Better Laker: Luke Walton or Devean George?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Better Laker: Luke Walton or Devean George?

I realize that thinking of these two players might make some fans throw up in their mouth. But for the fun of it...
Which player had the bigger impact as a Laker? Which had a better Lakers tenure?

Devean George vs. Luke Walton
- George had a few quality seasons from 2002-2004 as an energy guy backing up Rick Fox. Played fairly well (at least for his standards) as the fifth starter during the 2004 season alongside the four HOF players.
- Walton had the one breakout year in 2006-07, which was statistically better than any of George's, but that was about it. He played OK the following year but was mostly mediocre otherwise.
- Both had a few spotlight moments. George's came against the Spurs in the 2003 playoffs when he turned in an inspirational performance on a sprained ankle. Walton's came in the NBA Finals against the Pistons where he sparked the team to its lone victory.

So, with all things considered, which player do you throw your support behind?
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Walton actually had a pretty solid playoffs in 2005-06. He put up 12 points and almost 7 rebounds per game against the Suns.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Devean.
More athletic, offered more defensive resistance and had a more consistent offensive game. Also could create a spark for the team periodically.

Luke was solid and knew his role, but really outside that one season he struggled with consistency and never really provided a spark. Obviously he had nice passing and fundamentals but not enough to offset his weaknesses.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject:

If we’re talking about useless starting SFs, Vladimir Radmanovich should be in this conversation too.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject:

I also considered a thread debating Chucky Atkins and Smush Parker.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:06 am    Post subject:

Kobe Bryant Proves He Can Win Championship With Luke Walton On Team
ssiknick833
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:38 am    Post subject:

madsen35 wrote:
I also considered a thread debating Chucky Atkins and Smush Parker.

Tough times.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject:

They're fairly equivalent. Both hard-working players who we're okay reserves and occasionally thrust into the starting lineup because there wasn't anyone better on the roster.

Walton had one pretty good season so so he had the better Peak. But it wasn't that much better and George beats him a little bit on longevity
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject:

I thought Devean George was excellent in the role of a guy with incredible atheticism, who could play defense with energy, hit the occaisonal three and the occaisional highlight finish. 20 minute per game kind of guy.

Unfortunately, I also thought he could have been much more than that, but he never developed beyond that role.
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject:

What about Farmar or Sasha? Who would you guys rather have?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject:

madsen35 wrote:
What about Farmar or Sasha? Who would you guys rather have?

About the same. Couple of end of the bench rotation players. Sasha hit a couple of free throws at the end of the game 7 finals over Celtics, so give it to him.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
They're fairly equivalent. Both hard-working players who we're okay reserves and occasionally thrust into the starting lineup because there wasn't anyone better on the roster.

Walton had one pretty good season so so he had the better Peak. But it wasn't that much better and George beats him a little bit on longevity

Both re-signings were fumbled by Mitch/Jim back then. The processes for both were AWFUL in their own ways.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject:

LakersInFour wrote:
I thought Devean George was excellent in the role of a guy with incredible atheticism, who could play defense with energy, hit the occaisonal three and the occaisional highlight finish. 20 minute per game kind of guy.

Unfortunately, I also thought he could have been much more than that, but he never developed beyond that role.

Yup! I am also pretty piss about the season where Mitch was being his usual conservative dumas self and decided not to pick Devean’s option. Resulting in the team not having the MLE because it was used to resign Devean.

Believe the player we missed out on was Chauncey Billups ugh
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: