Gianna Maria Onore Bryant (Mambacita)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Gianna Maria Onore Bryant (Mambacita)

Learning of Kobe's passing broke my heart. And when news that his 13-year old daughter had also passed, that literally ripped my heart out.

Gianna Bryant was basically a twin of her Dad, she was another Kobe Bryant.

I'm a Dad with 2 of my own, they're young and don't really know who Kobe the player is, but we love basketball and watch both NBA and WNBA and one of the things I was hoping to see with my kids 4-5 years from now is to see Gigi Bryant play in a WNBA game so I can tell my kids, "I watched her Dad for all his 20 years playing basketball", hoping my kids could experience something similar to what I experienced with Kobe.

Some touching articles written about Gianna Bryant.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/03/31/the-fourth-quarter

Quote:
Mambacita Mentality at 3 Years of Age

Bryant and his wife, Vanessa, have two daughters, Natalia and Gianna, who are eleven and seven, and interested in soccer. Fatherhood has given Bryant an opportunity to consider the nature-nurture debate in terms of competitiveness, a subject of consuming interest.

Natalia, he says, is “competitive but in a respectful way,” whereas Gianna is “insanely, insanely competitive—like, mean.” He recalled playing Candyland with her when she was three, and confronting the inevitable question of whether or not to let her win. “You know, it’s my move,” he said. “She obviously can see that I can win, so she’ll know that I’m not-winning on purpose. Then what’s that teaching? So I just play the game, I win—and the kid goes ape (bleep). She knocked the board over. ‘Baaaaaaa!’ I was, like, ‘(bleep), the kid’s like me. Damn it.’ ” He flashed a toothy smile, as disarming as his glare—celebrated by fans online as the Kobe Death Stare.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/story/2020-01-26/kobe-bryant-daughter-gianna-basketball-crash-death

Quote:
Kobe: It's a Trip How Genetics (Gianna) Work

The last time I sat down with Kobe Bryant was at his office in Costa Mesa before the season opener between the Lakers and Clippers in October. He laughed when I asked him if he would be at the game.

I knew he wouldn’t be there. He had a more important game to attend that night. He was going to be at a high school gym 40 miles away to watch his 16-year-old daughter, Natalia, play volleyball.

He rarely went to Lakers games after retiring in 2016. It wasn’t that he didn’t love the Lakers. He loved his family more and loved spending time with his wife, Vanessa, and their daughters, Natalia, Gianna, 13, Bianka, 3, and Capri, who was born last June.

“I have a life and I have my routine at home,” Bryant said in October. “It’s not that I don’t want to go [to Lakers games], but I’d rather be giving B.B. a shower and sing Barney songs to her. I played 20 years and I missed those moments before.

“For me to make the trip up to Staples Center, that means I’m missing an opportunity to spend another night with my kids when I know how fast it goes. … I want to make sure the days that I’m away from them are days that I absolutely have to be. I’d rather be with them than doing anything else.”

Bryant had a special relationship with Gianna. She was his shadow at the end of his career and in retirement. She routinely traveled to work with him and he loved coaching her and her basketball teammates at the Mamba Sports Academy, a training center he opened in Thousand Oaks.

He and Gianna were headed there for a game Sunday when their helicopter crashed in Calabasas, killing everyone on board.

The only magazine in the lobby of Bryant’s office is the SLAM in which he appeared on the cover with Gianna and her teammates in their black and white Mamba uniforms.

“It’s a trip to see her move and some of the expressions she makes,” Bryant said of Gianna. “It’s a trip how genetics work.”

When I saw Bryant and Gianna at the Sparks’ season opener in Las Vegas last May, he said he thought it was funny when fans asked him when he would have a son to carry on the basketball legacy. He said the family name was already in good hands.

“This one,” Bryant said, pointing to Gianna. “She’s something else.”

It wasn’t a surprise that Bryant was flying to a game with Gianna on Sunday. They were inseparable. He loved taking her to basketball games and talking to her about different plays, tendencies and adjustments.

“What I love about Gigi is her curiosity about the game,” Bryant said. “She’s very curious. Even in a heated situation in a game where it’s going back and forth, she can detach herself and come to me and ask a very specific question, which is not common. She’ll come over and say, ‘OK, on this particular trap when I’m trying to close the gap but she’s getting on the outside, do I need to change my angle?’ It’s a very specific question. That’s pretty damn cool.”

Bryant said Gianna was “hell-bent” on going to Connecticut to play for coach Geno Auriemma. He actually took her to some games where she met the Huskies and Auriemma in the locker room. In retirement, Bryant’s focus when it came to basketball was on Gianna. He didn’t worry how he would be remembered, he just wanted to be there for his daughter and watch her play the game they loved.

“My job is to create the memories and moments,” he said in discussing his legacy. “It’s someone else’s job to create the rest.”

https://mariashriver.com/basketball-legend-kobe-bryant-on-life-after-the-nba-how-hes-inspiring-a-new-generation-to-dream-big/

Quote:
"Being a Father is my Greatest Accomplishment"

Being a father is the thing I am most proud of in this world; it’s my greatest accomplishment. I’ve learned so much, but perhaps the most profound thing has been the fierce, unconditional love you have for your children when you become a parent. I’m blessed to have had that experience four times now and there’s nothing more powerful in this world.

Kobe coaching his daughter's team (Mamba 101):

Collection of some Kobe interviews talking about Gigi:

RIP Kobe, RIP Gigi.

Last edited by Jordan-esque on Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:22 pm; edited 5 times in total
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject:

I really feel Gigi was on her way to becoming the WNBA goat, I mean look at her footwork and the moves she's putting on these girls

Quote:

He wasn't lying bro
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Villain6Activated wrote:
I really feel Gigi was on her way to becoming the WNBA goat, I mean look at her footwork and the moves she's putting on these girls

Quote:

He wasn't lying bro

She had a bright future, thanks for the video.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject:

RIP GiGi. 13 years old... Damn. My heart is broken.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Times like this it is worth believing, even if wrong, in an after life/Heaven.

Quote:
"This kid, man... I'm telling you," he said. "The best thing that happens is when we go out, and fans will come up to me, and she'll be standing next to me, and they will be like, 'You gotta have a boy, you and V [wife Vanessa] gotta have a boy, man, to have somebody carry on the tradition, the legacy.' And [Gigi] is like, 'I got this!'" Bryant said. "That's right. Yes, you do. You got this."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kobe-bryant-talks-daughter-gianna-los-angeles-lakers-nba-01-27-2020/
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Freakin heartbreaking
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject:

I loved Gianna. She was the future. She was his heir. One thing I already knocked Kobe on (constructive criticism) was his small hands...and I remember feeling so ecstatic because Gigi had these big hands with long fingers, along with her long wing span, almost like Giannis. I was so proud of that, along with her talent, just so proud. Man, it's tough.
Iron Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject:

This video:

Coach Kobe is intense.

He made a six year plan of 7 days a week workout, no days off, twice in the summer. Running basketball plays based on the type of sound he makes... for 12 year old girls.

It pays off though since Gigi's team beat opponents by around 60 points.

Quote:
There is still a place for basketball in Bryant’s life.

Most noticeably, the former guard occasionally works out with an exclusive group of rising NBA and WNBA stars. “Players can call,” he says. “We can talk. If I have time, I’ll train them.”

Despite their virality on IG and Twitter, those sessions are a rarity. Think hours, not days, this past summer. More notably, Bryant coaches Gigi—his 12-year-old daughter—and her AAU team. Now that team, and those young girls, practice under his tutelage five times a week.

On a recent school night, Coach Bryant and the group gathered at a nondescript OC gym. The team was getting together for a SLAM photo shoot. Practice, just this once, was postponed. The girls appeared delighted. New crisp reversible black-and-white MAMBA jerseys, with their individual names on the back, were handed out and immediately donned. Parents took pictures, as did a professional photographer. Little more than 20 minutes into the shoot, Bryant pulled the photographer, an old friend, aside and asked how much longer he needed. The team, he said, only had the gym reserved for two hours and Bryant had decided he wanted to get a practice in.

With an internal clock tick-ticking away, the photographer hurriedly snapped a few more shots, tore down a white seamless that was spilling onto the court and abruptly ended the shoot. It was time for the players to play, coaches to coach. Over the course of the next hour, Bryant and two other coaches ran an impromptu-yet-organized practice. The girls, accustomed to the routine and pace, ran through the workout with little wasted motion and even less wasted time.

They focused on their ability to finish around the rim, plus footwork and handles. At least twice, Bryant stopped everything and provided the entire team with a Detail-level lesson on ball movement and spacing. By the time the team started scrimmaging, it was obvious that Bryant was serious about teaching and the girls were equally serious about learning.

That’s not to say the girls are ready for DI ball. There is still a lot for them to learn as both individuals and a team.

“You should have seen us six months ago,” says Bryant. “The girls are making incredible progress. Just wait until you see us in six years.”

Six years. That is what Bryant said. Six years, after which the entire roster will be college-aged. Six years after which the girls will be brimming full of Mamba Mentality and experts on the triangle. Six years, or more than a max-length contract, is how much time Coach Bryant has committed to this team and these girls.

To that end, Bryant is playing a long game with the team. That means not pointing out every little mistake, not correcting every lapse in the triangle, not attempting to teach them everything in mere months that it took him 40 years to learn.

“I have a year-by-year plan for them,” says Bryant. He cuts an imposing figure in a pair of signature black Nike Kobe ADs, black pants and Mamba-emblazoned top. “We are going to keep adding pieces on a schedule I’ve already mapped out.”

As much as writing gets his “juices flowing” and business deals keep his coffers full, Bryant still clearly loves the game that provided those opportunities. It’s hard, then, not to imagine him one day hopping in a helicopter, like he did during his latter years as a Laker, and guiding the current Lakers back to prominence. It’s even harder not to imagine his friends and Laker execs Jeanie Buss, Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka not embracing his presence in the building. If not right now, when LeBron could likely use his guidance, then in six years when Gigi is off wearing a college uniform.

“The answer is no, I’m not doing it,” says Bryant. He cuts off any follow-up question and continues. “I’m not interested. It’s not even a couple years. I’m just not interested. I don’t want to be a GM. I don’t want to own a team. I don’t want to coach. I have no interest in any of that. That’s an easy answer for me.”

Kobe Bryant is busy with his business. Busy with his books. Busy with his little Mambas.

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/kobe-bryant-cover-story/
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject:

You know what? As I watched a tribute to Gigi, I was and still am impressed with her and her teammates. I can see future WNBA stars on that team. At least, as I counted, there were 5 girls including Gigi that would no doubt be heading to Uconn or other top women programs and then WNBA.

The Black Mamba did a superb job preparing them.
Too bad, two of the girls and their coach gone too soon.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject:

Damn, she was going to be the WNBA Kobe, maybe better. She already that hunger to keep learning that Kobe had, and that wingspan of hers wow!

RIP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Damn, she was going to be the WNBA Kobe, maybe better. She already that hunger to keep learning that Kobe had, and that wingspan of hers wow!

RIP

She was born to play the game. She was gifted with the physical attributes. You're so right, her wingspan at just 13 years old. She was long and athletic, and she could jump man...she had hops, she had a fadeaway, she could drive, she could defend, she was a fierce competitor man, preparing to change not just women's basketball, but female sports as a whole. Heck, I wouldn't have been surprised if Kobe was preparing her to make a run at the NBA quite honestly with her talent.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject:

Don't get me wrong...the loss of Kob is tragic. But you can argue he lived more life in his 41 years than most of us. Taken way too young, but it would have been easier for me personally to move on.

What gets to me the most are the 3 young girls. Just soooo much life left unrealized. I'm not going to act like I would have followed GiGi's career like Kob's but I'm sure our kids may have followed her. Our kids may have looked to those girls as inspiration to become the next...

Its just all so sad, but when you see all these interviews, I noticed that most of these grown men/women start to break down when the mention of GiGi comes into the conversation. Personally, I know I couldn't ever be the baller that Kob was, but I could become the super dad he was for his girls. That Tmac interview still gets to me, cause you know as a baller Tmac could relate to Kob, but when he mentions GiGi's jumpshot being like Kob's, dude absolutely loses it in the interview and that's just a dad thing. At that moment in time, Tmac could relate to Kob the father more than Kob the soon to be HOF baller. You never ever want your kids to suffer.

Its just so sad to lose life, but young life gets to me all the time and to have it where it could have all been avoided if not for a series of poor judgement.

Either way, thanks for sharing this and I read somewhere Kob's eldest had an asthmatic episode when she got the news of this accident. I just hope there is no more untimely pain/death than there has to be for those families. They have suffered enough.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject:

You're absolutely right vas, and I can recall a moment on Tuesday where I was staring at a picture of Kobe frozen in time and for the first time in my life, after following this man his entire career since he was a young kid pre-draft going on talk shows telling myself man, I would love if we drafted this kid, where I saw him as just a father. Not the superhero basketball legend...but simply a dad. It was just a mind blowing feeling that I can't really explain in detail.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
You're absolutely right vas, and I can recall a moment on Tuesday where I was staring at a picture of Kobe frozen in time and for the first time in my life, after following this man his entire career since he was a young kid pre-draft going on talk shows telling myself man, I would love if we drafted this kid, where I saw him as just a father. Not the superhero basketball legend...but simply a dad. It was just a mind blowing feeling that I can't really explain in detail.

Yeah, I'm with you bro. Its hard to explain, cause the loss of Kob hurts, but those 3 girls just personally makes it sooooo much more worse.

They trust us growns with things they just can't do by themselves at that age. So the least we can do is make sure they're protected. Kobe is doing his super dad thing and he paid good money to see it through. He trusted his and his family and his friends with their lives....you gotta honor that trust and make better decisions.

It frustrates me to no end when I see those "child on board" decals on minivans and they flying 90mph down the highway. Like wtf are you thinking? These kids' lives are in your hands! /rant

Anyways, #Mambacita could hoop and she would have carried Kob's legacy, no doubt. The whole event is just so sad and Kob's second act as a father and a champion for women's sports had such promise to it. Just so so frustrating! /rants
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject:

GiGi was going to get me to watch the WNBA. I was legit going to become a fan and catch their games. Just think how many million others would have done the same, how much that would have benefited the WNBA. I can't believe the impact of this tragedy. GiGi was going to be a star and I was planning on being there for the whole ride.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject:

^Mamba Ballers aka Gigi's team, they're all ballers, all of them.

Gianna Bryant #2
Alyssa Altobelli #5
Payton Chester #14

RIP

@9:18 Proud coach Kobe teaching some fundamentals of the Triangle. Kobe wasn't just teaching Gigi to be the sole heir, he was teaching all those girls everyone in that team to be his heirs.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC-EaHehIQk

Gianna Bryant #2
Alyssa Altobelli #5
Payton Chester #14

RIP

@9:18 Proud coach Kobe teaching some fundamentals of the Triangle. Kobe wasn't just teaching Gigi to be the sole heir, he was teaching all those girls everyone in that team to be his heirs.
this (bleep) is like straight out of a karate movie. The master of all masters opens his own dojo and teaches his style to a bunch of kids who grow up to become these unbeatables. (bleep)... What could've been...
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Mambacita was the same beast, but a different animal as her pops. Such a terrible loss for the next generation to look to as ours did to Kob.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Surf2Reckless/status/1221566616653258758

Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Mambacita was the same beast, but a different animal as her pops. Such a terrible loss for the next generation to look to as ours did to Kob.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Surf2Reckless/status/1221566616653258758

Is there a cleaner version of this video without the VHS logos on screen?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:

Gianna Bryant #2
Alyssa Altobelli #5
Payton Chester #14

RIP

This video just took me back to Monday/Tuesday type feelings.

I love that man so much. What a special special special person he was. RIP Kobe. RIP Gigi
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject:

Still hurting along with everyone else.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Gianna Bryant #2
Alyssa Altobelli #5
Payton Chester #14

RIP

This video just took me back to Monday/Tuesday type feelings.

I love that man so much. What a special special special person he was. RIP Kobe. RIP Gigi
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject:

Villain6Activated wrote:

Quote:

He wasn't lying bro

I was looking forward to debating whether or not Gianna would be the first woman in the NBA in ten years after her fourth straight NCAA championship at UCONN. Still doesn’t feel real that Kobe and his daughter are gone when I see videos and pictures of them all over online that were just a few weeks old.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject:

Villain6Activated wrote:

Quote:

He wasn't lying bro

Kobe said herself that she was better than he was at the same age.

There's no doubt she was the next one. And she was learning everything from him and had his work ethic already. Losing them both at the same time was a gigantic loss to take. Not just because they are gone, but all that was lost that the world will never get to experience.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Villain6Activated wrote:

Quote:

He wasn't lying bro

Kobe said herself that she was better than he was at the same age.

There's no doubt she was the next one. And she was learning everything from him and had his work ethic already. Losing them both at the same time was a gigantic loss to take. Not just because they are gone, but all that was lost that the world will never get to experience.
i think that is what hit/is hitting me the hardest. She could've been in the WNBA in like 6 years. We got robbed of the possibility to still watch Kobe, but through his mini me Gianna. (bleep)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: