MDE: Wilt or Shaq?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who was more dominant? Wilt or Shaq?
Wilt
45%
 45%  [ 19 ]
Shaq
54%
 54%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 42

Author Message
Judah
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 4618

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Shaq. He was terrifying.
_________________
“Christ did not die to forgive sinners who go on treasuring anything above seeing and savoring God. And people who would be happy in heaven if Christ were not there, will not be there."
- John Piper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 61854
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject:

I'm ignoring stats and just keeping mindful of game play.

Imagine, being bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic than everyone else and then putting up some really soft shots around the hoop. Part of me thinks that Wilt did that because he was seen as Goliath and no one loves that guy.

But Shaq was all aggression, all the time. He wouldn't finesse shots if he didn't have to.

To me, that's the biggest difference. Wilt could have basically dunked everything in sight. It's weird watching those ultra high pace 60s to early 70s games and just seeing him take occasional breaks with nowhere near the physicality that Shaq had to put up with in his career.
_________________
Resident Car Nut.

LeBron/Bradley/Caruso/Cook/Rondo
Green/KCP
Kuzma/Daniels
Davis/Dudley
McGee/D39

http://bball-index.com/team/lal/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Cutheon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jul 2009
Posts: 8613
Location: Bay Area

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
I'm ignoring stats and just keeping mindful of game play.

Imagine, being bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic than everyone else and then putting up some really soft shots around the hoop. Part of me thinks that Wilt did that because he was seen as Goliath and no one loves that guy.

But Shaq was all aggression, all the time. He wouldn't finesse shots if he didn't have to.

To me, that's the biggest difference. Wilt could have basically dunked everything in sight. It's weird watching those ultra high pace 60s to early 70s games and just seeing him take occasional breaks with nowhere near the physicality that Shaq had to put up with in his career.


That and dunking was frequently seen as unsportsmanlike in the early days of the sport. Wilt helped change that view, but he also fell victim to it at times. Being on the receiving end of one too many elbows, an undercut here, an undercut there . . . enough to dissuade even Wilt, I suppose.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 28981

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
I'm ignoring stats and just keeping mindful of game play.

Imagine, being bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic than everyone else and then putting up some really soft shots around the hoop. Part of me thinks that Wilt did that because he was seen as Goliath and no one loves that guy.

But Shaq was all aggression, all the time. He wouldn't finesse shots if he didn't have to.

To me, that's the biggest difference. Wilt could have basically dunked everything in sight. It's weird watching those ultra high pace 60s to early 70s games and just seeing him take occasional breaks with nowhere near the physicality that Shaq had to put up with in his career.


That and dunking was frequently seen as unsportsmanlike in the early days of the sport. Wilt helped change that view, but he also fell victim to it at times. Being on the receiving end of one too many elbows, an undercut here, an undercut there . . . enough to dissuade even Wilt, I suppose.


Dunking was one of Wilt's three primary shots, along with the fingeroll and fadeaway. People have long argued why he didn't dunk more and there are sorts of theories, among them:

1. Teams concentrated on taking away the dunk, so he used the finger role and fadeaway more.

2. Wilt got tired of being mauled inside when he went for dunks, so he preferred fingeroles and fadeaways.

3. Wilt was afraid of his own strength and preferred other shots so he wouldn't hurt other players.

4. Wilt was a great showman, and he thought the finger role was a showier move.

Like most things with Wilt, the truth is elusive. Wilt like to tell tall tales so you can never accept anything he said at face value. Players from his era have all sorts of different opinions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Sep 2002
Posts: 6509

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
I’d say Shaq would’ve been more dominant in Wilts era than Wilt. But I never saw Wilt play. Shaq was a marvel to me. He could’ve been even better had he had a Kobe like work ethic, yet at the same time at his size it’s amazing he played like 18 years and was a force for most of them. Yao didn’t last long. Bynum didn’t last long. Embiid is looking shaky. None of them were Shaq.


If you put prime Shaq in the NBA in Wilt's era he would be capable of averaging 50.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Jun 2017
Posts: 1095

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
PartyMan wrote:
I’d say Shaq would’ve been more dominant in Wilts era than Wilt. But I never saw Wilt play. Shaq was a marvel to me. He could’ve been even better had he had a Kobe like work ethic, yet at the same time at his size it’s amazing he played like 18 years and was a force for most of them. Yao didn’t last long. Bynum didn’t last long. Embiid is looking shaky. None of them were Shaq.


If you put prime Shaq in the NBA in Wilt's era he would be capable of averaging 50.


https://youtu.be/r-XTPVBOCLw

Would Shaq be able to not commit offensive fouls each possession?
_________________
Mic 17 99 19
22 44 13 25
52 33 32 42
34 8 24 16
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 61854
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:07 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
I'm old and even so, I am still too young to have seen Wilt play, but by looking at his career numbers they are nothing short of remarkable:

1. Had a 100 point game!
2. Averaged 40 points per game over his first SIX Seasons!
3. Averaged 24.9 rebounds per game over his first SIX Seasons!
4. Career scoring average of 30ppg!
5. Career rebound average of 22.9rpg!
6. Averaged 50 points per game over 80 games in 1960/61!
7. Averaged 2 personal fouls per game over his career, so he dominated without hitting the other guy and NEVER fouled out of a game!

Also, if you scroll way down, you will see some advanced analytics that tabulate Win Shares of NBA Centers and in both tables, Wilt is number one all-time and Shaq is number 6!

LINK: https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/chambwi01.html

So factually speaking, Wilt is better by a mile, but since most everyone here has only seen Shaq play, I expect him to win this STRAW POLL...!


Wilt was great, but you have to take some of his statistical accomplishments with a grain of salt. They reflect his ability but also reflect the era he played in.

When Wilt was averaging 26 rrp in 1962, Russell was averaging 24 rrp, Bellamy 19 rrp., and Pettit 19 rpg. So his rebounding average was a function of his ability, but also a reflection of teams taking a lot of shots and shooting at a low percentage (creating many rebound opportunities) and the wide variations in talent that are common in the early days of a sports league.


Yup just total disregard for competition and pace.
_________________
Resident Car Nut.

LeBron/Bradley/Caruso/Cook/Rondo
Green/KCP
Kuzma/Daniels
Davis/Dudley
McGee/D39

http://bball-index.com/team/lal/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB