2009 Game 5 and 2010 Game 7 on ESPN today

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanderBlue'sJersey
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: 2009 Game 5 and 2010 Game 7 on ESPN today

at 4pm PST, ESPN will show 2009 Game 5 v Orlando, followed by 2010 Game 7 v Boston, back to back (like our titles)

Enjoy 5 hours of celebration!
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Good to know! Thanks.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Aww man. I knew about 2010 Game 7 but I didn’t know about 2009 Game 5 until JUST now. I would’ve liked to watch that one again. Ah well...
LakersAlldaWay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Forgot that Ty Lue was a player on that Magic team. For a player of his caliber he’s put together a pretty incredible NBA career when you think about the teams he’s been on and the players he’s been associated with. I still remember Chicky describing him as a bug on a windshield when he ran into centers or a salmon swimming upstream. I’m sure he regrets not taking the Laker gig but glad he turned it down.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Kobe with his daughters after winning the championship. They all look so happy too.

Last edited by Steve007 on Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject:

That game 5 win was impressive. The team could have just given a lazy effort and tried to win game 6 at home. That’s what the 2000 team did. But the 2009 team didn’t (bleep) around in the Finals. They did that against a severely depleted Rockets team but not in the Finals.

Last edited by Steve007 on Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Game 4 of the 2009 finals is one of my favorite games ever. I don't remember game 5 as well.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Man they really double and tripled team kobe.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject:

That late Rondo three hurt my entire soul at the time lol
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Game 7 of the 2010 NBA Finals was like an exorcism.

Best. Win. Ever.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject:

I watched some of Game 5 from 2009. I'm not one to go back and watch old games, so this may have been the first time I've seen the game since it was actually played. That's 11 years ago.

1. I was struck by how good we were when it came to the little things. It seemed like everyone on the team was going for loose balls, muscling for rebounds, and harassing the Magic on defense. I realize that this was the NBA Finals, not the regular season. But that team just had a certain mentality. I'd forgotten what that was like. To a large degree, we won the game by out "little-thinging" them.

2. I was struck by the tactical game that Kobe was playing. During the section I watched, it seemed like his goal was to demoralize Dwight Howard. He succeeded. More generally, Kobe broke the spirit of the whole Magic team, even when he wasn't having one of his better shooting nights. The Magic were ready to go home.

3. I had forgotten how much of an impact Odom had on the team. In fact, I had an epiphany of sorts: Odom is what a lot of people want Kuzma to be. I'd never made that connection before.

4. I'd forgotten how effective Gasol could be on the defensive end when he was locked in. He was locked in for this game.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Game 4 of the 2009 finals is one of my favorite games ever. I don't remember game 5 as well.

I can still vividly remember Kobe’s spinning behind the back pass to Gasol for the jam that got the lead to 3 with around 30 seconds left before Dwight missed both free throws.

I’ve seen that replay countless times and I still have no idea how he made that pass.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:56 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I watched some of Game 5 from 2009. I'm not one to go back and watch old games, so this may have been the first time I've seen the game since it was actually played. That's 11 years ago.

1. I was struck by how good we were when it came to the little things. It seemed like everyone on the team was going for loose balls, muscling for rebounds, and harassing the Magic on defense. I realize that this was the NBA Finals, not the regular season. But that team just had a certain mentality. I'd forgotten what that was like. To a large degree, we won the game by out "little-thinging" them.

2. I was struck by the tactical game that Kobe was playing. During the section I watched, it seemed like his goal was to demoralize Dwight Howard. He succeeded. More generally, Kobe broke the spirit of the whole Magic team, even when he wasn't having one of his better shooting nights. The Magic were ready to go home.

3. I had forgotten how much of an impact Odom had on the team. In fact, I had an epiphany of sorts: Odom is what a lot of people want Kuzma to be. I'd never made that connection before.

4. I'd forgotten how effective Gasol could be on the defensive end when he was locked in. He was locked in for this game.

I agree wholeheartedly, I had a very similar experience: that Gasol and Odom are underrated by a significant portion of the Laker fanbase today, Odom especially.
While Odom wasn't a 3-shooter, he would have elevated today's team to certain championship favorites, and unfortunately, he would still have been the focus of the fanbase's criticism for not scoring enough, not making enough 3's etc. etc. The guy was so smooth and so natural and such a team player.
And Gasol, he was head and shoulders above Davis in offensive capability - so gifted and so skilled, and, as you note, so very underrated on defense.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject:

Let’s not forget the Machine calmly sinking two free throws to put the game away at the end!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Odom is one of my favorite Lakers ever. A great complimentary piece, filling all kinds of gaps.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Let’s not forget the Machine calmly sinking two free throws to put the game away at the end!

So clutch given the situation. I believe he barely played in game 7 and then to be put in for the final seconds and to have to take to free throws knowing that missing one could lead to OT and missing both could lead to losing the championship (assuming they hit a 3).
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

That game took a lot out of me, sort of changed my perspective of watching sports. Refs let Dwight do whatever but not Kobe, LO helped well and still challanged Lewis, Fish's bailout 3's, just too much, great game.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

That game took a lot out of me, sort of changed my perspective of watching sports. Refs let Dwight do whatever but not Kobe, LO helped well and still challanged Lewis, Fish's bailout 3's, just too much, great game.

Bill Simmons( I know I know) did a podcast on that game 4. Even he said how much the refs favored the Magic by wanting to extend the series. What never gets talked about is Jameer Nelson sagging off so much off Fisher on that 3 pointer to tie the game to go to overtime. Like does he not know who DFish was?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: