Should Lakers resign Demarcus Cousins now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
I honestly don't think Cousins will ever be a productive player again. His body is failing him, he had some liabilities even at his best, and we saw how even a big with good speed and quickness like Dwight could only help against certain teams. But I do feel kind of sorry for DeMarcus so I won't be mad at all if he returns as a Laker but I really won't expect anything from him at all.

That’s a good point, Howard comes from an era where big lumbering bigs were actually playable, and he is as mobile as bigs of that era were. Although he has lost a step, if he is unplayable against certain teams, what does that mean for less mobile big men?

What does that mean for someone with DMC’s injuries?

That’s why bigs like Al Jefferson ended up in Big3. I bet Big Al would still be in the NBA if it was still 2010.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
Bol wrote:
I honestly don't think Cousins will ever be a productive player again. His body is failing him, he had some liabilities even at his best, and we saw how even a big with good speed and quickness like Dwight could only help against certain teams. But I do feel kind of sorry for DeMarcus so I won't be mad at all if he returns as a Laker but I really won't expect anything from him at all.

That’s a good point, Howard comes from an era where big lumbering bigs were actually playable, and he is as mobile as bigs of that era were. Although he has lost a step, if he is unplayable against certain teams, what does that mean for less mobile big men?

That’s why bigs like Al Jefferson ended up in Big3. I bet Big Al would still be in the NBA if it was still 2010.

Jokic seems to be fine keeping up in today’s era... He is no where mobile or athletic as Cousins in one leg.

Cousins will cost you pennies compare to Jokic.

Did you just compare Al Jefferson to Cousins?
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Is there any indication he wants to come back to the Lakers for his attempted comeback? I mean, it would be a good spot for him. He has played with AD. But he really could chose any place, right?
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Dumhead wrote:
Is there any indication he wants to come back to the Lakers for his attempted comeback? I mean, it would be a good spot for him. He has played with AD. But he really could chose any place, right?

Just speculations for now being bff with AD and when the Lakers released him, that he was still rehabbing with the Lakers. Also rumored that he had a promised contract with the Lakers if he comes back healthy. Will he take it? That’s the question.

Also AD called him after we won telling him he can get a ring. Maybe he would want come back and really earn it.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
If he is willing to take the minimum again, it’s an investment along the same lines as Dwight Howard this past season. I don’t really mind that. But I draw the line at anything that asks him to be a main contributor (and to hold that expectation of him) for next year.

I agree with you on this much. There's no reason to expect Cousins to come back after all of those injuries and return to his prior form. If that seemed likely, we'd never get him for the minimum. After all, he was a four-time all-star and was second team all-NBA twice. If anyone thought he was likely to regain that sort of form, there would be a bidding war. But if the scenario involves us signing him for the minimum as an investment, then sure.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
j-dawg wrote:
Bol wrote:

Jokic seems to be fine keeping up in today’s era... He is no where mobile or athletic as Cousins in one leg.

Cousins will cost you pennies compare to Jokic.

Did you just compare Al Jefferson to Cousins?

Not, not at all. They just all come from the same era. I could also throw in Andrew Bynum and Roy Hibbert as well. But it’s a different era now.

Jokic is a very unique player to say the least. You can’t stop a guy like Jokic, but you can get under his skin and outmuscle him. He’s still going to get his points, you just have to wear him down in time.

Dwight has shown that he can do that

I don’t think DMC can. As we have seen since college, DMC gets frustrated when he goes up against a guy who’s not afraid to go at it with him. Lead the league in T’s for a few years. He’s not a one on one defender. As a Lakers fan, we saw him get frustrated by Pau and Andrew. Although he also got his points, we saw he wasn’t that kind of defender.

His best weapon against Jokic is to attack him back on offense, but would he even get the ball enough to “go at” Jokic? Would we really give him touches on offense? He won’t have the ball in his hands like he did in Sacramento, or even in the same capacity as when he was in New Orleans or Golden State for that matter. We saw this Laker team ignore Dwight when he was right under the basket.

The question is, how effective can DMC be if we use him in the same capacity as we used Dwight and Javale? I say that because that’s the type of role he would need to play for this particular team. Again, no Sacramento touches. No New Orleans touches. Not even Golden State touches. It will be Dwight Howard/Javale McGee 2019-20 touches for DeMarcus. How effective can he be with that on his plate (IF healthy)?
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject:

He will be getting Kuzma touches... If he stays healthy you just don’t sign him to be like Dwight or McGee because he’s way too skilled offensively compare to those guys. Cousins put up those numbers in gsw with 3 other volume shooters. We have what two in Bron/AD?

Like I said depending on how healthy he is. He becomes this teams 3rd option if signed. I dont think Lakers sign him to be an end of the rotation guy like Waiters/Dudley/Smith/Cook. He will contributing if he is signed.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject:

I’m not sure about that. I mean, if it was a video game, it would be easy to make sure he gets to play a certain role on the team. But it is not. We have to remember that Kuzma is primarily a spot up shooter. Would we be using DMC as a spot up shooter? I’m not sure how good that would turn out for us.

For years, people have theorized that you can just plug in certain players into certain positions and have them play certain roles that they are not accustomed to. But it doesn’t work out that way. If we wanted to give DMC Kuzma shots (meaning, ~12 shots per game at minimum) it would require a willingness to give him the ball more so than us just passing the ball to Kuzma to take wide open 3’s. We would have to take the ball out of LeBron’s hands, AD’s hands and Rondo’s hands, and give the ball to DMC. Suddenly that’s a different look offensively.

We really could’ve signed Carmelo in theory, and could’ve really signed him. But it was clear that (for whatever reason) we thought he wouldn’t fit into our scheme. I think DeMarcus presents the same issues as Carmelo. If you were in favor of Carmelo, I could see why you are in favor of DMC. If you were against Carmelo, then you should also be against DMC because the same reasons applied as to why they are good players, but also why they may ultimately not fit into our team in the grand scheme of things.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
So a Dwight/Cousins or Javale/Cousins combo will be great.

Dwight/Cousins-OK.
Javale/Cousins-yuck.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject:

What I mean he will be getting Kuzma’s touches. Does not mean he becomes a spot up shooter. He is a more polished offensive player than Kuzma. You can run any plays for him. Look at his highlights with GSW most of his offense came within the flow of the offense. Unlike Dwight and McGee you have to worry about him in offense. Which opens thing up more for both AD/Lebron.

You just dont put up those numbers in GSW for nothing after coming back from a major achilles injury. That accounts for somethings and nothing to be dismissed.

But it still comes down to him staying healthy. His skills is never the question.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
AD23 wrote:

Dwight/Cousins-OK.
Javale/Cousins-yuck.

I hope I am wrong, but I think the latter is very possible for next year
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
The Lakers have still been helping him rehab and taking care of him, and his instagram messages hint that he may be coming back to the Lakers, so hopefully he does.

I hope so.

I just want the guy healthy enough to contribute 10-15 valuable spot minutes.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Ok, I don’t think we will get an agreement on that point, as I simply disagree that the Lakers would be willing to give DMC that much of the piece of the pie.
I don’t think we will get an agreement.

Let’s just address one question:

Do you think DeMarcus Cousins can be effective on both sides of the ball, if he were to split minutes with Javale McGee or Dwight Howard, while getting 5 shots per game and about 15-17 minutes per game?

I ask that question because I think that’s the role that we will likely give him
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
AD23 wrote:

Dwight/Cousins-OK.
Javale/Cousins-yuck.

The latter was the plan until Cousins tore his ACL
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
j-dawg wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
AD23 wrote:

Dwight/Cousins-OK.
Javale/Cousins-yuck.

Scary thought: Is that latter combo a championship team or no?
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
AD23 wrote:
j-dawg wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
AD23 wrote:

Dwight/Cousins-OK.
Javale/Cousins-yuck.

Scary thought: Is that latter combo a championship team or no?

Considering Javale has proven to be unplayable for most of the playoffs, it’s probably not advisable to rely on a guy coming off back to back Achilles/ACL tears to be the only other 5 on the roster.

EDIT: Of course AD will be playing a ton of 5 in the playoffs but he doesn’t want that wear and tear during the regular season either. Can Cousins make it through a full season?

Last edited by LakersMD on Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
Ok, I don’t think we will get an agreement on that point, as I simply disagree that the Lakers would be willing to give DMC that much of the piece of the pie.
I don’t think we will get an agreement.

Let’s just address one question:

Do you think DeMarcus Cousins can be effective on both sides of the ball, if he were to split minutes with Javale McGee or Dwight Howard, while getting 5 shots per game and about 15-17 minutes per game?

I ask that question because I think that’s the role that we will likely give him

It will depend on how healthy he is... Just say we get 60-70% Cousins then I see him playing a bigger role than McGee. I also don’t think will have all 3 of them next season. McGee most likely traded, hoping he opts out. All I know Lakers won’t bring him if he can no longer play or just be an end of the bench guy. If they sign him it means his healthy and will be a contributor.
statyin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Yes, I say we resign Cousins if we can. I think the problem with Dwight and Javale is they both can't stretch the floor. Cousins although is not a good outside shooter, he is still better than what Javale and Dwight can give us beyond the restricted area.

It is a much lower risk gamble compared to signing Dwight last mid-season. If we can get anything left in the tank from Cousins, it will be a plus.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject:

I'd be down to sign DMC for the vet's minimum.

But those of you who are expecting him to become a good player again are asking to be disappointed.

A few people mentioned the stats he put up last season for GSW. Number one, those came before his quad injury and before he tore his ACL. Second, he shot badly from downtown. Third, his defense and mobility sucked.

I really don't get the bromance people have for DMC, considering he's had three career-threatening injuries in the last 2.5 years. Realistically, he'd be a serviceable backup center who can get somewhat exposed - and that's if he puts aside his big ego and willingly accepts a drastically reduced role.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

But those of you who are expecting him to become a good player again are asking to be disappointed.

A few people mentioned the stats he put up last season for GSW. Number one, those came before his quad injury and before he tore his ACL. Second, he shot badly from downtown. Third, his defense and mobility sucked.

I really don't get the bromance people have for DMC, considering he's had three career-threatening injuries in the last 2.5 years. Realistically, he'd be a serviceable backup center who can get somewhat exposed - and that's if he puts aside his big ego and willingly accepts a drastically reduced role.

It’s really not that hard to understand... His a low risk high reward signing. Low risk will cost you just the vet minimum. High reward cause of his talent. For a team that is dying for that third option with not much capspace. Not sure who else you can grab out there with Cousin’s talent for that price... if he can stay healthy, it’s a no brainer.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:42 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
slavavov wrote:

It’s really not that hard to understand... His a low risk high reward signing. Low risk will cost you just the vet minimum. High reward cause of his talent. For a team that is dying for that third option with not much capspace. Not sure who else you can grab out there with Cousin’s talent for that price... if he can stay healthy, it’s a no brainer.

Plus probably makes AD happy.
Gepetto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

One point I'm not seeing made though is that Cousins is really a good passer. We have willing cutters on this team, and hopefully improved shooting in the off-season-a better than average passer who can see over the defense and shoot at at least an average level really helps our offensive options, especially in the half-court (not a strength currently). Think Gasol or Jokic (def not on Jokic's level, but you get the idea). 15 mpg next to AD in that role could be great, especially since DMC could stay out of the lane more than Howard or McGee.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject:

It depends on what else happens in free agency. Cousins might not cost much but it's still a roster spot. I'll be surprised if he can contribute meaningfully after the kind of injuries he had.

Look at the defense we played to win this title. Can Cousins elevate his game to play that kind of defense at the level we're going to need from him? After an Achilles and an ACL? I'd be shocked if he can do that, not counting on it.

But if we can afford room at the spot role level, like JR Smith level of utilization, and he's happy to accept that, bury the ego and support the team, and if that keeps AD happy and engaged, I've no problem with it.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject:

Gepetto wrote:
slavavov wrote:

One point I'm not seeing made though is that Cousins is really a good passer. We have willing cutters on this team, and hopefully improved shooting in the off-season-a better than average passer who can see over the defense and shoot at at least an average level really helps our offensive options, especially in the half-court (not a strength currently). Think Gasol or Jokic (def not on Jokic's level, but you get the idea). 15 mpg next to AD in that role could be great, especially since DMC could stay out of the lane more than Howard or McGee.

That would require us taking the ball out of the hands of Rondo/AD/LeBron and putting it in the hands of DMC and putting him in the position to utilize his passing.

Would we be willing to do that, or would we just stick him in a Dwight Howard and Javale McGee role (setting screens and rolling to the basket)? Or perhaps just put him into a Markieff Morris role (screens, spot up shooting)?

If it’s the former.. I don’t think opposing team mind taking the ball out of the hands of LeBron/AD/Rondo and giving it to another player that they may not perceive as to be as threatening as those guys. I mean it’s not like we are a team that lacks creative passer to begin with.

If it’s the latter... He would essentially be DeMarcus Cousins playing the role of Dwight Howard, Markieff Morris and Javale McGee. Do you think DMC would thrive by strictly spot up shooting, setting screens, rolling to the basket, and catching lobs?

Utilizing someone’s passing means you have to give them the ball. We didn’t give really Javale the ball unless he was practically open. Same for Dwight. Same for Markieff on the perimeter. Would we give the ball to DMC? That’s what it comes down to when it comes to any role that anyone plays
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

I'd consider him as a Jared Dudley. Deep bench guy. If he comes back and is able to work into the rotation, great, but I wouldn't go into the season penciling him into the rotation. Certainly nothing more than the vet's minimum.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 6 of 14
Jump to: