Rosen on triangle spacing

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nesli
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Rosen on triangle spacing

Quote:
Seeing that opposing teams now double- and triple-team Kobe whenever he touches the ball, how does the triangle offense compensate for that? What makes it so difficult for the young Lakers to get to the right spots? — Joon

Charley Rosen:If the triangle is functioning properly, it's difficult for defenses to anticipate not only where Kobe will receive the ball, but also where his teammates will be when he does. The problems for the defense, then, are these: Where should the double-team come from? Which other Laker should be left unguarded? How far will the designated doubler have to come to two-time Kobe? And if the doubler is variable, then so is the defensive rotation behind him. That's why Jordan and Kobe (in the Shaq years) were rarely effectively doubled. Most teams just come with the nearest defender, or double from specified help areas.

It's not only young players who have difficulty understanding the whys and wherefores of the triangle. Karl Malone and Gary Payton never caught on during their abbreviated stopovers in L.A. The main hindrances are habit and lack of awareness. Before Glen Rice became a Laker, he was accustomed to receiving the ball on a wing or in the low post. Consequently, he saw any deviation from this pattern as threatening his effectiveness (and his next contract). Scorers are used to catching the ball in their comfort zones, not passing, cutting, then depending on a teammate to deliver the ball in the right space at the right time. Doing this is an act of faith, a quality that many NBA players sorely lack.

Also, many NBA players of all ages lack the court awareness to be able to play five-on-five basketball. One-on-one is their delight. Two-on-two they can understand. Three-on-three is often a stretch. Anything more complex remains a mystery.

Why is this so? Blame the media for emphasizing on-the-ball-skills and individualistic highlights. Blame high school and college coaches for propagating their own lack of awareness. Blame NBA general managers for rewarding individual talent and slighting team-oriented players. Blame the players for taking the easy way out. And blame the fans of Sports America for buying the entire spectacular, but short-sighted package.

Young (and old) players can't (or are unwilling to) grasp the principles of the triangle for the same reasons why the most recent incarnations of Team USA have done so poorly in international competition.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Won't say this much - Good stuff from Rosen.

All of that is very true. When this team runs the Triangle properly (like against the Kings) Kobe is even more lethal as defeneses can't really double or triple him easily.

Everyone becomes a threat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LA_UNION
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject:

In any offense, spacing is paramount to be successful. The triangle just magnifies that.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Won't say this much - Good stuff from Rosen.

All of that is very true. When this team runs the Triangle properly (like against the Kings) Kobe is even more lethal as defeneses can't really double or triple him easily.

Everyone becomes a threat.
, that may have been his finiest peice of work, no bashing, and solid points. Is this the same rosen , i ask, u think maybe he's on the trading block, trying to swing a deal to espn.com...i smell an odom here
Achilles
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject:

I think it's obvious that the kinder gentler Rosen has emerged because of Phil returning to coach Kobe. Phil probably told him to lay off all the "kid Kobe" stuff because he's trying to regain Kobe's trust. It's nice and all but it's also further proof that Rosen is nothing more than Phil's yes man.
cmoney
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject:

Good read from Rosen.
mj23thegoat
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject:

LOL..how is someone gonna write on the complexities of the triangle and the lakers problems when this guy doesnt even know the ins and outs himself... trust me... this is coming from someone who ran it in high school.. ITS NOT THAT HARD OF AN OFFENSE TO LEARN...
OshadowO
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject:

^i'm not sure about that. By PJ and Tex's own admission the offense takes a long while to grasp. I think I'll go with their word on that thank you very much :p

However the fact that is a tough offense to grasp is no excuse for guys to be plain lazy. You don't need a degree to know that if a team mate is doubled try and help him out by moving to a spot where he can get you an outlet pass. Or how about cutting to the hoop once in a while as opposed to standing around and watching. Both Laker ball handlers, Kobe and Lamar(even when he's not concentrating) are good enough to find guys even if the offensive set is broken. Its just that guys don't seem to be willing to put the work in a lot of times
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject:

Wow - Rosen wrote something that made me nod my head up and down instead of making me want to go throw up.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
slaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject:

mj23thegoat wrote:
LOL..how is someone gonna write on the complexities of the triangle and the lakers problems when this guy doesnt even know the ins and outs himself... trust me... this is coming from someone who ran it in high school.. ITS NOT THAT HARD OF AN OFFENSE TO LEARN...

Oh yeah??? Try teaching it to 9th graders who never even played organized ball before...

That was my misfortune as we had a coach who had just graduated from Long Beach State and was a fanatic about the triangle...

We were all like...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: