Dwight Howard and Avery Bradley among players that do not want to play
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
x75274 wrote:

Literally anybody else with a high profile name would have been better to lead this cause than Kyrie.

When jocks, actors, and celebrities start to talk about social issues, my eyes tend to glaze over. There are more informed people to listen to on these subjects. I get that they can attract the attention of people who would otherwise not care, but I'm not going to spend time listening to NBA players about this stuff. So I'm pretty indifferent to what the players union does.

Amen.
x75274
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Kyrie is such a disingenuous schmuk and Dwight seems foolish. Avery Bradley is the only guy I respect amongst this group. Glad people are coming out and blasting Kyrie for the nutjob he is, especially Perk.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject:

I don’t care about Kyrie, but I do feel that Dwight is coming from a genuine place. The Lakers is the right team to be on when taking a stand, but at the end of the day, if Covid isn’t an issue, I’m sure they’ll be basketball.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:27 am    Post subject:

Dwight is related to Paul Howard, district attorney in Atlanta. He was present at the arraignment. He wore a “breathe again” tshirt.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject:

x75274 wrote:
Kyrie is such a disingenuous schmuk and Dwight seems foolish. Avery Bradley is the only guy I respect amongst this group. Glad people are coming out and blasting Kyrie for the nutjob he is, especially Perk.

Kendrick Perkins said the " If a bird had Kyrie's brain, it would fly backwards".
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
x75274 wrote:

Kendrick Perkins said the " If a bird had Kyrie's brain, it would fly backwards".

ouch
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject:

x75274 wrote:

Totally agree.

Kyrie is a dumbass and Dwight is all about Dwight.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:42 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
activeverb wrote:
x75274 wrote:

Literally anybody else with a high profile name would have been better to lead this cause than Kyrie.

When jocks, actors, and celebrities start to talk about social issues, my eyes tend to glaze over. There are more informed people to listen to on these subjects. I get that they can attract the attention of people who would otherwise not care, but I'm not going to spend time listening to NBA players about this stuff. So I'm pretty indifferent to what the players union does.

Kyrie and Dwight have the correct message, but there needs to be someone with better leadership and a plan. A Lebron, Steph or someone of that ilk.

Kyrie and Dwight don’t exactly have the best reputation professionally so their message gets lost.

Given Kyrie’s personality, I questioned his motives and intentions. Now it’s comes out via Matt Barnes that Kyrie did this because he wouldn’t be allowed to come to Orlando.

I agree..but I think athletes like Lebron and Steph maybe see a different picture. I mean if baseball decides not to play, basketball will be the only big sport playing. With people in semi-lockdown and some unemployed, this could be the biggest TV audience in years!

So they could use that to get the message out on racial inequality and bring awareness far greater than not playing would do. Plus use the proceeds towards communities and helping end inequality. Something like this comes every so many many many years or maybe never again.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
activeverb wrote:
x75274 wrote:

Kyrie and Dwight have the correct message, but there needs to be someone with better leadership and a plan. A Lebron, Steph or someone of that ilk.

Kyrie and Dwight don’t exactly have the best reputation professionally so their message gets lost.

Given Kyrie’s personality, I questioned his motives and intentions. Now it’s comes out via Matt Barnes that Kyrie did this because he wouldn’t be allowed to come to Orlando.

I agree..but I think athletes like Lebron and Steph maybe see a different picture. I mean if baseball decides not to play, basketball will be the only big sport playing. With people in semi-lockdown and some unemployed, this could be the biggest TV audience in years!

So they could use that to get the message out on racial inequality and bring awareness far greater than not playing would do. Plus use the proceeds towards communities and helping end inequality. Something like this comes every so many many many years or maybe never again.

For sure. No matter what Lebron or Steph do, they have the ultimate platform. They don’t need to sit to send a powerful message and like you said they know that.

Kyrie’s antics and reputation makes his message fall on deaf ears. His teammates threw him under the bus by leaking the group chat just like he threw them under the bus during the season, basically implying they were scrubs.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Returning to the Caucasian perspective of business as normal is the issue. We all have a choice to return to normal or to apply whatever leverage we have in our professional careers to either apply pressure (which would put our own financial lives on the line) or to suit up and move the gears than make the country run. For the first time ever the common folk have a say in the control of the American machine. It’s up to every individual to choose - save the system that is oppressive to many of our own countrymen, or let it take its natural course of unsustainably.
Raiderfann2001
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
Returning to the Caucasian perspective of business as normal is the issue. We all have a choice to return to normal or to apply whatever leverage we have in our professional careers to either apply pressure (which would put our own financial lives on the line) or to suit up and move the gears than make the country run. For the first time ever the common folk have a say in the control of the American machine. It’s up to every individual to choose - save the system that is oppressive to many of our own countrymen, or let it take its natural course of unsustainably.

So get back to work or collect welfare? Seriously. You can fight for change while WORKING! The shut down economy hurts the poor and middle class for than the rich. Don't these lives matter too?
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:34 am    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
x75274 wrote:

Totally agree.

Explain what the heck that means in THIS context.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject:

Lou Williams 50/50 on playing
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
x75274 wrote:

Totally agree.

Explain what the heck that means in THIS context.

lot of venom being spewed.. probably lockup and such got people too wound up

Just seeing the t-shirt and mask on Dwight and him obviously taking the personal time to be present doesn't look like Dwight being all about Dwight

If Black Professionals stay quiet who wins
MANY of these men came from the streets and still have family and friend living in horrible conditions.. I am sure they are speaking from experience...
10,000 Hours
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Troubling to hear for any Laker fan. Any new updates on their stance?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject:

I know, I know, I know....

....but it would still be sad and deflating if these two gents didn't finish out this journey. They worked hard this season as reclamation stories. I think they would be selling themselves short by sitting out and would regret it later. And the Lakers FO took chances on both of them and were criticized and laughed at in both cases. It would suck if they go out there as something else than what they were when they were 49-14 with wins over MIL/LAC. I know they have other things on their minds, but looking back, they might wonder what if.

And I don't think we win without them. Our margin is that slim. We need every man making up this chitty-chitty-bang-bang roster that coalesced so well. I have little to no interest in watching that if it turns out to be the case. This is a case where I think both should at least consider Jeanie for having them at that time in their careers. They should consider their own work. Bradley wanted to prove he wasn't the player he was with the Clippers and Dwight was eager and quick to re-sign with the Lakers and fix what happened when he was last here. Both of them were doing that to a (bleepin) tee. It would be a shame, but I do get the bigger picture. If ultimately they can't reconcile, I won't insult or criticize them.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
I know, I know, I know....

....but it would still be sad and deflating if these two gents didn't finish out this journey. They worked hard this season as reclamation stories. I think they would be selling themselves short by sitting out and would regret it later. And the Lakers FO took chances on both of them and were criticized and laughed at in both cases. It would suck if they go out there as something else than what they were when they were 49-14 with wins over MIL/LAC. I know they have other things on their minds, but looking back, they might wonder what if.

And I don't think we win without them. Our margin is that slim. We need every man making up this chitty-chitty-bang-bang roster that coalesced so well. I have little to no interest in watching that if it turns out to be the case. This is a case where I think both should at least consider Jeanie for having them at that time in their careers. They should consider their own work. Bradley wanted to prove he wasn't the player he was with the Clippers and Dwight was eager and quick to re-sign with the Lakers and fix what happened when he was last here. Both of them were doing that to a (bleepin) tee. It would be a shame, but I do get the bigger picture. If ultimately they can't reconcile, I won't insult or criticize them.

I agree if Bradley and Dwight sit out Th e Lakers lost a lot. I am wondering who else would sit out on other teams through. I am hearing above Lou Williams is a maybe. So in the end of enough sit out it could be hard to tell what the final look. But if that happens, it seems Like it wound truly be not a true championship. Beating a team that doesn’t have all that players and it’s not due to injury seems off?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject:

With the lip service that the league is paying toward the virus and the making up of rules in the fly this thing is turning into a joke. 2019-2020 will have no champion, better to work on not screwing up the 2020-2021 season. For the price of greed they will possibly end up screwing up both seasons.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
They worked hard this season as reclamation stories. I think they would be selling themselves short by sitting out and would regret it later.

Another possibility: They might sit out. A Laker who decides to play will get the virus and die. Don't think they'd regret their decision at all in that scenario, which is a possibility.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
They worked hard this season as reclamation stories. I think they would be selling themselves short by sitting out and would regret it later.

Another possibility: They might sit out. A Laker who decides to play will get the virus and die. Don't think they'd regret their decision at all in that scenario, which is a possibility.

Another possibility: player chooses to sit out and contracts the virus because he was in a less controlled environment interacting with friends, family, going to the store or meetings in his community.

In some ways “choosing to live in the NBA playoff bubble “ could be one of the safer places to be for a couple mos.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Without being privy to any medical records, I do feel most players have a much better than average chance if recovering from COVID than of death. While they may not be in shape - their health is so much superior than the average global citizen.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

I understand that, we're all living the "dream" here. Choosing FL, either having to because of logistics or whatever, doesn't exactly help the situation on the Covid front.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject:

I’d wager that they’re the two players whom tested positive for coronavirus in March.
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
I’d wager that they’re the two players whom tested positive for coronavirus in March.

Thought that might be a possibility as well. Seeing how the virus has affected others, it would not be surprising. It can significantly change how one looks at priorities in life.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject:

I think they will all play when the time comes. They are going to be HUGE favorites to win it all if they have their whole team together, I don’t think they’ll want to pass that up.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10
Jump to: