If the season comes back, are we still one of the favorites to win?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: If the season comes back, are we still one of the favorites to win?

Who would have benefited the most from this “break?”

Clippers got a lot of rest. Obviously everyone did including us, but KL actually needed it unlike LeBron who is slightly more durable.

Would KD / Klay also be allowed to come back? Would be crazy if there was a play in tournament and warriors had Steph and Klay back
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Clippers did all that load management without even realizing they were going to take a break like this. I don’t think that did much for them besides helping them lose a few more games.

Last edited by Steve007 on Wed May 20, 2020 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yama
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Warriors are way to far back from the playoffs, so even if they continue the reg season, they wont make it so we don't have to worry bout the Splash Bros. I think Brooklyns Gm already said KD wont come back. I think our biggest advantage is that the clippers really need more games to build chemistry, and our biggest loss is that we had so much momentum going for us. If we can regain that momentum remains to be see but the team looks like they've all been staying ready.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:02 am    Post subject:

I like their odds .

Last edited by JUST-MING on Thu May 28, 2020 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:18 am    Post subject:

Low key the Clippers chemistry might take a hit. Our chemistry was really cool and they’ve pretty much figured each other out. The talking heads don’t talk about this enough. If we do get a playoffs back, those teams with good chemistry has a nice advantage over others.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject:

We'll still be a favourite, but it's legit going to be anyone's game between the Lakers/Bucks/Clippers. 33% chance each

PG: LeBron - Rondo/Waiters
SG: Avery - KCP/Caruso
SF: Green - Kuzma
PF: AD - Kieff
C: JaVale - Dwight

I still like our chances with this roster
#18 next...
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject:

Yes. It doesn't mean we're going to win it, though
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject:

It depends on who plays and who doesn’t. McGee would be crazy to come back without a viable vaccine. And it depends on mindset, a lot has gone on and who knows what is in player’s heads. Most importantly, how they proceed with restarting the season could have big impact. Without significant preparation time I think that injuries could determine the winner.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject:

I think the Lakers have a very good chance if we resume. I actually think Lebron benefits from this break, I'm not convinced his groin was fully healed, he's older than most, very physical and heavily relied on to carry the team. Any lingering problems he was having are now likely much more healed up. Physically, the Lakers match up well with any team. A well-rested LeBron/Davis tandem in a gymnasium game is going to be a tough physical match up.

It will likely come down to team chemistry though. Particularly not playing in front of any crowds and the energy they can add, teams are out there on an island in a sense.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject:

Lots of unknowns:

1. Who gets hurt? Who gets Covid? I feel like at least 1 player will inevitably contract the virus.
2. Who is impacted the most? Many of these players have been working out on their own or doing non-traditional workout at home through team zoom workouts.
3. Who will benefit most with no “road” games.

I’ll go with Bucks benefiting the most. Giannis needed the time off and their team is a rhythm type team that I think they will execute well with no fans. Caveat though is all bets are off if there is pumped in crowd noise to replicate home court advantage.

If NBA allows the “home” team to pump crowd noise, that will help the Lakers imo.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject:

What did Vegas say? Oh, that's right. Never mind.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject:

I think we benefit a lot because we had one of the most re-constructed rosters of the top 6 teams in the NBA.

Most new players in our starting lineup and most shakeup in our coaching staff.

We started the season off very well with defense and tried to create offensive chemistry on the fly. Our defensive identity took a hit, IMHO.

If I were our coaching staff, I'd be trying to hit our offensive sets real hard from the outset but ramp up the defensive intensity as the offense starts to click. By the time we come back, we should be practicing more defense than offense, 70%-30%.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:44 pm    Post subject:

We're actually less likely to win a chip if/when the postseason commences.
We're a top heavy team. Bron or AD tests positive and we're in a series against say ... Denver or Houston. And their star players don't test positive.
We're done.

Some teams just won't test their players. Or they'll fake results.

Even in a perfect world, where every team tests every player and reports accurate results.

The chip would be decided by organizational Covid precautions as opposed to basketball ability.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:20 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
We're actually less likely to win a chip if/when the postseason commences.
We're a top heavy team. Bron or AD tests positive and we're in a series against say ... Denver or Houston. And their star players don't test positive.
We're done.

Even in a perfect world, where every team tests every player and reports accurate results.

The chip would be decided by organizational Covid precautions as opposed to basketball ability.

Doesn't that go for ALL teams, not just ours?

If Giannis goes out, Bucks are toast.
If Kawhi goes down, Clips are done.

You can't use that to say we are less likely to win...
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:29 am    Post subject:

We were unquestionably the best team when the season was stopped. I think our dedicated players who enjoy playing with each other (and committed to one another) puts us as the favorites.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:19 am    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:
Doesn't that go for ALL teams, not just ours?

If Giannis goes out, Bucks are toast.
If Kawhi goes down, Clips are done.

You can't use that to say we are less likely to win...

Before COVID, those were the only 2 teams in the whole league that were gonna be trouble for us in the postseason.
Now, with this added Covid variable that could knock our players out for 2 weeks. The list of teams that could give us postseason problems has grown.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Hard to imagine that teams will be conducting the tests. The NBA would likely hire a company for that and manage everything in a centralize way. This won't be loosey-goosey, honor system.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Hard to imagine that teams will be conducting the tests. The NBA would likely hire a company for that and manage everything in a centralize way. This won't be loosey-goosey, honor system.

Who gets the random test? Teams that don't have their star players randomly tested could have a huge advantage.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject:

Lets just hope that every roster is whole and nobody gets sick. If this is the case, the champ is real.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject:

I'd probably give a slight edge to the Bucks just because they have more continuity than us and I think that edge slightly outweighs the edge we have re: LBJ and the extended rest.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject:

Lebron was starting to wear down in March, you could see it. And given how I'm sure he's taken care of his body these past couple of months, this likely may be the best thing that could've happened for us. It starts and ends with Lebron, and if this break helped him, we're better for it.

AD's shoulder, too...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Who gets the random test? Teams that don't have their star players randomly tested could have a huge advantage.

The tests won't be random. Every player will be tested everyday. If a player has the virus -- whether a star or a scrub -- he'll be isolated and won't be allowed to play.

Do you understand we are talking about a highly contagious, potentially fatal virus? Do you think the NBA wants a sick player spreading the virus to other players in the bubble? Do you think the players union and other players will want that?

The goal of teams, players and the league will be to keep players as safe as possible.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:

The tests won't be random. Every player will be tested everyday. If a player has the virus -- whether a star or a scrub -- he'll be isolated and won't be allowed to play.

Do you understand we are talking about a highly contagious, potentially fatal virus? Do you think the NBA wants a sick player spreading the virus to other players in the bubble? Do you think the players union and other players will want that?

The goal of teams, players and the league will be to keep players as safe as possible.

If a player tests positive then it can be assumed that his teammates are exposed, as well as opponents. The current practice is to quarantine them for 14 days, will the league enforce that? Players are demanding that family be able to join them, that opens up more issues. Even with careful planning, which I give the NBA credit for, getting through a playoffs with no incidents seems unlikely.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:

If a player tests positive then it can be assumed that his teammates are exposed, as well as opponents. The current practice is to quarantine them for 14 days, will the league enforce that? Players are demanding that family be able to join them, that opens up more issues. Even with careful planning, which I give the NBA credit for, getting through a playoffs with no incidents seems unlikely.

Everything at this point is speculation. There was a report that the commissioner told players that with rapid testing if a player got sick, teammates would only need to be quarantined a day or two. The logic of that is a little puzzling to me.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject:

I hadn’t heard that but it is puzzling. I like to keep believing that the league is putting safety over profits but it seems that they are determined to have games and are fitting the narrative around that decision.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: