Dwight Howard and Avery Bradley among players that do not want to play
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
brock wrote:

What lasting change are you seeing? I see the movement producing nothing but negative consequences for black people.

There's been changes to policing and police officers reprimanded in several cities ( https://tinyurl.com/yd9cphmu ) . The charges for Chauvin started off as manslaughter/3rd degree murder. It's been moved up to 2nd degree. When the protests started the other officers weren't even charged and the people running the investigation said in a press conference to be patient. Then after a little over a week of protests they were arrested.
MJ has donated 100 mill I think.
The list is very long. But there is still alot left worth protesting for. For example, Breonna Taylor needs justice.

and yet you still saw the ATL incident 2 days back
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Reading some of these comments should let people know why nothing is ever going to change when it comes to race relations in America. Ever!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
kikanga wrote:
brock wrote:

What lasting change are you seeing? I see the movement producing nothing but negative consequences for black people.

There's been changes to policing and police officers reprimanded in several cities ( https://tinyurl.com/yd9cphmu ) . The charges for Chauvin started off as manslaughter/3rd degree murder. It's been moved up to 2nd degree. When the protests started the other officers weren't even charged and the people running the investigation said in a press conference to be patient. Then after a little over a week of protests they were arrested.
The list is very long. But there is still alot left worth protesting for. For example, Breonna Taylor needs justice.

Not to mention 2 hangings in 2 weeks in southern California. 1 in Palmdale. 1 in Victorville. Police says there was no foul play (suicides). But it's a little suspicious since both were done by government buildings in front of flag poles.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
kikanga wrote:
brock wrote:

Not to mention 2 hangings in 2 weeks in southern California. 1 in Palmdale. 1 in Victorville. Police says there was no foul play (suicides). But it's a little suspicious since both were done by government buildings in front of flag poles.

Yeah, out of all the ways to commit suicide, let me go find a tree miles away from my home, set up a noose and do it that way. Ridiculous that anyone would even believe something so stupid.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Dwight has not ruled out a return to play, per his agent.

Quote:
The Lakers were initially concerned that Howard planned to sit out the rest of the season to focus on the social injustices facing Black and African-Americans in this country based on the sentiments he shared on the call and the subsequent statement he issued, sources told ESPN.

Howard's agent, Charles Briscoe, told ESPN on Sunday that his client hasn't made a decision about playing basketball again this season because basketball is the furthest thing from his mind at this moment.

"The statement was about social injustice and racism," Briscoe said. "Yet everybody is still talking about whether basketball should be played. He isn't saying that basketball shouldn't be. He's just saying that you should not be taking attention away from what's going on in the country to talk about basketball. Basketball is just a sport, at the end of the day. But what's going on with people dying in the streets, that's something real. That statement, it had nothing to do with sports. It had everything to do with racism and social injustice."

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
One quote from Kyrie: “There’s only 20 guys actually getting paid, and I’m part of that. Let’s not pretend there’s not a tiered system purposely to divide all of us.”

This guy is trying to be deep and smart and he really isn't. With no max salaries, guys like Bron and Kobe would be the only ones getting PAID in the true sense of the word. Is Kyrie really willing to make the same amount as the last player on the bench? I'm just hearing a lot of gibberish from him right now.

Kyrie has no perspective.

The median salary in the US is $55,400. The media salary in the NBA is $3 million.

The lowest paid rookie in the NBA makes more in one year than the typical worker in the US makes in 15 years.

Every source not named Kyrie has reported that every player will receive their 24 biweekly paychecks, minus app. 25%.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
One quote from Kyrie: “There’s only 20 guys actually getting paid, and I’m part of that. Let’s not pretend there’s not a tiered system purposely to divide all of us.”

This guy is trying to be deep and smart and he really isn't. With no max salaries, guys like Bron and Kobe would be the only ones getting PAID in the true sense of the word. Is Kyrie really willing to make the same amount as the last player on the bench? I'm just hearing a lot of gibberish from him right now.

The median salary in the US is $55,400. The media salary in the NBA is $3 million.

The lowest paid rookie in the NBA makes more in one year than the typical worker in the US makes in 15 years.

Every source not named Kyrie has reported that every player will receive their 24 biweekly paychecks, minus app. 25%.

Here's how it works. Every season the players have 10% of their salary held in escrow in case the league revenue projections fall short.

In April, the players agreed to have another 25% withheld from their paychecks, because of the shortfall from the cancellation of games.

Ultimately, the final revenue figure will determine whether the players get any of that back, or they owe more to the owners.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Jeez y'all, LG is making me realize just how far to the left I've gone politically in the past 10 years. Some people here would really benefit from taking an ethnic studies course or two to gain some perspective outside of their own experience.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
kwase wrote:
The media is going to bend over backwards to take the focus off the protests and police killings as soon as the NBA restarts. They're going to focus on what great lives these black athletes have and how blessed they are. It's the old bait and switch tactic that happens over and over again.

I always roll my eyes when people talk about "the media" as if it's one thing with one agenda rather than countless outlets across the political spectrum.

Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:10 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Jeez y'all, LG is making me realize just how far to the left I've gone politically in the past 10 years. Some people here would really benefit from taking an ethnic studies course or two to gain some perspective outside of their own experience.

I've taking several cultural studies classes. Everytime was just a bunch of people who were on the left agreeing with a teacher who was very left. Took a bunch of econ classes as well. Was a nice balance of left and right ideas and really showed how both sides are biased.

I like and respect the members of LG but its has a major left slant that doesn't always portray how most of america thinks or feels. America is a melting pot of cultures with different beliefs and ideas.

A lot of small business owners here in LA just want to get back to business and the last thing they want is to have protests and riots on the streets destabilizing the economy.

I respect the protest but the gangs who have followed them have looted and burned many businesses here in LA and around the country.

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:58 am; edited 4 times in total
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:23 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Reading some of these comments should let people know why nothing is ever going to change when it comes to race relations in America. Ever!

Pretty much.

I wouldn't worry about it though. The league will shut down again as soon as a player contracts COVID-19 and that will be inevitable.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:04 am    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:
kwase wrote:

Pretty much.

I wouldn't worry about it though. The league will shut down again as soon as a player contracts COVID-19 and that will be inevitable.

true x 2
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:
kwase wrote:

Pretty much.

They have plans for if a player tests positive. It would take more than one and probably would have to be close to a major outbreak (multiple players on multiple teams) for them to shut down again this time.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:

Or maybe you would benefit from reaching out from your perspective. But you are always right and anyone different is wrong, amirite? Take your own advice.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Here's how it works. Every season the players have 10% of their salary held in escrow in case the league revenue projections fall short.

In April, the players agreed to have another 25% withheld from their paychecks, because of the shortfall from the cancellation of games.

Ultimately, the final revenue figure will determine whether the players get any of that back, or they owe more to the owners.

Whatever, to the bolded more than 20 players are getting paid.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

I've taking several cultural studies classes. Everytime was just a bunch of people who were on the left agreeing with a teacher who was very left. Took a bunch of econ classes as well. Was a nice balance of left and right ideas and really showed how both sides are biased.

I like and respect the members of LG but its has a major left slant that doesn't always portray how most of america thinks or feels. America is a melting pot of cultures with different beliefs and ideas.

A lot of small business owners here in LA just want to get back to business and the last thing they want is to have protests and riots on the streets destabilizing the economy.

I respect the protest but the gangs who have followed them have looted and burned many businesses here in LA and around the country.

It’s not just business owners. Some people just want to be able to feed their kids and find themselves having to shop in stores like this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RedPillMaC/status/1272608421804740618
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
What I want to know is... how does not playing do anything for the movement? How does keeping fans and the NBA hostage do anything? The NBA is not the policy makers of the country. Say the NBA shuts down today, and will never come back ever again in the name of BLM. Does that change anything? Are there diehard NBA fans who are policy makers, who will then try and past legislation to appease the NBA and BLM, just so basketball can come back? I don't think so. I don't think they care you don't play, I don't think they care that you'll be gone forever.

It depends on what their demands are. If the players said we won't play until some real reform laws hit the books I can absolutely see owners getting with their municipalities to push some changes through. I don't think the players will ever be that unified but if they were....

But simply saying we not playing and that's it, I'm not so sure. Maybe if the NFL players did something like that it may make a difference in their sport.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
What I want to know is... how does not playing do anything for the movement? How does keeping fans and the NBA hostage do anything? The NBA is not the policy makers of the country. Say the NBA shuts down today, and will never come back ever again in the name of BLM. Does that change anything? Are there diehard NBA fans who are policy makers, who will then try and past legislation to appease the NBA and BLM, just so basketball can come back? I don't think so. I don't think they care you don't play, I don't think they care that you'll be gone forever.

It depends on what their demands are. If the players said we won't play until some real reform laws hit the books I can absolutely see owners getting with their municipalities to push some changes through. I don't think the players will ever be that unified but if they were....

But simply saying we not playing and that's it, I'm not so sure. Maybe if the NFL players did something like that it may make a difference in their sport.

hence i asked couple of posts back: what is the tangible outcome for them to cancel the season.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Whatever, to the bolded more than 20 players are getting paid.

That's not what Kyrie meant when he said only 20 players were getting paid. He meant that, in his view, only 20 players were making a significant amount of money - ie, over $30 million a year.

It's about players getting paid what they're worth; not about them continuing to receive their paychecks.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
What is a tangible outcome of this sitting out and canceling?

The protests have already resulted in tangible outcomes. Significant ones. Keeping the pressure turned up could have any number of positive actions implemented, more reforms, accountability, etc.

People taunted Kap for kneeling but I think that has had an effect. You don't know until you try. Show your children that you can stand for something more than money and fame. People with different agendas will always tell you what you are doing is foolish or wont work.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ocho wrote:
Dwight released a statement further clarifying his desire to cancel the season:

Quote:
“I agree with Kyrie (Irving). Basketball, or entertainment period, isn’t needed at this moment, and will only be a distraction. Sure it might not distract us the players, but we have resources at hand majority of our community don’t have. And the smallest distraction for them, can start a trickle down effect that may never stop. Especially with the way the climate is now. I would love nothing more than to win my very first NBA Championship. But the unity of My People would be an even bigger Championship, that’s just too beautiful to pass up. What better time than now for us to be focusing on our families?

“This is a rare opportunity that, I believe, we as a community should be taking full advantage of. When have we ever had this amount of time to sit and be with our families? This is where our Unity starts. At home! With Family!! European Colonization stripped us of our rich history, and we have yet to sit down and figure us out. The less distractions, the more we can put into action into rediscovering ourselves. Nations come out of families. Black/African American is not a Nation or Nationality. It’s time Our Families became their own Nations. No Basketball till we get things resolved.”

LINK

There are a ton of false platitudes he's spouting and co-opting.

NBA players are used to giving cliched answers to cliched questions.

Yeah, it's a grandiose, meaningless hyperbola.

If starting up the NBA is all it takes to significantly distract from the BLM movement, the movement doesn't have much of a chance.

And when he says "til we get things resolved," what does that mean? I don't know, and I doubt Dwight does either.

I support him not playing. But I also hope that if this players' movemement gains momentum that better messengers come forward than Kyrie and Dwight.

If the players union decides not to play as a protest, I'll respect that. But I do think they'd need more articulate spokespeople than Kyrie and Dwight.

I can agree with this.
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
drae wrote:
Austin Rivers response to Kyrie's points:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EaZL7evXQAE29ht?format=jpg&name=large

Austin Rivers is right, players can play ball and still make a difference in society, he also has a good point that not playing this year could put the players in a bad spot and also the 2021 season in a bad spot.

What difference in the community has Austin Rivers made? What a joke. He misses his checks, that’s it.

What about Dwight? The only contribution to our community that Dwight has made that I am aware of is contribuiting far more children out of wedlock than the average brother.
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
TheKing23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject:

I just want this season to have some closure...
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:
“I agree with Kyrie (Irving). Basketball, or entertainment period, isn’t needed at this moment, and will only be a distraction. Sure it might not distract us the players, but we have resources at hand majority of our community don’t have. And the smallest distraction for them, can start a trickle down effect that may never stop. Especially with the way the climate is now. I would love nothing more than to win my very first NBA Championship. But the unity of My People would be an even bigger Championship, that’s just too beautiful to pass up. What better time than now for us to be focusing on our families?

“This is a rare opportunity that, I believe, we as a community should be taking full advantage of. When have we ever had this amount of time to sit and be with our families? This is where our Unity starts. At home! With Family!! European Colonization stripped us of our rich history, and we have yet to sit down and figure us out. The less distractions, the more we can put into action into rediscovering ourselves. Nations come out of families. Black/African American is not a Nation or Nationality. It’s time Our Families became their own Nations. No Basketball till we get things resolved.”

LINK

If starting up the NBA is all it takes to significantly distract from the BLM movement, the movement doesn't have much of a chance.

And when he says "til we get things resolved," what does that mean? I don't know, and I doubt Dwight does either.

I support him not playing. But I also hope that if this players' movemement gains momentum that better messengers come forward than Kyrie and Dwight.

If the players union decides not to play as a protest, I'll respect that. But I do think they'd need more articulate spokespeople than Kyrie and Dwight.

Totally agree, however, we're talking about the same players' union who's members thought it would be wise to vote in Kyrie as their VP of their Executive Committee. So yeah, a bit of perspective. They definitely need someone that isn't openly regarded as a perpetual disruptor leading the way.
x75274
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Rek wrote:
activeverb wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

LINK

Totally agree, however, we're talking about the same players' union who's members thought it would be wise to vote in Kyrie as their VP of their Executive Committee. So yeah, a bit of perspective. They definitely need someone that isn't openly regarded as a perpetual disruptor leading the way.

Literally anybody else with a high profile name would have been better to lead this cause than Kyrie.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10
Jump to: