Melo: Nuggets should've won 2009 championship
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Melo: Nuggets should've won 2009 championship

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/04/01/carmelo-anthony-nuggets-should-have-won-2009-championship/

Quote:
Carmelo Anthony: Nuggets should have won 2009 championship

Carmelo Anthony said he would’ve won multiple championships if the Pistons drafted him in 2003.

Of course, Detroit picked Darko Milicic No. 2. Anthony went to the Nuggets No. 3.

But Anthony still had a big opportunity to win a title.

Denver – led by Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Nene, J.R. Smith and Kenyon Martin – reached the 2009 Western Conference finals. Facing the Lakers, the Nuggets lost Game 1 by two points then won Game 2 by three points in Los Angeles. The Lakers then won Games 3, 5 and 6 to take the series.

Anthony on Instagram with Dwyane Wade:

I was sick, because we were supposed to beat them that year. I don’t like saying “We should have.” I don’t like saying all that. But when you re-evaluate everything. We really wanted Orlando in that Finals that year. We was like, “If we get Game 1 in L.A. or Game 2, we’re going back to Denver, we’re sweeping them.” We was going to beat them. We was going to beat them that year if we would’ve won in L.A. If we would’ve won both games, we would’ve beat them. And we would’ve swept Orlando that year.

Wade:

Orlando was alright, but they weren’t –

Anthony:

No, would’ve swept them. We would’ve swept them that year.

Yes, Denver would have likely won the series if taking the first two games in Los Angeles. The Nuggets also would’ve had a strong chance against the Magic, whom the Lakers beat in five in the Finals.

But it’s a major leap just to give Denver another win in Los Angeles. The Lakers were better than the Nuggets throughout the season. The Lakers were better than the Nuggets in that series. The Lakers were better than everyone. They had just reached the NBA Finals the prior season and were on their way to winning consecutive titles. This wasn’t some unfortunate break for Denver.

And even if the Nuggets won Game 2, the series wouldn’t have been over as Anthony says. The Lakers were led by Kobe Bryant and had savvy veterans like Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom and Derek Fisher. They wouldn’t have just folded with a 2-0 deficit.

Sometimes, lesser teams beat better teams. The Nuggets COULD have beaten the Lakers.

But SHOULD have? Nah. Not even close.
x75274
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Melo is right on one thing and wrong on another. The Nuggets would have beaten the Magic. But he has no business saying he should have beaten the Lakers. He would have a more valid point if the Nuggets with the season on the line, beat the Lakers in game 6 to force a game 7. He had everything to play for in that game 6 and the Lakers trashed him and the Nuggets.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject:

5/19/2009

Game intro

Kobe highlights

Trevor steal

Pau highlights

Team highlights

5/21/2009

Game intro

Derek highlights

Kobe highlights

Carmelo highlights

5/23/2009

Game intro

Kobe clutch

Kobe highlights

Kobe interview

Trevor steal

Trevor highlights

Pau highlights

5/25/2009

Game intro

Kobe highlights

Pau highlights

Andrew highlights

5/27/2009

Kobe dunk

Kobe highlights

Shannon dunk

Lamar dunk

5/29/2009

Kobe highlights

Trophy celebration

10/27/2009

Ring ceremony

Ring ceremony cont.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject:

It is 04/2020 and Melo is blazin' all month.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Kobe wasnt gonna lose that year, Nuggets had no chance. Melo should stick with the 'if Pistons drafted him', 'if he waited for summer to join NY instead of forcing them to give away all their assets', 'if he joined Miami' what ifs

Those 3 years, only team i didnt think we beat was Boston. All the other series, i was super confident we win.

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject:

x75274 wrote:
Melo is right on one thing and wrong on another. The Nuggets would have beaten the Magic. But he has no business saying he should have beaten the Lakers. He would have a more valid point if the Nuggets with the season on the line, beat the Lakers in game 6 to force a game 7. He had everything to play for in that game 6 and the Lakers trashed him and the Nuggets.

This. If you get blown out at home with season on the line, you weren’t close to being the champion.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject:

It’s strange that that series was so close when we had swept them in the first round the year prior. The Iverson for Billups trade really made a big difference.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
x75274 wrote:

This. If you get blown out at home with season on the line, you weren’t close to being the champion.

They couldn’t even muster pushing it to 7 games.

If Denver lost on a Game 7 buzzer beater I can understand getting lost in your feelings but you weren’t that close, Melo.
tkLAKERS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject:

I don’t think Melo would be saying this publicly if Kobe was still around.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Wasn't Melo stripped by Ariza in one of those games? Trev had two late steals that sealed two of the Laker wins. I remember him getting in front of slower Melo on at least one of those. This reminds me of Jalen Rose saying the same kind of nonsense about the 2000 Finals as if the Pacers had a chance. He forgot that Miller shat the bed in Gm1, shot 2/16 or thereabouts.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Wasn't Melo by Ariza in one of those games? Trev had two late steals that sealed two of the Laker wins. I remember him getting in front of slower Melo on at least one of those. This reminds me of Jalen Rose saying the same kind of nonsense about the 2000 Finals as if the Pacers had a chance. He forgot that Miller shat the bed in Gm1, shot 2/16 or thereabouts.

Ariza was HUGE in those playoffs overall with a number of game saving plays and big performances in key games. IMO 3rd most important player on the team for that playoff run after Kobe and Pau.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject:

And yet...they did not...
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Denver looked terrific until the 4th quarter of game 5. Kobe said the team figured the Nuggets out, made some adjustments and dominated the final quarter of game 5 and destroyed the Nuggets in Denver in game 6.

Carmelo talking about a sweep after winning games 1 and 2 looks dumb. For all we know Denver could have won the first game, had a letdown and lost to a motivated Lakers team in game 2. It was closer to being 2-0 Lakers because the Lakers were the team that took game 1 and nearly won game 2.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:36 am    Post subject:

based on Melo's methodology, every team should have won the championship every year.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:11 am    Post subject:

Lol.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:32 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
It is 04/2020 and Melo is blazin' all month.

This was my take as well..
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject:

Life is full of ‘what if’s’. Melo probably been blazed since the break he just in his head lol
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject:

I initially laughed when reading this, but to be honest...If Ariza hadn't gotten those steals, it would have been a much tougher/questionable series.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
I initially laughed when reading this, but to be honest...If Ariza hadn't gotten those steals, it would have been a much tougher/questionable series.

This is true. I still remember thinking we were going to lose that one because Denver had so much momentum. The series was pretty much determined in that first game IMO.

It's also one of the reasons why I wish we had Ariza in 2011. I think the series against the Mavs would have been less lopsided if we had some younger legs. Artest, Kobe and Gasol were hobbled and fatigued that season.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

Problem here is if you start taking away the game changing plays from one team (while letting the other team keep theirs, of course) you can pretty much make any series a toss up. The bottom line is that despite the strange lore that series has taken, we took care of them in 6 and annihilated them in the decisive game on their home floor.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject:

dcastillo wrote:
Life is full of ‘what if’s’. Melo probably been blazed since the break he just in his head lol

He is probably wistful for the time when his skills were their most relevant and before he began woefully mismanaging his own career.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
dcastillo wrote:

He is probably wistful for the time when his skills were their most relevant and before he began woefully mismanaging his own career.

Stephen A even said he had the opportunity to sign for a lesser deal in 07; so he can sign with Lebron and Dwade in 2010 but chose the money and longer deal.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Not sure how Melo is “blazing”.

They were definitely our toughest competition that year. I remember thinking if we can just beat Denver we are fine. They had a lot of guys to throw on Kobe and their energy and 3pt shooting was insane. It just didn’t work out for them and they almost stole both games in LA. Came down to a Trevor Ariza steal I think in game 1.

We put the clamps on them in game 6 and embarrassed them. I think that’s why most people forget how competitive that series was. Oh and prime Kobe was not losing to anyone that year and that didn’t help Denver’s case.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject:

tkLAKERS wrote:
I don’t think Melo would be saying this publicly if Kobe was still around.

He would. That’s Kobe’s lil bro. Kobe would fire back and take a dump on him but it doesn’t mean Melo would be afraid to say it. What else is he supposed to say? IMO nuggets were the second best team in the playoffs that year.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Most Western conference teams in 2007 can use that logic as well. "We would have beaten the Cavs." I especially think about the Suns in 2007 who lost Amare in pivotal game 5 suspension against the Spurs. They were the 1 seed that year. They lost game 5 by 3 pts without Amare, and went down 2-3, then lost in 6 at San Antonio. Amare had 38 pts in that game 6. He was a monster back then. With Amare, they win game 5 and if they lose game 6, they'd be in Phoenix for game 7. The Suns would have beaten the Cavs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: