OT: Leap Year 2000 game at PORT (Chick)

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: OT: Leap Year 2000 game at PORT (Chick)

Member this game? Weird how it was 20 yrs ago and yet it still seems semi-relevant. The game 20 yrs later looks more like 2000 than 2000 looked like 1980, get me?

There's no way Sac was better than this team. The Blazers were all unsure of themselves and on a wire and yet they still could beat us half the time at either building. They had a much more effective counter to Shaq than SAC. If you watch this recap, you can see him not getting his standard deep position, once to Chick's ire. That happened to him in the playoff series too. One difference of many between Phil and Del is that Phil said stop throwing it into Shaq. Hearken back to 97 and 98 with Del doing nothing but dumping it into Shaq so he could get stripped from all their wristslappers.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Leap Year 2000 game at PORT (Chick)

non-player zealot wrote:
https://youtu.be/M0pRjoHy9Uo

Member this game? Weird how it was 20 yrs ago and yet it still seems semi-relevant. The game 20 yrs later looks more like 2000 than 2000 looked like 1980, get me?

There's no way Sac was better than this team. The Blazers were all unsure of themselves and on a wire and yet they still could beat us half the time at either building. They had a much more effective counter to Shaq than SAC. If you watch this recap, you can see him not getting his standard deep position, once to Chick's ire. That happened to him in the playoff series too. One difference of many between Phil and Del is that Phil said stop throwing it into Shaq. Hearken back to 97 and 98 with Del doing nothing but dumping it into Shaq so he could get stripped from all their wristslappers.

Well...

Del.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject:

Thanks!
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Leap Year 2000 game at PORT (Chick)

non-player zealot wrote:
https://youtu.be/M0pRjoHy9Uo

This is an amazing upload. yes 2000 vs 1980 is like post-ww2 USA vs colonial usa.

Del is regrettable on many levels. I think he was either bullied or charmed by Shaq in a way Shaq couldn't do to Phil. But Shaq carried a lot of weight always, lol, no pun intended. I think Shaq was largely responsible for the way Van Exel's years on the Lakers ended, and I don't want to get into it lolll.

This game is a GREAT example to show how powerful that Portland team was. Yes, they were mercenaries and soulless and didn't have the right kind of appeal the NBA likes their champions to have, but they were a great team. Very strong in many ways, and better than perhaps most of the teams, even champions, today. I also want to point out again that even old Pippen is so much better than i think people think. Better than you know who.

Rasheed is like one of the OG laker killers. Like Paul Milsap but way more. I mean, he technically beat the Lakers on the Pistons in one of the greatest shockers in sports history. He was a killer all those years on portland. Everyone who was invested during that time remembers....how it's like he wouldn't ever miss those damn mid range shots. It's what made the Game7 comeback so shocking. People laugh at Portland for choking, but that was a very very rarer event for them....nobody was laughing at them at the time nor expecting them to miss that much. Rasheed especially had several "heartbreakers"... it was that close. (and for those who think I'm a ref conspiracist in regarding unfair treatment of the Lakers/Kobe...perhaps the moratorium is over and I can freely say now....Steve Smith has a legit gripe about game7 and the uncalled foul on Shaq. but I don't want to cause any butterfly effect ripples as that moment was the nexus of the glorious Laker run).

the Blazers were very good vs Shaq. I would say in shaq's career no team defended him better than this portland squad. And no the 2004 pistons dont count and are a bunch of SH--. Pippen in particular was masterful in leading that defense, among the best defensive work I've ever seen. The way he orchestrated the paint and roaming etc during that series is like a master class of defense.

OK...great stuff. The long videos are great we get to really absorb the atmosphere...we have plenty of time to appreciate each quarter and let the drama build properly. All the new highlights basically only show the last 5 minutes of the 4th because in the modern nba that's the only time the teams actually play somewhat ok basketball.
LakersAlldaWay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:34 am    Post subject:

Remember this game like it was yesterday. So much hype surrounding it as well. Arnie Spanier made bets with his listeners that if the Lakers won he’d wash their cars. This season was magical in so many ways and loved to see how competitive and hungry the team was across the board..especially young Kobe. I had an extra credit assignment for my English class the same night to record The Simpsons Lord of the Flies episode so I had two VCRs going at once while recording this game.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:00 am    Post subject:

Kobe layup

Kobe dunk

Kobe dunk
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: