Should Lakers resign Demarcus Cousins now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject:

I wonder how many people saying that Cousins is finished were the same ones telling us that Rondo and Dwight were finished.

You don't let his talent walk to a team like New Orleans that needs a center and could cause us problems with upgrades.

Or worse if went to the Clippers.

You keep him and see what he has to offer.

It's sheer madness to let him walk unless he's asking for some crazy huge contract.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject:

If Rondo or Dwight had suffered the injuries Cousins has, they would be finished.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
If Rondo or Dwight had suffered the injuries Cousins has, they would be finished.

And at this point, we’re still not sure where DMC stands either with regards to that. That’s why it’s too soon to pencil anything in
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject:

If he wants a minimum deal (after we were the only team to offer him more than a minimum to not play an entire year), I welcome him. He's still a talented player who could help facilitate the offense off the bench. Excellent passer for a big man.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject:

Here’s some highlights him playing for the Warriors. This is coming off a major achilles injury. All his skills on display. He was the 4th/5th option on that team. All that talent for vet minimum. Hoping he can stay healthy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs4_dGE1S-Y
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If he wants a minimum deal (after we were the only team to offer him more than a minimum to not play an entire year), I welcome him. He's still a talented player who could help facilitate the offense off the bench. Excellent passer for a big man.

Pretty sure Cousins would start if he signed back here. He would be the McGee replacement. Dwight Howard has solidified himself as that sparkplug bigman off the bench during the regular season.

Now the playoffs might be a different story depending on how Cousins would handle the better teams in a series, but I'm confident in saying he would start here. Especially with his relationship with Anthony Davis.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Here’s some highlights him playing for the Warriors. This is coming off a major achilles injury. All his skills on display. He was the 4th/5th option on that team. All that talent for vet minimum. Hoping he can stay healthy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs4_dGE1S-Y

He has some really good post skills, his long arms helped him big time. He has very little athletic ability left, but he can actually post up and score. I am all for getting him back. Jokic didn’t have any hops either.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
slavavov wrote:
I'd be down to sign DMC for the vet's minimum.

But those of you who are expecting him to become a good player again are asking to be disappointed.

A few people mentioned the stats he put up last season for GSW. Number one, those came before his quad injury and before he tore his ACL. Second, he shot badly from downtown. Third, his defense and mobility sucked.

I really don't get the bromance people have for DMC, considering he's had three career-threatening injuries in the last 2.5 years. Realistically, he'd be a serviceable backup center who can get somewhat exposed - and that's if he puts aside his big ego and willingly accepts a drastically reduced role.

It’s really not that hard to understand... His a low risk high reward signing. Low risk will cost you just the vet minimum. High reward cause of his talent. For a team that is dying for that third option with not much capspace. Not sure who else you can grab out there with Cousin’s talent for that price... if he can stay healthy, it’s a no brainer.

Really? High reward?

Again, that's what I don't understand. Why do most Lakers fans think that after three severe lower body injuries DMC will play at an All-Star level for us?

Plus, he doesn't fit in with our style of play. We're a defensive team that plays fast-break basketball. DMC can't do either. Even in GS before his quad injury last season, his defense really sucked. He couldn't rotate over to close out on bigs shooting Js, especially off the screen-roll.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

Plus, he doesn't fit in with our style of play. We're a defensive team that plays fast-break basketball. DMC can't do either. Even in GS before his quad injury last season, his defense really sucked. He couldn't rotate over to close out on bigs shooting Js, especially off the screen-roll.

THIS. I'm not against signing him for a minimum role on this team, but if someone's going to say DMC will contribute significantly to the Lakers, back it up with some logic as to why you think he'll come back with any ability to defend and play transition ball, or, alternatively state some kind of logical argument why Vogel's going to drop the strategy that just won us a title, and make us a half court team.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
slavavov wrote:

But those of you who are expecting him to become a good player again are asking to be disappointed.

A few people mentioned the stats he put up last season for GSW. Number one, those came before his quad injury and before he tore his ACL. Second, he shot badly from downtown. Third, his defense and mobility sucked.

I really don't get the bromance people have for DMC, considering he's had three career-threatening injuries in the last 2.5 years. Realistically, he'd be a serviceable backup center who can get somewhat exposed - and that's if he puts aside his big ego and willingly accepts a drastically reduced role.

It’s really not that hard to understand... His a low risk high reward signing. Low risk will cost you just the vet minimum. High reward cause of his talent. For a team that is dying for that third option with not much capspace. Not sure who else you can grab out there with Cousin’s talent for that price... if he can stay healthy, it’s a no brainer.

Really? High reward?

Again, that's what I don't understand. Why do most Lakers fans think that after three severe lower body injuries DMC will play at an All-Star level for us?

Boogie can rebound and make those outlet pass for transition baskets. His role is like McGee on starting role and play like 10-15 minutes.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
I wonder how many people saying that Cousins is finished were the same ones telling us that Rondo and Dwight were finished.

You don't let his talent walk to a team like New Orleans that needs a center and could cause us problems with upgrades.

Or worse if went to the Clippers.

You keep him and see what he has to offer.

It's sheer madness to let him walk unless he's asking for some crazy huge contract.

Our role players outplayed their contracts except Green and Green was a big net positive in the playoff despite being cold. Our team is restraint as far as salary so we need to find bargain players that have the upside to outplay their contract. Boogie is one of them.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject:

Pelinka: "Anthony, your friend Boogie, do you think we shou…"

Davis: "Yes."

Pelinka: "... ok, done."
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Pelinka: "Anthony, your friend Boogie, do you think we shou…"

Davis: "Yes."

Pelinka: "... ok, done."

Damn, I wish Dwight or Markieff were BFF’s with AD. We would be assured that they will be back...

Last edited by j-dawg on Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject:

Welp, AD is already reported to re-sign with the Lakers, so can definitely say the odds have increased of Lakers wanting to sign back Cousins. Cousins even being a shell of himself is still so talented as a passer, can space the floor, really good screener, can pick n pop, post up, etc. In the playoffs not sure if you can Cousins starter minutes, but in the regular season is where he will be most valuable since Cousins would have the most prove since he wasn't apart of the title team, while the rest of the team might try to flip the switch off or not try as much in the regular season. Cousins would still be motivated to both play for a title team and get paid as well by playing as many games as possible.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject:

If he’s only getting minimum offers it benefits him to sign with the lakers. He would have early bird rights the following season
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject:

If the Lakers can bring back Howard, I would do it over Cousins, even though I have been a huge proponent of getting Cousins!

If you consider how the playoffs unfolded for the Lakers in regards to Center-play, and assuming McGee is going to be back, I don't see a need for 3 centers (plus AD)!

Plus there's that injury thing he's had for the last 2-3 years, I don't think the Risk vs Reward factor is there..

Now if Howard signs with another team, I might think differently, but maximum 1-year contract for Cous...
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Dwight has to be the first priority at C.
Then if McGee declines his option then take Cousins.
But those two guys have earned it.

Cousins if he will play for less should be signed as there can
be another miracle like Howard.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
AD23 wrote:
So a Dwight/Cousins or Javale/Cousins combo will be great.

Dwight/Cousins-OK.
Javale/Cousins-yuck.

Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Cousins' passing is what impresses me the most. It would bring a new dynamic to our offense, especially the hi-low passing with he and AD. I think he can still be a decent rebounder even after the injuries because he has a wide frame and he's a thicc boy.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Ultimate goal should be to have Howard and Cousins in a Laker uniform next year, if Cousins is healthy.
13thOverallPick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject:

M2K wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
AD23 wrote:
So a Dwight/Cousins or Javale/Cousins combo will be great.

Dwight/Cousins-OK.
Javale/Cousins-yuck.

If Anthony and Lebron trust Cousins health, I'm sure McGee would be out in a deal packagae or out for CP3 with others.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject:

M2K wrote:
Ultimate goal should be to have Howard and Cousins in a Laker uniform next year, if Cousins is healthy.

The would be perfect. Howard,Cousins,Davis, and CaCok as our bigs
Travis Bickle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject:

I want him back but he really needs to lose weight. It will help with his injury.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
slavavov wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Really? High reward?

Boogie can rebound and make those outlet pass for transition baskets. His role is like McGee on starting role and play like 10-15 minutes.

Maybe he can rebound and make good outlet passes, but he can't defend, run the floor well or be a scoring threat other than garbage baskets.

McGee not only rebounds and makes outlet passes, but he also defends and runs the floor well.

Plus, given that DMC has had 3 major injuries in the last couple years, isn't he an injury risk from now on?
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Why is there no updates about Cousins status? If he wants a contract next season I think he should update his status now like what Dwight did last season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 7 of 14
Jump to: