agree with you, as do I. Also thanks lar9149 for that info. The clinic nearest where I live in Oregon has been turning people away as well, for the same reason. This is way overdue and I'm glad you're seeing more testing kits in California.


Looks like there is hope. Trump today declared a national emergency today and is funding 50 billion lifting restriction on doctors and hospitals. So hopefully things you mentioned like being turned away won't happen.

Plus, free testing and I have they might do drive thru testing like South Korea did..plus they have 1 million test kits..plenty.

The initial market response is good reversing some of the 10% plunge you mentioned above. Lets cross our fingers and hope these measures show some results so in a month or so, we can start talking about basketball again and no more this political crap..although I don't mind it since there is no basketball to talk about.


Amen to that!! Yes - I was home today and watched the press conference. Turned off by the political jabs, but I'm very encouraged that we're now starting to take action. National Emergency funding, FDA approval for the testing kits from Roche, drive through testing, the closures for schools/events, gives us a lot more tools to slow the trajectory down. I hope too that this results in a resumption sooner than later.

I'd love to be talking about the upcoming schedule, debating AC's defense versus Dion's offense, and reading game threads and T&R's again!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Nov 2009
Posts: 2703

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject:

I’m just glad the lakers beat the bucs and especially the snarky clippers before the season was suspended, makes this a little easier to take and wait for the season to resume , which I think it will, too much money involved
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 05 Aug 2017
Posts: 650

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject:

So I suppose the NBA may drag thru August and soon after the draft and summer leagues. 20/21 schedule reduced and delayed to December as Hawks owner wanted. Also only amatuers no pros off to the Japan Olympics if doesn't get cancelled.
_________________
MAMBA OUT

1978-2020
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 May 2010
Posts: 2250

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject:

People have been saying they wish they could put a reset on 2020. If only that were possible!

I'll say this, if the regular season is indeed over, I believe that they should continue with the playoffs. Most of this is always centered around money, but right now its about the Health of our society.

They could quarantine the games, by testing the players, coaches, staff, refs, all of the video & camera crews and everyone that it takes to make the game functional play them in a tournament style in two locations, one on the East and one on the West. If they want to make money, they can televise it on TV and Social Media and charge like On-Demand...

It would be the most highly watched paid programming in it's history, I'm sure. It would give people at home an opportunity to stay safe and enjoy the sport the love and continue to be entertained and the players an opportunity to still compete at a high-level and earn a championship and then move forward towards weathering this storm with their families...

It's feasible, rather it's this type of idea or simply waiting it out and extending the season, either way is good. This is load management at it's finest and will jump start a few players on teams.

I pray this all ends and we all recover sooner than expected!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 30226
Location: The Valley

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject:

Let’s say the league decides to forfeit the season, can you guys imagine how the Pelicans and Kings would feel? They were inching closer to getting the 8th seed and if the NBA decides to start the playoffs when basketball resumes it will be the Grizzles in the playoffs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 May 2013
Posts: 3479

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject:

would it be possiblly to do the playoffs but do 1t 2 seeds in each confrenec

for example
lakers vs clippers
bucks vs raptors

then the finals

rather just shorten it ecspecially since it could be til June. THis gives time for the virus to lower. Idk sounds very unlikely but i cant imagine them not doing the playoffs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 136817
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject:

Do it NCAA tournament style. 14 vs 15, one game. Then 9-14, 10-13, 11-12, one game. Re-seed then 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5, one game. Re-seed, 1-4, 2-3, 5 game series. The two teams remaining play a 7 game series, the Finals are a 7 game series.
_________________
“I loved playing music to his words” - John Densmore on Jim Morrison
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 136817
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject:

I read an article today speculating that the season might be over. For every player that tests positive, it is another 14 days off for each team. And that includes families of players. Depending on how far apart positive tests are confirmed, it stretches the off time another 14 days. Hopefully there will only be the 3 and things will get rolling in April.
_________________
“I loved playing music to his words” - John Densmore on Jim Morrison
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 13 Nov 2018
Posts: 11851

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I read an article today speculating that the season might be over. For every player that tests positive, it is another 14 days off for each team. And that includes families of players. Depending on how far apart positive tests are confirmed, it stretches the off time another 14 days. Hopefully there will only be the 3 and things will get rolling in April.


At the end of the day the NBA is a business with its number one objective to make money. The playoffs are big money for them. They will do whatever it takes to make sure the playoffs are played. Calling the season off, whether it's the right thing to do or not, means a financial loss that just might not be acceptable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 13 Nov 2018
Posts: 11851

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
It took China 2 months to be back in normal, so since we are the more advanced country, we should contain this sooner than that. I think the season will resume in May


It took China 2 months because their government exercised absolute power, which basically meant internment for millions and millions of their citizens with full control over their: location, housing, meals, communication, interaction (physical and electronic), healthcare.
The "Advanced" part had less to do with it.


It took China 2 months because they first denied there was an outbreak and sent police around to the doctor whistle blower (who later died) to threaten him into withdrawing his warning. The measures they took really should have had this thing under control earlier but they were too concerned with public order and face. This meant they were playing catch up with the virus. South Korea, with enforced testing and pre-emptive lockdowns, fared much better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief


Joined: 07 Sep 2001
Posts: 37056
Location: O.C.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject:

I doubt we get rolling in April.

It would be cool if they allowed the Lakers and Clippers to play their make up game. No fans. No travel. And use the event to help pull the country together a little and be mindful of the less fortunate or those struggling for help as things get worse before they get better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
acer77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 16 Jun 2017
Posts: 545

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject:

I'm very optimistic that the season will be restarted May-July with an abbreviated post-season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Mar 2017
Posts: 2604

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject:

I think they going to restart around May and straight to playoff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 11089

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Why would the season ever get going? In the coming months we will hear about more infections and more death. Unless we just get used to living with the disease and say (bleep) it, let’s live our lives then what’s going to change so the NBA can get going?

The same arguments that people use to argue they shouldn’t play will be the same arguments they use in a few months, except with many more people being sick the risks of infection will be much greater.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jul 2010
Posts: 1088

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Why would the season ever get going? In the coming months we will hear about more infections and more death. Unless we just get used to living with the disease and say (bleep) it, let’s live our lives then what’s going to change so the NBA can get going?

The same arguments that people use to argue they shouldn’t play will be the same arguments they use in a few months, except with many more people being sick the risks of infection will be much greater.


Totally hear what you Saying Steve. Just hopeful that’s all. Right now the the travel bans and closures of school bars limiting restaurants. And hear some bans from hotspot states like Washington May occur. Trump keeps saying you can get testing but I already know of someone who went to a private doctor who said they are on a waiting list to get the tests done.

But neitherless looks Like as much as can be done is being done and if that is not enough, don’t know what to say.

On a side note, I am afraid these changes may have negative effects that are not being seen today. Just today I had an amazon order stolen from the front of the my house and my neighbor the same thing. And I have been here 8 years and never had an order stolen from house.

And just down the street I just saw a man arrested for stealing. And I haven’t seen that many police cars around My neighborhood in years. Note I live in a very safe neighborhood in Orange County so this behavior is unusual. So I wouldn’t be surprised to see an increase in crime especially since all these kids are out of school and I am not expecting all of them to stay home all day and self quarantine.

And these club and bar closures. What are those people going to do now? Will they stay home or will they throw their own parties and cause trouble in local neighborhoods inviting people all over the City.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
tgi_friyay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 04 Nov 2017
Posts: 269

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?


Eeeek.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
AFireInside619
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Dec 2015
Posts: 9060
Location: San Diego, California

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject:

Windhorst said on his podcast yesterday that the NBA is monitoring the Chinese Basketball League very closely and seeing how they handle the situation. Play will resume for them after 8-10 weeks.

He also said the NBA and owners also needs about 80 regular season games and a full playoffs (best 4 out of 7 series) to hit their salary cap goals for next season. Seeing that getting paid is important to the owners and the players, it’s going to be in their best interest to continue the season 3 months from now.
_________________
“You have to dance beautifully in the box that you are comfortable dancing in.” - Kobe Bryant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Apr 2012
Posts: 1615
Location: Southern California

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Going straight to the playoffs after a multiple month hiatus and no practice, might as well be a new season. No fans as well to make it more of an asterisk. Then it would cascade into the following season as well since this woud have to be done, when, mid summer?.

Any champion that comes from that would have no bearing on the season that was suspended last week had it continued.

I don't think there will be an NBA champion or NHL champion this year.
_________________
16 time World Champions
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 136817
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject:

That would mean that my Blues will still be the Stanley Cup champs.
_________________
“I loved playing music to his words” - John Densmore on Jim Morrison
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Nov 2012
Posts: 17437

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I read an article today speculating that the season might be over. For every player that tests positive, it is another 14 days off for each team. And that includes families of players. Depending on how far apart positive tests are confirmed, it stretches the off time another 14 days. Hopefully there will only be the 3 and things will get rolling in April.


I was optimistic at first because of the money involved but I’m quickly losing steam. If we take this hiatus and try starting up again and another player tests positive, it’s a bust. It is really looking like all of these activities and most of our regular jobs and lives are on hold until a vaccine is created and mass distributed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB