Should Lakers resign Demarcus Cousins now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Get rid of McGee for Cousins is basically what will happen offseason.

We’ll have Dwight and Cousins as our Centers.
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
easybreeze wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
easybreeze wrote:
drae wrote:
easybreeze wrote:
Next season will be even more unfriendly for bigs. I don't expect to see either D Howard or McGee next season.

One of our greatest strengths was our ability to morph into different teams. Need to go big? Dwight is up. Need to go small? Kief is up. We need the ability to go big to deal with Jokic.

Dwight is not stopping Jokic next season. No one is.

That's not the point..

Dwight was about the only player in the league that doesn't get absolutely abused by him. It's not about stopping him, it's about slowing him down and making him work.

You don't need an aged 7 foot center for that purpose is my point.

A have a question for you.. answer honestly..

Do we get past Denver this year without Dwight?

Answering, I don't know, mean we lose against Denver.
Lakeshow323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Lakeshow323 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
These comments are odd..

Do you guys remember how bad he was playing?

He can't guard anyone.. He already was a poor defender to begin with. With the injuries it's even worse..

Didnt we say the same about Rondo and Dwight when the season started? Again, if we can get him cheap and motivated, I can see him doing damage. The guy was a top 10 player at one point and can shoot.

Actually no.. we weren't..

Dwight did what I expected him to do.. Play good defense and board..

Cousins can't defend, and he'd be even worse in pick and roll defense where he's switched onto a guard.

Our defensive rating will dip significantly with him.

No thanks to Cousins.. You guys need to go back and look at some of his last performances lol... Especially how he was playing with the Warriors. Terrible..

If I remember correctly, he was coming off a quad injury that post season. Its harsh to judge a player coming from a such an injury and being thrown directly into the fire in a finals! He was obviously out of shape.

He average 16.3 pts on 48% in 26 minutes! He'd be by far the 3rd option here.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject:

We lose against Denver without Dwight.. period.

Having him and McGee also preserves AD so we can use him when needed as a center.
13thOverallPick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Lakeshow323 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Lakeshow323 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
These comments are odd..

He can't guard anyone.. He already was a poor defender to begin with. With the injuries it's even worse..

Didnt we say the same about Rondo and Dwight when the season started? Again, if we can get him cheap and motivated, I can see him doing damage. The guy was a top 10 player at one point and can shoot.

Cousins can't defend, and he'd be even worse in pick and roll defense where he's switched onto a guard.

No thanks to Cousins.. You guys need to go back and look at some of his last performances lol... Especially how he was playing with the Warriors. Terrible..

If I remember correctly, he was coming off a quad injury that post season. Its harsh to judge a player coming from a such an injury and being thrown directly into the fire in a finals! He was obviously out of shape.

Thank you, I'm sure the front office will make the right move in the end.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Lakeshow323 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Lakeshow323 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
These comments are odd..

I'm not talking offense.. This squad plays defense, he doesn't. It's why we won this year.

You guys are going to be so wrong if they bring him back.
Lakeshow323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Lakeshow323 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Lakeshow323 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
These comments are odd..

I'm not talking offense.. This squad plays defense, he doesn't. It's why we won this year.

I get what youre saying, but that why I say motivated and accepting of a role ala Dwight. Image if this dude could come off the bench, 6th man role, and give us a consistent 15 ppg and a lick of defense? We'll win next year barring injury.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Lakeshow323 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Lakeshow323 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
These comments are odd..

Worst case cut him... He has too much talent not to take a look at. Soecially for a vet minimum. Give me a name you want to bring for a vet minimum with more talent than Cousins.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject:

What I'm saying guys is that whatever he gives you on offense is nullified by his bad defense. Which will only be worse with his injury history..

And for the vet minimum I don't have any names boss.. I just know Cousins isn't the answer.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Dwight and DMC as center tandem probably works very well for us next season
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject:

We are underestimating what Cousins will be able to give defensively. He dropped weight this year and will likely be in incredible shape next year.

My biggest concern with Cousins is offensively - will he be a ball stopper?
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject:

yes!

DMC is a bet! Albeit a "high risk/reward" bet..
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
What I'm saying guys is that whatever he gives you on offense is nullified by his bad defense. Which will only be worse with his injury history..

And for the vet minimum I don't have any names boss.. I just know Cousins isn't the answer.

He can help us preserved Lebron if things work out . He can make plays and run our offense through him. He’s skilled big, that’s something we are lacking beside AD. He does not to be the answer but he can be part of the solution.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject:

As a 3rd string center or 11-12th man role? If it keeps Davis happy, then sure, why not?

As anything else other than that? It would be an indication that the Lakers are struggling/panicking if a guy who is coming off of his injuries is in the regular rotation next year as a primary backup.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
We are underestimating what Cousins will be able to give defensively. He dropped weight this year and will likely be in incredible shape next year.

My biggest concern with Cousins is offensively - will he be a ball stopper?

He was not a ballstopper with short stint with GS... He is also a good passer and ball handler for his size. His a big body so he will still be able to bother people defensively. He also was decent defensively with GS.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
As a 3rd string center or 11-12th man role? If it keeps Davis happy, then sure, why not?

As anything else other than that? It would be an indication that the Lakers are struggling/panicking if a guy who is coming off of his injuries is in the regular rotation next year as a primary backup.

Why does his past injury matters if he produce?...
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
j-dawg wrote:

Do we know what he's going to be like? Especially to pencil him in as anything certain? Is there an opportunity cost involved with signing someone else who may be more productive on the floor?

I am not a fan of what he brings to the team, but I would say for those that are, it may be best to have the same expectations that we had of Dwight when he resigned this past year. Maybe even less..
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Dwight and DMC as center tandem probably works very well for us next season

2 different archetype big who will dish pain inside the paint. Dwight defensively and Boogie offensively. Boogie can space the floor and dominate the boards too. Dwight can clog the lane and control the glass. I think AD can minimize his defensive shortcomings.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
j-dawg wrote:

Do we know what he's going to be like? Especially to pencil him in as anything certain? Is there an opportunity cost involved with signing someone else who may be more productive on the floor?

I am not a fan of what he brings to the team, but I would say for those that are, it may be best to have the same expectations that we had of Dwight when he resigned this past year. Maybe even less..

The guy will cost you vet minimum the most. Not sure what player with Cousins talent you can bring for that price. I mean he is already an upgrade over Smith, Dudley, Waiters combined. If he gets injured we move on like last year at low risk.

He brings another dimension on this team. He’s just too skilled and too talented to pass on for that price.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:24 am    Post subject:

I have a feeling McGee will still be on board next year (player option), but he'll fall out of the rotation in favour of DMC and Dwight

Hopefully DMC can make a very nice comeback next year, his offense (scoring, passing etc) will provide yet another new dynamic even if he can average 15ppg
#18 next...
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject:

It all comes down to what LeBron decides. If LeBron wants DMC, he will be signed. Otherwise he will not. LeGM calls the shots on this team.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:
I have a feeling McGee will still be on board next year (player option), but he'll fall out of the rotation in favour of DMC and Dwight

Hopefully DMC can make a very nice comeback next year, his offense (scoring, passing etc) will provide yet another new dynamic even if he can average 15ppg

McGee would be a fine player to have as center depth and even trade fodder for a midseason deal. They'll need exta bigs with the injury prone ones they have.
If DMC could still keep up, you love having a big that can extend the court and pass as you say.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:39 am    Post subject:

AD will likely stay at the 4 during the RS, with some 4-5 minute shifts at the 5 each half, instead of playing mostly at 5. Very similar to how Phil used Pau.

So with that in mind, we do need a big body at the 5. One of the strengths of Morris is that he can stretch the floor for opening driving (and post up lanes) for AD and Bron. This is why we use Morris at the 5 even instead of Dwight/McGee.

For me signing someone like Cousins for a vet min, is a no brainer type of move. If he gives you 12 min a game as a starter, that's 12 minutes of a better offense than we have with McGee. We want to keep our vets fresh for the playoffs and AD at the 4 more in the RS to not be too banged up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject:

Killer_Z wrote:
It all comes down to what LeBron decides. If LeBron wants DMC, he will be signed. Otherwise he will not. LeGM calls the shots on this team.

Pretty much this.

On a different though, We are a defensive team, and he will be the weakest defender on the floor whenever he is in the game (unless he is in the game with Quinn Cook). When your team identity is your defense, and you introduce a new dynamic that doesn’t fit that identity... let’s just say that I would explore more options before I’d consider that to be the best option for the team.

A lot of people like to point out McGee’s weaknesses, but at least McGee provides rim protection and he doesn’t need the ball to be a contributor to the team. Anybody expecting defense (whether it be perimeter, rotations or rim protection) is going to be disappointed and just got caught up in his stats from years ago. His best weapon defensively would be flopping. I guess if you want to see him in a flop contest with Jokic, you may like it. And no, He will not be able to do what Dwight did to Jokic (in case anybody was curious about it, DMC is not that type of defender)

At best, I guess Cousins can theoretically have a Mariesse Speights type role. But this is different than Speights. You’re asking a guy who was a former 20ppg scorer on high volume and high usage to play a Mariesse Speights because he simply won’t get the ball enough to put up numbers like he had. It’s basically the same exact concerns as we had for Carmelo Anthony on this team. And this is if he is healthy. That’s still a very big IF. If you were in favor of Carmelo, I could see why you like DMC on this time playing a backup role. If you were not in favor of Melo on our team, then those reasons also apply to DMC.

Is that better than what McGee can provide? But the first question is if McGee will opt in, or out? Depending on that, we may be having a different conversation.
Pau Gasol's Beard
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject:

He will get reinjured again. Can't count on him
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 4 of 14
Jump to: