30-35 every game from Odom... And I wont be angry...just read
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coca James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: 30-35 every game from Odom... And I wont be angry...just read

Since we cant get him to be a solid second option, I want 30-35 total stats a game:

points+rebounds+assists = 30-35

If he meets this quota, I will not hate no matter what he does... unless he pulls another sacramento

This is what I am officially calling "A Lamar Odom Game"

ex: 17 points, 8 boards, 7 assists = 32
13 points, 11 boards, 6 assists = 30

ya know?

"I have to be assertive, and if the ball doesn't go in, it gives us a good rebounding opportunity." - Kobe
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject:

Well he's averaged at least 30 P+R+A twice in his career but both times he was the #1 option.
osj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject:

interesting point. but his current averages are 14.0 ppg, 9.3 rpg and 5.3 apg, for a total of 28.6 total stats which is not far from your benchmark, yet i figure you (like most fans) probably aren't satisfied with him yet.

i guess if he could get 20ppg, 10rpg and 6apg i'd be satisfied, but then he'd be one of the league's superstars, by any standards.

i think the problem with lamar is that he pretty much gets you his 14, 9 and 5 every game, and never produces more (points especially), even when the team needs it. in short, he's never able to rise to the occasion or raise his game when needed.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject:

With 19+ points, Lakers are 9 - 4
With 9+ rebounds, Lakers are 19 - 11
With 9+ assists, Lakers are 6 - 0

Basically if he plays above his usual mediocrity we win.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject:

You'll get this tonight...

Here is why. LO for some unexplainable reason knows when he has fell below standard in any contest and, will come flying out of the blocks after each and, every one of these failed attempts at "studliness" in the following contest. Have you noticed that?

LO, will be dazzling once again to make you wonder why he waites until the press and fans brutalize his efforts to ward that riducule off of him. Jax has worked wonders for Chris Mihm and, his now in the past infamous inconsistencies. Chris works hard pretty much every game. If anybody can get into the mind of a talent like Odom Jax can.

Just like I told you what would happen with Sac before this last contest. Watch what happens tonight... LO needs to get rid of the redeeming modes and, get serious about both his image and, his responsibility to this team.

I really do wish he would knock it off...
osj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:

to be fair, i wouldn't call 14/9/6 mediocre, but it just isn't what this team needs. kobe needs a solid 20/12 player beside him, that commands the respect of the opposing defence and is capable of going for 30 regularly if the opponent pays to much attention to kobe.

in lamar's case, even when the defense is swarming kobe, you don't see him exploding and taking his defender for 25-30 points.

btw what is lamar's best scoring outing for the lakers this season? anyone know? and how many times has he even scored over 20 points?
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject:

It must be the San Antonio contest. He scored 27. LO was huge in that contest and should have stayed on that page. He also grabbed 16 rebounds and was leading scorer in that contest as well as rebounds. LO took 25 shots though and, had but 3 assist. In the role Jax wants him to play that was'nt wanted. The Lakers still lost that contest and that would justify Jacksons argument I suppose.

Half the time it seems that LO is Just lost in assignment and, the other times it just seems he is just lost. That role is still a work in progress which is why I refuse to get mad at him...
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject:

to just add stats together would mean that rebounds, points, and assists would all have to be equal in value.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject:

osg wrote:
Quote:

interesting point. but his current averages are 14.0 ppg, 9.3 rpg and 5.3 apg, for a total of 28.6 total stats which is not far from your benchmark, yet i figure you (like most fans) probably aren't satisfied with him yet.

i guess if he could get 20ppg, 10rpg and 6apg i'd be satisfied, but then he'd be one of the league's superstars, by any standards.

i think the problem with lamar is that he pretty much gets you his 14, 9 and 5 every game, and never produces more (points especially), even when the team needs it. in short, he's never able to rise to the occasion or raise his game when needed.

Here's an interesting stat on Odom:

Odom leads the league BY A WIDE MARGIN as far as any players averaging LESS than 15 PPG who have a TOTAL STATS # ANY WHERE NEAR 28.6.

I think this would tell us that Odom is VERY unique as an NBA player.

Also it is interesting to note I think you are correct in that many would rate Odom as at least all-star level, if not a super star as you say, if Odom had the "20ppg, 10rpg and 6apg" stats you stated.

What makes this interesting is that Odom's stats are not that far off as you say yet he is generally regarded as a weak player by many.

Also it is interesting to note that [B]Odom's career[B] stats happen to be 15.8 ppg, 8.5 rpg and 4.5 apg, which is a [B]TOTAL STAT OF 28.8[B] and yet this is not regarded as a prime example of consistency in that he will always be very close to this level of play year to year throughout his career but is instead regarded as a weakness because he doesn't improve.

Another way to view Odom is maybe to value his high level of consistency year after year which is generally unmatched in the NBA rather than to complain that he does not improve his game year to year.

Just a thought...

Many complain that Odom has not improved his game however if you look at Garnett you will find that he has averaged the following RANGE of yearly stats between his 4th and current (11th season) which have not necessarily been an upward trend:

Garnett - 4th-11th seasons:
ppg: 20.8-24.2 (range 3.4)
rpg: 10.4-13.9 (range 3.5)
apg: 4.3-6.0 (range 1.7)

Garnett - 2nd-11th seasons:
ppg: 17.0-24.2 (range 6.2)
rpg: 8.0-13.9 (range 5.9)
apg: 3.1-6.0 (range 2.9)

Odoms ENTIRE career RANGE of yearly stats are very consistant and yes from the negative aspect show little improvement:

Odom - entire career:
ppg: 13.1-17.1 (range 4)
rpg: 7.8-10.2 (range 2.4)
apg: 3.6-5.9 (range (2.3)

It should be mentioned that two of Odom's years were impacted by injuries where when he played in only 29 and 49 games those two years and that in those two years he had significant career lows in both of his rpg and ppg season averages.

So while yes, Garnett did show some improvement from his very first year the fact is that both of these players have very consistent stats that are relatively even year to year in general. Both players came into the league at about the same age. Both of these players have similar type of stats in that they both facilitate and rebound very well.

The only glaring difference in consistency between the two players statistically is that Odom did have a much better rookie year as compared to Garnett. But other than that neither player has really continued to build on their career numbers but rather have been very consistent from year to year with very little variance, especially when taking into account injury impacted seasons.

Conclusion: Again I will say in no way am I making any kind of assertion that Odom is near the player that Garnett is and is not the purpose of this post. But what I am saying is that the two players have statistical similarities as NBA players go and that they both are relatively consistent statistically from year to year.

A lot is made of Odom's inconsistency as a player, yet over the years he actually does show a surprising consistency in that he will produce very similar seasonal averages.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...

Last edited by LA_Lakers_Rule on Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject:

Quote:
kobe needs a solid 20/12 player beside him

The irony of this statement ......
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
osj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
kobe needs a solid 20/12 player beside him

The irony of this statement ......

shaq? well...either we'd be a team with shaq and no kobe, and in the same (or worse) place that we're in now, or we might've been more competitive for a couple of seasons, then had to go through the same thing we're going through now.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
With 19+ points, Lakers are 9 - 4
With 9+ rebounds, Lakers are 19 - 11
With 9+ assists, Lakers are 6 - 0

mm708
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Will he ever average this?

NO
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Lamar's stats are not the problem / solution. Lamar's level of concentration, effort and focus are.

His only true knock is inconsistency. This may never go away.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Uberzev - I love your new picture. That says it all!!

lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject:

kobe produces, 35+5+5 = 45
Lamar produces 14+9+6=28 = 73

Shaq produced 27+10+3= 40
Kobe produced 27+5+5=37 = 77

*Average estimations for shaq and kobe*

Rebound for kobe and lamar = 14
Rebounds for shaq and kobe= 15

Assist for kobe and lamar =11
Assists for shaq and kobe=8

Points for kobe and lamar= 49
Point for shaq and kobe =49???

I know i averaged down most of the kobe/shaq stats but relatively thats were they were during the dynasty more or less...interesing everything is about the same, and the point worked out the same? The key is balance basically , thats what we dont have....BALANCE damn !!!so easy yet so complicated
osj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
I know i averaged down most of the kobe/shaq stats but relatively thats were they were during the dynasty more or less...interesing everything is about the same, and the point worked out the same? The key is balance basically , thats what we dont have....BALANCE damn !!!so easy yet so complicated

with shaq (in his prime) and kobe, we had two players who commanded double-teams...get the ball to one, let him draw the double team, and the other guy could then kill his man one-on-one.

nobody is ever going to double-team lamar odom.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject:

uumm we have two players who commanded double teams but it was a whole lot of shaq double teams, kobe played alot of 1-1 b ball. If lamar would average 19 and kobe 30, teams wouldnt be triple teaming and double teaming kobe all game...its all about the mind set off lamar odom, and thats the unfortunate part because its easier too get some too shoot less , then force them too shot more because they simply dont know how too play the other way around.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject:

Odom had a 31 which is fine. Just would have liked to see some of that production in the third when we really needed it.
Sidious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject:

He had a nice little run at the end. But the problem is basketball is 4 quarters, he didn't do jack (bleep) the first 3 quarters. Too little too late.
Coca James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject:

31 today from Odom... I said I wouldnt be angry.. He had a Lamar Odom Game

"I have to be assertive, and if the ball doesn't go in, it gives us a good rebounding opportunity." - Kobe
NY_LakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject:

Sidious wrote:
He had a nice little run at the end. But the problem is basketball is 4 quarters, he didn't do jack (bleep) the first 3 quarters. Too little too late.

Unbelievable. FREAKIN unbelievable.

Aren't the same poster who once said Lamar's problem is he does great during the first three quarters but disappears when the game is on the line. Now ... he admittedly had a mediocre game through 3 and then comes alive at crunch time and you're still upset with him.

How can you not see how stupid this line of logic is??? If he performed at the level he did last night in the 4th for all four quarters he'd be a cross between Jason Kidd and Kevin Garnett. There is NO ONE IN THE LEAGUE that puts up the kind of numbers all you Odom haters seem to think he should. Ridiculous expectations is the real problem with you all.

The hard truth about Odom is ... he is a very good player. Not a super star. Will not be a super star. But he IS a damn good player who is paid right at the level he should be for what he brings.

The other truth is Odom gave us a chance to win last night and KOBE BLEW IT with a mindless, stupid foul. SO does THAT make Kobe worthless???? Of course not. But if it had been Odom who did that ... the hate in here would have been unbelievable.
osj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject:

Just_Looking wrote:
Unbelievable. FREAKIN unbelievable.

Aren't the same poster who once said Lamar's problem is he does great during the first three quarters but disappears when the game is on the line. Now ... he admittedly had a mediocre game through 3 and then comes alive at crunch time and you're still upset with him.

part of the problem with lamar is that he's inconsistent WITHIN the game, as well as from game to game. the team never knows what lamar is going to give them at any given moment, and that causes chaos.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject:

osj wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:

with shaq (in his prime) and kobe, we had two players who commanded double-teams...get the ball to one, let him draw the double team, and the other guy could then kill his man one-on-one.

nobody is ever going to double-team lamar odom.
what are you talking about? they double team him all the time in the post, which is why he should be there fascilitating/passing out of the post at least half the game...kobe's got an outside shot, lamar doesn't. doesn't work for him to be on the perimeter all the time, and if kobe doesn't like it, that's too bad...it's what's best for the team. Kobe needs to realize where each player needs to play to maximize their talents...instead of trying to force a square peg into a round hole...we don't have the shooters on this team to be able to afford the luxury of our best shooter playing out of the post. This isn't the same team MJ had. I thought Phil had realized that, but I guess not.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject:

Lamar does well with iso's and on the post. Once he is aggressive he becomes nearly unstoppable.

I notice his game improves dramatically when there is an effective low post player in the game. This opens up an avenue for him to pass if the double comes while he is driving to the hoop.

He is finishing better lately also.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: