Should Lakers resign Demarcus Cousins now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:
Why is there no updates about Cousins status? If he wants a contract next season I think he should update his status now like what Dwight did last season.

Having buddies on this team, and with the way the Lakers helped him rehab, there’s no need to do any updates because he probably knows he already has a spot with us no matter what.

As opposed to Dwight, who was literally on his way out of the league with no friends in high places
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:42 am    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
leking006 wrote:
Why is there no updates about Cousins status? If he wants a contract next season I think he should update his status now like what Dwight did last season.

Having buddies on this team, and with the way the Lakers helped him rehab, there’s no need to do any updates because he probably knows he already has a spot with us no matter what.

As opposed to Dwight, who was literally on his way out of the league with no friends in high places

That's why I am thinking too, he might be lock in as a Lakers in the next season.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:51 am    Post subject:

You guys are going to be so wrong about Cousins.. he sucks now.

And for those that asked.. I knew Howard would perform well for us. I was in the minority on that viewpoint.

The man had a history of playing solid defense, and that's what he did for us, along with all the other little things.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:54 am    Post subject:

If he signs for the min is low risk. Why not?
13thOverallPick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:

And for those that asked.. I knew Howard would perform well for us. I was in the minority on that viewpoint.

The man had a history of playing solid defense, and that's what he did for us, along with all the other little things.

This ain't gonna age well. Saving this receipt. Lakers will make the best choice possible, with or without Cousins next year.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:57 am    Post subject:

13thOverallPick wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

This ain't gonna age well. Saving this receipt. Lakers will make the best choice possible, with or without Cousins next year.

Umm yeah lol.. I would expect them to make the best choice. That goes without saying.

And it will age well. Cousins doesn't play defense, period. That's what we do, especially our centers.. play defense.

It's that simple.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:03 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:

Name me a player out there you can bring for vet minimum or less with Cousins talent.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:10 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Name me a player out there you can bring for vet minimum or less with Cousins talent.

You guys keep throwing that word talent around.. It's meaningless.

Talk to me about his on court productivity, and effectiveness.

He can't play defense, this you cannot dispute. All the talent in the world doesn't negate that one simple fact.

We can find more suitable alternatives via trade if necessary.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:18 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

He can't play defense, this you cannot dispute. All the talent in the world doesn't negate that one simple fact.

No one knows just like no ones knows how KD will be coming off a major achilles injury. Guess what tho Cousins is not going to cost you much or cost you any assets to trade. You can bring him in for close to nothing. Bringing him in does not prevent you from acquiring another piece.

You keep saying he don't play defense but so does Waiters, JR Smith, Cook, Morris, and even Kuzma. Cousins had a better DRTG compare to all those guys even coming off a major achilles injury.

Last edited by miggz23 on Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:20 am    Post subject:

I am fully against CP3 and Cousins. For me they are over. We need fresh blood , the players who doesn't have ego and will make Vogel's life easier. Good teammates and guys who will give everything for the team without looking their own status.

I would highly consider Baynes as center position. Can shoot the 3, good rebounder and seems like a guy who can blend good. Would be upgrade comparing to McGee.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:24 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

No one knows just like no ones knows how KD will be coming off a major achilles injury. Guess what tho Cousins is not going to cost you much or cost you any assets to trade. You can bring him in for close to nothing. Bringing him in does not prevent you for acquiring anyone if Lakers want to go after another piece.

You keep saying he don't play defense but so does Waiters, JR Smith, Cook, Morris, and even Kuzma. Cousins had a better DRTG compare to all those guys even coming off a major achilles injury.

Being a liability defensively at the 5 is a bigger deal than being one at any other position.

Getting him for next to nothing is fine. Depending on him to be a starter, and expecting stellar play is another thing entirely.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:34 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

No one knows just like no ones knows how KD will be coming off a major achilles injury. Guess what tho Cousins is not going to cost you much or cost you any assets to trade. You can bring him in for close to nothing. Bringing him in does not prevent you for acquiring anyone if Lakers want to go after another piece.

Being a liability defensively at the 5 is a bigger deal than being one at any other position.

Getting him for next to nothing is fine. Depending on him to be a starter, and expecting stellar play is another thing entirely.

No one knows how he will be or what type of defense will get from him. Yes he has weakness on D, but not sure a 102 drtg is considered a liability. Plus we have more than enough guys on this team that can cover him. No one is depending on him, Lakers don't have much capspace and aching for a 3rd/4th guy. I'm willing to take a look at him see what he can do. His talent is not meaningless, only thing that's keeping him in the league.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:38 am    Post subject:

Sign him for cheap insurance, can always cut. Have Bron talk to Melo for vet min too
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:10 am    Post subject:

Not excited about Cousins being signed at all. Yet see the likelihood of it happening. So I’m preparing myself to have the watch him next season. Can’t explain how irritating watching him complain on every call and accumulating techs is going to be for me. Just don’t like him, never have. So I’m biased.

Personal feelings aside. Trying to understand the role some of you see for him. Is he a starter? An end of the bench guy? Impact player?

Most speculations I see have McGee and/ or Howard gone. So relying on Cousins to be impactful 18+mpg for an entire season. Relying on him to remain healthy ? Remaining focused and mobile enough on defense?

The main positive that McGee and Howard combined gave the Lakers was close to 40mpg of solid center contributions. Athletic defensive and rebounding presence. Players that ran the floor, benefitted from lobs and played solid rotational team defense with high energy.

None of that sounds like Cousins. Especially after rehabbing for two straight years from serious leg injuries. He may add some playmaking, 3pt shooting and make Davis happy. But overall I’m not seeing the overall some of you are. Especially since he is not playing the Dudley role, he is expected to play and contribute.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject:

I find DRTG to be a flawed stat when measuring defense. I looked at the list of all time leaders for high DRTG ratings and found quite a few players that I would never consider as anywhere close to defensive stalwarts:

Chris Webber?
Rasho Nesterovic?
Carlos Boozer?

All of those guys are higher career rating than Anthony Davis

Paul Pierce higher than Michael Jordan as well
Pau Gasol is slightly higher than Marc Gasol

I think it captures an idea of good defensive players, but you also see guys who aren’t good defenders who slip in up there as well. I think the outliers show that the stat has flaws.

I watched Webber, Nesterovic, and Boozer play. Would I happily parade them out for my team if there is a crunch time defensive situation that I’m facing? Based on the stats, it’s not such a bad idea, even though I could do better. But in real life, I wouldn’t.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
CRoost wrote:
slavavov wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
slavavov wrote:
I'd be down to sign DMC for the vet's minimum.

But those of you who are expecting him to become a good player again are asking to be disappointed.

A few people mentioned the stats he put up last season for GSW. Number one, those came before his quad injury and before he tore his ACL. Second, he shot badly from downtown. Third, his defense and mobility sucked.

I really don't get the bromance people have for DMC, considering he's had three career-threatening injuries in the last 2.5 years. Realistically, he'd be a serviceable backup center who can get somewhat exposed - and that's if he puts aside his big ego and willingly accepts a drastically reduced role.

It’s really not that hard to understand... His a low risk high reward signing. Low risk will cost you just the vet minimum. High reward cause of his talent. For a team that is dying for that third option with not much capspace. Not sure who else you can grab out there with Cousin’s talent for that price... if he can stay healthy, it’s a no brainer.

Really? High reward?

Again, that's what I don't understand. Why do most Lakers fans think that after three severe lower body injuries DMC will play at an All-Star level for us?

Plus, he doesn't fit in with our style of play. We're a defensive team that plays fast-break basketball. DMC can't do either. Even in GS before his quad injury last season, his defense really sucked. He couldn't rotate over to close out on bigs shooting Js, especially off the screen-roll.

Boogie can rebound and make those outlet pass for transition baskets. His role is like McGee on starting role and play like 10-15 minutes.

Maybe he can rebound and make good outlet passes, but he can't defend, run the floor well or be a scoring threat other than garbage baskets.

McGee not only rebounds and makes outlet passes, but he also defends and runs the floor well.

Plus, given that DMC has had 3 major injuries in the last couple years, isn't he an injury risk from now on?

Lol not about not a scoring threat other than garbage. Boogie is one of those rare NBA bigs that is a triple threat who can shoot the 3ball. He has an elite offensive skills and he relies on his strength and skills to get the bucket. He can initiate the offense. His injury can make him worst defensively which is mediocre at best even when he was healthy but presence of AD can erase some of it.

On a vet minimum, he’s upside is worth a roster spot. If he get injured then waived him and go out on a buyout market.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
slavavov wrote:
CRoost wrote:
slavavov wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
slavavov wrote:

But those of you who are expecting him to become a good player again are asking to be disappointed.

A few people mentioned the stats he put up last season for GSW. Number one, those came before his quad injury and before he tore his ACL. Second, he shot badly from downtown. Third, his defense and mobility sucked.

I really don't get the bromance people have for DMC, considering he's had three career-threatening injuries in the last 2.5 years. Realistically, he'd be a serviceable backup center who can get somewhat exposed - and that's if he puts aside his big ego and willingly accepts a drastically reduced role.

It’s really not that hard to understand... His a low risk high reward signing. Low risk will cost you just the vet minimum. High reward cause of his talent. For a team that is dying for that third option with not much capspace. Not sure who else you can grab out there with Cousin’s talent for that price... if he can stay healthy, it’s a no brainer.

Really? High reward?

Again, that's what I don't understand. Why do most Lakers fans think that after three severe lower body injuries DMC will play at an All-Star level for us?

Plus, he doesn't fit in with our style of play. We're a defensive team that plays fast-break basketball. DMC can't do either. Even in GS before his quad injury last season, his defense really sucked. He couldn't rotate over to close out on bigs shooting Js, especially off the screen-roll.

Boogie can rebound and make those outlet pass for transition baskets. His role is like McGee on starting role and play like 10-15 minutes.

Maybe he can rebound and make good outlet passes, but he can't defend, run the floor well or be a scoring threat other than garbage baskets.

McGee not only rebounds and makes outlet passes, but he also defends and runs the floor well.

Plus, given that DMC has had 3 major injuries in the last couple years, isn't he an injury risk from now on?

Lol not about not a scoring threat other than garbage. Boogie is one of those rare NBA bigs that is a triple threat who can shoot the 3ball. He has an elite offensive skills and he relies on his strength and skills to get the bucket. He can initiate the offense. His injury can make him worst defensively which is mediocre at best even when he was healthy but presence of AD can erase some of it.

On a vet minimum, he’s upside is worth a roster spot. If he get injured then waived him and go out on a buyout market.

Please explain who the center is for the Lakers.

Most suggest McGee should be traded. Howard may or may not return due to his outplaying his contract. Then Cousins accepts the vet min.

Are there any other centers? And yes I understand that Davis will play C mins. A position he openly dislikes playing and gets beat up playing.

Unless I missed something, Cousins is being relied upon to have significant impact. Not a throwaway end of the bench player that can be waived so easily.

I am fascinated with fan logic on this roster construction. Laker FO is going to need to be creative and get some quality players to sign for peanuts. Going to be interesting to see how they do it.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
CRoost wrote:
slavavov wrote:
CRoost wrote:
slavavov wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Really? High reward?

Most suggest McGee should be traded. Howard may or may not return due to his outplaying his contract. Then Cousins accepts the vet min.

Are there any other centers? And yes I understand that Davis will play C mins. A position he openly dislikes playing and gets beat up playing.

Unless I missed something, Cousins is being relied upon to have significant impact. Not a throwaway end of the bench player that can be waived so easily.

I am fascinated with fan logic on this roster construction. Laker FO is going to need to be creative and get some quality players to sign for peanuts.
Going to be interesting to see how they do it.

Howard/McGee/Cousins
Howard/Cousins
McGee/Cousins
Who knows?

Trust me if Lakers do decide to bring him and give him rotational minutes. It means he's healthy and can still play.

You think they bring him in, if he can no longer play, or just to keep AD happy?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
slavavov wrote:
CRoost wrote:
slavavov wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Really? High reward?

I am fascinated with fan logic on this roster construction. Laker FO is going to need to be creative and get some quality players to sign for peanuts. Going to be interesting to see how they do it.

I wouldn't get worked up by what fans say or think. They don't make roster decisions.

My guess is the Lakers see Cousins as a 15th man -- great if he works out, but I doubt they are building their plans around him.

There will probably be two other centers on the roster as well. Might be Dwight and Javale. Could be a retread like Okafor.

We hit a homerun with Dwight this year (we could have just as easily gone with Noah.) Next season we might not be so lucky.

We didn't have a perfect roster this season, and we won't have a perfect roster next season. If Dwight bolts and a traditional center becomes a weakness, so be it. Just have to roll with it. You pick up some vet minimum guy and hope he works out.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
slavavov wrote:
CRoost wrote:
slavavov wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Really? High reward?

Boogie 10-20 as a starter
Dwight 10-20 off the bench
McGee - cheap insurance policy.

And AD take the rest on close games.

I don’t think we should expect significant impact from Boogie. We probably want to play him and see what he can bring . If he does not look good, we can waiver him and McGee get his starting gig again. And go in a buyout market to look for another Kief.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject:

For a Vet min, there is no downside. Worst case, he is at the end of the bench cheering on AD and Co. For the 1.6 million cap hit, he is easily worth the risk.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
I find DRTG to be a flawed stat when measuring defense. I looked at the list of all time leaders for high DRTG ratings and found quite a few players that I would never consider as anywhere close to defensive stalwarts:

Chris Webber?
Rasho Nesterovic?
Carlos Boozer?

All of those guys are higher career rating than Anthony Davis

Paul Pierce higher than Michael Jordan as well
Pau Gasol is slightly higher than Marc Gasol

I think it captures an idea of good defensive players, but you also see guys who aren’t good defenders who slip in up there as well. I think the outliers show that the stat has flaws.

I watched Webber, Nesterovic, and Boozer play. Would I happily parade them out for my team if there is a crunch time defensive situation that I’m facing? Based on the stats, it’s not such a bad idea, even though I could do better. But in real life, I wouldn’t.

Wow thats surprising. Webber and Nesterovic I thought were decent defenders. Webber always had the ideal power forward body in terms of speed, agility and strength. Boozer is the one that really surprises considering you would always hear criticism of defense on him especially in Chicago. But he never seemed to have the length either to be a great defender. I dont need to say this but he was pretty much Pau's b****
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject:

If he is the 3rd center earning his mins, then it makes sense from one sense.

Not seeing the support for current centers in most posts though. See too many trading McGee “because he sucks” and most only keeping Howard if he accepts a minimal salary.

As I stated, Lakers have some tough decisions to make concerning next seasons roster. I only posted because I find so many fan suggested ideas to be contradictory, unrealistic or downright insane.

I’m still reveling in the accomplishments of this year.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject:

he is coming back for vet min
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject:

Perhaps any of you Cousins haters, can address the problems of bringing him in - to fill the Dudley or JR bench positions, with a non-guaranteed minimum contract?

Everything being said is OPINIONS, anyway...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 8 of 14
Jump to: