Something to remember when bashing Sasha
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject:

He's providing a good living for him mom and dad back home so he's not totally useless?

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Sidious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
This isn't Sasha's rookie year.

He's a 11:00 shooter, which means he's money in practice, but once the lights go on and the crowd gathers, the deadeye goes bye bye.

That's immaturity isn't it? If what you say is true that is why Jax is investing so much time in him.

Let the puppy run with the Pack.He will stumble and, be awkward in the beggining until someday he will be the main killer

When you watch the emotion and the effort made by Sasha you just know that he won't quit or give up. He is mentally sound. He'll arrive soon. He and, Bynum have that look of sheer determination and, I love it. Especially since they both have skills. Jax knows that as soon as that kid gets as comfortable in the games as he does in practice the Lakers will now be in position to seriously hurt somebody.

In the next 2yrs those of us who waited for Sasha are going to be made proud. I really do hope the Lakers keep Sasha.

Hate to break it to you but Jackson isn't playing him because he thinks he's good, he's playing him because he doesn't have much of a choice.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject:

Something to remember when bashing Sasha? How about always swing with the fat end of the bat toward his head.

SGH
osj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
Sidious wrote:
It's not that his game is incomplete, it's that he has no game in the first place. What does he do well? There's nothing that he contributes on the basketball court. He can't dribble like a point, he can't penetrate, he has no quickness, he has no athleticism, he has no size, and he can't score.

You my friend are either not paying any attention or, there is obviously something wrong with your viewing equipment....

SHOES...it's pretty obvious that some people think that any player who isn't all-star calibre is 'trash'.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject:

tru dat osj... Our bretheren forget that he is just a kid with potential and is just like the rest of the squad, trying to dance the steps of the triangle but, yet look pretty while doing it...
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject:

I am suprised that this thread is even in exsistence this year. It is obvious that Sasha is playing better and his learning curve is only going to increase. We need role players who can create turnovers (he does that drawing charges and inbounds plays), rarely turn the ball over (much better than Smush or Chucky when we had him), not afraid to take open shots (check again), and give a damn about weather we win or lose; only Kobe and Bynum fit that dimension.

Last year it looked like we should cut him, but his progress, like Cook's, shows that he will have a place with the lakers, at least through the 2007 plan. If some of you can rememeber back to the glory days of the 80's, we needed role players like Landsberger, Rambis, Mychal Thompson, A.C. Green to help us win championships. By 2007, Sasha even may take Smush out of his role and be the tall, combo guard that Kobe and Phil need to win again.
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject:

Can't some of you'll just acknowledge that Sasha was a mistake....just like most of the players on our team.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject:

I appreciate Sasha for his hustle because I get furious when I see Smush go into his pout and try to disappear out there. What worries me about Vujacic is when he gets all teary eyed. I think it is a sign of mental weakness and I don't know if you can go from literally crying over bad calls to being tough enough for the NBA game. Too many times I have seen him get way too emotional and if I were an opposing player I would make sure that I was fouling him hard, insulting his mother, and stealing the ball to try to make him cry.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject:

Sidious wrote:
Remember this when drafting players. Never draft 19 year old white guys.

racist.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject:

twoface723 wrote:
Can't some of you'll just acknowledge that Sasha was a mistake....just like most of the players on our team.

A 2nd round pick....I can see it. But spending a first round pick on a guard who didn't even start on his team in Italy, and who clearly was not ready to play in the NBA was ridiculous.

And we seemed to be enamored with drafting these boy scouts. If you're gonna build a team around a wing man, you need tough guys. Turiaf is the first 'tough guy' the Lakers have drafted in YEARS.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

He's a 11:00 shooter, which means he's money in practice, but once the lights go on and the crowd gathers, the deadeye goes bye bye.

I know it's not his rookie year. If you look above i wrote that it's*basically* his rookie year. Last season he got very few minutes, playing for a team that just had a major roster haul, learning a new offense, with a new coach that quit midseason, with injuries to the two best players, and playing under the LA spotlight. Not to mention that he was a 19-year-old living in a new country and learning a new culture and language.

Yeah for a guy who shoots so well in practice, it must be awfully difficult to stand in one spot, receive the pass from Kobe or Odom and shoot a wide open 3 in a game. Standing in one spot and getting a wide open look, doesn't change anything in an offense unless you're pulling up, and Sasha's a spot up. If he can't handle the spotlight, then he DOESN'T belong in LA.

baller wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

I know it's not his rookie year. If you look above i wrote that it's*basically* his rookie year. Last season he got very few minutes, playing for a team that just had a major roster haul, learning a new offense, with a new coach that quit midseason, with injuries to the two best players, and playing under the LA spotlight. Not to mention that he was a 19-year-old living in a new country and learning a new culture and language.

Its not even worth trying to explain it some of these people on this board. They have no patience and want every player to be the greatest ever instantly. Contrary to popular belief players just don't come into the league and just dominate epsecially that young. Hes a 20 something pick, not number 1, he's not lebron. How is he supposed to get comfortable in the game shooting when he gets what 18 minutes a game. He basically only takes three's and long two's, and is shooting 35% from three which is like going 50% from the field when factored in for the extra points. I'm so glad the majority of the people in here are not the gm, they want to trade everyone constantly everytime they have a bad game. What do you want to be the knicks? Do you want to constantly add pieces just to add pieces so you develop no continuity and no one is able to play with each other. I'm glad we have people in the front office that realize that to be great is not an over night process you can't just make a lateral trade and be great it doesn't work like that. You have to plan, develop a core, and add the missing piece or piece and go for a title run, its been the same every year for every championship team.

Who said we wanted Sasha to be his greatest now? All people have said on this board is for him to make shots. If he made shots, believe me, Sasha would be doing his role and would not be bashed. Except maybe for his 35ft fouls. Saying he doesn't get enough minutes is just a weak excuse. Cook plays the EXACT same amount of minutes yet he shoots over 50% from the field? Cook isn't exactly a veteran either. You want a better comparison? Try Beno Udrih. Last season played 14 minutes and shot 44% from the field and 41% from the arc and this season plays only 7 minutes yet hes 43% from the field. And what does Udrih do? Take perimeter jumpshots. Factoring in the extra point is just ridiculous to alter his percentage and make it seem like he's better than he is. It's not like he's made many 3s, just 40 and if my math is correct, that's 20 2 point baskets and his % is only 43%, which is pretty sad.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject:

We were told when Sasha was drafted, it would be one to two years until he contributes. Peja Stojakovic was 21 when he was a rookie in the NBA, the same age Sasha is this season. Peja did shoot very poorly his first season. In Europe, players seem to have a lot of time to get their shots off relative to the NBA. It took him time to find shots he could get off quickly enough to be effective. Chick Hearn used to say, free throw percentage is a good indicator of how well a player shoots. Sasha is an excellent free throw shooter with a fg% over 90. Sasha hasn't yet been able to convert what he does in practice to game situations on a consistent basis. He should be an excellent field goal shooter eventually. The key is patience.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject:

angel wrote:
We were told when Sasha was drafted, it would be one to two years until he contributes. Peja Stojakovic was 21 when he was a rookie in the NBA, the same age Sasha is this season. Peja did shoot very poorly his first season. In Europe, players seem to have a lot of time to get their shots off relative to the NBA. It took him time to find shots he could get off quickly enough to be effective. Chick Hearn used to say, free throw percentage is a good indicator of how well a player shoots. Sasha is an excellent free throw shooter with a fg% over 90. Sasha hasn't yet been able to convert what he does in practice to game situations on a consistent basis. He should be an excellent field goal shooter eventually. The key is patience.

The fact that Sasha shoots lights out in practice doesn't amount to a hill of beans. He's a 30% shooter when it counts. And we're not even talking about clutch situations when the pressure is uber-high. We're talking about your basic run-of-the-mill in-game play. These guys have been playing in front of people going back to peewee and youth leagues. And sure, this is the NBA. But he felt he was ready. He was mad that he didn't get PT last year. He panicked when Phil threatened to send him to the D-League this year. And yet, the guy still can't shoot.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject:

where are these comparisons to peja coming from?
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

Agreed. Stop comparing him to Peja. Sasha will never ever be Peja or even close to him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject:

Careful... It is to soon to make that call...
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject:

i guess since the lakers may be getting ready to swoon, and we lost to the clipps, it's bringing out the bash Sasha threads again.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject:

Sasha's free throw percentage is 92.3%, which is higher than Peja's. Sasha is 21, which is the same age Peja was in his rookie year. Other young players also showed their promise first in practice. Jermaine O'Neal was a very good player in practices prior to showing it in games. Sasha is still young. We need to give him time.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject:

angel wrote:
Sasha's free throw percentage is 92.3%, which is higher than Peja's. Sasha is 21, which is the same age Peja was in his rookie year. Other young players also showed their promise first in practice. Jermaine O'Neal was a very good player in practices prior to showing it in games. Sasha is still young. We need to give him time.

It's actually 90.9% which is still excellent. However, 90.9% of 33 attempts (Sasha's total for this season so far) still produces a lot less points than 64.7% of 116 attempts (Smush's numbers this season).

If Sasha ever grows a pair of juevos and starts taking the ball to the hoop, then his FT% might actually have some meaningful impact on the game.
osj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject:

twoface723 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

Agreed. Stop comparing him to Peja. Sasha will never ever be Peja or even close to him.

the point is not that sasha will ever be as good as peja. the point is that even peja took time to adjust to the NBA. is that so difficult to understand?

sasha can develop into a good role player on this team. it's not fair to expect him to fill the gaps that we do have. that is management's job to fill.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject:

Sasha is a 21 year old 6-7 guard that can shoot and handle the ball reasonably and has improved from one season (rookie year) to the next. Please, this is enough for me to not want to give up on the guy.

Give me a break, no one really knows how he will turn out in a couple of years when he will be around 23 years old which is about the same age as an NBA rookie coming out of college. But considering that the guy has shown that he can definitely shoot the ball (especially in practice) and considering his age and improvement over last year I'd say the guy could very easily become an even better player than Steve Kerr as some suggest.

Clearly in a couple of years at the young age of 23 and assuming he shows as much improvement each year I can see Sasha averaging at the very minimum; 8-10 ppg and 4-6 apg and with pretty good defense.

What is important to keep in mind here is that considering those stats which are actually reasonably conservative, Sasha at the age of 23 would actually be much better than most other 23 year old guards in the league.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
lak_repeat
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject:

Some peoples comments are rediclous, crazy, and show no logic. Lets bring up some of the "Cook sucks and was a wasted pick" threads from last year. Cook is just now starting to come into his own and he was a 4 year college player, and it took him a couple of years to start getting it and what is he 26? Sasha is what 21? Sasha is expanding his game before our eyes, did you see him drive to the top of the key and pop a swish last game? I see him as a 14-16 avg within the next two years. And how knows maybe even more.
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject:

The only reason why his stats are improving is because he is getting more PT than last year. IMO It doesn't mean he is a better player than last year. He looks like the same Sasha to me. I think optimism is blinding fact to some.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject:

twoface723 wrote:
The only reason why his stats are improving is because he is getting more PT than last year. IMO It doesn't mean he is a better player than last year. He looks like the same Sasha to me. I think optimism is blinding fact to some.

Or it could be that pessimism is blinding the eye of fair judgement for some on here.
LakeLakeLake
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
angel wrote:

The fact that Sasha shoots lights out in practice doesn't amount to a hill of beans. He's a 30% shooter when it counts. And we're not even talking about clutch situations when the pressure is uber-high. We're talking about your basic run-of-the-mill in-game play. These guys have been playing in front of people going back to peewee and youth leagues. And sure, this is the NBA. But he felt he was ready. He was mad that he didn't get PT last year. He panicked when Phil threatened to send him to the D-League this year. And yet, the guy still can't shoot.

Wth? He makes 33% from behind the arc which is not that bad. His overall fg% is just slightly better because he takes a lot of long 2pt attempts and more than a half of his attempts are from 3pt land.

Give him one more year to develop. He could be a serviceable role player next year.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: